forum

Steins;Gate

posted
Total Posts
show more
dNextGen
John Titor da yo

Reisen-Inaba
I watched it until episode 14 and am still waiting for a ger sub of episode 15. Damn Steins;Gate just sucked me into it... i started watching it when 13 episodes were out and watched all in 2 days... after episode 6 i were unable to stop watching.
Oh and why are so many people hating the tuturu sound mayuri makes to replace a simple hello? I just like it...
Anyways i hated the episode in that mayuri dies again and again and again, because i like her somehow. Now it´s out that the girl is John Titor, i didn´t wonder ... it was just really obvious and after she said that with barrel titor near to everyone could think it by him/herself. I just asked myself 1 question about John Titor.... why does a girl names itself John Titor... John is definately a male name.... is it to not let others think that she could be it, or is she just like Rukako and wants to be the other gender?
Why was shining finger part of SERN? I hated her for not speaking, but that she is a part of sern is just .... needless.
TKiller
So Daru is Half-time worker's father, which was pretty obvious since they have the same hair, and that was pretty much the main theme of the episode.

Actions of all these characters related to time travelling keep getting more and more illogical for me, but that's mostly because of my opinions on time travelling theory in general.

Also, Kurisu did finish the Time Lapse machine in less than 48 hours, or am I mixing stuff up? Since if so, just make her work immediately after next time lapse @ win more time :D
Lilac
I got persuaded to cosplay as Ruka...

...Comments?
TKiller
Don't think your complexion/face suit his her his whatever image.

I'm sure there is a character who'd you fit much better.

Up to you tho.
Faust

Lilac wrote:

I got persuaded to cosplay as Ruka...

...Comments?

adam2046
http://vn.shourai.net/
Why am I only hearing of this now?
TKiller
I hate the PC VN format with passion, but if this gets translated, I'm going to oh god oh god oh god hype
Remilia--_old
Eh
i seriously need someone to explain to me about this anime. Im starting to watch it and im not quite understanding it
(I have bad english x:)
Firo Prochainezo

Remilia-- wrote:

Eh
i seriously need someone to explain to me about this anime. Im starting to watch it and im not quite understanding it
but joke asides, I tried to watch few episodes and it was pretty confusing. Can someone explain it to me or something?
Waryas

TKiller wrote:

I hate the PC VN format with passion, but if this gets translated, I'm going to oh god oh god oh god hype
I don't have the attention span to read VNs, i have no idea why but I just can't.
I can watch anime or read manga with no problems but VNs are just something I can't get into even though i know i'm missing a lot of gems
Synx7

Remilia-- wrote:

Eh
It is harder to understand if your main language is not English, that's why I'm watching it with spanish subs.
The overall anime is amazing, I can't remember any other anime with such an interesting plot, it is really confusing at the beginning, but you understand it with the time and also makes your mind fly about possible answers to the shown mysteries.
Personally I would had suicide or try to change the past when Okarin made the moe disappear, who cares about how many times Mayuri dies? XD
AlkemiaBox
Daru (Supa Hakah) = Suzuha / John Titor father.

anyone agree with me?
Mukku
Who knows.
TKiller
Ha-ha.
Pimpi
I've seen the episode 16 recently: why? why Suzuha had to died without the possibility to do something to change the future? D:
Perhaps the fansub I'm subscribed (Neutral Spanish), are overdue for an episode by the moment.
I have no trouble, at least they always do a good job :D
ziin
I don't understand this anime halp
SPOILER
Rintarō Okabe is an 18 year old mad scientist who has 2 friends who help him out in his mad scientist tasks. Okabe and Daru are rather smart, with Mayuri not-so-smart.

Okabe is pretty crazy, such as talking to himself, and making it clear he's a mad scientist. He's pretty much a dumbass. Kurisu is a fellow (famous) scientist girl he meets in the first episode which offers a huge amount of foreshadowing, as Kurisu dies shortly after he meets her, then he texts daru. Immediately his brain goes crazy, which signifies that the timeline has split. He is (as far as we know) the only person who can remember everything from timeline to timeline. Later we find she is not dead.

Rather inexplicably they have made a microwave controlled by a cell phone which does not actually cook food. Instead it sends something back into the past. Anything inside the microwave gets sent back in time, but loses its chemical composition and turns into green goop. Much simpler things, such as 39 bytes of data, can be sent back to pagers/cell phones.

The first few episodes detail how they use the microwave time machine to send messages (D-mail) into the past. They gain new friends, find out more about the problems associated with sending dmails, and get themselves into a horrific mess.

The other thing that is developed is an actual time machine, which a person enters, and is sent back in time, along with the machine itself. It can only go backwards. The third method of time travel is using a huge amount of suspension of belief (compressing 2 TB of data into 39 bytes) and sending memories back from a cell phone, transmitted directly into the brain, with a limit of a few days (otherwise the difference in memories would be too great). This is called a time-jump.

Since Okabe is the only one who can remember things after a d-mail (it's uncertain whether or not others can remember a time-jump, as he's the only one who has done it), it's very confusing to both him and the viewer.

There's a few things I don't quite understand:
SPOILER
Why does John Titor visit the year 2000?
How does Ruka become a girl without becoming a completely different person? The sperm has to be a completely different sperm. I can understand that even the slightest change in ruka's mother's daily life would alter the rest of the day, and thus the act of procreation later. Of course if she sent the D-mail when her mother was pregnant, then that's completely insane.
Sallad4ever
Finally the next episode will be dealing with Shining finger. I wonder how Okabe will react
Guessing from the flow of the prev eps, I guess Kurisu will die near the end :(
BatterKnife
I still don't understand this show after all these episodes. What the heck is going on?
Topic Starter
Sinistro
I still don't understand this show after all these episodes. What the heck is going on?
Even after Ziin's summary? I thought that was well written enough. Ok, let's try one more time, then.

SPOILER
Okabe (the tall guy in the lab coat) is an electronics student and friends with Daru (the fat one) and Mayuri (the girl in the hat). He plays the persona of a "mad scientist" who's persecuted by an imaginary Organisation.

One day, he goes to a lecture about time travel and meets a brilliant young physicist called Kurisu (the red-hair girl with a tie). She mentions they've met, but he has never seen her before. Later, he hears a scream and finds Kurisu lying in a pool of blood. When he sends a text message to Daru about how she was murdered, he finds himself in a weird world for a while. Then, he discovers history has changed: the lecture he remembers having attended never took place, and Kurisu is alive.

Eventually, Okabe and his group of friends, to which we add Kurisu, Suzuha (girl in pigtails who works in the shop of Okabe's landlord), Moeka (tall silent girl with mobile phone), Ruka (guy who looks like a girl and dresses like a shrine priestess) and Feyris (cosplaying cat-girl) discover that somehow, the phone-operated microwave they've constructed can send stuff into the past. Organic matter gets turned into jelly, but data, like short text messages, can travel back just fine. Okabe realises that the message he sent to Daru about Kurisu's death was sent into the past, as well.

Okabe and his friends send a number of text messages to the past (called D-mails) that change history in a number of ways, although Okabe is the only one who remembers there ever existing other timelines. At the same time, the group has done two more things: First, they've hacked into a research institute called SERN, which they were only able to do thanks to a rare, old PC called IBN-5100. They found that SERN has been studying time travel and done several human experiments, which resulted in deaths. The IBN PC vanishes from the lab when Moeka sends a D-mail. Second, Kurisu has somehow managed to find a way to compress the memories of a person into D-mail size, creating the "Time Leap Machine". By sending a person's memories back in time in the form of a D-mail, it's like the person themselves travels back. However, the machine has a limit of two days; any further and the past and present brain are too different.

SERN discovers Okabe's group has been researching time travel and wants to stop them. After sending threatening messages to Okabe, they end up raiding the lab. At this point, we find out Moeka is a SERN spy. Moeka kills Mayuri, but thanks to Suzuha's interference, Okabe is able to leap into the past. Although he tries several times, he can't prevent Mayuri's death; even when they evade SERN, she dies in some other way.

At one point, Okabe is approached by Suzuha, who reveals herself as a time traveller from 2036. In the timeline Suzuha's from, SERN rules the world with an iron fist. Suzuha's original mission is to travel to 1975 and get an IBN-5100, but she stopped in 2010 to try and meet her dad, which is eventually revealed to be Daru. Suzuha finally travels to 1975, but the group later learn that her damaged time machine caused her to lose her memory from 1975 to 2000. Distraught, she committed suicide one year later. Okabe realises that he is the one to blame, since one of his D-mails delayed Suzuha's departure until after her time machine had been damaged by a storm. When he reverses that D-mail out of guilt, he finds out that, as a side effect, Mayuri's death happens one day later than usual. From this he theorises that if he manages to reverse all the D-mails that were sent in the first half of the show, maybe he can reach a timeline where a) Mayuri doesn't die and b) they have the IBN-5100, which will allow them to hack into SERN again and delete all the information they have about Okabe, preventing them from ever attacking.

So far, Okabe has managed to reverse Feyris and Ruka's D-mails, even though both of them were happier with the new timelines. Now, the only message that remains to be reversed is the one sent by Moeka...How will Okabe be able to persuade the SERN spy?

Hopefully that's simple enough! I don't think I can make it shorter without excluding important information. Keep in mind the stuff I write is based on existing episodes; future ones can change their meaning. If you still don't get things, try reading the Wikipedia article, I dunno.
BatterKnife
I know all this. It's just that...I know the goal for Okabe is to not let Mayuri die and he has been time/mind-traveling and trying to undo everything to the point before they got the IBN-5100, it might save Mayuri.

Even tho I know all this and understand the plot I just don't understand the point or something like that. :|
Topic Starter
Sinistro
Oh. Well, he obviously cares about her a lot. She's known her since childhood, they seem pretty close, and it's even implied at one point that he only started to play the mad scientist as a roundabout way to tell Mayuri she's important to him after she was depressed that her grandma died (I don't remember the exact episode, but it's probably the beginning of episode 13 or 14 or something).

There's also the fact that she's the victim of circumstances beyond her control. Okabe, Daru and Kurisu researched time travel, but the one paying with her life for it is Mayuri, so he feels responsible for dragging her into this.

Not using spoilertags since all this happened like months ago.
Backstabber
Shit just got reaaaally dark. Not not much feelgood left at all. But the 2 latest episodes where intense!
adam2046
It'd be nice if they explained how memories are supposed to work in this show.
Mianki

Sallad4ever wrote:

I've got the feeling I've seen a movie with the same premise as the current episode. A guy trying to safe his girlfriend by going to the past but the girls will in the end always dead by other thing even after he saved her. I don't remember the title :o
LATE but it's this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268695/ (sh*tty movie, don't watch it).

adam2046 wrote:

It'd be nice if they explained how memories are supposed to work in this show.
SPOILER
From what I've understood, in every time line, people have their own memories which are not linked to each other and don't affect one another. BUT those who have send D-mails can remember memories from that time line (in which they have send it) and the trigger is Okabe. Maybe because of the Reading Steiner? Other than this, there's no exceptions. But yeah, it would be nice if they explained why those persons remember sending D-mails.
Sorry for possible grammar mistakes
That's all from me and now to watch ep 21 ^^

Edit: Ep 21:
SPOILER
Laughed :D
Backstabber
MOTHER OF GOD! The latest episode was just a pain to watch D: I really hope some of you are good at reading lips, I NEED to know what Kurisu said at the train station. Also, I was real close to falcon punch my monitor when she got cut off mid sentence in the end.
Art-FzTT
SA YO(u) NA RA ! ... thats what i think

1 of the best series i saw for long time :) hope dont end nau T_T
Backstabber
Thanks a bunch! There will be atleast one more episode. It's called "Open the Steins;Gate". So it sounds like the last one :(
Sallad4ever
one thing I notice from the most recent episode is Christina run sooooo fast

A series will become a masterpiece if it has an ending, of course it obviously have to be satisfying. Anyway, I just hope the ending won't disappoint me
TKiller
"Relativity theory is so romantic" is the most hilarious thing I've heard in quite some time.
Sallad4ever

TKiller wrote:

"Relativity theory is so romantic" is the most hilarious thing I've heard in quite some time.
I agree
Backstabber
My head is full of fuck. I just had a grip of this anime :o Looks like the it's not over yet.
TKiller
And that's it.
Fabi
Best anime 2011. There will be a film if im not wrong.

Found it! http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -green-lit
TKiller
I wouldn't call it best of 2011. Nor it was something I expected it to be, but at least it was interesting to watch.
Backstabber
Last ep was amazing. Didn't really get what was going on, but it's fine.
I would buy the movie twice if it ever came to Norway.
xsrsbsns
8.5/10 from me.

TKiller wrote:

at least it was interesting to watch.
Hitsugaya936
I want to watch the movie. But this be remake or alternative ending?
Sallad4ever
Great anime!!
While it's not the best, it's still better then other series from the previous season. The ending is quite good too.

El Psy Congroo :D
Lance
The jump into OP gave me goosebumps. Nothing too surprising from the series outside of Mayuri's initial death, but still very fun overall. Can't wait to see what the movie is about.
show more