forum

OWC Is In The Wrong Format

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rusthicc
OSU is a SINGLE-player game. The current style of 4v4 for tournaments for the OWC just doesn't work with osu's gameplay. The screen is very cluttered, it's hard to keep track of every player playing, and I think the biggest point, which is what OWC has been trying to continually improve upon, is the need to make every player count.

So what needs to be done to fix this?

Once again, osu is a single-player game. That's why this aspect of the game needs to be taken advantage of. While 4v4 may be fun to watch and all, this game isn't LOL or CSGO where we are looking at a team's teamwork and coordination. I am proposing a team style 1v1 tournament for the OWC. This can probably be most relatable to Starcraft.

How would this work?

Each country would choose a team of players, same way they always have. The difference would be that with those players, they would choose a roster. Let's say each team needs to have 7 players. The teams would decide on a lineup (order they will play) for each match. The teams would then send their lineup to the referee to prevent cheating. And the players will play against each other based on the order of their lineups. Regarding which map is chosen. The same way, rolling the dice. IMO this is would be one of the greatest tests of player overall player strengths because losing the dice roll would mean a player could potentially play a mapping style they're not comfortable with. Regarding the score system. Although I personally like Score V1, either version can be used. Or even better yet, add a bit more importance for combo in score V2 and make a score V3.

With this 1v1 playing method, EVERY player counts. We won't be seeing one player carrying an entire team, but as a result we will see how strong each player can be. No more will we see ignored players because they are being carried because they will ALL count. Furthermore, viewers will actually be able to keep track of what's going on!

Let me know what you guys think! :)
karterfreak
I personally don't want to see the official world cups leave the current team format and feel the exact opposite in regards to an individual format making 'every player count'. These cups are about the overall skill of the best players from a country. If you take away the team format as you propose with your idea then it isn't about the country as a whole anymore and becomes more about the individual players. Each player in the current format has equal importance as drops are significant from anyone, requiring the country as a whole to perform well instead of individual players having to perform well.
Ephemeral
There are changes slated to increase visibility and overall readability of the tournament client in group style matches going forward.

The OWC probably won't be changing formats ever, though.
Topic Starter
Rusthicc

Tasha wrote:

I personally don't want to see the official world cups leave the current team format and feel the exact opposite in regards to an individual format making 'every player count'. These cups are about the overall skill of the best players from a country. If you take away the team format as you propose with your idea then it isn't about the country as a whole anymore and becomes more about the individual players. Each player in the current format has equal importance as drops are significant from anyone, requiring the country as a whole to perform well instead of individual players having to perform well.
I don't agree personally. Even if the matches are 1v1's, it is still about the skill of the best players from a country. It just means that every player has to perform better. The way I proposed is a measure to judge how deep a lineup is per country, in other words, how good all their players are. I don't consider one person having the potential to carry the entire team as the whole country performing well. This, in my mind, would without a doubt show which country has the best players overall. Obviously it would place more importance on the individual players because that's what the whole idea is about. Your idea that the country as a whole won't be participating doesn't make sense to me, clearly they are, just as 1v1's.
Minhtam
So, you want osu! to be like tennis.

Last I checked, 1v1 Tennis isn't as popular as many team sports such as Football (Soccer), Basketball, Hockey, Cricket, etc. And you don't really have a reason to be invested in tennis unless you were a fan of a specific player. Team sports are popular because you can associate with a brand and be a fan of the brand (which often times is the city or town the team represents). And if you take the World Cup (of Soccer), there's no sporting event that can possibly eclipse that because people want to support the players in the name of their country.

I agree that there should be a 1v1 tournament where we can find the best player in the world, but it should not replace the OWC. Just feature a massive 1v1 tournament in the Spring/Summer and leave OWC where it is.
Mafumafu
OSU is a SINGLE-player game.

The statement is already incorrect, how do we need to discuss about other stuffs?
Topic Starter
Rusthicc

Minhtam wrote:

So, you want osu! to be like tennis.

Last I checked, 1v1 Tennis isn't as popular as many team sports such as Football (Soccer), Basketball, Hockey, Cricket, etc. And you don't really have a reason to be invested in tennis unless you were a fan of a specific player. Team sports are popular because you can associate with a brand and be a fan of the brand (which often times is the city or town the team represents). And if you take the World Cup (of Soccer), there's no sporting event that can possibly eclipse that because people want to support the players in the name of their country.

I agree that there should be a 1v1 tournament where we can find the best player in the world, but it should not replace the OWC. Just feature a massive 1v1 tournament in the Spring/Summer and leave OWC where it is.

Team sports work because they are actually played as a team. In OSU, players cannot interact with each other unless you are playing something like TAG 4 maps. It doesn't make any sense to make it the exact same style as a team sport when it isn't. I'm also not saying for OSU to be played as a complete 1v1 tournament like in Tennis. There will still be a team of like 7 players or however many there currently are, but they will be in a lineup. In that sense it's not like tennis at all. The best comparison would be to baseball where batters come up individually to hit.

Regarding your statement about popularity. Unless you are considering baseball not as popular as the sports you mentioned then what you said doesn't really make sense. Again, you are still supporting a certain country. All the players on the team will be the same country. They just play against each other 1v1 instead of as a 4v4 situation
Nwolf
that's why there are several tournaments hosted by players that are single player tournaments!
Topic Starter
Rusthicc
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've only ever seen those single player tournaments as strictly single player though. I did not notice a team of any sort during those tournaments.
Edgar_Figaro
There have been plenty of tournaments that have been setup by the community using a team-based format. You could also get a group of people and put one together with the methodology you have proposed here. But I think OWC, TWC, MWC, & CWC should remain in their current formats. The problem with doing a lineup is it would be EASIER to carry players as you just put them later up in the lineup and have all your strong players play first. If your team won the first 4 it'd be all over and the others wouldn't even play. Also tiebreakers are the best part of the current system. Just having an odd number of players would mean the last player would be the tiebreaker which wouldn't be as fun
Yauxo
There is no 'wrong format'.

I think OWC was born as a community tournament by Loctav(?), just like all the other tournaments in that forum right now. Having Team vs. Team is a fun thing to see and people have fun - so why bother? You're not going to get anywhere with that here. Opinions are cool, but you seem like youre trying to force a change upon something that's already a tradition.
Topic Starter
Rusthicc
The main reason why I suggest for the OWC tournament to change is because it is one of the biggest and well known tournaments by far. As well as, in my opinion, the best method to decide who "truly" is the best team. Of course, maybe the tie breaker won't be as exciting as you suggested; however, there are ways around that such as a 6v6, and thereafter a group stage would be warranted because both team's individual players would be considered "equally as strong." As for the stronger players carrying the team, that potential lies within both teams so that adds extra strategy, or maybe some would consider luck. Keep in mind that my reasoning for this format is to find the best team/country in the fairest method.

What makes the OWC a tradition, to me, is the amazing participation of the best players in the world rather than the current 4v4 format. Any tournament with so many of the best players of any game, will attract the most attention; it is also the most exciting to watch! My reasoning is as follows: If you're going to have such a big tournament, why not do it in the best and fair way possible? Even if that means changing the format to something unfamiliar.
Swampiez
This would be very interesting, or alternatively, there is a roster of 9 or however many players are needed. Then the maps are put in a order 1-9. Then each player may only be used ONCE in each round, to showcase which country has the best complete roster of players. This also involves lots of strategy, because what if you stack the front with your four best power players and go up big, but choke. This could be a huge improvement to the owc!

THIS IS JUST AN OPINION :)
osulover2021
gtgtgt
Kao

coley cole wrote:

gtgtgt
It would be great if you didn't post nonsense