forum

Jack Douglass - CANDY CANES (full version) [OsuMania|CatchTh

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ethan
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 4:13:47 PM

Artist: Jack Douglass
Title: CANDY CANES (full version)
Tags: youtube jacksfilms
BPM: 178
Filesize: 2905kb
Play Time: 01:34
Difficulties Available:
  1. Advanced - 4Key (2.26 stars, 798 notes)
  2. Advanced+ - 4Key (3.03 stars, 782 notes)
  3. Basic - 4Key (0.58 stars, 68 notes)
  4. Basic+ - 4Key (1.06 stars, 272 notes)
  5. Cup (0.68 stars, 67 notes)
  6. Easy (0.78 stars, 132 notes)
  7. Easy- (0.26 stars, 3 notes)
  8. Easy-- (0.22 stars, 33 notes)
  9. Easy+ (0.83 stars, 67 notes)
  10. Exhaust - 4Key (3.32 stars, 1169 notes)
  11. Extra (5.67 stars, 531 notes)
  12. Extra- (5.21 stars, 1037 notes)
  13. Extreme (6.53 stars, 525 notes)
  14. Futsuu (1.69 stars, 275 notes)
  15. Futsuu+ (2.34 stars, 400 notes)
  16. Hard (2.61 stars, 271 notes)
  17. Insane (4.38 stars, 657 notes)
  18. Insane+ (4.94 stars, 531 notes)
  19. Kantan (0.31 stars, 5 notes)
  20. Kantan+ (0.51 stars, 68 notes)
  21. Light Insane (3.63 stars, 328 notes)
  22. Muzukashii (2.74 stars, 533 notes)
  23. Normal (1.54 stars, 133 notes)
  24. Normal+ (2.08 stars, 198 notes)
  25. Novice - 4Key (1.51 stars, 445 notes)
  26. Oni (4.28 stars, 1063 notes)
  27. Overdose (5.56 stars, 401 notes)
  28. Platter (2.62 stars, 214 notes)
  29. Rain (4.07 stars, 275 notes)
  30. Salad (1.82 stars, 119 notes)
  31. Salad+ (1.94 stars, 268 notes)
  32. Toffee's M'trillady - 4Key (5.03 stars, 2016 notes)
Download: Jack Douglass - CANDY CANES (full version)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
for loved (one day)

thanks to ToffeeCakes for the top mania diff

old desc.
Log
12.25.16 - Started mapping
12.26.16 - Continued mapping
12.27.16 - Mapping + reconfiguration of AR, OD, HP, and CS + submitted map
12.27.16 - Added Normal diff
12.27.16 - Added BGs, 1 for each mode
12.27.16 - Added Salad + Rain diffs
12.27.16 - Redone OD and HP for Mania diffs
12.27.16 - Finished!
1.28.17 - Finally applied CrestRising's mod. Props to you, man c:
3.5.17 - Changed some diff names to be exact, and added a difficulty for fun.

Diffs I need to do:
{STD} Done.
{Taiko} Done.
{CTB} Done.
{Mania} Done.
{GDs} If you would like to create a GD, PM me, but I reserve the right to decline (but if I do decline, I will have a link to your diff in this description)

If you mod:
Do not mod the hitsounds. I know they're not there, and they're not going to be there.
I know some difficulties seem rushed and are really bad, especially CTB and Mania. I do not map those two modes and this is basically my first time ever making a real map for CTB and Mania. I am more of a Standard mapper and Taiko in my free time.
I do not have a ranked map, so that may explain many wrongs that you find in this set.
CrestRising
Wow is this a big mapset. I'm just going to offer some advice on most of the Osu/Taiko difficulties and bring up some of the issues that they have.

General
I know you don't want mods on hitsounds, but at least make up your mind about whether you want to use the Normal or Drum sampleset. It's distracting to have it change midway through the set.

Also, your slider velocity from Kantan to Futsuu+ is way too low and makes it hard to read. Please change it to 1.4x like the Muzukashii and Oni.

I'm not going to mod the mania and catch-the-beat difficulties since I'm not that experienced in those, but I can tell that some of them, especially the harder ones, still need a lot of work as they have many fundamental problems.

Easy--
I usually see candy canes with the dangling end on the left instead of the right, so maybe mirror the slider? Other than that, this difficulty is so easy and bare there's little reason for it to exist.

Easy-
00:02:734 (1,2,1) All of these are the same distance apart on the timeline, yet in terms of placement the circle is awkwardly close to the first slider and considerable farther away from the next slider. Even distance spacing is important in lower difficulties since that's what most beginner players use to judge how soon/late to click, so consider evening out the spacing between these objects.

Easy
00:05:431 (1,2) This is the same spacing as 00:02:734 (1,2,1) but it's twice as long in the timeline, which could lead players judging solely by distance spacing and not approach circles to click much earlier than they need to, so I suggest spacing these objects out more.

From 00:08:128, the sliders overlap each other way too much, which could be difficult to read for a newer player. Try reworking this pattern into something more readable.

Easy+
00:04:083 (2) The way this overlaps the first slider makes it look kind of ugly. I suggest spacing it out like so https://puu.sh/t4Oju.png.

Overall, I suggest keeping a more consistent spacing throughout this difficulty. For instance, 00:04:083 (2,1) is too close compared too 00:02:734 (1,2) and jumps like 00:10:824 (1) are unadvised in a Normal difficulty, much less an Easy.

Normal
Half-beat sliders like 00:08:970 (2) might be too difficult for Normal players and is a bit uneven with the spread, since the next difficulty doesn't even use half-beats. I would suggest replacing these sliders with a circle on the slider-ends (the white ticks).

Normal+
00:10:487 (3,1) A little nitpicky, but the spacing here looks a bit to close (same with the other 3,1 combos); you could space this and other 3,1 combos out so it maintains a consistent 1.0x distance spacing.

Hard
00:05:094 (3) I don't see why there needs to be a jump here since this beat is not as significant as the vocals and a similar-sounding beat at 00:03:745 (3) didn't receive emphasis via a jump.

00:05:262 (4) I would remove this circle to keep rhythmic consistency with 00:02:734 (1,2,3) and focus more attention on the vocals by removing unnecessary clutter.

Light Insane
00:02:734 (1) It might be better if it was re-positioned to where it's blanketing 2 instead of awkwardly overlapping it, sort of like this https://puu.sh/t4daw.png

00:06:105 (5) Idk if it was supposed to blanket 3, but imo it would look better if it did (like this https://puu.sh/t4dhB.png

00:06:779 (1) This slider looks very jagged and unfitting, especially compared to the previous, nicely curved sliders.

Insane
From 00:08:128 onward, the streams feel really over-mapped; there is nothing in the music that supports it since its all just half-beats. It's especially out of place when you consider that no other Osu difficulty in this mapset uses streams at all, even in the hardest difficulty, and rhythm is usually supposed to get more complex as you go down the spread, not just randomly spike and go back down again.

Extra
It's weird that the hardest jumps are at 00:05:263 (4,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) since every other difficulty established the repeated "Stab" lyrics as the most emphasized part of the music. At the very least, jumps like 00:06:442 (7) needs some toning down since 5.27x distance spacing is way too much considering most of the other jumps average like 3.0x.

Also, some of your jump emphasis is unconventional, as beats like 00:03:914 (4) and 00:05:263 (4) get emphasized via jumps when they're not important in the music whereas important beats like 00:04:083 (1) and 00:05:431 (1) (lyric, start of measure) are under-emphasized with low distance spacing.

Extra+
How is this Extra+ when the triangles at the "stab" section are a smaller distance spacing than in the regular Extra? Most of the intro seems to be copy-pasting from the previous Extra, which just seems lazy.

Extreme
00:05:262 (4) Basically the same thing I said in the Hard difficulty (removal for consistency & better follow lyrics) since it seems like you reverted back to following the lyrics.

For 00:08:128 onward, a lot of the placements are unintuitive. While there are sometimes recognizable patterns like stars and maybe hourglasses, there are also places like 00:41:835 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) where the placements look fairly random and incoherent. Also, there are places where the distance places suddenly dips like 00:46:722 (6,7), and then there's 00:29:701 (1) when the player has to abruptly stop and it just ruins the flow of the section.

Kantan
Like the Easy-- in Osu, this is so easy and tedious that I don't see why it even needs to exist.

Kantan+
As is, the map doesn't even vary between the verse and the "stab" lyrics, which makes it feel even more repetitive than other difficulties. Also, since it doesn't even have 2-beat spacings, it transitions poorly into your Futsu, which adds both 1-beat and 1/2 beat spacings.

Futsuu
00:07:285 (17) Change to d, to keep consistency with 00:03:071 (2,3,4) and 00:05:768 (11,12,13) because Futsuu players probably won't expect a sudden change in pattern.

Muzukashii
00:07:285 (19) Change to d to keep consistent rhythm with 00:03:071 (2,3,4,5) and 00:04:420 (7,8,9,10).

Oni
00:07:369 Maybe add d here since the first two measures had triplets leading up to the 3rd beat (like 00:03:240 (4,5,6) and 00:04:588 (5,6,7)) and the last measure before the "stabs" not having any 1/4 triplets feels weird.

00:07:622 (6,7,8) Maybe you did this to diversify the rhythm or something, but 7 being d is too awkward since every other 2nd and 4th beat is a kat, so you should probably just change this to d k d.

I commend you for taking the time to make such a large mapset, even though most of it was just copy-paste. There's still notable issues with some of the difficulties, but, disregarding the mania and catch-the-beat sets, most of them are fairly good for what they are. It's definitely an ambitious mapset with some interesting ideas in terms of the sheer repetitiveness of it, and I wish you luck with the mapping process. :)
Topic Starter
Ethan
for the above, I have decided to take a break on the mapset but I promise this mod will be replied to soon. i'm just not exactly sure when. thank you so much for taking the time to mod.
Topic Starter
Ethan

CrestRising wrote:

Wow is this a big mapset. I'm just going to offer some advice on most of the Osu/Taiko difficulties and bring up some of the issues that they have.

General
I know you don't want mods on hitsounds, but at least make up your mind about whether you want to use the Normal or Drum sampleset. It's distracting to have it change midway through the set. For some reason the hitsounds had a mind of its own and they just kinda randomly chose to have Drum sampleset. I'll see what I can do.

Also, your slider velocity from Kantan to Futsuu+ is way too low and makes it hard to read. Please change it to 1.4x like the Muzukashii and Oni. Okay

I'm not going to mod the mania and catch-the-beat difficulties since I'm not that experienced in those, but I can tell that some of them, especially the harder ones, still need a lot of work as they have many fundamental problems. All I really wanted to do across all diffs is make one or two for each difficulty level (ENHIX) and I did whatever I could do to make it that way.

Easy--
I usually see candy canes with the dangling end on the left instead of the right, so maybe mirror the slider? Other than that, this difficulty is so easy and bare there's little reason for it to exist. Exactly. Mirrored slider though

Easy-
00:02:734 (1,2,1) All of these are the same distance apart on the timeline, yet in terms of placement the circle is awkwardly close to the first slider and considerable farther away from the next slider. Even distance spacing is important in lower difficulties since that's what most beginner players use to judge how soon/late to click, so consider evening out the spacing between these objects. Fixed spacing

Easy
00:05:431 (1,2) This is the same spacing as 00:02:734 (1,2,1) but it's twice as long in the timeline, which could lead players judging solely by distance spacing and not approach circles to click much earlier than they need to, so I suggest spacing these objects out more. Ok

From 00:08:128, the sliders overlap each other way too much, which could be difficult to read for a newer player. Try reworking this pattern into something more readable. I think a new player could get the pattern down within 5 tries max, so I kept the pattern.

Easy+
00:04:083 (2) The way this overlaps the first slider makes it look kind of ugly. I suggest spacing it out like so https://puu.sh/t4Oju.png. Ok

Overall, I suggest keeping a more consistent spacing throughout this difficulty. For instance, 00:04:083 (2,1) is too close compared too 00:02:734 (1,2) and jumps like 00:10:824 (1) are unadvised in a Normal difficulty, much less an Easy. What I did for this pattern was just do two sliders and rotate them 40 degrees every time, the spacing should be fine. Also the jump you pointed out is probably 20 pixels max so I think a new player could get it down pat soon enough.

Normal
Half-beat sliders like 00:08:970 (2) might be too difficult for Normal players and is a bit uneven with the spread, since the next difficulty doesn't even use half-beats. I would suggest replacing these sliders with a circle on the slider-ends (the white ticks). The problem with that is if I did that suggestion, the SR would be lowered down to below the rating for a Normal and that is specifically what I wanted to do, so I'll keep it as is.

Normal+
00:10:487 (3,1) A little nitpicky, but the spacing here looks a bit to close (same with the other 3,1 combos); you could space this and other 3,1 combos out so it maintains a consistent 1.0x distance spacing. Applying this would create a closer gap between the upper combos.

Hard
00:05:094 (3) I don't see why there needs to be a jump here since this beat is not as significant as the vocals and a similar-sounding beat at 00:03:745 (3) didn't receive emphasis via a jump. It follows a pattern and to break it in the middle would be weird.

00:05:262 (4) I would remove this circle to keep rhythmic consistency with 00:02:734 (1,2,3) and focus more attention on the vocals by removing unnecessary clutter. I think its fine

Light Insane
00:02:734 (1) It might be better if it was re-positioned to where it's blanketing 2 instead of awkwardly overlapping it, sort of like this [url]https://puu.sh/t4daw.png I like it as is[/url]

00:06:105 (5) Idk if it was supposed to blanket 3, but imo it would look better if it did (like this https://puu.sh/t4dhB.png Done

00:06:779 (1) This slider looks very jagged and unfitting, especially compared to the previous, nicely curved sliders. tbh this is fine to me

Insane
From 00:08:128 onward, the streams feel really over-mapped; there is nothing in the music that supports it since its all just half-beats. It's especially out of place when you consider that no other Osu difficulty in this mapset uses streams at all, even in the hardest difficulty, and rhythm is usually supposed to get more complex as you go down the spread, not just randomly spike and go back down again. Rhythm consistency wasn't really the approach for this set

Extra
It's weird that the hardest jumps are at 00:05:263 (4,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) since every other difficulty established the repeated "Stab" lyrics as the most emphasized part of the music. At the very least, jumps like 00:06:442 (7) needs some toning down since 5.27x distance spacing is way too much considering most of the other jumps average like 3.0x. Toned down

Also, some of your jump emphasis is unconventional, as beats like 00:03:914 (4) and 00:05:263 (4) get emphasized via jumps when they're not important in the music whereas important beats like 00:04:083 (1) and 00:05:431 (1) (lyric, start of measure) are under-emphasized with low distance spacing.

Extra+
How is this Extra+ when the triangles at the "stab" section are a smaller distance spacing than in the regular Extra? Most of the intro seems to be copy-pasting from the previous Extra, which just seems lazy. You seem to have not noticed that the triangles expand and contract throughout the map, which was the point of this diff

Extreme
00:05:262 (4) Basically the same thing I said in the Hard difficulty (removal for consistency & better follow lyrics) since it seems like you reverted back to following the lyrics.

For 00:08:128 onward, a lot of the placements are unintuitive. While there are sometimes recognizable patterns like stars and maybe hourglasses which were changed with ctrl shift r and ctrl shift s throughout the whole map, there are also places like 00:41:835 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) where the placements look fairly random and incoherent. Also, there are places where the distance places suddenly dips like 00:46:722 (6,7), and then there's 00:29:701 (1) fixed when the player has to abruptly stop and it just ruins the flow of the section.

Kantan
Like the Easy-- in Osu, this is so easy and tedious that I don't see why it even needs to exist. Exactly.

Kantan+
As is, the map doesn't even vary between the verse and the "stab" lyrics, which makes it feel even more repetitive than other difficulties. Also, since it doesn't even have 2-beat spacings, it transitions poorly into your Futsu, which adds both 1-beat and 1/2 beat spacings. I've never really mapped Taiko fr before so I'm not good with this sort of things

Futsuu
00:07:285 (17) Change to d, to keep consistency with 00:03:071 (2,3,4) and 00:05:768 (11,12,13) because Futsuu players probably won't expect a sudden change in pattern. Ok

Muzukashii
00:07:285 (19) Change to d to keep consistent rhythm with 00:03:071 (2,3,4,5) and 00:04:420 (7,8,9,10). Ok

Oni
00:07:369 Maybe add d here since the first two measures had triplets leading up to the 3rd beat (like 00:03:240 (4,5,6) and 00:04:588 (5,6,7)) and the last measure before the "stabs" not having any 1/4 triplets feels weird. Ok

00:07:622 (6,7,8) Maybe you did this to diversify the rhythm or something, but 7 being d is too awkward since every other 2nd and 4th beat is a kat, so you should probably just change this to d k d. I did it to add variety to rhythm, so I won't change

I commend you for taking the time to make such a large mapset, even though most of it was just copy-paste. There's still notable issues with some of the difficulties, but, disregarding the mania and catch-the-beat sets, most of them are fairly good for what they are. It's definitely an ambitious mapset with some interesting ideas in terms of the sheer repetitiveness of it, and I wish you luck with the mapping process. :) Sorry for the late response, and thanks so much again!!
Enorin
Hi! #M4M ?... Okay :roll:
I'll be quick..
[*]General:
- You should really consider cutting the "song" a bit.
- Don't use two NCs of the same color followed (suggestion)
- Look at this: http://imgur.com/a/5cNMp (you don't have storyboard)

->// Good Luck // <-
Topic Starter
Ethan

Enorin wrote:

Hi! #M4M ?... Okay
I'll be quick..
[*]General:
- You should really consider cutting the "song" a bit. That's the joke, it's supposed to be this long
- Don't use two NCs of the same color followed (suggestion) Idrc about NC colors for this map
- Look at this: http://imgur.com/a/5cNMp (you don't have storyboard) Internet doesn't let me see imgur, what do you mean (i'm aware i do not have a storyboard)

->// Good Luck // <-
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.