forum

[Archived] Osu gets extremely desynced, keeps going when paused?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
- Karma -
Problem Details:
So I just recently started playing Osu again, and I noticed a very bizarre issue with my game. After being in any beatmap for a minute or two, I started noticing that my game was desyncing very hard. Taps stopped registering correctly, and when I tried pausing the game to see what was going on, even though the map had paused, the music was still continuing in the background, to the point where it would reach the end of the song. And if I unpause in that situation I can resume the map and still play map, just without the audio and the game itself still being very desynced, rendering the game unplayable for me. This issue has persisted the few times I tried playing the game over intervals in a month, and I just tried doing a fresh reinstall and the issue persists, what can I do?

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20161101.2 (latest)
Upskirt
Can you enable the FPS counter in the game options and detail if you are getting frame drops or high latency/frame time?

Is it just the music that is delayed or is the game slowing down also?

Show me the processes list in Task Manager so I can isolate the issue.

Try changing the global offset in the options to 0
Topic Starter
- Karma -
The offset has been at 0, I've never modified it. The game itself doesn't lag, but the music gets incredibly desynced and so do my tabs. I also use the FPS counter and I'm not getting frame drops.
Upskirt
Did you reinstall the game to the same location as it was before?

Are you using a "gaming" headset such as Razer and the Razer surround sound software?

Try another USB port for your audio device.
Kao
Where is osu! Installed? Is it placed in a USB drive?
You can try disabling your antivirus and see if that helps (scan first before disabling your antivirus)

Could you give a screenshot of your task manager when this happens?
Also, try reinstalling the sound drivers
Topic Starter
- Karma -
Sorry for the ridiculous delay, the headset I use is the Logitech G930, it has a surround sound feature but after reading another thread similar to this one I disabled the feature. I have osu! installed on my primary hard drive I use for everything. As for antiviruses, I don't use any. I also just remember a separate issue, but I'm not sure how relevant it is to this one. Before I stopped playing a couple months ago I had a very annoying issue where if my computer had used more than 60% of its RAM, around 8/9 of of the 16GB I have, then whenever I would try playing osu! the game would lag extremely hard and stutter endlessly even on the main menu, rendering the game unplayable unless I restarted my computer to clear my RAM usage.
Upskirt

- Karma - wrote:

Sorry for the ridiculous delay, the headset I use is the Logitech G930, it has a surround sound feature but after reading another thread similar to this one I disabled the feature. I have osu! installed on my primary hard drive I use for everything. As for antiviruses, I don't use any. I also just remember a separate issue, but I'm not sure how relevant it is to this one. Before I stopped playing a couple months ago I had a very annoying issue where if my computer had used more than 60% of its RAM, around 8/9 of of the 16GB I have, then whenever I would try playing osu! the game would lag extremely hard and stutter endlessly even on the main menu, rendering the game unplayable unless I restarted my computer to clear my RAM usage.
Try playing with Surround Sound disabled or off. I've read that this can cause issues and has before with my old G35.

Maybe you can identify the source of the high RAM usage through Task Manager > Processes or Detail for Win 10. This could be the cause.

It's most likely some other program on your PC that is causing the issue.
Topic Starter
- Karma -
There are no unusually taxing processes going on when the issue is active. I haven't been using Surround Sound in order to avoid the issue but it persists.
Upskirt
Could try deleting your osu! config under your username then opening osu! and trying.

Something must be running in the background that's hogging resources or slowing down osu!. You can try running the process in the high priority.
Topic Starter
- Karma -
I tried changing the priority for osu, to no avail. I haven't been able to find anything to fix the problem and deleted the config, still to no avail. Not sure what else could be the issue.
Upskirt
Try with your headset unplugged.

I'll see if I can think of another solution. In the mean time you should snoop around your PC and check the hidden icons(arrow) on the bottom right of the taskbar to see if there are any background processes that are running that could affect performance. Check task manager processes/details(Win 10) also for any program that is non-malicious and could cause the issue. An example would be anything that modifies your GPU core clock or perhaps something that is frequently taxing your hard drive frequently.

If you have an Nvidia graphics card then close the Geforce Experience application, you won't need it.

What changed between the time before you were playing and now. Any hardware or software changes? Something you may have installed?
Topic Starter
- Karma -
Trying without the headset didn't work unfortunately. I can't recall anything particular changing in terms of program installations. I just noticed that right before the issue occurs the game seems to freeze for a split second, not sure what kind of indicator that provides.