- Yoshimaro - wrote:hi im modder c:
im new to mappingim new to modding x d, skip to the bottom of this mod before applying to read why I left a BN worthy check here lol
- There are some SB elements that aren't sized properly. Also, just double check to make sure your BG is jpg and your scrolling / foreground objects are png since they are lossless.
I'll look into this a bit more and ask around but the ranking criteria around storyboard images has been changed a bit since last year so this part is debatable: Criteria from last year and this year for comparison.
I made sure all the images without transparency are in .jpg while all the images with necessary transparency are in .png (only exception being the flares)
- normal-sliderslide.wav and soft-sliderslide.wav are not 100ms. This causes issues for some soundcards and is an unrankable issue, so replace those sliderslides with this muted sliderslide instead.
Replaced, thanks a bunch!
- normal-hitnormal.wav has a delay of over 5ms. I went ahead and cropped an acceptable version for you: https://puu.sh/vQApR/eaffe69c84.mp3
Replaced this aswell, thank you! (For some reason Audacity wanted to add an extra 100ms delay when converting it from .mp3 to .wav so I had to do it with foobar2000, hopefully it didn't mess it up too much)
- On the storyboard, maybe from 00:20:454 - 00:21:818 - there could be an effect similar to 02:31:363 - where the faded and blurry background slowly comes into focus, reaching an emphasized point on 00:21:818 - ?
Good idea, I'll try to get it done after I fix the rest c:
- By the way, 2 years ago I downloaded this map in the midst of a poco maro craze lol.
I might ask you for your poco maro maps sometime later, I could use some more
- 04:46:363 (1) - Maybe curve the end of it a bit? like:
stylistic preference, no functionality impact here c:
Done~ The straight end looked a bit wonky anyways
- 01:21:818 (1,2,3,4) - Maybe you can try something like this?
There are multiple reasons I feel this would be to the benefit of this section. One of which, is because this is actually just before the hardest part in the map:
Second, This much better emphasizes less muted beats on 01:21:818 - 01:22:500 - 01:23:181 - 01:23:863 - with distance gaps and embodies the muted bass beats with softer spacing. The patterning type I showed above would also apply to 01:23:181 (1,2,3,4) - .
Sounds good. Also makes stuff look nicer so sure! Changed the slider patterns to match your suggestion (there were slight problems with flow at first but it should be fine now...)
- 01:24:545 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2) - Hardest part in the map, you can refer to the difficulty strains snapshot I linked above. First, I want to say that I actually really really like this jump sequence, I just feel its a bit too over emphasized in contrast with the rest of the map. A few suggestions on what I think could make this better represent the music:
1. This is a build up, maybe make 01:24:545 (1,2,3,4) - less emphasized, and make 01:25:227 (1,2,3,4) - as emphasized as 01:24:545 (1,2,3,4) - currently is (I'm referring to the distances between circles when I say emphasize here)
2. This is a foreign thought to 2017 mapping and honestly I like your jump sequence better, but if you wanted to you could embody 01:24:545 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - with obtuse angles instead, something like this:
In any case, doing one or the other would work, but not doing either would still feel overdone.
This part has been pointed out once or twice before so I guess it really is "a bit" overdone Your suggestions make sense and I decided to go with 1. Reasons being: The buildup with stronger sounds like this (in my opinion) calls for a more snapping movement rather than a single wavy motion.
It's also more fun to play a jumpy pattern compared to a linear one. Following that, I nerfed and moved the jumps so the spacing now gradually increases in order with the buildup in the song. This pattern also flows much better into the stream following it compared to the previous one so that's a neat addition~
- 01:30:000 (1) - The aesthetic is a bit cramped near the end of the slider end. one thing that could help free the slider from its cramped look is to place the white anchors more towards the center of the object:
What fixing this will do is make the blankets on 01:30:511 (2,3) - more obvious and better looking, as well as you'll have an easier curve to blanket when adjusting the slider shapes of 01:30:681 (3,4) - .
Fixed, also moved the slider slightly to the right. The blanket between 01:30:000 (1,4) - could still be improved a bit so I'll work on that later
- 01:37:159 (3,4) - This is the first instance of this rhythm type being introduced. Not that this is a bad thing, but it may cause unnecessary slider end drops or even slider breaks. notice that in previous instances, the rhythm choice was to use the 01:37:414 - as a circle and give the downbeat on 01:37:500 - a clickable function. In my opinion, it makes more sense to give 01:37:500 - a clickable functionality since it's the downbeat. Anyhow, this is okay but maybe introduce this rhythm type earlier in the map?
I'm having mixed thoughts about this since, while you're right that it's usually white ticks that should be emphasized with a slider head,
there's actually a stronger kick on the blue tick 01:37:414 - that goes into the weaker sound on the downbeat so I felt like a slider fits the part better. I figured using a double instead of a 1/4 slider could work but I feel like it wouldn't give enough emphasis for the kick unless I increased the spacing in that case.
On another note, the first occurrence of this rhythm in the song happens at 00:31:875 (3,4,5) - where Hathz also emphasized the blue tick more with a 1/2 slider albeit with a different pattern and less spacing between the blue and white tick. For most of these occurences in the song, he used his variation of the pattern and I used mine, which might explain the inconsistency.
- 01:48:238 (5) - I recommend and NC
- 02:34:602 (3,1) - Fix blanket.
Fixed blanket and a weird stack I missed before
- 02:35:454 (1) - I think this element would look nicer in unison with 02:35:454 (1) - as a standard blanket, but that's purely a stylistic choice C:Can a slider blanket itself? 🤔 I'll poke you in-game about this cause I'm not sure what exactly you meant
- 03:39:545 (1,4) - Very nice overlap, good stuff.
Thanks! It wasn't easy
- 04:21:818 (1) - If you liked the slider recommendation earlier, consider applying a bit of a touch up here as well?
Fixed it (I think). I kinda suck at this blanketing business...
- 04:11:335 - The い is on this beat I think?
- 04:17:727 (1,3) - Unnecessary overlap, can easily be resolved by moving 04:16:704 (2,3,4,1) - up just a couple pixels, and maybe 04:18:409 (3,4,5) - down a couple pixels.
These two aren't my parts, I'll poke the person responsible for this
Jokes aside, I've had this map for 2 years. I don't know how much effort you've put into this after these 2 years have passed, but I seriously want you to rank this because since this maps discovery, I've regularly listened to this song outside of osu! and I've grown very fond of it, it's such an emotionally calming song. Not to mention, the SB production is amazing. Not ranking that work of art would be an injustice, honestly.
Thank you very much! I'm really glad to hear this since one of my goals was to promote songs like this with mapping. I'll try not to let all the effort go to waste~
Thanks a ton for the very detailed and helpful mod! I really appreciate it