forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
haunte
Yukitemi
Does anyone know the best way to accurately preview the note color? Coz in the game, a color I picked is brighter or darker. I understand, it depends on background and opacity, but that's why I struggle with that. The question is "what the best way?" but that's what I tried.

I used "overlay color"(orwhateveritcalled) on hitcirle.png layer in photoshop and it was quite accurate, but still... maybe I need to use different "overlay mode" or it's not even smartest way to do what I want? :C
b3s1r

Yuki Desu wrote:

Does anyone know the best way to accurately preview the note color? Coz in the game, a color I picked is brighter or darker. I understand, it depends on background and opacity, but that's why I struggle with that. The question is "what the best way?" but that's what I tried.

I used "overlay color"(orwhateveritcalled) on hitcirle.png layer in photoshop and it was quite accurate, but still... maybe I need to use different "overlay mode" or it's not even smartest way to do what I want? :C
If you want to change the color of hitcircle.png, you don't want to do that in photoshop.
Becaue the colour of the hitcircle. png changes (or at least can change) with every new combo, you change the colour in the skin.ini, with rgb code.

Syntax:

[Colours]
Combo1: 0,0,255
Combo3: 255,0,0

That would be red/blue hitcircles.
Yukitemi

b3s1r wrote:

If you want to change the color of hitcircle.png, you don't want to do that in photoshop.
Becaue the colour of the hitcircle. png changes (or at least can change) with every new combo, you change the colour in the skin.ini, with rgb code.

You didn't get what I meant. I need to preview how the note will look like, so I can pick the color. And only then put the color(RGB numbers) in .ini file.

Note: I actually already did my colors as I wanted them to be. By method "try this one and see what happened" which gave me cancer. And I think it's awkward way to do that.
AnimeFreak0710
playfield.png isn't working anymore :(
Yaminoma

Yuki Desu wrote:

b3s1r wrote:

You didn't get what I meant. I need to preview how the note will look like, so I can pick the color. And only then put the color(RGB numbers) in .ini file.

Note: I actually already did my colors as I wanted them to be. By method "try this one and see what happened" which gave me cancer. And I think it's awkward way to do that.
i think that this is what youre looking for http://www.colorpicker.com ??
or if u rly wanna preview the note use photoshop.
with ps u could change saturation/hue of note till ur liking and then pick that color.
KiruShinigami
Please, anyone could help me? I'm making a CTB Skin and the thing is, when I open and test the skin and it says it couldn't read the skin.ini but I don't have a skin.ini for CTB and I don't know how to make one, Anyone help me please.
Yukitemi

KiruShinigami wrote:

Please, anyone could help me? I'm making a CTB Skin and the thing is, when I open and test the skin and it says it couldn't read the skin.ini but I don't have a skin.ini for CTB and I don't know how to make one, Anyone help me please.
For example you can create a text file and rename it to "skin.ini" - done.
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Skin.ini - you can read there what you need. I believe skin name, author name and version is a must, other settings will be by default if you not going to set them.

-TheHateD- wrote:

with ps u could change saturation/hue of note till ur liking and then pick that color.
nah, it's not what I need. Thx for reply, but I figured out solution to my question.
wokalek
Hey!
I have a question.
What is real size of the hit circle? I mean, right in the game.
On screenshoot you can see (meter needle) size of the standard circle from osu! template.
Behind is my circle from my skin.
So, it's actually help to me figure out how hit on circle works... I need set 254x254 size of circle in my skin circle? Or I can set 246x246, like as it is now?

Haskorion
The actual size of the circle is 236x236.
The dimension size of 256x256 is because of the approachcircle which is 252x252 with 2 pixel extra on each side to not touch the borders of the canvas (which can result in an ugly looking imperfect circle sometimes).
wokalek

Haskorion wrote:

The actual size of the circle is 236x236.
The dimension size of 256x256 is because of the approachcircle which is 252x252 with 2 pixel extra on each side to not touch the borders of the canvas (which can result in an ugly looking imperfect circle sometimes).
So, I have to do the same size of circles and approachcircle as in template?

And do not stray from those dimensions?
Haskorion
Yes, anything larger or smaller obscures the actual hitbox of 236x236 (meaning taking away information; smaller gives a sense of false information in clicking on transparent area where the hitbox actually is; larger gives a sense of missing even when there is the circle, but hitbox is actually smaller).
wokalek

Haskorion wrote:

Yes, anything larger or smaller obscures the actual hitbox of 236x236 (meaning taking away information; smaller gives a sense of false information in clicking on transparent area where the hitbox actually is; larger gives a sense of missing even when there is the circle).
Thank you! A long time was interested this issue.
Going to fix ...
wokalek
Ah, what about approachcircle? Same size like hit sircles, 236x236?
Haskorion
Definitely larger. The inner part should fit the hitcircle where as the outer part has no real limit (but I would suggest to use 252x252 since I feel more comfortable with regular size). I find thicker ones to be very distracting.
Yaminoma

Yuki Desu wrote:

-TheHateD- wrote:

nah, it's not what I need. Thx for reply, but I figured out solution to my question.
Im happy that you could solve it.
Btw, would you share what youve done?
Yukitemi

-TheHateD- wrote:

Im happy that you could solve it.
Btw, would you share what youve done?
Well, I kinda recreate a play field in photoshop. Black background, hicircle and overlaycircle layers, then I used "overlay color" with 'multiplication" mode on hitcirle.png layer(since this the one which is changing) and there I picked the color. I didn't !apply overlay mode on hitcircle.png, I just preview it and picked the color then write it in skin.ini. That result was close enough. So it kinda neat to preview how it gonna look in game without testing it in the actual game.

PS My photoshop is not in english sooo I just translate the terms. Yep, double translation. I hope they are right.
Miyazaki
Thank you, very nice work!
Aneksuz
I'm having some problems making my skin. When I change the sliderb files it doesn't change in game. It is still the default ball. I've made sure that I updated the skin folder, etc.
Yukitemi

Aneksuz wrote:

I'm having some problems making my skin. When I change the sliderb files it doesn't change in game. It is still the default ball. I've made sure that I updated the skin folder, etc.
You probably using wrong file extension, it should be .png
Naracion_old
Ah, I see. I was considering making a custom skin for myself so this helped.
rikia
Does anyone know How I can make a(n) hitcircle with a metallic gradient like this one?

I really am interested in this Metallic Circle, And In the ones in TechnoCandy, but I don't know how to make it.
crystalsuicune

Pixelbytez wrote:

Does anyone know How I can make a(n) hitcircle with a metallic gradient like this one?

I really am interested in this Metallic Circle, And In the ones in TechnoCandy, but I don't know how to make it.
Hmm,depends on which program you use.

I can't help if you're using GIMP (not like I haven't used it before,but that was a long time ago and frankly the interface's too clunky for me)
But if you're using photoshop,it's possible to create custom gradients in the gradient editor,that makes it possible to make multiple stops in the gradient.

Alternatively,you can create the lighter parts manually using the foreground to transparent gradient and choosing your own colours.
It's more time-consuming,but you can sort of fine-tune where you want your colours to go.
rikia

crystalsuicune wrote:

Pixelbytez wrote:

Hmm,depends on which program you use.

I can't help if you're using GIMP (not like I haven't used it before,but that was a long time ago and frankly the interface's too clunky for me)
But if you're using photoshop,it's possible to create custom gradients in the gradient editor,that makes it possible to make multiple stops in the gradient.

Alternatively,you can create the lighter parts manually using the foreground to transparent gradient and choosing your own colours.
It's more time-consuming,but you can sort of fine-tune where you want your colours to go.
I use gimp. I did use photoshop on my friends computer once, and had no Idea how it works. I think I could get photoshop on my computer I suppose, Is there some kinda tutorial on how to make your own custom gradients?

EDIT: I've found it out, And decided to make it a different metallic texture. Photoshop has Widely opened My Creativity, And thanks for telling me how to do it.
Bekko
-
Haskorion
Use "Version: 2 (or higher) in your skin.ini-file.
Nissanwarrior69
how can i move the accurcy percent to the center im changed sking from yugan azer edit (with acc thing) to a lovelive skin v2
FuZ
is there any way to add a lane cover on a mania skin? the same way as hidden works but without the inconvenient of being really hard at higher combo

rikia

Himtome1 wrote:

how can i move the accurcy percent to the center im changed sking from yugan azer edit (with acc thing) to a lovelive skin v2
Make the Percent Wider.
Sklitterbeer
It sill isn't finished after 5 years?! :(
AvaYert
Hey! Is there a way to change the texture of columns or column lines in mania?
Maryy
I tried to change my hitcircle but I don't get it;
http://imgur.com/EpIsYMQ
how to solve that?
Adrelandro

Maryy wrote:

how to solve that?

post your folder or screenshots of the folder and i'll see if i can help.
Maryy

Adrelandro wrote:

Maryy wrote:

how to solve that?

post your folder or screenshots of the folder and i'll see if i can help.
https://gyazo.com/ad250224f764f2dfaac1f33d3237a12b
https://gyazo.com/4f06fe2917a4d4477898ac8125ed776d
Adrelandro
Maryy

Adrelandro wrote:

Maryy wrote:

https://gyazo.com/ad250224f764f2dfaac1f33d3237a12b
https://gyazo.com/4f06fe2917a4d4477898ac8125ed776d

you wrote hitcircl instead of hitcircle
I changed it but the hitcircle is still much smaller than ordinary
Adrelandro

Maryy wrote:

hmmm what are your resolutions? can you sare the hircircles...or maybe make bad duplicates if you afraid of a steaö
Maryy

Adrelandro wrote:

Maryy wrote:

hmmm what are your resolutions? can you sare the hircircles...or maybe make bad duplicates if you afraid of a steaö

128x128
Adrelandro

Maryy wrote:

128x128
This beeing the @2 or the normal one? my normal one is 128x128
Maryy

Adrelandro wrote:

Maryy wrote:

128x128
This beeing the @2 or the normal one? my normal one is 128x128

the normal one
thw @2 one is 128x128 as well