forum

Mouse only. My hand and wrist hurt like hell

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Thosetimis
I'm relatively new to Osu and play mouse only. I have attempted switching to keyboard and mouse but the game seems somehow less enjoyable to me when played that way. I usually start out with pretty easy levels at the beginning of every session in order to warm up and adjust to Osu's wildly different mouse sensitivity compared to normal computer use. But then i Progress to ~3 star difficulty. (Ya I suck shudup) Around half way through most songs of this difficulty my hand and wrist begin to hurt and they seize up. My accuracy begins to suffer, and it becomes difficult to click fast enough to complete stacks. This usually leads to a late game failure. I hold my mouse with my index and middle finger placed on top on the left and right mouse buttons. My pinky and Ring fingers sit atop one another on a protrusion coming from the bottom right hand side of my mouse. my thumb rests on the same protrusion on the left side of the mouse. Does anyone have any tips on preventing the pain and stiffness? (Stretches, hand positioning, game options, etc.) Thank you for the help!
Seat Ibiza TDI
How long have you been playing ~3 star maps?
Topic Starter
Thosetimis

dat boi waffle wrote:

How long have you been playing ~3 star maps?
A little over a month probably. I dropped the game for a while because of this problem. I rarely complete any of them as previously mentioned
Seat Ibiza TDI
Try playing maps a little easier or slower than 3 stars and progress your way up.
By that time your wrist wont hurt anymore. This happens because you are aiming and clicking with one hand only and so your hand needs more time to adjust to that difficulty than an usual player who uses keyboard.
You can also alternate between 3 star maps and easy maps and even make some breaks if your hand starts to hurt more.
Topic Starter
Thosetimis

dat boi waffle wrote:

Try playing maps a little easier or slower than 3 stars and progress your way up.
By that time your wrist wont hurt anymore. This happens because you are aiming and clicking with one hand only and so your hand needs more time to adjust to that difficulty than an usual player who uses keyboard.
You can also alternate between 3 star maps and easy maps and even make some breaks if your hand starts to hurt more.
That is more or less what I have been doing. Virtually all of the ~300 beat maps around 2 - 2.5 stars I have, have been completed with at least an A or an S ranking. There seems to be a cutoff right around three stars that my stamina cannot handle. Ill make sure to get more beat maps of that difficulty if you think that will help. Is there anything else you can recommend me doing?
Seat Ibiza TDI
Last thing i can think of is make sure your hand is always relaxed, even if it means you will miss some hard part. Tensing your hand can lead to problems with it in the long run. Other than that I think your hand just needs to get used to clicking and aiming at the same time faster.
Sandy Hoey

dat boi waffle wrote:

Last thing i can think of is make sure your hand is always relaxed, even if it means you will miss some hard part. Tensing your hand can lead to problems with it in the long run. Other than that I think your hand just needs to get used to clicking and aiming at the same time faster.
It is completely up to you, but I would strongly suggest trying keyboard again. I know you don't think it is as fun as mouse only, but it really will help and I can't imagine pain is all that fun either
Topic Starter
Thosetimis

dat boi waffle wrote:

Alright i'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the help!