forum

Ken Arai - HYPNOTIK

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
hulululu-lulu
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 2017. március 22. at 21:52:45

Artist: Ken Arai
Title: HYPNOTIK
Source: Parasyte -the maxim-
Tags: Anime Electronic
BPM: 175
Filesize: 12055kb
Play Time: 03:51
Difficulties Available:
  1. ~Hardish (3,24 stars, 453 notes)
Download: Ken Arai - HYPNOTIK
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my first beatmap. Any suggestions are welcome.
Asara
Hi~~

I just stumbled across this map and I thought I'd give some (hopefully helpful) suggestions.
This isn't going to be a formal mod, but I'll give you a few broad thoughts.

General Things
  1. For a lot of the song, you seem to be mapping pretty much exclusively on the white ticks, which is good in that you want to be emphasizing the strongest sounds (which are usually on the white ticks), but it also means that you are leaving out a lot of sounds, like this one 01:22:228 -
  2. This means that there's a lot of time in the song when the player isn't doing much. Since this is a hard difficulty, it's probably better to be mapping pretty continuously, so that there are few if any gaps >1/2 beat in size (sometimes such gaps are warranted like this gap 01:39:542 (1,1) - would be okay given the music and the difficulty
  3. I notice that you are using a lot of symmetry in the map, and while it can make a map look good, it also feels pretty restrictive. I think it'd be nice for there to be a bit more variety in how you construct your patterns, with different and more complex slider shapes, different angles of jumps, and so on.
  4. Almost all of your objects are confined into the very center of the playing field. Use up the corners too and make the player move!
Specifics
  1. One of the things that you should look into is the spacing of your objects. For lower difficulties, including hard, this usually means that the further the object is from the previous one in time, it should likewise be far removed in space. This doesn't apply to long time gaps but for short ones this does apply
  2. An example is this 02:26:514 (1,2,3,4,5) - You don't really show this spacing before, and since the notes are really close together, it's really tempting for players to interpret this set of objects as a 1/4 stream instead of a bunch of 1/2 gaps.
  3. This section 01:50:857 (1,1,1,1,1) - though it looks cool, is kind of hard to read. And I don't think continuous 1/2 sliders are really representative of the rhythm here. There's a lot more interesting things happening both in the background, and in the drums too.
  4. 01:51:199 (1,1) - An example is these too sliders. There is a major sound on the tail of the first slider and then a major sound on the head of the second. Since you want players to be hitting objects at the same time as there are major sounds going in the music, I would recommend changing 01:51:199 (1) - into two objects and having there be a circle at 01:51:371 - so you get both sounds.
  5. One last thing is comboing, and though this varies person by person, usually new combos appear whenever a musical phrase ends, namely on the downbeats. Also, try to keep your comboing consistent across the song, as there were portions where put a new combo on every beat and others every bar.
There are definitely a few more things that I could talk about, but I think that those really cover it. Probably the most important one is rhythm. Try to keep mapping objects to the most important sounds in the music, and try to keep the player moving at all times. That probably means a lot more objects/sliders!

I'm not too experienced with mapping myself, but if you want some advice, you could always go watch pishifat's youtube videos on mapping like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1_HRo-lWWI

Hope this helped and have fun mapping!
Topic Starter
hulululu-lulu

Asara wrote:

Hi~~

I just stumbled across this map and I thought I'd give some (hopefully helpful) suggestions.
This isn't going to be a formal mod, but I'll give you a few broad thoughts.

General Things
  1. For a lot of the song, you seem to be mapping pretty much exclusively on the white ticks, which is good in that you want to be emphasizing the strongest sounds (which are usually on the white ticks), but it also means that you are leaving out a lot of sounds, like this one 01:22:228 -
  2. This means that there's a lot of time in the song when the player isn't doing much. Since this is a hard difficulty, it's probably better to be mapping pretty continuously, so that there are few if any gaps >1/2 beat in size (sometimes such gaps are warranted like this gap 01:39:542 (1,1) - would be okay given the music and the difficulty
  3. I notice that you are using a lot of symmetry in the map, and while it can make a map look good, it also feels pretty restrictive. I think it'd be nice for there to be a bit more variety in how you construct your patterns, with different and more complex slider shapes, different angles of jumps, and so on.
  4. Almost all of your objects are confined into the very center of the playing field. Use up the corners too and make the player move!
Specifics
  1. One of the things that you should look into is the spacing of your objects. For lower difficulties, including hard, this usually means that the further the object is from the previous one in time, it should likewise be far removed in space. This doesn't apply to long time gaps but for short ones this does apply
  2. An example is this 02:26:514 (1,2,3,4,5) - You don't really show this spacing before, and since the notes are really close together, it's really tempting for players to interpret this set of objects as a 1/4 stream instead of a bunch of 1/2 gaps.
  3. This section 01:50:857 (1,1,1,1,1) - though it looks cool, is kind of hard to read. And I don't think continuous 1/2 sliders are really representative of the rhythm here. There's a lot more interesting things happening both in the background, and in the drums too.
  4. 01:51:199 (1,1) - An example is these too sliders. There is a major sound on the tail of the first slider and then a major sound on the head of the second. Since you want players to be hitting objects at the same time as there are major sounds going in the music, I would recommend changing 01:51:199 (1) - into two objects and having there be a circle at 01:51:371 - so you get both sounds.
  5. One last thing is comboing, and though this varies person by person, usually new combos appear whenever a musical phrase ends, namely on the downbeats. Also, try to keep your comboing consistent across the song, as there were portions where put a new combo on every beat and others every bar.
There are definitely a few more things that I could talk about, but I think that those really cover it. Probably the most important one is rhythm. Try to keep mapping objects to the most important sounds in the music, and try to keep the player moving at all times. That probably means a lot more objects/sliders!

I'm not too experienced with mapping myself, but if you want some advice, you could always go watch pishifat's youtube videos on mapping like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1_HRo-lWWI

Hope this helped and have fun mapping!
Hello!

Thank you for your suggestions, they were very helpful. Seems like I will remap most of it, because it really is too simple. And maybe even try to map an easy or normal difficulty before that.

I played the map quite a few times to check things and after a while couldn't really tell that some spacings were that bad. I kinda felt that it may be hard to read for others, but I wanted someone to confirm it.

Regarding the combos, that was the last change i made. Before it, combos made more sense in regard to the music. I just changed them so they would look better (+ hopefully set the mood I wanted) and since i couldn't really feel the effect of changing them, I said "Why not?". I admit, I knew that it may have been a bad decision.
I guess combining aesthetics with good mapping requires *a bit* more skill. :oops: :lol:

If I may ask a question regarding rythm, because this is what concerns me the most (partially this is the reason why this map came to be this simple): To what extent is it acceptable to map to "my" rythm (meaning that it sounds good and follows the song in a broader term)? For example: 02:56:342 - through two whole combos starting here, I didn't really follow any notes directly, but I think it still sounds good, 03:27:885 and 02:00:114 - not following at either of them, 03:05:942 - 3 sliders, especially the latter two

Again, thank you very much for your time! (Also, congrats for earning your first 2 kudosu! :D)
Asara
Hey again~~

I'll reply to your question in short here. If you want something a little more detailed you can probably in game message me - if I have time I'll respond to you there.

Alright here I go...

With regards to the part at 02:56:342 (1) - There are sounds you could map to though they are quite faint. If possible, try to stick to what's in the music rather than what sounds good. One thing to note is that since this is a build up section. You could reflect that in the frequency of the objects you place. Given that this is a hard, one thing you could do is start off by placing one circle par bar on the downbeat. Then when the drum starts going every 2/1, you could place 1/1 sliders on every other beat. And when the drum picks up even more maybe start using 1/2 sliders, then 1/4 kick sliders if the drummer starts rolling. That's just an example but in that way you can build up the map just like the music does.

With regards to 02:00:114 (1) - I think its unwise to use a 1/8 kick slider when the rhythm is purely 1/4. What I would do instead in this specific case is place a 5 note 1/4 stream at 02:00:285 - to cover that. A 1/4 kick slider works too. But it's important to just utilize the rhythms in the song. Sometimes it's okay to over map. But not here.

Same goes for 03:28:571 - you have 1 beat of 1/2 drums and 1 beat of 1/4 drums. A 1/4 kickslider doesn't reflect that change, but maybe 2 1/4 sliders and a 5 note stream would. Or two 1/2 notes and a 1/4 click slider.

So in general, try to reflect changes in the song rhythm with your mapping too. And don't stray too far away from the rhythm of the song itself.

Hope this helps!
Topic Starter
hulululu-lulu

Asara wrote:

Hey again~~

I'll reply to your question in short here. If you want something a little more detailed you can probably in game message me - if I have time I'll respond to you there.

Alright here I go...

With regards to the part at 02:56:342 (1) - There are sounds you could map to though they are quite faint. If possible, try to stick to what's in the music rather than what sounds good. One thing to note is that since this is a build up section. You could reflect that in the frequency of the objects you place. Given that this is a hard, one thing you could do is start off by placing one circle par bar on the downbeat. Then when the drum starts going every 2/1, you could place 1/1 sliders on every other beat. And when the drum picks up even more maybe start using 1/2 sliders, then 1/4 kick sliders if the drummer starts rolling. That's just an example but in that way you can build up the map just like the music does.

With regards to 02:00:114 (1) - I think its unwise to use a 1/8 kick slider when the rhythm is purely 1/4. What I would do instead in this specific case is place a 5 note 1/4 stream at 02:00:285 - to cover that. A 1/4 kick slider works too. But it's important to just utilize the rhythms in the song. Sometimes it's okay to over map. But not here.

Same goes for 03:28:571 - you have 1 beat of 1/2 drums and 1 beat of 1/4 drums. A 1/4 kickslider doesn't reflect that change, but maybe 2 1/4 sliders and a 5 note stream would. Or two 1/2 notes and a 1/4 click slider.

So in general, try to reflect changes in the song rhythm with your mapping too. And don't stray too far away from the rhythm of the song itself.

Hope this helps!
Got it, thank you. I started to remap it, trying to take everything you said into consideration, and -though it became a ~4 star map- playing it already feels better. But I don't think I will have enough time to finish it in the next few days/weeks.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.