forum

Mania scoring is strange

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MrLinuxFish
I have noticed that the scoring system in mania as it is now doesn't seem to work properly. I have played many maps and got higher accuracy and combo, but lower score than a previous attempt. I don't understand why rainbow 300's give considerably more score than a better combo or accuracy. If this is the direction standard is going, I don't like the change. To my understanding the reason the scoring in mania is odd is that it is score V2 (higher combo means you can lose more points for anything under a rainbow 300). Imo the scoring should take combo into account for a multiplier (of some description) and then award points based on the accuracy of the hit instead of calculating a theoretical maximum and then giving you a score penalty for anything which is not a perfect hit.

Edit: The scoring system is just strange compared to standard and doesn't make sense if you use the same criteria for improvement as standard. (In mania it seems rainbow 300s are more of an indication of skill than accuracy or combo like in standard).
Wh1teh
ScoreV2 is tournament only.
Also read this https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Osu!mania#Score
Topic Starter
MrLinuxFish
Ok, maybe score v2 actually works better than the current scoring system. I just find it odd you can get a lower score with both a higher combo and accuracy on osu mania currently.
Redon
Topic Starter
MrLinuxFish
I did look at how it's scored, it just doesn't make sense to me.
Wh1teh
It punishes you more for having bad acc or missing all around to map, rather than in a single spot in a chart. It also rewards players who can recover quick and have a good acc in situation where they do miss. It sure does feel kinda bad when u get memed by it, but most of the time it's pretty okay.
Full Tablet
Combo doesn't matter as much in mania, and it shouldn't matter either (The length of strings of non-misses is an unreliable indicator of consistency or accuracy, using only the timing error of each note or the count of judgments is better). In scorev1, the "combo" part doesn't actually use the displayed combo number (it uses a Bonus value system, which is a variable that caps at 100, increases with 300s and Rainbows, and decreases with other judgments).

The acc% value displayed in-game is not a good indicator of accuracy. Relative to the value of a 200 and a Rainbow, 300s/100s/50s/Misses do not punish accuracy percentage enough. Scorev2 considers Rainbows as 305 instead of 300 for the accuracy value used in score (Relative to the value of a 200 and a Rainbow, 300s punish accuracy more, but 100s/50s/Misses punish less); with that change, 300s still punish few relative to the value of a Rainbow and a 200.
Topic Starter
MrLinuxFish
I'm less angry about the score as I am confused about the specifics. I guess even if I get meme'd sometimes the scoring is ok (though it is a little odd). It seems like the scoring might be better at higher levels of play. It would be nice if rainbow's were calculated in the accuracy to make it more of an indication of skill in a map.
-Squishy
Different games have their own way of scoring. The more variables taken into account, the more confusing it is to justify the score you got especially around 300k-700k. The current scoring system doesn't do a good job in taking accounts of extreme circumstances like having 30 misses in a row vs 10 misses spread out. In this case it will put the first score higher due to combo multiplier being maxed out through most of the song. ScoreV2 doesn't necessarily fix this problem, but soften the extremes. You can't really have a good scoring system with the way it's already set up, but I think uniqueness is what should be somewhat relevant since there are already so many rhythm games.