Masayoshi Soken - The Reach of Darkness

posted
Total Posts
show more
Nao Tomori
ok i messed up so can you just update this to pop it and then ill rebub it >.>
Nao Tomori
Sorry if this sounds rude to you

I don't think you can make a good beatmap to this kind of "song". The player has to remember the whole song, because there is no general beat. It's very confusing. on the "normal" diff it was fine, but on "insane" it was really hard, because I never heard the song before, and there was no beat to follow.

Therefore, I suggest you forfeit instead you try again with another song, that has a beat the player can follow and play to ;)

rebub
Battle
on the insane 01:52:702 (2) - i don't really get why this isn't like 01:51:047 (2) - since it sounds like it's doing the same thing with the strings
also it would be nice if you used sliders for 00:13:607 (1,2,3) - instead of circles, the change in rhythm isn't really expected and would be better gameplay wise unless you don't care about that
00:58:917 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - is similar to 00:32:642 (1,2,3,4) - rhythm wise even coming after a pause but yet mapped differently
00:26:021 (1,2,3) - stuff like this would sound a LOT more natural if the triplet note would be moved to 00:26:331 - and whatever for the other points, triplets starting on a white and ending on a red typically sound awkawrd
oh yeah and I'm pretty sure stuff like 00:32:848 (2,3,4) - is supposed to be 1/6 like below to follow strings, I can kinda see not using it for the sake of rhythm simplification but idk it's up to you
00:52:297 (1,2,3) - and 00:55:607 (1,2,3) - could use more emphasis considering how spaced 00:56:642 (1) - is lol
01:00:159 (2,3,4) - is kinda meh since 4 doesn't really have anything worthwhile to deserve that huge spacing and that kinda just takes away emphasis from 3

offset sounds off, playing it feels a bit late so you should probably fix that lol

also I don't really see any metadata linked here so z

kinda only looked at the top diff so ya lol
Nao Tomori
about those triple strings things, we decided on rhythm simplification because if it wasn't like that there, there are lots of other places with similarly snapped strings that also got passed over. it would be really inconsistent with regards to the rhythm in all those parts.
Topic Starter
Arf

Battle wrote:

on the insane 01:52:702 (2) - i don't really get why this isn't like 01:51:047 (2) - since it sounds like it's doing the same thing with the strings I asked several people including someone who regularly looks at this sort of music and he told that the first one is a quad and the second a triple, Nao also said that the first has some glissando type thing and the second is less pronounced, they used to both be triplets before.
also it would be nice if you used sliders for 00:13:607 (1,2,3) - instead of circles, the change in rhythm isn't really expected and would be better gameplay wise unless you don't care about that Well fine, it's not the first complaint about this so
00:58:917 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - is similar to 00:32:642 (1,2,3,4) - rhythm wise even coming after a pause but yet mapped differently It sounds different to me, I hear more strings in the first one
00:26:021 (1,2,3) - stuff like this would sound a LOT more natural if the triplet note would be moved to 00:26:331 - and whatever for the other points, triplets starting on a white and ending on a red typically sound awkawrd Maybe, but the times in the map where I DO have triples after as single on the white tick are mapped to violin sounds, which aren't present here, these are percussion triples so I want to keep the pattern different while following music.
oh yeah and I'm pretty sure stuff like 00:32:848 (2,3,4) - is supposed to be 1/6 like below to follow strings, I can kinda see not using it for the sake of rhythm simplification but idk it's up to you The strings are weird, there isn't a lot of places where you can keenly hear what snap they're following, one particular point which has a repeat slider is an exception to this however.
00:52:297 (1,2,3) - and 00:55:607 (1,2,3) - could use more emphasis considering how spaced 00:56:642 (1) - is lol The last one is a drag drum sound which is why it has extra emphasis, the first two are quicker
01:00:159 (2,3,4) - is kinda meh since 4 doesn't really have anything worthwhile to deserve that huge spacing and that kinda just takes away emphasis from 3 The emphasis is meant to be 3 and 1, can't have a tiny spacing between them as it feels really weird to play in my opinion. Spoke with Nao and changed this.

offset sounds off, playing it feels a bit late so you should probably fix that lol Offset has been checked several times, too many people think it's perfect/late/early and this is the best one anyone could agree on. I blame the nature of the song.

also I don't really see any metadata linked here so z I couldn't find an official release at first but apparently....The official release is weird as this is technically two songs, but only one is mapped, so I'll change some tags. http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/ ... e_Fall/en/

kinda only looked at the top diff so ya lol
Nao Tomori
re.

talked about that one jump that battle pointed out. also looked at metadata site, looks fine.

oops
Topic Starter
Arf
Self-popped to avoid any rules confusion.
Nao Tomori
ok well battle and i talked, and we agreed that the timing is rather off in a lot of places, since the song is done by an orchestra. parts like
01:31:400 (1,2,3) - or 01:34:710 (1,2,3) - sound rather off when slowed down, and 01:05:745 (1) - seem late as well.

gotta time this.. rip
Battle
editing that post rebubbled the map lol

edit: popped because it the above sentence lol, you can rebubble when timing is fixed
Ashton
it's a bubble party
Warpyc

CanadianBaka wrote:

it's a bubble party
Bubble popping party
Topic Starter
Arf
To be honest, at all those points the timing sounds fine to me. Since I'm basing it on the percussion noises rather than the strings, each drum tick lines up with the metronome just fine imo. The violin notes go on for so long they sound late but string instruments are like that, their definitive center point isn't as easy as drums. As for the song being an orchestra, it's not a live track, it's mixed in a studio electronically afaik. That doesn't mean it necessarily has constant timing of course, but the song type doesn't necessarily mean it's got to have pishifat level timing either imo.

I'll still try to get the timing checked, but I don't know anyone who can time so this will take a while lol.

Also, checking my work in a program gave me

which doesn't conclusively prove anything but is a very good result for this thing given that it couldn't detect the BPM automatically. Inputting my own work shows one possible area of offset jitter, which is normal when the program's auto detection fails.

EDIT: Had a conversation with guineaQ and updated some timing as per our discussion, was recommended to get an opinion from pishifat or someone experienced about whether or not the mp3 needs editing, so when that's done I'll post logs and try to come to a consensus
EDIT2: spelling `-`
Battle
You could always edit the mp3 itself if you know how to make this snap the way you want them to, but that would be pretty difficult imo

It's kinda hard to say that you're basing it on the percussion notes since in some cases you map the violins which are pretty much awkwardly snapped to things earlier or later than the current timing. GoldenWolf, GuineaQ, pishifat, Faust, Bonsai etc. are all good timers, you might want to give them a poke if you haven't already
Bonsai
wow this thread is a mess lol

I made a few changes to the timing which I listed below, here's a timing-diff with just the red lines so you can replace the old ones in all your diffs with them easily.
  1. moved everything -8ms
  2. added two timing sections to time the intro a bit because it's kinda ugly when you play that with Nightcore or in Mania/Taiko and it isn't synced up at all, and when it gets palyed in the main menu the pulasting of the osu!logo is noticably off too
  3. The whole first section is off time-signature-wise by two beats, thus the new section at 00:09:477 -
  4. 00:13:599 - These three beats here are much earlier for some reason, no need to mp3-edit though because it is mapped as a slider in every diff and thus has much accuracy-leniency, I just added a timing section there to move it -20ms and back again
  5. 01:23:944 - The strings around here until the Kiai are mostly much earlier, so added a timing section there and moved it -12ms
And that's it, idk what has been changed previously but all the spots that Nao Tomori had pointed out do now sound fine to me! If you have any more questions ofc feel free to hit me up :D

Just one quick point for the highest diff that I noticed while checking the timing: 01:07:392 (1,2,3) - The spacing here seems out of place for me since the head of (2) is a much stronger beat than (3) is - Since 01:09:047 (1,2,3) is all spaced out too, I'd suggest to simply make the triangle that 01:06:978 (4,1,2) are forming bigger, like this
Also I feel like 01:42:564 could use some hitsound since the previous combos had so many Claps and Whistles around these spots

Congratulations for appearently getting this qualified soon :D

Oh also I don't wanna miss the opportunity to share Arf's really bad pun here lol
Topic Starter
Arf
Updated with Bonsai's timing and applied all his suggestions to Ravenous diff as well. Let's see if we can make this work :D
Battle
mk i guess lol
Nao Tomori
ok took another look since changes were made, everything seems fine...

3rd try?
Sonnyc
Nominated.
Warpyc
Ayy, gratz
-Mo-

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Songs with Japanese titles must use the Modified Hepburn method of romanisation in the "Romanised Title" field. As a non-unicode field, long vowels such as "おう" and "うう" should be romanised into "ou" and "uu" to avoid macrons. (Refer to this link for more information). Loan words should be expressed using romanisation from the original language.

?

idk what to do here.
alice soft
Romanised title is saigo no shitou ~ shinsei ~ but the English title is also official so that could be fine then.
Otherwise just disregard the Japanese one and only use The Reach of Darkness in Title field?

V IamKwan: those are offical SE sites linked not fansites; pretty official sounding imo.
IamKwaN
it's the official english title of the song, according to http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/ ... /?lang=fix

so it's correct

i have doubts about the source though, please provide proof other than the following, thanks!
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/a_realm_reborn/
http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/a_realm_reborn/
IamKwaN

alice soft wrote:

V IamKwan: those are offical SE sites linked not fansites; pretty official sounding imo.
final fantasy should be in all caps according to the sites i linked, that's my point
Topic Starter
Arf
Hey

Actually when playing the game the title is also in all caps and every piece of promotional Square Enix post/merchandise that I have ever seen has the title in all caps so it seems that would be the correct source.

Weird that I never caught that considering I've played the game :L
Deif
You can get it fixed now. Good luck with your mapset!
Topic Starter
Arf
Fixed source and put "square enix" in tags
Deif
It's back!
alice soft

IamKwaN wrote:

final fantasy should be in all caps according to the sites i linked, that's my point
Understood source as in source of your screencap not metadata source, mb there have a good life.
IamKwaN
lol efficiency
KSHR
??? I wonder why the translated title is typed in the "Romanised title" field. This case, there is the English official title. Then, you should type it in both "Title" and "Romanised Title" and move Japanese title and romanisation of it to Tags, shouldn't you?

"Romanized" is NOT "Translated". Or is the current title "最後の死闘 ~新生~" read as "The Reach of Darkness"?
Kite
You are right, that's how it's supposed to be.. afaik.
English titles are fine to put if the song name is in katakana though, like in "アリス.ザ.エニグマティクドール" for example.
If correct use of metadata is enforced you should stick to it like everyone else, even if it might be a hassle at times.
hoaxtory
yo arf maiboi nice job
Ascendance
Congrats!
Topic Starter
Arf
Thanks everyone!
Nao Tomori
ok_hand
blobdash
Grats!

Zolixe wrote:

Sorry if this sounds rude to you

I don't think you can make a good beatmap to this kind of "song". The player has to remember the whole song, because there is no general beat. It's very confusing. on the "normal" diff it was fine, but on "insane" it was really hard, because I never heard the song before, and there was no beat to follow.

Therefore, I suggest you forfeit instead you try again with another song, that has a beat the player can follow and play to ;)

I just started mapping myself, so I know it's hard, but keep trying :P
lol rekt
Breeze
Oh wow, it's really a surprise to see a FF14 BGM beatmap :)