forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Gritoit

xXDoNiXx wrote:

does someone here know why the slider type 3 in the .ini was deactivated?
My guess would be it was buggy or could somehow be exploited. Though I would be curious to know the exact reason as well.
Ayesha Altugle

xXDoNiXx wrote:

does someone here know why the slider type 3 in the .ini was deactivated?

peppy wrote:

I deprecated 3 for the time being. I have set it to fallback to a better setting in the next patch.
?
Mamiko
i already add version 2 to skin.ini but the spinner still version 1
other skin either,help
Rio-

Hikari- wrote:

other skin either,help
delete spinner-background.png
Mamiko

Rio- wrote:

Hikari- wrote:

other skin either,help
delete spinner-background.png
thx<3
SobekGaming_old
Nice :3 Ty for guide, now my skin looks awesome <3
EDBTZ123
hey im making my own skin, first time of course and i used cookiez skin as some help and used a bit of his work but when i tried to use it on osu! my numbers where spammed everywhere across the screen, any idea why?
Gritoit

EDBTZ123 wrote:

hey im making my own skin, first time of course and i used cookiez skin as some help and used a bit of his work but when i tried to use it on osu! my numbers where spammed everywhere across the screen, any idea why?
Do you have screenshots of this? Also which numbers default or score? I would check the skin.ini if you changed some of the offsets in there that could be why. Other than that idea I have no clue without seeing it.
EDBTZ123
Gritoit

EDBTZ123 wrote:

It just looks like this:

http://gyazo.com/2202131a262afc5e3a877d2304b59f3c

Wow they really are going crazy. Not sure at all now as I have never gotten them to behave like that before. Could you upload your skin so I can mess around in it. By poking around for a bit I am sure I can fix it.
EDBTZ123

Gritoit wrote:

EDBTZ123 wrote:

It just looks like this:

http://gyazo.com/2202131a262afc5e3a877d2304b59f3c

Wow they really are going crazy. Not sure at all now as I have never gotten them to behave like that before. Could you upload your skin so I can mess around in it. By poking around for a bit I am sure I can fix it.
k im not gna lie to u or anything i have no idea how to post my skin up on forum, teach me senpai :(
Gritoit
Go under options to select skin then under the skins will be export skin. Just use that get the .osk file and upload it to mediafire, dropbox or any other file hosting service.
EDBTZ123

Gritoit wrote:

Go under options to select skin then under the skins will be export skin. Just use that get the .osk file and upload it to mediafire, dropbox or any other file hosting service.
look at u, u should b an osu professor :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnxhhd60h2fya0i/pokemon.osk

thanks for bearing with my stupidity haha
Gritoit
Glad that I can help. I fixed them for you. You had just made the dimensions for score numbers far too wide and set the numbers to one side. Not sure of the limits for score numbers but I use 40 x 51 for all numbers except 1 which is 30 x 51. Here is the download for the fixed version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3j4uurf36h99lsm/cookie-.osk

Oh also I add @2x files or HD files not sure if you needed them but your original images were big enough so I went for it.

If you need anything else just let me know.
EDBTZ123

Gritoit wrote:

Glad that I can help. I fixed them for you. You had just made the dimensions for score numbers far too wide and set the numbers to one side. Not sure of the limits for score numbers but I use 40 x 51 for all numbers except 1 which is 30 x 51. Here is the download for the fixed version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3j4uurf36h99lsm/cookie-.osk

Oh also I add @2x files or HD files not sure if you needed them but your original images were big enough so I went for it.

If you need anything else just let me know.
oooooo ill check it out, thanks a lot, ill tell u if i need any more help :D
foreverloveya
Is there any way to disable the light burst in CTB?
AnatOWJIya
Hi there guys.Is someone making mascots for CTB there?Or should i ask in another topic?
Gritoit

STYNGY wrote:

Hi there guys.Is someone making mascots for CTB there?Or should i ask in another topic?
I think you are looking for this thread: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/16155
nrl
Is there a way to get rid of falling misses in v2 skins?
RBRat3

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Is there a way to get rid of falling misses in v2 skins?
Yes use an animated sequence of your own.
Yoges
Anyway i can make the inner part of the slider fully transparent?
AskonNox

Yoges wrote:

Anyway i can make the inner part of the slider fully transparent?
I don't think thats possible, the only way to change the slider itself seems to be through the Skin.ini and there i you can only change the colors i think.
If there is a way someone please correct me
Quichey
God, that's odd.

There's these fucky hit circle overlays scattered about the slider. See picture:

Any fix for this? It seems if I make the hitcircleoverlay file the same size as the hit circle in the skin, it fixes it...
EDIT:
More research leads me to believe the anchor point for hitcircleoverlay is not at the center of the image but at a constant point (x,y) for sliders only.
EDIT2:
On a lighter background, it appears there is black at the edges? This is suggestive of a couple different things... my guess is that it is taking the transparency value at that point and turning it black. I would also venture to guess that there is clipping based on the hit circle size for some odd reason.

EDIT3:
Isn't it just far easier to set the center of an image as the anchor point, then set where that image has to spawn as a point in the editor? Center can be found by halving the dimensions of the image and setting them as coordinates (256x128 -> 128,64 is the center). I'm pretty sure that's more than possible. It would solve the hit circle size needing to be a certain size and solve problems regarding this hit circle overlay. Balancewise, just resize hit circle if it is too big.
[ Nana ]
A quick question: is it possible to make section-pass and section-fail animated? Didn't see any skin with these elements animated, but I've seen for example play-skip and menu-back elements animated, so there's my question.
If it is possible, how do I do that? Simply create separate frame images and name them section-fail-0, section-fail-1 etc?
Rio-

Nanashi666 wrote:

A quick question: is it possible to make section-pass and section-fail animated? Didn't see any skin with these elements animated, but I've seen for example play-skip and menu-back elements animated, so there's my question.
If it is possible, how do I do that? Simply create separate frame images and name them section-fail-0, section-fail-1 etc?
I think It's not possible... at least for now

Quiesce wrote:

God, that's odd.

There's these fucky hit circle overlays scattered about the slider. See picture:

Any fix for this? It seems if I make the hitcircleoverlay file the same size as the hit circle in the skin, it fixes it...
EDIT:
More research leads me to believe the anchor point for hitcircleoverlay is not at the center of the image but at a constant point (x,y) for sliders only.
EDIT2:
On a lighter background, it appears there is black at the edges? This is suggestive of a couple different things... my guess is that it is taking the transparency value at that point and turning it black. I would also venture to guess that there is clipping based on the hit circle size for some odd reason.

EDIT3:
Isn't it just far easier to set the center of an image as the anchor point, then set where that image has to spawn as a point in the editor? Center can be found by halving the dimensions of the image and setting them as coordinates (256x128 -> 128,64 is the center). I'm pretty sure that's more than possible. It would solve the hit circle size needing to be a certain size and solve problems regarding this hit circle overlay. Balancewise, just resize hit circle if it is too big.
Perhaps gave us the link of the hitcircle.png & hitcircleoverlay.png might help(?)
Quichey
Only certain files can be animated at the moment.

Hit circle overlay (@2x). Same problem exists regardless of @2x.

Hit circle (@2x)

Combo Color: 0,180,255
OsuMe65
I tested animating hitcircleoverlay a month ago. Hitcircleoverlay's animation is up to 4 frames. Hitcircle shows certain amount of frames based on AR. If i could remember it correctly, AR 0-2 shows all four frames, AR 3-6 shows frames 1 to 3, AR7-9 shows the first two frames while AR 10
shows one but the 2nd frame pops out miliseconds after clicking the circle.

I don't know if this won't help in fixing but this shoud be useful for skinners who wanted to try animating hitcircleoverlay
Haskorion

Quiesce wrote:

Only certain files can be animated at the moment.

Hit circle overlay (@2x). Same problem exists regardless of @2x.
pls stick to 256x256 for static (non-animated) HD hitcircleoverlays. they are anchored at the top left and not the centre like you figured out so you have to stick to template sizes. Possible fix would be to use a 256x256 static hitcircleoverlay for sliders and a 1-frame animated hitcircleoverlay-0 only for the circles

@osume: As addition, sliders use the static hitcircleoverlay and circles the animated ones. Also the hitburst uses the animated frames for sliders and circles. Some time ago I thought that animated overlays were visible under the static ones, but that maybe got fixed.

Edit: some screenies proving that:

OsuMe65
ya, I forgot that but that thing happened too. Brace "ourselves" if that's intended.
Quichey
Tch. Darn. What a sad answer. There should be better solutions to it than just limiting the size of the file.
OsuMe65
What I meant is the hitcircleoverlay animation string. Having no hitcircleoverlay.png along with the animated string would replicate that screenshot, except that the individual hitcircle would be animated but the slider hitcircles won't (in this case, slider hitcirlces will use the first frame and let the next frame pop milliseconds after the hitcircle was clicked, iirc). I barely have small memories about that; I hope I could replicate that again. For the hitbursts animation, they are very fast that you would need around 60-90 frames to get it right. The consequence will be a heavy skin size = w=b
Haskorion
Having no static hitcircleoverlay.png and only the animated string does result in the default hitcircleoverlay being used for sliders. It doesn't use the first frame of the animation sadly.

Also I find the hitburst to be a multi layered mechanic, consisting of the hitcircleoverlay, hitcircle, default numbers (for V1 skins), particles, lighting, combo colours and the hitscores (hit300,hit100,etc.).
So referring to hitbursts reminds me more of that or animated hitscores instead of the static hitscores.
That would be my definition of hitburst.
I see the layer orders as following:

w/o particles
  1. hitscore
  2. hitcircleoverlay
  3. default number (only V1)
  4. hitcircle in combo colour
  5. lighting
with particles
  1. hitcircleoverlay
  2. default number (only V1)
  3. hitcircle in combo colour
  4. hitscore
  5. particle
  6. lighting
OsuMe65
Finally remembered it. Having a static and animation stringed HCoverlay is perfect. Also, no one knows the actual arragement of those, except if you try to know it using the forbidden method, which is bad for your health = w=
nrl
EDIT: Figured it out.
yubtippin
So I went into the skin.ini and changed the version to 2.2, and deleted the spinner-background.png, but it still shows the generic spinner. I googled around and couldn't find a fix.
I realized I was using old spinners mixed with new ones
DahplA
Can anyone tell me how I can get a cursor like this. It has lines coming out of it horizontally and vertically. If you don't get what I'm talking about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TCv2yvM_QY
Gritoit
Just make your cursor image huge like say 800 x 800 (or even bigger might be best to do it at your resolution or even double your resolution) and make sure to put the normal cursor dead center and just use guides to put thin lines horizontally and vertically.
rep_old_1
Can someone explain to me exactly what parts of the slider "sliderb.png" and "sliderb0.png" are? Thank you
manjumochi

repath wrote:

Can someone explain to me exactly what parts of the slider "sliderb.png" and "sliderb0.png" are? Thank you
It is the sliderball.
rep_old_1
What image(s) do I need to edit to change these buttons?
These buttons that say "Export as .osk", "Get more skins", "Random Beatmap"

show more