forum

Make Approach Rate function for user definable option

posted
Total Posts

Do you support user-definable AR in ranked play?

Yes
50.79%
Yes, with a negative multiplier
21.16%
No
28.04%
Total votes: 189
Polling ended
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,757
show more
Soaprman
Yeah, you're right, that post of mine was kind of bad. I still agree with this feature request though.
Metro
I don't like this idea at all but answering TKiller:

Players should only be able to lower AR and if they do there should be a negative score multiplier. This is the only way not to kill game balance.

But there's another thing that should be taken into consideration:

If players start lowering song's AR then they won't get better. Playing high bpm / high AR maps is part of what makes you improve in this game.

That said, I completely disagree with this idea.
TheVileOne
Man like 2 people have realized the obvious. If it makes it easier for you, than it is giving you an unfair advantage over other players... This idea should be voided just for that purpose.

Just because you can play AR 10 doesn't mean most of Osu can/should. And if playing a map with AR 10 gives you an advantage than that's unfair since you can't expect everyone to play a map in AR 10.
Metro
Yeah but Easy, Half Time and No Fail are ranked mods and they are the same as what is being suggested. I don't like that they are ranked mods. Maps should be played in their original form or harder, not easier. But that's how the game is and I doubt it'll change.
Wishy
Even while I agree with the suggestion, it'll completly break the game balance, some players are pro at reading retarded AR (aka AR lower than 7) and that gives you an advantage. I personally have a hard time doing jumps on AR 8 (find it easier with 9 or 10) and being able to increase it without getting OD 99999 and Circle Size >9000 would be an huge help. Even when I know the AR should be defined by the user instead of the mapper (except with mods), the game is currently just like this and changing it wouldn't do any good tbh.

However I agree with Metro, players should be able to lower AR by getting a negative bonus (10% per point?). Doubt anyone's gonna use it since AR 9 is pretty much easy to read for most people I know, and AR 8 is like standar nowadays so whatever.
D33d
I honestly don't see a point to this. If a map is too hard, then the player simply isn't good enough for it. If a map is approved and played for being good enough on its own merits, then why would the player need to alter it? Doing so would disrupt the flow of a map. For one, slow approach rates in high difficulties would make the whole experience feel disjointed.
Hamuko
Imo if this was implemented, it would break the flow of maps.
Don't know how to explain. It just would.
Matty
Having read through most of the thread . . . nah. I mean, an uncomfortable approach rate can be annoying, but it can be easily countered. If it's too slow you just have to keep playing the map until you memorise the timing. If it's too fast, as you keep playing you'll adjust to the high rate anyway, and get a vague idea of where the notes are, so you can prepare yourself better. In addition, the feature would greatly decrease the difficulty of hard time, and probably skew the rankings quite horribly as a result.
Ussuru
Ughh, just no. Think about it, all games have a certain skill level. I can't pass AR 11, but I can play AR 10. Two months ago I couldn't even touch AR 9, same goes for other things like streams, jumps, stamina, nervousness and my cat which jumps on me when I am playing. Just get better that's all.
mm201

Matty wrote:

If it's too slow you just have to keep playing the map until you memorise the timing.
Perfect spacing is a must with slow AR. If the map is confusing, the BAT should tell the mapper to raise the AR.
DelMann2
Such a nonsense.

It alone defines a part of difficulty of song, not to even mention, that it makes a song visual appearence too.

w
t
f

Do you seriously want this to be user-defined?

NO!
Shael_old
it would be nice, because some people are not used to lower ar than 9

all other rhythm games have custom approach rate too, since it's preference
awp
Why are we still dawdling around in the past/present when we can escalate this to the future. No more features asking to enable/disable kiai time, adjust background darkness, define your own circle size/approach rate

Let's just let players make/customize their own maps. That way EVERYBODY is happy. Because that's the direction we're going, here.
ziin
make easy mod customize map settings.
CXu
uhhh isn't reading different AR's just as much a skill as hitting jumps, small circles or streaming? I'd like this for an unranked mod, sure, but not as a ranked one. If the reason is to enjoy more maps and having fun, then you probably won't mind it being unranked anyway.
ziin
If it were a skill like you say we would have more ar 4- insanes, because it's clearly harder.
Ekaru

ziin wrote:

If it were a skill like you say we would have more ar 4- insanes, because it's clearly harder.
Actually, I find AR 4 easier than AR 9 simply because I am able to read it easily, and don't have to react like I have to with AR 9. In fact, I hate it when AR 9 is used on songs that aren't really really fast, because then it's just a pain.

Therefore, because it's easier, it shouldn't be used on Insanes. You're so silly. \o/
ziin

Ekaru wrote:

ziin wrote:

Actually, I find AR 4 easier than AR 9 simply because I am able to read it easily, and don't have to react like I have to with AR 9. In fact, I hate it when AR 9 is used on songs that aren't really really fast, because then it's just a pain.

Therefore, because it's easier, it shouldn't be used on Insanes. You're so silly. \o/
which is easier: AR 4 or AR 7? We have circle size 6 insanes. We don't have any approach rate 4 insanes, or at least none that I've seen.

The game isn't fun if you don't know where the next note is. If a bunch of notes are stacked/clustered in one area, you need a higher AR to be able to separate the notes. Otherwise everything becomes a CF and you end up getting lost. It's the same as having an approach rate which is too high.
maay

ziin wrote:

> cs 7 is clearly harder than cs 5
> we don't have many maps with cs 7
> we don't need skill to play cs 7
ziin
some is different than none.
maay
alright, i blame shotgun symphony

anyway, afaik we don't have ranked maps with ar 10, od 10 or drain 10. no skill needed to play any of these settings, then? yay

@Ekaru try playing some high bpm insane with ar 9 and then with ar 4 or lower
Waryas
pfff ar9 is too slow
Sander-Don

JesusYamato wrote:

pfff ar9 is too slow
Ekaru

maay wrote:

@Ekaru try playing some high bpm insane with ar 9 and then with ar 4 or lower
Tested that out right now on a couple of fast maps.

It depends on the Insane, really. Straightforward ones are easy on AR 4. More confusing ones? I could do it, but I'd have to go through the map a few times first to get the hang of it. So, let's talk about AR 6, which is actually realistic. I can read this just fine on AR 6:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/17338

And this:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/29044

I do think there should be a minimum AR rule or guideline for Insanes, though; 7+ AR is recommended, though 6 AR is OK if it's like 110 BPM or something. But like AR 6- on a fast Insane is stupid. Sure, I can do it, but AR 7+ is funner most of the time.
Waryas
140- bpm: ar8
140-210: ar9
210+: ar10

And osu would be a better place.
Ekaru

JesusYamato wrote:

Agreed. ^_^
mm201
AR depends on the mapping. Taking a high AR map and lowering it will turn it into a confusing clusterfuck. Another map could be designed for the low AR, have no overlaps, have readable spacing, and work just fine.

A 210bpm Easy with AR10 is just stupid.
Here's a better guide: Pick an AR so that there aren't more than 4 objects onscreen at once. More if you (the mapper) are really good at dealing with overlaps.

Shael wrote:

it would be nice, because some people are not used to lower ar than 9
This is a skill they should develop. inb4 extreme case shit where maps not designed for low AR get their AR changed.
taka1235
ランキングの判定時にARの違う人どうしが一括りにされるというのは公平性に欠けると思うので反対です。
ARを全体で統一してこそ公平が保たれるのだと私は思います。
AR変更をModで行うのならば話は別ですが、Noneでやる以上はこの問題は避けられません。

またMapperの立場から見て言えば、ARという難易度基準をPlayerサイドで変更できてしまうという事は
譜面を作る人の個性を出せる幅が狭まるという事に繋がると思います。

面白いアイデアなのですが、実現は困難と感じます。
kriers

CXu wrote:

uhhh isn't reading different AR's just as much a skill as hitting jumps, small circles or streaming? I'd like this for an unranked mod, sure, but not as a ranked one. If the reason is to enjoy more maps and having fun, then you probably won't mind it being unranked anyway.
Ruiz02160
:shock:
Shael_old

JesusYamato wrote:

Ar9 for 210 is better i think
knjiga

CXu wrote:

This.

Not to mention that it would completely ruin the spirit of some maps like http://osu.ppy.sh/b/24428. Speaking of fun, successfully reading slow AR (especially with weird patterns) may be equally thrilling as reading high AR.
mm201
Now you understand why honeycombs are <3~
Hanyuu
I agree with this idea and the mods easy and hardrock should only change the timing window and circle size. So maybe easy mod will be a bit more helpfull on insane difficulty maps. DT should keep the AR too then. And AR should be set at mod selection before song, so you could set it for every song for your preference.

I hope it is not too late for this feature and i hope it will be considered :P
shaNk_old
ar is a crucial part of the game... it'd kinda ruin it if you could pick it
ziin

shaNk wrote:

ar is a crucial part of the game... so crucial that the player should be able to pick the perfect setting.
knjiga

ziin wrote:

shaNk wrote:

ar is a crucial part of the game... so crucial that the player should be able to pick the perfect setting.
no

Or yes, but then no ranking. It would be really lame if you could still rank.
Shael_old
Why?

I don't see how this would destroy rankings

Just because x-person is good with ar8, doesn't have to mean y-preson needs to be good with ar8 also
ziin

knjiga wrote:

It would be really lame if you could still rank.
you can already increase AR on ctb and taiko, or rather decrease the number of notes on the screen at one time.
knjiga

Shael wrote:

Why?

I don't see how this would destroy rankings

Just because x-person is good with ar8, doesn't have to mean y-preson needs to be good with ar8 also
Just because x-person can stream 240 bpm, doesn't have to mean y-preson needs be able to stream 240 bpm also.
Just because x-person is good with rhythm, doesn't have to mean y-preson needs to be good with rhythm also.
Just because x-person has good reflexes, doesn't have to mean y-preson needs to have good reflexes also.

Unless they want to be good at the game that is.

Playing high AR (or low in some cases) requires skill, skill then shouldn't be removed from the game for basically no reason.

CTB, Taiko - How do you increase the AR there?
show more