forum

Plateau at ~2,800pp

posted
Total Posts
show more
rekhichem
forget about hr and dt , if you want to start playing a mod try hd maybe but dt and hr are a bit too early to even think about , it will harm you more than anything , focus on getting better at no mod ( or hd) , try again don't give up you will progress eventually ^^ GLHF
Micha ohne el
What helped for me was doing a few things, that may sound a bit weird but where actually very helpful
I was 1. trying out a different keyboard (that could just have helped because my previous one was total bullshit...)
2. I tried to find maps, that I could barely pass, but still didn't feel bad to play, because they are to hard! Those maps should just be fun to play, although they are actually way to hard to FC, that way you really feel great for getting an A.
3. I changed my tablet area. I have a pretty weird play style in general, but this should still apply to anyone i guess... After changing it I really had to focus solely on precision and jumping, so in the long terms that helped me improve much!
(don't forget to save your old area somewhere!)

What helped for me was doing a few things, that may sound a bit weird but where actually very helpful
I was 1. trying out a different keyboard (that could just have helped because my previous one was total bullshit...)
2. I tried to find maps, that I could barely pass, but still didn't feel bad to play, because they are to hard! Those maps should just be fun to play, although they are actually way to hard to FC, that way you really feel great for getting an A.
3. I changed my tablet area. I have a pretty weird play style in general, but this should still apply to anyone i guess... After changing it I really had to focus solely on precision and jumping, so in the long terms that helped me improve much!

F1r3tar wrote:

If you're trying to improve for the sake of farming again, you'll always be out of luck.

yup.
Topic Starter
DegPixel

SALZKARTOFFEEEL wrote:

Last time I plateaued around 1,000pp ago, I switched to pen mode, adjusted my tablet area to make it larger so that I could fine aim better, got a mechanical keypad, and focused solely on accuracy.

Unfortunately at that stage, accuracy was the only thing I had to worry about. 1,000pp later, speed is an issue, OD is an issue again, I have to worry about cross-screen jumps which although jumps are my forte I'm not quite used to yet, I've gotten better at streams but am not consistent enough to never mess up, so for stream heavy maps I'm likely to miss at least once... etc.
KupcaH
Fuck pp, play more.
I Give Up

KupcaH wrote:

play more
Topic Starter
DegPixel

KupcaH wrote:

Fuck pp, play more.

KukiMonster wrote:

KupcaH wrote:

play more
I even mentioned in the original post that I'd continue to play more. Problem is I'm not really at a point where I want to be so it's not nearly as fun as it could potentially be. Thus why I'm trying to optimize my practice to get better quicker.

While you're not wrong, it's not constructive and I tell it to myself at least 10 times daily.
Sandy Hoey
You have to understand that you may never get to where you want to be, even with all the practice in the world. The same goes with everything in life. They keep telling you to "play more" because you should play to enjoy the game and not worry about all this other stuff. If you are no longer having fun, just don't play. It is that simple.

I stopped playing as much recently because it wasn't as satisfying as it used to be, but i stick around the forums just because it's fun.
7ambda
If G&R can't help you (like it usually can't), take advice from Michael Jordan.

N0thingSpecial
Topic Starter
DegPixel
@N0thingSpecial - That was actually a constructive and informative video. Last time I plateau'ed I was trying all sorts of random things to break out of it, so that's pretty well-informed.
Sandy Hoey

DegPixel wrote:

@N0thingSpecial - That was actually a constructive and informative video. Last time I plateau'ed I was trying all sorts of random things to break out of it, so that's pretty well-informed.
It was a three minute video to tell you to take breaks...
Sayorie

DegPixel wrote:

While you're not wrong, it's not constructive and I tell it to myself at least 10 times daily.
Don't just tell it to yourself. You have to do it. Play more. It might take months or years.
kurodahatsuharu
I hit a wall once in a while, i just stop playing and started again when i want to. Then i start improving. Take a rest, think about something else until you feel good and want to play, it's better than forcing yourself to improve.
Xyrus_old_1

DegPixel wrote:

F1r3tar wrote:

If you're trying to improve for the sake of farming again, you'll always be out of luck.
Yeah I should clarify that. I don't want to improve for the sake of farming again, I want to improve to the point where I can successfully play the maps that I want to play, but I see performance points as a general indicator of skill, and one that I'm simply using as a metric to show lack of improvement in this thread.
That's your problem, stop looking at your PP and look at the things you can and can't do as an indicator of skill.

Look at the maps you want to play, figure out where you're lacking, e.g. can't make the jumps (reliably enough), can't read the patterns (for example overlapping triangle jumps), can't tap fast enough, keep coming in early, etc. then figure out how far you can go with those areas, e.g. can make smaller versions of those jumps reliably, can read overlapping doubles, can stream 200bpm for 10 seconds, etc. Now push yourself further.

If you're lacking in multiple areas, just pick one at random and improve that by spamming maps that challenge you in that area, then move onto another one once you can do things you couldn't before.
Edgar_Figaro
As far as standard goes I've been stuck at the same point but for an extra 10000 play count. Despite all the effort I wasn't getting better and I knew it. I tired taking breaks, practicing certain techniques, playing things I could barely pass, ect but at the end of the day I just wasn't getting better. Sadly that's just the way things go that we all will at some point hit a wall where you can't pass due to a limitation be it either physical or mental.

I found my problem was my aim & reflexes (guess my age is starting to catch up to me). What I found I was good at was rhythmic sense and streaming. So I instead decided to give up on standard. 30K play count at 30K rank let me know that I just didn't have the right skillsets or capacity to learn the skills standard required. I still loved this game though and didn't want to give it up so I weighed my strengths and weaknesses....and switched to Taiko. I've been having a lot more success playing that game mode then I ever did with standard & it allows me to continue playing this game that I love.

I still get haggled by my friends telling me that I just need to go back to standard and "play more" if I want to improve again. But when they were all much better than me with half the play count I knew better. As much as people like to deny it, you either have it or you don't & I clearly didn't have it. It's a hard thing to hear & I hate having to face it myself but I am much happier now playing a game mode I feel like I can improve at instead of one I am bad at.
dung eater
try to learn things that you have problems with

smaller cs, longer streams, spaced streams or short fast jumps, following sliders properly, hard to tap maps (even streams, odd streams, sliders, these mixed) are all things you could focus on.
Sandy Hoey

jaaakb wrote:

try to learn things that you have problems with

smaller cs, longer streams, spaced streams or short fast jumps, following sliders properly, hard to tap maps (even streams, odd streams, sliders, these mixed) are all things you could focus on.
But don't take on too much at once. Go one at a time and be okay with failing a map.
Topic Starter
DegPixel

Sandy Hoey wrote:

It was a three minute video to tell you to take breaks...
Yes and no. It tells you to take breaks from your current mindset. So far I've been aiming to FC maps with good accuracy because honestly that's the only thing that's "good". The thought process was that if that was the only thing that mattered, it should be my only goal, but I've been consistently failing to hold combos on a variety of songs sometimes far below the average star value that I can FC, so it's clear that I'm lacking in some fundamental fields.

Xyrus wrote:

Look at the maps you want to play, figure out where you're lacking, e.g. can't make the jumps (reliably enough), can't read the patterns (for example overlapping triangle jumps), can't tap fast enough, keep coming in early, etc. then figure out how far you can go with those areas, e.g. can make smaller versions of those jumps reliably, can read overlapping doubles, can stream 200bpm for 10 seconds, etc. Now push yourself further.
Solid advice and I get what you're saying, but here are some of the maps that I want to play, and I'm subpar in almost every conceivable category - they're just too hard for me, currently. Of the maps I currently play, there are a few that I feel comfortable with that are fun to play, but I still can't play. Ikenai Borderline is very much the same all throughout, but at some point along the map I always choke and miss a note. That's after many plays. The same thing on Highscore on Another, a 4.7* that I'm ashamed I haven't been able to FC as it's one of my most played maps.

Sandy Hoey wrote:

But don't take on too much at once. Go one at a time and be okay with failing a map.
That's fair. I'd say the thing I'm lacking most currently is speed, as streams, AR10, and high BPM are almost always the things that mess me up. I'm horrible at alternate tapping. If I decided to focus on that, for example, how does one increase their tapping speed short of just getting enough RSI's that you don't feel pain anymore?
Seere_old_1
Play lots of technical maps, play nomod, do things completely out of your comfort zone :)

fun > skill > pp (imo)

+I recommend technical maps because they can be hard to understand. Lots of PP/overmapped beatmaps tend to lack certain mechanics and consist of only jumps with the occasional sliders. Maybe the practice that can help you make a breakthrough is something genuinely more difficult for you.

+As for streams and high BPM, you have to loosen up your fingers. Don't smash down on the keyboard when you want to stream otherwise permanent injury and less stamina are things you're going to face. You can also read Korilak's userpage.
Kunino Sagiri

DegPixel wrote:

but here are some of the maps
Hollow Wings, Fort, and SapphireGhost maps are something you shouldn't focus on especially the HW one. How about looking for more maps that you want to play? The Demetori maps in general usually have simple patterns even if their difficulty can be above your comfort zone. happy30, Golden Wolf, sjoy, jonathanflj etc. I suggest trying to play all of their Demetori maps regardless of the date their beatmaps were made.
Xyrus_old_1

DegPixel wrote:

Of the maps I currently play, there are a few that I feel comfortable with that are fun to play, but I still can't play. Ikenai Borderline is very much the same all throughout, but at some point along the map I always choke and miss a note. That's after many plays.
It's not the same throughout, there are a lot of triangle jumps, but there are parts where the difficulty spikes. Is there any particular point where you miss more often than the rest of the map?