kwk

UndeadCapulet wrote:

01:51:341 (1,2,1) - the fuck is this shit
put it back like before pls

actually i kinda hate like every change orz
what changes did you hate?
Nao Tomori
gonna wait till uc explains more.. >.>
the 4x repeat was one thing, i agree about that that it's much more iconic / cooler. not gonna agree on the 1/4 spam kiais tho, but wanna see what else they think can be improved since apparently old versions had more interesting stuff.
Halfslashed
Hi there, as I mentioned on discord this mod will mainly focus on the points brought up in the past few mods. I'm doing this because in my opinion, the way changes were applied or responded to ended up detracting from the quality of the map in some form.

Points I think improved the map (or didn't harm it) will not be included in this post.

This is the version i'm comparing against: https://pastebin.com/yn4zj6HS

[A Thousand Fated Connections]
00:46:994 (6) - This used to be a 1/1 slider which introduced your reverse emphasis concept, which I find to be really cool and fitting. Additionally, the difference in amount of notes clicked brought more emphasis to the instrumental here. As a circle + extended slider, you're representing the background buildup better, but your instrumental emphasis via undermapping is ruined since note density ends up too similar to the previous density. I recommend changing this back since it was cooler, introduced later concepts, and fit the instrumental better.
00:48:298 (2,3) - This used to be a 1/2 slider with a circle on 00:48:950 -, which again fit with your reverse emphasis concept and fit the sudden pitch increase of the vocal better by having the player lift off of the slider at that point, returning to the rest of the phrase with the circle. As is you're representing it more with spacing than rhythm which is boring. I recommend changing this back since your reverse emphasis concept gives more personality to the map than basic emphasis ideas.
01:00:037 (1) - 01:03:516 (1) - Here you have various different pace drops to represent the vocal in the older version, but in the newer version they more or less feel continuous. Refer to your old version to figure out how to fix this, because they provided a nice emphasis to the vocals with the amount of contrast they provide to the rest of the section.
01:05:254 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - Previously you had 1/4 slider spam here, but now you have rhythm that's a bit more representative of the vocals and such. The problem is now that you've introduced the 1/2 slider, you've created a difference in pacing from the 1/2 click spam. To remedy this, you can introduce a larger spacing throughout 01:05:254 (1,2,3) -. I don't necessarily agree with the idea of having it 1/4 slider spam, but you can at least try to compensate for the pacing drop with higher overall spacing.
01:11:993 (2) - This used to be a "bagel slider". By that I mean, a circular slider in which the head and tail overlap. You changed this slider to mirror 01:11:776 (1) - which ended up removing the vocal emphasis that the previous slider had. The current slider is followed more than the previous one, which fits the lower intensity of this vocal less. I recommend changing this back to a "bagel slider".
01:44:603 (2,3) - This used to be a 1/4 slider + circle. While it's true that this vocal loses some emphasis due to 3 being clickable, this creates suitable contrast for 01:43:516 (1,4) -, where as now the contrast is weaker due to the lower amount of clicks. The old rhythm still also represents vocal by having the slider component. I recommend changing this back to the 1/4 slider + circle to give more emphasis to the stronger vocals.
01:51:341 (1,2,1) - If you revert nothing else, revert this. This used to be a 1/1 triple repeat which fit the vocal. You traded this for a 1/1 slider + circle + 1/1 single reverse which fits the instrumental better and fits the song's pacing a bit better, but blends together with the rest of your rhythms in this section. Since emphasis wise you're trading one instrument for another, I suggest taking the triple reverse since it fits the song pretty much just as well but adds a lot more value to your map in how unique it is, and builds upon your previous reverse sliders well. Make sure to do the same for all similar parts.
01:53:950 - Previously these were more intense quadrilateral patterns. I agree with Lasse here that nerfing this pattern is a good idea, but now you've nerfed it to the point of breaking your cohesion with the patterns that start on 02:02:646 -. I recommend reintroducing the patterns you had before with lower overall spacing, so that the player can tell the similarities between these two sections.
03:22:428 (1) - Similar reasoning to 04:45:906 (1) -.
03:24:385 (1) - This used to be arranged like this which created a pace drop large enough to feel like emphasizing the drawn out vocal, since the player's cursor is staying roughly in the same area of the playfield for most of the slider. With the current shape the player follows most of the slider then waits, feeling more like an awkward pause than vocal emphasis. I recommend changing back to a shape similar to your old one.
04:45:906 (1) - This used to be this 1/2 repeat. You changed it instead to a circle + 1/2 slider to fit the strong instrumental on 04:46:124 - but now it doesn't fit the vocal at all, plus the instrumental was represented by the slider shape + placement of next object you had. There's no real advantage to leaving it as is in terms of representation, so I recommend changing this back.

Alright, that should be most of the things I wanted to mention. Please be careful about how you react to mods in the future and make sure to try to preserve your intentions through the process. Let me know if you would like some additional assistance with this map, it had some nice ideas imo.

Good luck!
Lasse
didn't see the map before most of the changes so I can't contribute much to the whole discussion

my only major concern were the 1/4 slider spam patterns where I think the current rhythm works better, but the suggested spacing increase might be worth considering.

just let me know when the discussion here has concluded since it will most likely require to start from bubble again, though I'll try to keep track of the thread anyways
Topic Starter
kwk

Halfslashed wrote:

Hi there, as I mentioned on discord this mod will mainly focus on the points brought up in the past few mods. I'm doing this because in my opinion, the way changes were applied or responded to ended up detracting from the quality of the map in some form.

Points I think improved the map (or didn't harm it) will not be included in this post.

This is the version i'm comparing against: https://pastebin.com/yn4zj6HS

[A Thousand Fated Connections]
01:00:037 (1) - 01:03:516 (1) - Here you have various different pace drops to represent the vocal in the older version, but in the newer version they more or less feel continuous. Refer to your old version to figure out how to fix this, because they provided a nice emphasis to the vocals with the amount of contrast they provide to the rest of the section. :arrow: hmm... i think a continuous feeling is better? i think atm with the spacing here 00:59:928 (8,1) - the pace already drops a bit/01:03:516 (1,2) - made spacing here smaller slightly but im not sure if thats what your really looking for
01:05:254 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - Previously you had 1/4 slider spam here, but now you have rhythm that's a bit more representative of the vocals and such. The problem is now that you've introduced the 1/2 slider, you've created a difference in pacing from the 1/2 click spam. To remedy this, you can introduce a larger spacing throughout 01:05:254 (1,2,3) -. I don't necessarily agree with the idea of having it 1/4 slider spam, but you can at least try to compensate for the pacing drop with higher overall spacing. :arrow: yeah the click pacing is a bit slower but i think with the spacing here 01:12:537 (2,3) - 01:13:841 (8,1) - etc the movement should feel overall sharper to emphasise the violins
01:51:341 (1,2,1) - If you revert nothing else, revert this. This used to be a 1/1 triple repeat which fit the vocal. You traded this for a 1/1 slider + circle + 1/1 single reverse which fits the instrumental better and fits the song's pacing a bit better, but blends together with the rest of your rhythms in this section. Since emphasis wise you're trading one instrument for another, I suggest taking the triple reverse since it fits the song pretty much just as well but adds a lot more value to your map in how unique it is, and builds upon your previous reverse sliders well. Make sure to do the same for all similar parts. :arrow: ya changed that back
03:22:428 (1) - Similar reasoning to 04:45:906 (1) -.
03:24:385 (1) - This used to be arranged like this which created a pace drop large enough to feel like emphasizing the drawn out vocal, since the player's cursor is staying roughly in the same area of the playfield for most of the slider. With the current shape the player follows most of the slider then waits, feeling more like an awkward pause than vocal emphasis. I recommend changing back to a shape similar to your old one. :arrow: i changed the shape but i didnt want to use the old one cause the spacing to the next note was rather deceptive and i ran out of space to make them further
04:45:906 (1) - This used to be this 1/2 repeat. You changed it instead to a circle + 1/2 slider to fit the strong instrumental on 04:46:124 - but now it doesn't fit the vocal at all, plus the instrumental was represented by the slider shape + placement of next object you had. There's no real advantage to leaving it as is in terms of representation, so I recommend changing this back. :arrow: i changed 04:45:906 (4) - to a slider maybe its better, maybe its not? let me know what you think he said it was fine

Alright, that should be most of the things I wanted to mention. Please be careful about how you react to mods in the future and make sure to try to preserve your intentions through the process. Let me know if you would like some additional assistance with this map, it had some nice ideas imo. :arrow: yeah the problem with this map is like this map was done while i was still figuring out how to map, and it got remapped a lot in burstsfrom when i first submitted this a long time ago and a lot of what my initial ideas got lost to the point where i dont even remember why some objects are arranged in certain ways. I think in the future it would be better now since my mapping is a bit more developed

Good luck!
thanks for modding /2! reverted the stuff i didnt mention +fixing some missing hitsounds
i think thats the end of discussion since UC was happy as long as the 4x reverses were added back in
Lasse
cute multirepeats
Nao Tomori
02:09:603 (1,2) - ctrl g mkes more sense mo

02:54:385 (7,8) - 2 kicksliders works better

02:59:167 (6,7,8) - vs 03:00:037 (1,2,3) - why are they so different

03:10:472 (1,3) - stack mod

03:16:559 (3,1) - yea so fro these i felt they were weird cuz u kinda ignore slider leniency, a small jump would make it a bit better cuz atm 1 feels underspaced
01:39:168 (3,1) -
etc

03:31:341 (1) - divide this up?

03:44:820 (4) - wasnt this a triple with a hold slider into the next thing? works better imo
Topic Starter
kwk

Naotoshi wrote:

02:09:603 (1,2) - ctrl g mkes more sense mo :arrow: i think current is fine since its consistent with like 02:14:820 (1) - 02:16:559 (1) - etc

02:54:385 (7,8) - 2 kicksliders works better :arrow: sure i guess

02:59:167 (6,7,8) - vs 03:00:037 (1,2,3) - why are they so different :arrow: cause violin

03:10:472 (1,3) - stack mod :arrow: lowered stack leniency a tick

03:16:559 (3,1) - yea so fro these i felt they were weird cuz u kinda ignore slider leniency, a small jump would make it a bit better cuz atm 1 feels underspaced
01:39:168 (3,1) -
etc :arrow: made it 1.2x instead of 1.0x

03:31:341 (1) - divide this up? :arrow: the idea was to give players time to adjust/regrip since theres no breaks in the entire map so it wasnt split

03:44:820 (4) - wasnt this a triple with a hold slider into the next thing? works better imo :arrow: uhh i think before it was just a note,i think its fine as it is with less clicks
Nao Tomori
13 days in qualified haHAA
DeletedUser_423548
Congrats :)
UndeadCapulet
grats~
Kyouren
My boyfriend show me this song! :3
Congratulations! <3
Topic Starter
kwk
thanks all!