forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
FrozenOracle
Hey, working on making my first skin (for personal use).

I've run into a problem in that it seems playfield.png (and playfield@2x.png) are not being used for the ranking screen background as the tutorial says it should. I have other skins i've downloaded that this works on, so my question is why is my skin not working?
Can someone please tell me what they changed in osu that made my skin break? It worked a year ago and iv'e tried recovering it but I can't seem to pinpoint a problem.

Here is the file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/uv48j ... Custom.zip

I tried splicing it with other skins, and only moving sounds over or hitcircles over (to the default skin, other skins that work, etc.) but it all fails to import.
nayerre
Okay, so, uhm, hello and welcome errbody. I will move my post to the basics.

Im poop with gimp etc, i never did It, and my english is to low to read 233 pages of posts... I don't really have a time to read all this things and edit a skin, so basicly I need someone who can spent few minutes for me on editing a skin, tbh I wanna edit just 1 or 2 things, I know, You gonna be like "read topic, use brain, use google" or just "get lost nobody will do this for you coz u are not worthy" or stuff...

Basicly, I need lil' changes and I'll be glad if someone contact me via skype. on skype im called "roycewicz", (acc name), look for a account named "Kanade Tachibana" from Poland, Whatever. Please :(
meolin
Guys, tell me one thing. Where are the changelogs? I cant find any information except this 5-years-old-post. I have many questions about skin.ini file.
Robonatorx
Could someone help me out? I can't quite figure this out.

I basically want to edit a skin for mania. What i would like to have is a little small bar in the middle of the playfield but i don't really know what i need to edit for that.
I can't find any fitting files.
Any help would be appreciated.
Deimos
updated https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Skinning_Sounds with the new sound skin elements, currently CE only
[L357] Xilax
Hello ^-^

Want to know if you know how (if it's possible ) to change the ripple effect color, or make it multicolor, or just change it (like star ripples ? :) )

The thing around my cursor when i click

Thank for reading (and helping, if you know/can :) )
Haskorion
Sadly, you can't.
Noffy
I can't seem to find any information on this anywhere, but..
is there any way to disable the behavior in newer versions in which a slider end doesn't fade in until the slider is nearly done snaking, and the slider head disappears once you click to begin the slider? I find the sliders being like this to look butt-ugly and distracting, and have been sticking to fallback to avoid it, but if there's any way to change it in the newer versions back to the old behavior I'd like to know ><;
Haskorion
You can't. Live with it. Games can change and alter mechanics permanently to increase the experience you get from them.
This change was made to finally solve the problem that both circles on the slider exploded at the same time instead of individually when the slidercircles became skinnable. When people were using the overlay-0 method the slider always was blank since the overlay would disappear immediately and the skinnable slidercircles got rid of that method. People wanted to preserve that so the sliderstart explodes individually to have the slider clean when using a blank sliderendcircle.
Sero
How exactly can I change which combo sprites are used for different keys in mania?

I only found FontCombo: [name] , but putting that @ [Fonts] in the skin.ini will use those sprites for each mode, and putting it below, say "Keys: 4" will do nothing at all.

Am I missing something?
Haskorion

Sero wrote:

How exactly can I change which combo sprites are used for different keys in mania?

I only found FontCombo: [name] , but putting that @ [Fonts] in the skin.ini will use those sprites for each mode, and putting it below, say "Keys: 4" will do nothing at all.

Am I missing something?
It's "ComboPrefix:" and is for all key counts and game modes.
You can't do it for single key counts.
Sero

Haskorion wrote:

Sero wrote:

Am I missing something?
It's "ComboPrefix:" and is for all key counts and game modes.
You can't do it for single key counts.
That's a shame. At least different combo sprites for different gamemodes would have been nice.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Zero_078
http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/4511537
It seems like my hp graph wants to break free. Can anyone please help?
Actually it's my friend's. I also use the same skin but there were no problems with mine: http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/4511567
Yukitemi
Can someone tell me how can I disable color change for warning arrow? It's changing to red.
dws123

Chelsea Senpai wrote:

Can someone tell me how can I disable color change for warning arrow? It's changing to red.
iirc the red tint of warning arrow is due to using Version: 2 and above
if you want it to be as the .png you should use Version: 1
b3s1r
I don't like the new backround noise, when i am in the pause screen, but i couldn't find the name of the .wav file.
Peppy wrote that all the new sounds where skinnable, so did i missred or can any of you tell me how the fiile is called?
Haskorion
Yhatoh
The most useful for osu!mania skins is that the notes will on the center of the screen and the notes more big than the original. That's my opinion.
Kyouya-
I need new skin in play osu mania
Redon
Rainbowkel
Wow nice tutorial! ;D
Alica0

Rainbowkel wrote:

Wow nice tutorial! ;D
Zero_078
Can I use different lighting for different keys in osu!mania?
Qikko
did they remove the applause .wav or something? im trying to change my applause sound but it doesnt work. i tried refreshing my skin too

Edit: nvm i restarted osu. and it worked
Nitrousdragon
I am trying to change the bgm that plays in the pause screen and the fail screen. Do any of you know which file this is?
Supairo

Nitrousdragon wrote:

I am trying to change the bgm that plays in the pause screen and the fail screen. Do any of you know which file this is?
This is "pause-loop.mp3" for the pause and fail screen. The file NEEDS to be an .mp3. "failsound.wav" will overlap with "pause-loop.mp3" if the former is still playing on the fail screen.
ioriioo
Awesome job! I will make my skin soon! ^^
wokalek
Hey. If i do my own skin, why I heed to create not HD and 2x pixels images?
Can I keep only @2x version?
Ex.:
Rio-
Technically you can keep only the @2x file...
But the HD or @2x skin elements will only show if your osu! resolution has a resolution of 1280x720 or higher... Beside that, the skin element used are the default one if there's no "non-HD" skin element in the folder.
wokalek

Rio- wrote:

Technically you can keep only the @2x file...
But the HD or @2x skin elements will only show if your osu! resolution has a resolution of 1280x720 or higher... Beside that, the skin element used are the default one if there's no "non-HD" skin element in the folder.
I set SVGA resolution, then it's seen clear. Thanks)
GhostSkull
Is it possible to skin the start screen?
Supairo

GhostSkull wrote:

Is it possible to skin the start screen?
The only thing that can be changed on the main menu is the background. You need to be supporter in order to use a custom background. So, in your situation, this isn't possible... Sorry! :|
AbsurdDive
quick question ^^

is it possible to turn the song's music off once the Ranking screen appears?
(so you can hear the audio you choose for "applause.mp3")

like is there (or will there ever be) a command to put into the skin.ini ??
Adder

n1nj4 wrote:

quick question ^^

your skin must have another applause.wav, delete it
Rio-

Adder wrote:

n1nj4 wrote:

quick question ^^

Put a blank/no-sound applause.wav (Usually with 44 bytes or the 0 bytes file size one), deleting it only won't disable the sound but instead using the default applause.wav one.
AbsurdDive

Rio- wrote:

Adder wrote:

n1nj4 wrote:

quick question ^^

Put a blank/no-sound applause.wav (Usually with 44 bytes or the 0 bytes file size one), deleting it only won't disable the sound but instead using the default applause.wav one.

i'm using poro skin 2.1...
what i want is to just hear the applause.wav music, not the song i just finished haha ^^"
i guess it can't be done :(
crystalsuicune
I know this sounds really stupid (bear with me I haven't done anything skin-related for a long time)
But basically for shit and giggles I decided to throw my Pendual Taiko skin into Garin's Pendual skin as a personal skin,
then I noticed that the inner and outer graphics don't work properly.

Turns out my Taiko skin uses version 2.0,while 2.1 introduced new alignment rules for Taiko

Problem is I'm not sure how to shift my existing inner+outer graphics to fit the new rules,
especially when they aren't exactly based on the default taiko skin.

So,er,is there a painless way to convert 2.0 Taiko graphics to 2.1?
Haskorion

crystalsuicune wrote:

I know this sounds really stupid (bear with me I haven't done anything skin-related for a long time)
But basically for shit and giggles I decided to throw my Pendual Taiko skin into Garin's Pendual skin as a personal skin,

Turns out my Taiko skin uses version 2.0,while 2.1 introduced new alignment rules for Taiko

Problem is I'm not sure how to shift my existing inner+outer graphics to fit the new rules,

Taiko drums can now be skinned on a 90x200 canvas, so I suggest you shift the middle axis of your taiko-bar-left at 90,0 of a 180x200 canvas and position the drums to fit them in there.

crystalsuicune

Haskorion wrote:

crystalsuicune wrote:

Taiko drums can now be skinned on a 90x200 canvas, so I suggest you shift the middle axis of your taiko-bar-left at 90,0 of a 180x200 canvas and position the drums to fit them in there.

.....Well shit.
Hopefully I don't have to end up rebuilding everything, but thanks!
show more