forum

[Archived] New sporadic frame dips and stuttering

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Chalupa
As this is a new install, I don't have much installed outside of chrome, my video driver and Osu. That said, I'm not seeing many services that I can stop, I am on 64 bit windows 10 if that helps. My wallpaper is also static. I am not seeing that text file in my install folder, and the frame drops are remaining.

My CPU utilization at it's highest point also only reached 15% so I don't know how much impact a background process may be having. I don't see a CPU hike to correlate with the performance dips.
shiyuri
<deleted>
Topic Starter
Chalupa
Reduce dropped frames has been attempted and I still have the same issues. I just reinstalled my pen display drivers and am still having the problem. Could this be tied to a video driver maybe?
joannaishot
It seems likely that it is due to Nvidia drivers. I'm only saying this because I have the same problem, it happens for other games too. I thought it was my antivirus (AVG) but it still happens regardless of having antivirus installed or not. The only thing we have in common is an Nvidia card. Must be their drivers?
Upskirt
Show your DXDiag and the processes in Task Manager.

Have you overclocked your GPU?

Active protection with anti-virus can be pretty dodgy and causes performance issues. What anti-virus do you have?

Venzire wrote:

Try this before beginning the next few steps.

Open your game directory and open the osu! config under your username and locate "Renderer" and test switching between "opengl" and "d3d". Make sure when you save it that osu! is not open and that the config is not set to read-only in the properties.

If that does not work then try to run the game in compatibility mode and see if that actually helps at all.

I've a feeling something else is causing it though and you very may well have to reinstall your graphics drivers with DDU.

Try these next.

Perhaps there is something open that is hogging resources, check if there is anything that seems to behaving unusually or irregular in Task Manager.

Can you let GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner run while playing osu!, and check if there is any irregular performance hiccups so I can isolate the issue.

You play on a multi monitor setup, this could be a potential cause in very niche cases.

If you have osu! installed within app data you could try moving it to another location on the drive or to another drive entirely.

Additionally you can also monitor the games render pipeline in the cutting edge build by pressing CTRL+F11 which I can also use to determine the issue.

Give me the performance.log in your osu directory too, please. Only after your game has "stuttered".
Topic Starter
Chalupa
My CPU is underclocked actually, and I have no additional antivirus installed.I do believe this may be tied to some combination of windows anniversary update and the nvidia drivers interacting poorly. I have discovered that if I disconnect my top most monitor (a 4K display at 60HZ) that all performance issues disappear. This was not previously an issue, leading me to believe that drivers must be the culprit as again, this is a clean windows instillation, and this issue did not previously exist. I do not know if there is anything I can do other than wait for Nvidia/Microsoft to sort this out.
Upskirt

Chalupa wrote:

My CPU is underclocked actually, and I have no additional antivirus installed.I do believe this may be tied to some combination of windows anniversary update and the nvidia drivers interacting poorly. I have discovered that if I disconnect my top most monitor (a 4K display at 60HZ) that all performance issues disappear. This was not previously an issue, leading me to believe that drivers must be the culprit as again, this is a clean windows instillation, and this issue did not previously exist. I do not know if there is anything I can do other than wait for Nvidia/Microsoft to sort this out.
Change this setting in your control panel to "Single Display performance mode". I believe you can do this at a program specific level so you can do it for the osu!.exe and it should work. Click the image to enlarge it.

Next time you have an issue please provide your DXDiag, if I knew you had a multi-monitor setup I would have suggested this earlier.

I do believe that your graphics drivers shouldn't be a real issue and that it's more the lack of configuration with your system.
Topic Starter
Chalupa
Just applied this setting and plugged the display back in, and then frame drops are back. Here is a screen of my task manager. My DxDiag is in the link below http://pastebin.com/bCakibUV
Upskirt
Unplug your other monitor and try it... Also try plugging it in and setting max pre-rendered frames ahead to 1.

Do you play osu! in fullscreen?

I'd like to note that your CPU is going to horrifically bottleneck your GPU. The current FX CPUs are not very powerful with single-threaded workloads especially when paired with a video card such as the 1070.

Are you running SLI or multi-GPU?

Try actually closing background programs that you don't need when you play osu! too. You don't really need Chrome open when you play.

Why would you bother underclocking your CPU or GPU? That gimps performance. The hardware has already been evaluated to run at stock settings and it most likely can go beyond.
Topic Starter
Chalupa
I have a 4 display set up. It seems that removing any one display is a temporary solution for this issue, but this was not previously an issue and of course is less than ideal. I normally play osu in full screen but at a reduced resolution in order to lessen the onscreen space my hand has to travel. The issue persists in full screen and windowed.

I am not too concerned about bottle-necking as most of the games I consume are not particularly demanding, and I am perfectly happy running them at 1440P. I was able to get the 1070 particularity cheap. That being said, considering that I can run Osu without hitches on an atom based netbook, I dont think my CPU should be a cause for concern in this use case.
Upskirt
Answer all the questions I asked in the post so I can help.

Is the display you play osu! on the main display in Windows? And ss the 4k monitor actually running at 60hz when you use it?

Is your full work space clear when you play osu ?

It was a general statement when I said the CPU when paired with that GPU can and will bottleneck.

Try creating a custom resolution for one of your monitors and running it at 59hz. It's an odd buck in the Nvidia drivers that cause stuttering and hasn't been fixed yet to my knowledge. Are all your monitors the same model?

Nvidia Control Panel > Adjust Resolution. Then create a custom resolution and keep the native size size. Just change the refresh rate to 59Hz.
Click OK and it will test it, then you need to apply it again afterwards.
Topic Starter
Chalupa
Yes, the display is set as my primary display.

I am not running in sli. This is a single GPU set up.

Generally, no, but when testing for this issue it is.

Not all of my displays are the same model. Three of them are 1920*1080 while the other is native 3840 * 2160. I am only able to adjust the refresh rate on that display it seems, but I will try that and edit this post with the results.
Upskirt
Check my previous post since I've edited it.

Also, you should be able to edit the refresh rate with a custom resolution per each display.

Doesn't matter which monitor it is as long as it's one of the 1080p panels and you change one of them to 59hz.
Topic Starter
Chalupa
Okay. I set the refresh rate to 59 on my primary display and plugged all displays back into the system. The issue immediately returns.
Upskirt
Are you playing on the 4k monitor or the 1080p?

Try to play on either of them and see if it happens.

Try to unplug all your displays and plug them in one by one and test each time. Might be up to a certain amount of displays that the issue occurs.
Topic Starter
Chalupa
I play on a 1080p screen as it is a pen display. the issue remains on all displays regardless of resolution, or if in windowed/full-screen.
Upskirt

Chalupa wrote:

I play on a 1080p screen as it is a pen display. the issue remains on all displays regardless of resolution, or if in windowed/full-screen.
My previous post included and try to play on the 4K screen and see if it occurs.

Do you run the latest Nvidia drivers?
Topic Starter
Chalupa
Yes. I mentioned that the issue remain on all screens. This includes the 4k display.
Upskirt

Chalupa wrote:

Yes. I mentioned that the issue remain on all screens. This includes the 4k display.
Give the multi-display performance mode a go too.
Topic Starter
Chalupa
Re-enabled multi display performance mode both globally and within Osu. No go.
Upskirt
I'll look into it more.

Do you have another graphics card that you can use for the other displays?

Are you running the latest drivers? I'd assume so if you have a 1070.
Topic Starter
Chalupa
Not anymore unfortunately. I recently moved to a new area and sold many of my things. I previously have used an HD 7770, a 960, and a 980. I have not had any performance issues in osu with them.

According to geforce experience as of right now I am up to date.
Upskirt

Chalupa wrote:

Not anymore unfortunately. I recently moved to a new area and sold many of my things. I previously have used an HD 7770, a 960, and a 980. I have not had any performance issues in osu with them.

According to geforce experience as of right now I am up to date.
When you installed the drivers did you do so with all your monitors on?
Topic Starter
Chalupa
Yes I did. All monitors were installed and on as well during the initial windows install if that is relevant.

Thank you again for taking the time to research my issue.
Upskirt
Give "Win key + P and select extend" a go if you haven't already.

Did you try a clean install of your graphics drivers using DDU?

You have tried with everything closed right? Was anything displayed on one of the monitors when you tried unplugging that single display?
Topic Starter
Chalupa
Yeah, it's been on extended the entire time.

I did most recently do the driver update using the clean install update but I did not use DDU as this was a new windows instillation. Can't hurt to try.
Upskirt

Chalupa wrote:

Yeah, it's been on extended the entire time.

I did most recently do the driver update using the clean install update but I did not use DDU as this was a new windows instillation. Can't hurt to try.
Uninstall then use DDU, it will prompt to run safe mode and just run the Nvidia option.

Make sure all Nvidia related software is uninstalled.

I wonder if the issue is the pairing with DVI 1X and 3x HDMI...