forum

Overmapping in Osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nightstalker
Hey, I'm generally interested in seeing how many people actually like or dislike overmapping in Osu!.
If you'd like to join in, then check out my poll on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/DACdesu/status/815183434620563458

And if you don't have a twitter account or you generally dislike Twitter, you can also share your opinion on this topic here if you like.
I like collecting data :3

So here's my opinion:

I generally think that Overmapping isn't too bad under certain conditions.
I believe to empathize something of the song by overmapping is actually pretty cool, but I also think that overmapping for the sake of slightly upping the difficulty of a diff can be useful aswell.

However, I personally think if something is constantly overmapped it can definitely ruin the entire experience for someone.

That's my opinion. I think if it's not completely overused it can be quite interesting from a mapping perspective, and open up or even add to the song gameplay-wise.

What do you think? Let me know :3
clover
sometimes its one of those songs where you can't avoid overmapping so you have to overmap, but then again there's that person who makes like a 30 second song 9 stars

so it's ok under certain conditions
o x
General Discussion is for non-osu related topics only, your post should be inGameplay & Rankings. Don't make a new thread a moderator will move this to the correct place.
Rilene

Cawub wrote:

General Discussion is for non-osu related topics only, your post should be inGameplay & Rankings. Don't make a new thread a moderator will move this to the correct place.
will it be really moved though?
unless if there is criteria on post effort
Topic Starter
Nightstalker

Rilene wrote:

Cawub wrote:

will it be really moved though?
unless if there is criteria on post effort
I hope it gets moved if I'm not supposed to post it here.
I'll wait, maybe the mods are a bit slow due to new year at the moment.
Estaryo
Depends on the Reason why it's Overmapped.

Good Reason's
- Create Differences in Sections/Songs
- Emphathize Sections
- Create Sections that are good for Practise

Bad Reasons:
- Troll
- The Mapper is bad
- Incrase of Starrating
Caput Mortuum
Overmapping should NEVER be justified unless the mapper has valid major reasons like reading problems or emphasis.
Irreversible
Overmapping is not okay, mapping is supposed to follow the song and not re-create it.
B1rd

Irreversible wrote:

Overmapping is not okay, mapping is supposed to follow the song and not re-create it.
There are no definite things of how mapping is 'supposed' to be done. Everyone has different interpretations of what mapping is about.
roufou
unranked/loved: who cares

ranked: it's kinda hard to set a bar on what is overmapping and isn't, it's not too hard to argue that a lot of perfectly acceptable and ranked maps are overmapped in a sense (less so in standard I think but I digress) if it's overmapped in the sense that it's just way denser than what makes sense for the map, it probably won't be ranked, and I would not change that if I could.
Caput Mortuum

B1rd wrote:

Irreversible wrote:

There are no definite things of how mapping is 'supposed' to be done. Everyone has different interpretations of what mapping is about.
That's why modding exist.
Topic Starter
Nightstalker

Eraser wrote:

That's why modding exist.
Tho, the problem with modding is that unexperienced and experienced modders mod the mapset and blur the line between something which needs to be fixed and something that could be changed because they don't like it. But I see where you're coming from.
_handholding
I see so many overmapped taiko maps in the ranked section all the fucking time
Meah
My teacher once said that anything with the word "Over" is bad.
Caput Mortuum

Kisses wrote:

I see so many overmapped taiko maps in the ranked section all the fucking time
Seems like the community accepts it, since there are no way to make the map harder.
So they started mapping long notes with streams instead.
Rilene

Meah wrote:

Same goes with "under"
Blitzfrog

Meah wrote:

Over the top isn't a bad thing

Actually on topic:

I think many mappers in osu who keeps saying each note should be mapped to a distinct sound in the music is not being musical at all.

After all, pianists are often taught, " The score is dead, but the feeling is alive".

A famous pianist, can't remember who, once said "music is freedom", what he was trying to give out was the fact that playing true to the score leads to a dead, robotic performance at its best.

Music is up to interpretation, many times in concert, the pianist would add a note here and there to better express their thoughts of the music. So in this sense, if what you're ultimately trying to achieve is to let the player feel a specific feeling, understand your expression, then its perfectly fine to overlap, to whatever extent.

For some of you who take things too litrately, I want to clarify there is a difference in interpretation and overruling. Interpretation is done after understanding the original ideas behind the music, then expressing it your way, similar to power phrasing, whereas overruling is just blindly putting in your expression.

You might be the other boys that go " But that's not appreciating the music the artist gave is it, adding notes here and there might as well add your name as the artist right?", no. Absolutely not.
Think of composers like teachers, they're trying to teach. Teach you about how they felt at that particular time they were creating the music. The phrasing you see on the score is only to help you express and learn/better understand what they're trying to express. Now let me ask you, if you had a student, and you teach them a definition of a word, would you rather they understand it, the taught someone else in their own words, or simply just take what you said and in the same exact words, pass it to someone else. If you're a sensible human being, I trust its the first.

"But you have only been babbling on about piano scoresheets, what about the actual game, what about osu"
I don't need to answer this do I
Soul Evans
Idea of overmapping is completely subjective

can you explain to me what ''overmapping'' is?
Blitzfrog

Soul Evans wrote:

can you explain to me what ''overmapping'' is?
Can you explain to me what music is?
o x

Soul Evans wrote:

Not really. Overmapping is adding objects where there are no sounds to be followed, or adding beats where there are no beats in the song.
Soul Evans

Blitzfrog wrote:

Can you explain to me what music is?
Yeah, exactly you can't how can you stop something that doesn't have a clear definition
What is music

Cawub wrote:

Not really. Overmapping is adding objects where there are no sounds to be followed, or adding beats where there are no beats in the song.
No, that's called having ghost notes in your map
o x
Stefan
Moving this to the proper place because no one else bothered to do this.