forum

Ingame Notepad (Editor)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
AxE Galaxy
Problem: It is difficult to find a hitobject in notepad because it use different timing methods. I use the "use current time" in the Timing and control points window to find the time interfal in notepad. It is also tedious as you are dealing with two programs, especialy if osu is running in fullscreen mode.

Solution: The editor has 4 tabs - compose, design, timing and setup. I'd like to add a data tab where the notepad content is displayed ingame. As a modder, it would be easy to post hit object data

Features: For now, objects that is highlighted in the compose tab should automatically be highlighted in the data tab.

Benefits: Quick and easy access to hit object declarations and gives user more control over raw data
Starrodkirby86
But what about copying the hitobjects and then pasting them into text?

When a hit-object is on your clipboard, you can paste it into your text posts, and out comes the starting time and the relevant combos. It's how modders deliver their feedback on the Pending Beatmaps forum.

You're also able to click on the time, and, if you're on the map, osu! will redirect to that location to the best it can.

Finally, you can also manually edit the coordinates of the hit-objects, if you'd like to do that, by clicking on the X/Y coordinates location up at the top right.

I feel like that's pretty satisfactory when it comes to getting the times of certain hitobjects and the like.
Topic Starter
AxE Galaxy

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

But what about copying the hitobjects and then pasting them into text?
The format is different than in notepad. eg. "00:00:080 (1) -" is not the same as "332,96,80,5,0,0:0:0:0:". This is the same object copied in two ways.

When a hit-object is on your clipboard, you can paste it into your text posts, and out comes the starting time and the relevant combos. It's how modders deliver their feedback on the Pending Beatmaps forum.
I know that. I do it a lot myself and find it very usefeul, thanks

You're also able to click on the time, and, if you're on the map, osu! will redirect to that location to the best it can.
I know :D

Finally, you can also manually edit the coordinates of the hit-objects, if you'd like to do that, by clicking on the X/Y coordinates location up at the top right.
Whoa thats new to me!

I feel like that's pretty satisfactory when it comes to getting the times of certain hitobjects and the like.
Circles are simple but sliders can be hard to describe. See my latest mod in the "hard" box https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/164060/start=75
I pasted a piece of raw data that is difficult to put it words. It is also harder for the mapper to place the data at their proper place than it should be
o x
Instead of writing out the raw data just take a screenshot. It's what everyone else has done for years now!
As for the whole notepad thing there is a request similar to it but you just leave notes on whatever part of the timeline you would like! Here!

I would be more inclined to support the thread I linked instead of the one you are suggesting as you can just use the editor in a smaller res and have the notepad open next to it, you can also take screenshots of what you mean for mods. I think there are plenty of ways around the request you are making.
Endaris
Using Ctrl+C in the Design-tab will copy the converted time.
That's faster than opening the timing tab for sure.

I think there's also a reason why the RC has something on it like "don't change anything in notepad that can be changed in the editor".
Upskirt
The osu!editor is already windowed, you could just open the necessary files in notepad++ or any other variant. I don't really see how it is necessary to have a text editor in-built in the client when there are programs created to specifically tailor the need or demand already.

The inclusion of a text editor for mapping brings unnecessary complication to the editor. If you want something to do copy-pasting of map elements which already isn't recommended then just do it in another program.

You can also just grab the timing from the bottom left of the editor or by copying a note(Starrodkirby86 already mentioned) off the timeline and removing the additional elements to have just the set of digits.

You can open notepad by clicking >File >Open .osu file in notepad - From there you can use the timing from the bottom left on the timeline to determine which note it is in notepad.