forum

How long do the switches last? (mechanical KB)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-BlueSoul-
I'm thinking about buying a mechanical keyboard, but I would really like to know, how long do the switches last, for the average osu! player.
Rurree
Depends on the switches and the keyboard. They'll last long for sure.
Topic Starter
-BlueSoul-
Thinking about buying either a Strafe or a K95, red switches, but I've heard people saying that their switches last like 2 months due to use, just want to know if it usually lasts longer than that. I'm sure they would last a s*** long if you use them for normal games, but how will they fair on osu!?
Full Tablet
They can last several years as long as you replace the keycaps and the switches when they break.

Opaque ABS keycaps tend to last long (I have never broken one), but their surface get smooth and slippery pretty fast. Translucid keycaps tend to not get slippery as fast, but they are more brittle (they break after some use, about 4 million hits).

From my experience, MX Cherry Red and Blue switches tend to fail after about 2 million presses while playing mania (they seem to last longer while playing osu! standard), much less than the advertised amount, which might only be valid for typing or light tapping. The most common way they can fail is by key chattering (pressing the key once registers as pressing the key several times), which most of the time can be solved just by resoldering the switch to the keyboard board (otherwise, the switch has to be replaced).
fajar13k

-BlueSoul- wrote:

Thinking about buying either a Strafe or a K95, red switches, but I've heard people saying that their switches last like 2 months due to use, just want to know if it usually lasts longer than that. I'm sure they would last a s*** long if you use them for normal games, but how will they fair on osu!?
I like you're trying to buy that.
But considering you're new to Mechanical Keyboard, it's good but not great choice (IMO). If you're playing osu!, it would be no problem here i got my keyboards back 2009 i came 2015 to osu! and do harder tap than usual use. Usually it'll last long after 20M keystrokes, and from there your switches aren't as comfortable as your first bought.

My suggestion for you (if you like red switches), buy KUL ES-87 because they have tank quality build with Universal Layout Keys (which means it's good for Keycaps hunter)
Topic Starter
-BlueSoul-

fajar13k wrote:

-BlueSoul- wrote:

I like you're trying to buy that.
But considering you're new to Mechanical Keyboard, it's good but not great choice (IMO). If you're playing osu!, it would be no problem here i got my keyboards back 2009 i came 2015 to osu! and do harder tap than usual use. Usually it'll last long after 20M keystrokes, and from there your switches aren't as comfortable as your first bought.

My suggestion for you (if you like red switches), buy KUL ES-87 because they have tank quality build with Universal Layout Keys (which means it's good for Keycaps hunter)
My problem is not the keycaps, it's the switches, I'm not going to ram into my keyboard, I was just asking if the switches actually last long to be worth the buy.
Full Tablet
Using a mechanical keyboard isn't going to be cheaper than using a membrane keyboard, not in the short run nor in the long run.

It's comparable to buying an expensive car versus a regular car. The expensive car might require more expensive gas and might have more expensive maintenance costs, but driving it would be slightly more comfortable than driving a regular car.

To get the most value from a mechanical keyboard you are going to use a lot, it's good to learn basic soldering skills so you can repair the keyboard when it breaks, ordering keyboard pieces instead of a whole new keyboard.
Rurree
The switches will last long as long as you don't do anything stupid. Cherry MX, Gateron, Topre, etc. will all last long. Just try to avoid Kailhs, as they are notorious for quality issues.

Corsair boards are okay, not the best in quality imo as some boards have switches that feel much better such as the Poker 3 which I use, but they will last you a long time. Those that got keyboards that didn't last long either did something stupid, or they got a dud.