forum

osu!depressive

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
RhythmRetard
Do any fairly good players have any tips on how to get better at mania? I've been playing 4k mania for about a year now and have over 180 hours but I feel like my progression is abnormally slow. When I look at players who have similar amounts of performance points as me they're usually much lower in level and I'm fast approaching level 89 but I have the skills of someone who is level 50. Somehow I've managed to get an A on a couple of 4 star songs but I mostly fail them or get a B. 3.00-3.20 star songs are mostly what I play, but even then my scores range anywhere from 800,000-930,000. So any advice would be helpful.
Yuudachi-kun
Woah I haven't heard anyone try to measure skill level in terms of profile level for a long ass time now.
Topic Starter
RhythmRetard
I know profile level doesn't correlate with someones skill at osu. I'm saying from what I've seen people who have played mania for a similar amount of time as me normally are much better. I feel like I'm unusually bad at mania so I just want tips.
Pachiru
osu!level =/= skill
Topic Starter
RhythmRetard
I know. I just said that.
Ayaya
Maybe if you changed your username you'll get a skill boost. All jokes aside, how about playing more unranked maps from here.
Topic Starter
RhythmRetard
Oh wow I can't believe I've never seen that post before. I'll check them out. Thanks!
Meseki
Also, be aware that people may have previous experience with rhythm games prior to osu!mania (especially in the case of 4K, since Stepmania is a very popular rhythm game simulator), so their level/play time may not correlate with how long they spent getting that good (such as me having played beatmania IIDX since 2007 and Stepmania since a few years before that).
Yuudachi-kun

Meseki wrote:

Also, be aware that people may have previous experience with rhythm games prior to osu!mania (especially in the case of 4K, since Stepmania is a very popular rhythm game simulator), so their level/play time may not correlate with how long they spent getting that good (such as me having played beatmania IIDX since 2007 and Stepmania since a few years before that).

I had 0 4k experience when I started in may :thinking:
Edgar_Figaro
Sadly despite what many may tell you, not everyone is equally dispositioned towards certain skillsets. Myself I have played all the gamemodes and I can say roughly that I have

1. Progressed extremely slowly in Standard
2. Progressed Quickly in Taiko
3. Progressed Moderately in CTB
4. Progressed somewhat slowly in Mania

Even though I am the same person playing different modes of the same game my progression rate in the different modes is varied. Now you could say that maybe I practiced the correct way in Taiko and wrong in Standard or any other thing but ultimately I think each game mode requires different sets of skills and people are naturally better or worse at the various ones. Sure you can train and get better at anything but your improvement rate will vary vastly from other players.

Example: A professional athlete in lets say Tennis would have an easier time learning badminton than a professional football player as they have already learned alot of the skills needed for the sport from their time playing tennis. While the professional football player would have built up alot of muscles & cardiovascular strength which would help them out less of the skills will translate. While both of the athletes would have an easier time learning badminton than a regular person as they have had years of workout and strengthening their muscles to help them succeed.

Long story short, yes playing more will make you better but never compare your improvement to others. At best it will make you think "that's neat" & at worst make you feel bad about your improvement. Instead what I do when I want to see if I've improved is go back and play a song you know you struggled with say a month ago and play it again. You might be suprised how much easier it is.
Exarian
I'm also having trouble with 4*+ songs because I cant read the patterns so idk, and yeah I know the star rating system is pretty broken in mania sometimes. I've tried practising with converts and unranked maps but even those are too hard for me to get an A or S
Bobbias

RhythmRetard wrote:

I know profile level doesn't correlate with someones skill at osu. I'm saying from what I've seen people who have played mania for a similar amount of time as me normally are much better. I feel like I'm unusually bad at mania so I just want tips.
First, learning speed depends on a LOT of different things. For example, some people will focus on high accuracy plays, which leads to very slow learning. Some people just learn slower/faster than other people, etc.

Second, don't worry about other players learning speeds. Everyone learns at a different pace. While it's possible to find ways to learn faster, if you have a slow learning speed, it won't make you suddenly way better over night.

As for previous experience, I've played rhythm games games (including Stepmania and O2jam) for a total of something like 13 years now, and there are people much better than me who've only been playing for like a year or less. Does that suck? Yeah. Do I let it get to me? Nope.

If you want to stick around and really truly reach your full potential, you need to keep a mindset based on self-improvement, not comparing your skill or improvement speed to anyone else.

Gamerz, at that skill level you should be trying to identify what your weakness is, and practicing specifically maps that test that skill. And honestly, even getting Bs can help you improve.
x incoming
Figure out your strengths and weaknesses, play in their favour

Ranking up in the short-term means playing to your strengths, only playing maps of a type which you're extremely good at compared to others

Ranking up over a long period of time means improving your weaknesses and practicing outside of your comfort zone every time you play
nadavv
a tip i give a lot of noobs that makes them git gud is to go to their skin.ini and change the columnwidth to 64,64,64,64

made someone a while ago go from best play 64pp to 119pp in 2 attempts
Hinpoppo
I really want to post something long but I have no time

a. Plant yourself into communities. They will help you in a lot of ways (one of them is to help hook you up with the right charts to play, something as small as that can make a huge difference.)

b. Think about what you play and how it helps you. You may find out you have a hidden skillset outside of the ranked songs you're probably comparing yourself to other people with. An example would be how much sucking at LN can hit you in the "nutshack" at the level you are, but if you have been playing jumpstream you'll find yourself steamrolling people who play "gimmicky" stuff. If you don't understand some of the terminology here, you need to get out and join a discord server or meet people within the game.

c. If you want to get good at something, just do it. You'll get better, guaranteed. It may even unblock something you've been having trouble with. It's good to play variety, just pay attention, once again, to what you're playing and how it can affect you. It can be hard at a level where everything is foreign to you, but that's why you stick with letter a up there and meet other people to give you some ideas.

d. lol it's getting redundant cause i'm too lazy to find other things to say and finding it hard to restrict myself from writing every single thought i've had and conversed about already

e. Don't let people like Khelly discourage you, if anything he's one of the lucky ones because he had been passionate about it coming from a Osu!Standard stamina die-hard mindset and had me to guide him <3

Seriously though, people seem to underestimate the first point. I only got better after getting in a multi-room with https://osu.ppy.sh/u/2324084 and https://osu.ppy.sh/u/Ainyan and I owe them for probably 95% of all of the progress I had made. Especially when Ainyan had started to guide me. Also Shoegazer cause he's a fucking boss. They can't make you better directly but they can sure influence you more than you can imagine.
Yuudachi-kun
I miss you and I wish you'd come back to 4k :(
yetii
Just play maps that are slightly too hard for you a bunch and u might see some results after a while, also changing up your skin and scrollspeed might do the trick. You won't get results immedietly but in the long run this should allow you to improve at a steady rate even if it is slow. Just focus and improving instead of playing just for the heck of it without pushing yourself to your limit.
bighatpaul
don't forget to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. don't be afraid to turn fail off and in multi if you fail just keep playing. the more you push yourself the better you will be. you have to take those steps out.
Amamiya Aqua

nadavv wrote:

a tip i give a lot of noobs that makes them git gud is to go to their skin.ini and change the columnwidth to 64,64,64,64

sorry to dig this thread from its graveyard. but are you talking about a certain type of skin like arrow or just all skins in general? because I find it extremely hard to read when I set my columnwidth to anything >60 and I'm using flat.
nadavv

Amamiya Aqua wrote:

nadavv wrote:

sorry to dig this thread from its graveyard. but are you talking about a certain type of skin like arrow or just all skins in general? because I find it extremely hard to read when I set my columnwidth to anything >60 and I'm using flat.
in general i use flat too.
you should raise your scroll speed togheter with columnsize
Amamiya Aqua

nadavv wrote:

in general i use flat too.
you should raise your scroll speed togheter with columnsize
makes sense. I use scroll 29 with arrow columnwidth 64 (but accuracy is 2-3% lower than when I use 25 with flat columnwidth 50). maybe I should increase both the scroll speed and columnwidth gradually