forum

Using a Tablet is better than a mouse?

posted
Total Posts
show more
ziin

Gonzzz wrote:

also 280bpm is impossible to do consistently rofl (by current standards), maybe ~240++ if you're a top tier player. hell chipscape is 220bpm and you don't see peeps getting 99% on that, hurr.
232 BPM, 2 fingers, 2 hands,99% accuracy. Yes I know, different game. Point is arch0wl's not even one of the best, and even he can 2 finger a 500 note stream with nothing but perfect/marvelous.
Waryas
2 fingers 2 hands is completely different than using your index/middle finger (AKA fullkeyboard on osu standard).
Taiko players can achieve high bpm too because of this (see TTTL).
And you don't need tablet to do it on osu : just go click + keyboard and if you really want to use your pen then just go tap+keyboard but you might need a higher quality tablet if you want to go with tap+kb (intuos preferably) since the magnet is more stable during taps ergo your cursor won't shake as much during fast streams.
Wishy

KRZY wrote:

I love how people say "I can do 280bpm streams" when all they can manage is the occasional FC of a 9-note stream at that speed.

Also why did the discussion go from tablet vs. mouse to showing off stream speeds?
I think you understand nobody is referring to 40 secs streams like that one from Go Beyond's LRJ diff...
Gon

ziin wrote:

Gonzzz wrote:

also 280bpm is impossible to do consistently rofl (by current standards), maybe ~240++ if you're a top tier player. hell chipscape is 220bpm and you don't see peeps getting 99% on that, hurr.
232 BPM, 2 fingers, 2 hands,99% accuracy. Yes I know, different game. Point is arch0wl's not even one of the best, and even he can 2 finger a 500 note stream with nothing but perfect/marvelous.
important thing to note here is that archowl was using TWO hands (afaik impossible in osu unless you're on auto pilot), not one. In stepmania, when you hit two notes alternating between each other, we call it trilling (pretty sure piano/guitar players know this term, i don't know the exact definition). trilling with two hands is much, much easier, but doing good on 250bpm deathstream songs (getting an A?) with one hand is really pushing it imo
aevv_old
i have a screenshot of notashy comboing 293 on a 300 bpm 1/4 stream with zx, watched him play it with webcam on skype
its possible
edit 279 my bad
http://puu.sh/1Af0 map

acc is shit obv, od5
Waryas
what the hell.....
so i'm a lefty using my right hand for the mouse

am i cursed to suck at osu forever if i dont switch to tablet
I reached a point with mouse when i felt that using my off hand for aim was really stopping me on progressing.
ziin

KRZY wrote:

Also why did the discussion go from tablet vs. mouse to showing off stream speeds?
2 hands is easier, so using keyboard+tap to stream is also easier, which is why tablet is superior to mouse in every way.
Waryas

ziin wrote:

KRZY wrote:

2 hands is easier, so using keyboard+tap to stream is also easier, which is why tablet is superior to mouse in every way.
Huh i'd like to disapprove. Click+keyboard is much easier than tap+keyboard and more accessible too.
I'd like to see a "successful" player using tap+keyboard with a bamboo pen/pen & touch. Most tappers use intuos which is way more expensive and less accessible.
ziin
my mouse is too sensitive to click. Also, I don't use a claw grip, so I don't have any leverage to click.
aevv_old
im a palm grip clicker, and i prefer to play with tablet :(
Gon

JesusYamato wrote:

what the hell.....

I reached a point with mouse when i felt that using my off hand for aim was really stopping me on progressing.
been using right hand for mouse since forever though, and it feels kind of natural... though i'm imagining using a pen to move a cursor feels much easier for osu. if i ever bother to decide to change i'll have to practice streaming with my right hand again but that won't take too long i think

279 combo for 300bpm 16ths is pretty sick i guess............................... lmao

also i'll be sticking to one hand play tyvm, keyboard+click is probably going to take too long to learn, not to mention a cheap 800 dpi mouse with a table surface and my general lack of control :roll:
Waryas

Gonzzz wrote:

been using right hand for mouse since forever though, and it feels kind of natural... though i'm imagining using a pen to move a cursor feels much easier for osu. if i ever bother to decide to change i'll have to practice streaming with my right hand again but that won't take too long i think
Relearning streams with your other hand will be a pain at first, I kept locking on triples, doubles, streams.
Just don't give up.
If you ever make the switch to tablet, after 1-2weeks you'll be back at your former mouse level (left hand streaming).
I have now about 15.000 plays with tablet (and hence right hand streaming on keyboard) and I'm not regretting it.
Ayeen_old

Gonzzz wrote:

what the hell.....

If you use your left hand for most of the time, especially writing... tablet is easier for you (depend on you though). And you forgot the unique ability left handed people have? Adapt to new things quite fast.
hinamizawan

aevv wrote:

i have a screenshot of notashy comboing 293 on a 300 bpm 1/4 stream with zx, watched him play it with webcam on skype
its possible
edit 279 my bad
http://puu.sh/1Af0 map

acc is shit obv, od5

HOW is that possible with z/x?!?! Sorry for the stupid question but I wonder if the position of the keyboard in the desk makes any influence in the streams.
Reunilu
Actually, both are superior. It all just depends on how much skill one has with the tablet or the mouse. Like me for example. When I first got my mouse, I barely had any control over it. And maybe it was the same with Cookiezi and all the other top players on osu.
S o r c e r y
um...i think tablet is better than mouse, handle a pen is much easier than mouse. for me, after i change to use tablet to play osu, i see that i have a lot of improvement, some friends are same to me. but some people think that mouse is better than tablet, um...it is controversial question.
Aquamarine

lovu wrote:

In the long run, tablets are much superior for accuracy

Your tablet's surface represents a set area of the screen. Once you're used to your area (sensitivity), you can move the pen to anywhere on the screen without thinking about it. It's down to muscle memory.

A mouse is a completely different pointing device. You can't memorize your cursor's location like with a tablet. There's also many things like acceleration that factor in. You can be extremely precise with a mouse but never just as precise as with a tablet.
This makes sense, thanks.
07 Ghost
Depends. On jumps, I do better with mouse. On streams I do better with tablet (obviously). Tbh I have no choice but to use kb with tablet, because the wacom bamboo is only a 50$ tablet, so I can't ask for much. On the other hand, with the mouse, because I don't use kb, my accuracy goes up on songs without many streams.
OzzyOzrock

07 Ghost wrote:

Depends. On jumps, I do better with mouse. On streams I do better with tablet (obviously).
what
Wishy
I don't want to sound rude but after reading some comments try looking at the user's profile.
Hiyorin

07 Ghost wrote:

Depends. On jumps, I do better with mouse. On streams I do better with tablet.
???
Could you clarify why you do better with mouse? Because for me it's the opposite and I can't see how one would jump better with mouse or stream better with tablet :/
Wishy
He probably does tapping or is a mouse clicker, therefore he has no experience by playing with keyboard so he sucks at streams using keyboard while he is better with mouse clicks, and since you don't have mouse clicks with tablet...
Neruell
Why do people spend xxx money on overrated equipment? Give me the money, and I will teach you with mouse or tablet to be Ubercookiezi.
You don't need anything special, of course there is a trick why Cookiezi can own everyone and everything is pretty simple. It is called "training/practice".

Ups. Did I just say that?... Wow I really feel sorry for people now who spend xxxx money and in the end ask themselves "WTF, why am I so bad and can't fc 300 bpm with dt but I did copy Cookiezi 1:1"...

I never saw any sportsmen in any sport in the world who was born and became #1 straight away.

So coming back to the actual topic. No matter what you use, be sure to "use" it and you will reach your goal.
Gon
sure, constant training/practice is the only way to get good but having quality/affordable equipment will certainly help ease the journey... i definitely got a skill boost after switching to the razer copperhead (which my brother doesn't use anymore, so it's free) from the microsoft basic mouse and invested on a mousepad worth 10+ quids (wasn't using a mousepad before).

also tried a tablet (borrowed) and decided it's gonna take too much time to get back to my current skill level.. oh well :|
Avedas
I bought my POS tablet for $20 off some random guy from craigslist. Honestly you don't need to spend much. No, I don't do art. This thing is terrible for writing or drawing. I just hover the pen and play keyboard. My keyboard I got for free but it's a Steelseries 7G... those are a little pricey I guess. Either way, if you just want something for osu go check craigslist or ebay or whatever the hell you use in your country.

You don't need to spend much money and with some basic equipment practice will do far more than trying to find the optimal gear for your play style. And no, I'm not very good at all. I haven't been playing all that long yet.
CoreFantasy
profit when you using mouse :
you can spin better
so you can reach the first place in easy diff with your fast and high spin :p

profit when you using tablet :
can play high approach rate and BPM
farming PP in a short time well u suck
TakuMii

CoreFantasy wrote:

you can spin better

but i can spin better with tablet
GoldenWolf

CoreFantasy wrote:

are you serious
Soarezi

CoreFantasy wrote:

you can spin better

What?
Awake-Chan
posting in a 2 years old thread..

@ Topic: personal taste, some prefer mouse others tablet o-o
Sotodashi
Yes.
Rokk

lovu wrote:

Your tablet's surface represents a set area of the screen. Once you're used to your area (sensitivity), you can move the pen to anywhere on the screen without thinking about it. It's down to muscle memory.

A mouse is a completely different pointing device. You can't memorize your cursor's location like with a tablet. There's also many things like acceleration that factor in. You can be extremely precise with a mouse but never just as precise as with a tablet.
Muscle Memory applies to mice as well. Why do you think some people are godlike at shooters like Counter-Strike?

What you said applies to people playing with mouse acceleration. Any serious gamer completely disables it.
maal

Teraku wrote:

lovu wrote:

Muscle Memory applies to mice as well. Why do you think some people are godlike at shooters like Counter-Strike?

What you said applies to people playing with mouse acceleration. Any serious gamer completely disables it.
^ this

surely i can't do airman as easy as with a tablet, but seeing as it would be possible to do it with mouse as well, there's no such difference. being "precise" is something YOU do; your tablet doesn't do it for you.

imo using tablet or mouse, and what is the best, comes down to the user itself.
Tsukimi Luna
sadly...
I feel really noob compared to mouse players
I have an inferiority complex
Because its so much easier to jump with a pen rather than a mouse because of absolute precision
Which makes me less of a "pro" even if i can jump hard shit

And i suck cuz i single tap
And i can only do short streams
For deathstream max speed is prolly 185 bpm
The only stream maps i can play are prolly mendes and almagest.....
My youtube channel in my userpage speaks of my noobness

Basically i dont even know if my streaming is "good" or "bad"

I can do consistent streams from 140~ 185......................
I dont have the speed to do anything faster than that
Im using a rubber dome keyboard
And my fingers feels stifffffffffffffffff
hi
bn3o
VoidnOwO

bn3o wrote:

there is nothing better its just your preferences. I personally never used a tablet in my life.
Makes sense.
Nicholas131

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Vext wrote:

Imo tablet far superior on spinners than mouse. Otherwise preference.
what? n-no...

I use the mouse on easy song specifically because I can spin over 400 on it, when spinning on my tablet I NEVER get to 400.

Though, you may mean that in matters of regaining control, in which, I agree.

i have to agree w/ ozzy ive tried the tablet and w/ the spinners i hit 400s(only used the tablet once), but other than that their fairly equal. i feel though that the mouse gives more accuracy than the tablet because its something i can hold with confidence where as the tablet i constantly move pen out of the height range of the tablet. for mice you only need to worry about the x and y axis instead of x, y, and z axis
B1rd
I use mouse only and having a superioritry complex is the only thing that keeps me sane.
nrl
N-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-necro.