forum

Am I really THAT bad? In other words : What am I doing wrong

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rRikk
Hello everyone.

This is pretty much the first time I ever talk to the osu community outside of youtube. 12 months ago I started watching osu streams and 11 months ago I decided I will try this game out myself because I had really no understanding of it at all. Looked cool though. Since I had a good mechanical keyboard and a tablet already ( I used to draw with it) - additionally I'm a weeb - , I was like "This gonna be ezpz".. little did I know, these things don't really matter in the beginning besides the tolerance/ love for weeb songs.. That one keeps me going.
It took me about 1 month to find the right way to hold the pen and another month to find a decent mapping for my tablet (which I've made slightly smaller by now). I took me a few days until i actually beat my first map (2*) besides the tutorial.

The first time i went into a multiplayerroom, i realised i was "high" level for my rank but I told myself "It's just a matter of time. plz enjoy game." and kept playing.. and playing..
Here are my stats
I have like 7k beatmaps and when I'm playing I just play whatever appears when i press the down button (3-4.8* if it's no-mod). I mostly play ranked or training maps. I play for fun and I love setting ranking-goals (you can imagine the 5-digit goal is a tough one - just look at my graph. It's as flat as a loli). I play 5 times a week for quite a while (1-4hours). I usually play no-mod but I started loving HR very early and DT got to me after I realised how bad I am. I rarely ever FC but my ACC seems fine. I play long and short maps but long maps are more frustrating to choke - eventually I do not retry them right after i choked unless the song is stuck in my head. I have nearly 500 plays on a 3*+HDHR map because i had beaten my old HR-score and lost raw ~17 PP and I try-harded for a whole week...without SSing but I got my PP back.. Sometimes I steal someone else's top play and get my delicious B-Rank. I have to move places regularly, my hands shake a lot while playing so i have a very tight grip+foil around my pen... and i drag. I do not use offset unless I am playing HD. I use raw input, not-fully black background (I like most pictures..), an old cookiezi skin which i edited a little bit, ..pretty sure I covered every possible question but :
If you need my help to help me.. I can give you a picture of my grip and my mapping. you can ask for anything to be honest - i owe you anyway.

So yeah being lvl 95 , 246hours , 21k Playcount, still 6 Digit made me come out of my hole and ask for help : What am i doing wrong? Am i really that untalented when it comes to osu? Am I that slow or is everyone Usain Bolt? How the hell did you do it? Is there any must-do besides "play more & plz enjoy game" ?

don't hold back. I can't quit. I've been here for 11 months, being 6-digits without friends.. There is no saving me from osu. :D I'm aware that I'm not the upcoming Osu Champion eventhough "I'm well on my way". Plankton didnt gave up on the formular either eventhough he knew how ridicilous hard he tried. :!:

Thanks.
DeletedUser_7198956
You're bad? Nawwww... Look at my profile. A solid 86% accuracy compared to your 94%? You're doing fine. I just checked the number of S and A's you have. You have about 200x the number of scores xD

Just play what you want to play honestly, and you improve slowly.
Piine
Honestly, why are focusing on the negative over the positive. To be honest, you should be playing for fun rather then asking "Oh, am I slow in comparison of other players?". Rather then focusing on other players' experience in comparison of yours, you should try and continue to practice more. Even like me, in comparison of other players, I am rusty due to the fact I play on and off.
Sandy Hoey
A lot of people ask this same question and there is a reason people will tell you to play more, especially if you don't have a specific goal in mind like improving your acc or your stamina.

And to be honest, you aren't the quickest player, but you most certainly aren't the slowest either.
Xyrus_old_1
Good and bad are merely opinions. If you feel that you're bad, it's because you know you can do better. If you want to do better, figure out what it is you want to improve, then playmaps that are beyond your skill in that category until you figure out why you suck at them, then focus on doing whatever you need to do to not suck at that skill. Improvement will follow.
KupcaH
play nomod long 4* maps more
7ambda
Profile acc doesn't matter. It's inaccurate as shit.

S and A amounts don't matter. Play at your own pace.

Play count doesn't matter. It doesn't reflect anything except how much you retry.

Rank only very generally reflects skill.
Sojana
Like the others said, try set yourself a goal... that's not totaly out of your league. Work towards that and once u got it or close set another. It's like with anything else in life, if I wanna be able to play long 6-7min stream maps I need to work on fc'ing and getting good acc on shorter stream maps first and work my way up.
Personaly I think u should stick with nomod untill u are about 2-3k pp at very least. Learning more different patterns and mapping styles should benefit u more than just playing DT hard maps. One guy I play with regulary did exactly that and now he can't get any good acc on 4-5* even tho he's like 10k ranks above me and I play them "good" compared to him.

So yeah being lvl 95 , 246hours , 21k Playcount, still 6 Digit made me come out of my hole and ask for help : What am i doing wrong? Am i really that untalented when it comes to osu? Am I that slow or is everyone Usain Bolt? How the hell did you do it? Is there any must-do besides "play more & plz enjoy game" ?
Don't play for rank, play to improve. Osu might not consider you getting better acc, less misses any improvement according to PP system but certainly is showing progress, so don't get discouraged. There will be a day u just go fc a couple maps out of the blue and then there are days u can't.

tl:dr: pls enjoy game, I was about the same pp as u when I played 1year, some ppl just don't progress as fast. Play on your own pace.
Ronja
nawww. youre good<3 just keep playing everyday every minute
dont forget youre here forvere :^)
Topic Starter
rRikk
Thanks a lot everyone! Those words helped a lot and surely gave me some more motivation. I guess I'll play more +3minutes maps then. I think that would help me the most right now. :D
Upondeath
I don't think you're bad or anything. If you wanted to rank up, you could ask people for high pp maps and be done with it. I personnally believe that's not the important part. I've been playing for over a year now and I've found that what kept me going was always trying new maps. If you look at my scores, they really aren't the best. That's because I've always moved on to the next map after clearing one. I've only replayed maps over and over if I liked them, not in the goal of pp gain.
I'd say, just keep playing what you want to play and if you really want to rank up, this is the map that got me over 100k: http://store.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/221364#osu/571610
Otherwise, just have fun! I think it's more satisfying to one day randomly rank up. In the mean time, don't worry about it. I've been there and a bunch of other players too.
Spirit_Dreamer
250 hours and 106k rank? Welcome in the club.When the efforts don't pay up better stop care about the rank and just enjoy the game.It's for fun in the first place isn't it?
mulraf
i can only tell you what i did. i used to be a lot slower than you are. when i started with osu pp didn't exist and the ones with the most ranked score were at the top. so i didn't care about the difficulty and just played whatever. i had like 30k plays and #70.000 when i came back after pp were introduced (was about #5k at one time before). and looking at how the competition is it probably would be #150.000 by now. after about 2 years of playing.
now it's up to your own preference: i actually have fun being competetive and gaining ranks. that's proabbly why i concentrate on pp and rank and still tell you that's something fine to do. if you have fun by being competetive than so be it. what i did was first of all i used tillerino. if you don't know: there's a bot named tillerino. you add him to your friends. you write him "!recommend" and then it automatically recommends you a map at your skill level that is worth lots of pp. it kinda worked wonders. after i kinda got what maps i need to play i started flying on my own. i still am addicted and enjoying this game. playing for ranks won't change that. just enjoying it without caring about the ranks wouldn't change it either, that's what makes this game as awesome as it is :3
winber1
stop sucking dick
Mints
Just play unranked funny and interesting maps and rank sometimes, the pp system is broken anyw so if you really want rank just play the farm maps. If not, just enjoy game ~
DonTouchMe
When I observed your top pp plays, your highest one is a 4.1 star 97% accuracy FC. Let me restore your self-esteem by telling you that that is very good, because a lot in the osu! playerbase actually can't achieve that.

If you want to improve though, try my method.

For a while, keep playing maps in a star rating range that you can consistently FC with accuracy above 98% in around 5 tries.
Then, slowly but surely, increase the star rating.

For you at your rank right now, keep playing stuff at around 3.50 star and strive to get high accuracy on them. If you get good FCs on them, you will DEFINITELY rise up in rank, gain pp and raise your average accuracy.

Once you start noticing that you're getting diminishing gains, up the star rating a little bit, by say 0.25 or so.

Rinse, repeat, and you'll notice your improvement ^^

Best of luck!
KupcaH

DonTouchMe wrote:

When I observed your top pp plays, your highest one is a 4.1 star 97% accuracy FC. Let me restore your self-esteem by telling you that that is very good, because a lot in the osu! playerbase actually can't achieve that.
Just because they don't play enough. :^)
2xExp
I like what everyone said here in regards to your progress. It's nothing to fret about because people who get better quickly are the loudest ones.

Challenge yourself from time to time. Play and stick to consistently trying for higher acc on nomods, and go try some harder maps that you know you can't fc towards the end of your session. Perhaps try to also play higher bpm maps so that you can improve on tapping. At some point you'll be surprised by how far you made it when you realize that 'hard map' is now playable. It's not rinse-and-repeat kind of tactic...you play to have fun right? ;)
Topic Starter
rRikk
Once again thanks a lot everyone. Yeah I guess the ones who get better quickly are the loudest but it felt like there were so many...

Anyway in the last 2 days i got 2 60pp and a few 50pp scores and that boosted my self-esteem pretty much.. eventhough they were short maps. I took your advices to heart and tried playing a lot more 3-5minutes maps. I can't FC the 4-4.5* ones yet but atleast i get around 92% acc and a 400+ combo. These long maps are way better to "warm-up" or train for me. Most of my top-plays aren't even FCs and it feels like i don't choke as much as i usually do thanks to the long maps.

For a few weeks I'm mostly playing 4*-4.5*. I guess I'll go back to some 3,5* and improve my accuarcy and/or fix the combo.

Oh and of course, i've got myself some more unranked maps since i usually just download all the newest ranked and loved ones... except those 6*+ only maps.

Thanks again! :)
Ronja
plz enjoy game
Llahmah 2
Play long maps
Get consistency (you already have more experience than me so you probably are consistent)
FC my dood, that's where the pp's at. I looked at your profile and if you get some more 70+ plays your in the under 100k club for sure.