forum

Panning hitsounds

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
azunyanthethird

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

I am supposing that you want a slider configuration that allows you to adjust the intensity of how hitsounds are panned?
That's exactly what i tried to say, thank you for this helpful summary !

SPOILER
You see a circle on the left or the right and hitsound everytimes comes from center.

This would improve the relationship between what we see and what we hear if osu client could spatialize each hitsound in function of hitobjects horizontal position, just in following first value in .osu file :

0 would be, for example, (have to be evaluated to match the angle of view) 30% left, and 512 would be 30% right, 128 would be 15% left, 256 would be center, etc.
no additionnal work for mappers (just for Peppy...), nothing to change in beatmaps.

It could be great for aiming too, because of : what you hear is where you saw it! (I think i will have to say a lot about this to justify why and how it can be "great for aiming"...)
(RIP english)
Upskirt
Osu uses stereo MP3's for a reason and that's to provide a consistent experience while playing. Also keep in mind that this feature would be wasted on a large majority of players who actually use stereo only.

You didn't actually specify much else as to how it would be implemented and I don't see how it would really work.
o x
They somewhat have this in taiko and I'm not a big fan of it. I don't think having circles and sliders come louder in other ears will even improve anything. To be clear by the time you click the object you are already moving to the next one and your eyes would not be on the same object, why would this help? I'm somewhat confused as to why you would want something like this. osu! Being a rhythm game which you listen to the song not really the hit sounds.
Topic Starter
azunyanthethird
Ok, maybe i didn't explained properly :

Osu uses stereo MP3's for a reason and that's to provide a consistent experience while playing.
I never suggested to change anything about music, just add STEREO spatialization for HITSOUNDS :

Circle on left of screen = hitsound on left ear, circle on right, hitsound on right, etc.
Vertical position isn't concerned by this, and doesn't have to be.

Also keep in mind that this feature would be wasted on a large majority of players who actually use stereo only.
I thought every players actually use stereo only Oo.
That's for this reason i think this feature can improve playing experience in osu standard mode for every player...

You didn't actually specify much else as to how it would be implemented and I don't see how it would really work.
I did, but apparently not enough or not properly.

In .osu file, you have coordonates of every hitobjects. Horizontal position is the first value, beetween 0 and 512. "Just" add a function in OSU client who pan each hitsound from left audio canal (when value is 0) to right one (when value is 512).
I'm not developper, maybe it's impossible to implement, but i don't really think so.
Topic Starter
azunyanthethird

Cawub wrote:

They somewhat have this in taiko and I'm not a big fan of it. I don't think having circles and sliders come louder in other ears will even improve anything. To be clear by the time you click the object you are already moving to the next one and your eyes would not be on the same object, why would this help? I'm somewhat confused as to why you would want something like this. osu! Being a rhythm game which you listen to the song not really the hit sounds.
I think we are not playing the same game, and i feel bad for mappers who spend hours to work on hitsounds.

Brain can evaluate distance between two objects with a perception of horizontal distance between two sounds. This is more comfortable and realistic when experience fits all of senses, and pretty unnatural when sound always comes from same place while event who produced it were located on different places.
o x
I both map and mod and this wouldn't change anything for mappers. They won't be given the option where they choose which ear the sound plays on. They would only have the tools they have now. I have never had a problem with how the hitsounds are now. I don't really think this is a popular request, Also this would hurt any players that use one one headphone. Lots of people play with one headphone.

Also please don't double post it reduces clutter, put both responses in one post.
Topic Starter
azunyanthethird
I feel bad for mappers who spend lot of time to manage hitsounds, because you wrote : "osu! Being a rhythm game which you listen to the song not really the hit sounds."
I think you misunderstood most of my sentences, this is weird Oo. Is my english so bad?

Mapping has nothing to do with what i said, this is only osu! client feature while playing.

I never said there is a "problem" with hitsounds.

This wouldn't hurt any player that use headphone, i'm one of them. You just didn't understand my purpose at all...

Last thing : there IS panning for hitsounds. (my request is so impopular lel) Try to play with music volume 0% and headphones, you will hear that hitsounds are a bit on left ear when hitobject is on left of screen, and a bit on right ear, etc.
This is just a bit not enough i think, and could have a feature to adjust how wide we want it to be.
Starrodkirby86
I am supposing that you want a slider configuration that allows you to adjust the intensity of how hitsounds are panned?

My personal thought is that adjusting it could be a neat thing, though as a player myself, I would not be using it. Hitsounds do give me feedback of getting the rhythm, and I'm rather used to having a more-or-less balanced soundbite. :P I'd like to also think that, it'd be cooler to imagine hitsounds actually having individual panning considerations to create more of an enhanced sampling or listening experience, as opposed to just area proximity. xD
Topic Starter
azunyanthethird

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

That's exactly what i tried to say, thank you for this helpful summary !