forum

[Archived] Changing skin colors? (mania)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mulisk
Problem Details:

So I'm learning 7k in mania and I've been wanting to change the colors for some of the keys so that I can distinguish the keys that are next to each other.

I thought this was a matter of changing the color of the actual photo that the skin uses (I use the doomsday skin which is just the default skin without the divider bars in mania). But I recall back when I was making my own personal skin by mixing others together that it seems to be something different when I ended making a skin that had the hit circle from doomsdays skin and the colors from happysticks skin.

Thanks to anyone who helps =)

osu! version: 20161101.2 (latest)
o x
Try reading the Mania Skinning Wiki it'll have everything you need there! Usually the wiki has most of what you need to know so looking around on it would mostly answer your question ^^
Kao
Hello, does this answer your question from this thread?
t/518332
Demios wrote:
You guys never skinned? Did you?

took few seconds and only 1 skin, looks like crap but with some modifications and time it will look much better, just play around a bit with the values

it's in RGBA, R = Red, G = Green, B = Blue, A = Alpha/Transparency, each value can be from 0 to 255

this code belongs to the skin.ini of the skin what can be found it the skin folder

[Mania]
Keys: 4
Colour1: 0,0,0,240
Colour2: 0,0,0,240
Colour3: 0,0,255,240
Colour4: 0,255,0,240

[Mania]
Keys: 7
Colour1: 0,0,0,240
Colour2: 0,0,0,240
Colour3: 0,255,0,240
Colour4: 0,0,255,240
Colour5: 0,0,0,240
Colour6: 0,0,0,240
Colour7: 0,0,0,240
Topic Starter
mulisk
Sorry, I've had to edit this post multiple times.

What does it mean by "beatmap skinnable" on the mania skinning forum?

(I'm constantly editing this part as I go) As for the hexadecimal color thing; I've been fiddling with the numbers but it's changing the background of the keys, not the actual keys themselves.
Deimos
the color of the keys are from the skin elements itself, so if you want to change its color you have to edit the skin elements with a graphic editor like GIMP2 or Paint.NET

and Beatmap Skinnable simply means that a mapper can use custom skin elements for his map instead of using the default skin elements
Topic Starter
mulisk
Thanks! I've been editing the skin a bit to my liking but I have another question:;

When I edit the body of the hold notes, I can't seem to adjust the width. It's always the same length of the normal notes when I want them to be slightly thinner. I tried putting white gaps next to the notes hoping that the game would just automatically eliminate those parts and make it thinner but it just adds the white gap to the skin.

Additionally; is it possible to change the color of key #2 in 7k? I'd prefer it if the keys on the opposite side of the middle key weren't the same color as the outer most ones.

Thanks!
Deimos

GigaGamerXP wrote:

Thanks! I've been editing the skin a bit to my liking but I have another question:;

When I edit the body of the hold notes, I can't seem to adjust the width. It's always the same length of the normal notes when I want them to be slightly thinner. I tried putting white gaps next to the notes hoping that the game would just automatically eliminate those parts and make it thinner but it just adds the white gap to the skin.
the body of hold notes like this?

I just edited the specific skin elements by changing the width of the image itself without changing the width of the canvas size

before

after

GigaGamerXP wrote:

Additionally; is it possible to change the color of key #2 in 7k? I'd prefer it if the keys on the opposite side of the middle key weren't the same color as the outer most ones.

Thanks!
if you want to use a different skin element for a specific column, you also need to edit KeyImage# and KeyImage#D (# needs to be replaced by a number, the first column starts with 0 and on right side stands the name of skin element without its extension/file format) in the skin.ini like

[Mania]
Keys: 4
KeyImage0: red-key
KeyImage0D: red-key-pressed
KeyImage1: green-key
KeyImage1D: green-key-pressed
KeyImage2: green-key
KeyImage2D: green-key-pressed
KeyImage3: red-key
KeyImage3D: red-key-pressed

[Mania]
Keys: 7
KeyImage0: red-key
KeyImage0D: red-key-pressed
KeyImage1: green-key
KeyImage1D: green-key-pressed
KeyImage2: blue-key
KeyImage2D: blue-key-pressed
KeyImage3: yellow-key
KeyImage3D: yellow-key-pressed
KeyImage4: blue-key
KeyImage4D: blue-key-pressed
KeyImage5: green-key
KeyImage5D: green-key-pressed
KeyImage6: red-key
KeyImage6D: red-key-pressed
Topic Starter
mulisk
For the hold keys, I've been doing that same thing except instead of having the empty space as the grey squares that the game ignores when playing, it's just white spaces that the game still recognizes and adds while im playing.