forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
CommAshen
Hey, I have a question.

When playing the beatmap "Within Temptation - The Unforgiving," the slider border color is set to black (using the map's skin), but I would like it to be white. I didn't see an .ini file or something inside the song's skin, so I am wondering, what is making the border color black (my skin's is set to white).

(Happens on other beatmaps with their own skins also, that's just a random example)
nalaa
I tried to make my own score numbers, but when I look at them in game they look all jaggy, rough, not smooth, unsure how to say it.

http://i.imgur.com/pzKteSc.png You should be able to see with this image.

If someone can help make them look better, that would be great.

Download to numbers. http://puu.sh/aie0z/c737f207ca.rar

EDIT: If someone can help with the percent sign too, one of the circles in it look like a square even though when I look at it in paint.net it looks exactly the same

Thanks in advance for the help.
- Milhofo -

notNala wrote:

I tried to make my own score numbers, but when I look at them in game they look all jaggy, rough, not smooth, unsure how to say it.

http://i.imgur.com/pzKteSc.png You should be able to see with this image.

If someone can help make them look better, that would be great.

Download to numbers. http://puu.sh/aie0z/c737f207ca.rar

EDIT: If someone can help with the percent sign too, one of the circles in it look like a square even though when I look at it in paint.net it looks exactly the same

Thanks in advance for the help.
If you're playing widescreen then you should make HD versions of the numbers (twice the size), because you're using lower quality numbers for a higher resolution. It's always easier to make the HD version first (add "@2x" at the end) and then resize it 50% smaller for PC's with lower resolutions. Because if you do the SD version first you will lose quality making the HD version.
Haskorion
He didn't clean them enough. When checking them on a black backgroundlayer they have lots of undeleted semi-transparent pixels. To the percent: All numbers are scaled by a bit. They never appear in their given resolution. Scaling stretches them a bit and makes one of the "o" look like a square.

Also HD resolution usage has nothing to do with widescreen usage. As long as the game resolution is at least 800 pixels in heigth and 1000 pixels in width the "@2x"-elements are used. The aspect ratio has nothing to do with it.
DahplA
Can someone tell me what the file name for this is called
Catgirl
Sorry if it's been asked before and I couldn't find it. Is there a way to skin away the hit lighting in CTB whenever you catch a fruit? It gets quite distracting when using FL.

OsuMe65

DahplA wrote:

Can someone tell me what the file name for this is called
skin.ini (SliderBorder: R,G,B)

Decon082 wrote:

Sorry if it's been asked before and I couldn't find it. Is there a way to skin away the hit lighting in CTB whenever you catch a fruit? It gets quite distracting when using FL.

no possible way, so far
Catgirl

OsuMe65 wrote:

no possible way, so far
I didn't think so. Thanks for the reply!
DahplA
What about this pink-ish glow on the font
Rio-

DahplA wrote:

It's star2.png I think... or if You mean the colour of the font :
SongSelectActiveText: R,G,B
SongSelectInactiveText: R,G,B
DahplA

Rio- wrote:

DahplA wrote:

It's star2.png I think... or if You mean the colour of the font :
SongSelectActiveText: R,G,B
SongSelectInactiveText: R,G,B
Thanks.
Tumor
While it's possible using other skins, I somehow can't change the menu-background and the menu-glow in mine. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Of course I added "MenuGlow: 189,27,27" to [Colours] in my skin.ini, and I also have a menu-background.png in my skin's folder.
deadbeat

Tumor wrote:

While it's possible using other skins, I somehow can't change the menu-background and the menu-glow in mine. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Of course I added "MenuGlow: 189,27,27" to [Colours] in my skin.ini, and I also have a menu-background.png in my skin's folder.
dunno about the MenuGlow, but it's menu-background.jpg not .png
try add the MenuGlow to other sections of the skin.ini
Dudge
Is it possible to move the play-warning arrows more to the left?

OsuMe65
can't
Dudge

OsuMe65 wrote:

can't
Thanks for the quick reply.
robin
Am I able to have two section pass sounds?
Tumor
I managed to enable my menu-background and menu-glow by drag&dropping the image file into Osu. But there's still one problem: My menu-snow won't work either... It just uses the default one.

What's wrong with my skin? If I wanted to send it to someone else, it would be embarrassing to say "The background won't work unless you drag&drop it into your window - oh and the menu-snow doesn't work at all"...

I can't even get one file to work, but would it be possible to use multiple menu-snow.png files?
Arcanine
How do I line up the scorebar-bg and scorebar-colour?
Haskorion

Arcanine wrote:

Depends on what you want to use as the indicator (ki-elements or marker).

If you use scorebar-ki/kidanger/kidanger2 the anchorpoint for the scorebar-colour is at 5,16 (width,height).
If you use scorebar-marker the anchorpoint for the scorebar-colour is at 12,12 (width,height).

For example you have a scorebar-bg with "n x 40" and your scorebar-colour starts at around 20,20.

Using ki-elements you would have to add 5 pixels at the top of the scorebar-colour and 16 pixels at the left of the colour for it to be aligned.
Using scorebar-marker you would have to add 9 pixels at the top and 9 pixels to the right of the scorebar-colour.

As you can see it depends on what kind of indicator elements you want to use.
Arcanine

ReddScorn wrote:

Arcanine wrote:

Depends on what you want to use as the indicator (ki-elements or marker).

If you use scorebar-ki/kidanger/kidanger2 the anchorpoint for the scorebar-colour is at 5,16 (width,height).
If you use scorebar-marker the anchorpoint for the scorebar-colour is at 12,12 (width,height).

For example you have a scorebar-bg with "n x 40" and your scorebar-colour starts at around 20,20.

Using ki-elements you would have to add 5 pixels at the top of the scorebar-colour and 16 pixels at the left of the colour for it to be aligned.
Using scorebar-marker you would have to add 9 pixels at the top and 9 pixels to the right of the scorebar-colour.

As you can see it depends on what kind of indicator elements you want to use.
Would they be the same if I have transparent indicators? (size of scorebar-x)
OsuMe65
that still apply with empty markers
Haskorion

Arcanine wrote:

Would they be the same if I have transparent indicators? (size of scorebar-x)
Transparency has nothing to do with it. Of course they can be 1x1 transparent pixel, but they won't change the size of the scorebar-colour or bg. They just influence the start position of scorebar-colour.
CommAshen

CommAshen wrote:

Hey, I have a question.

When playing the beatmap "Within Temptation - The Unforgiving," the slider border color is set to black (using the map's skin), but I would like it to be white. I didn't see an .ini file or something inside the song's skin, so I am wondering, what is making the border color black (my skin's is set to white).

(Happens on other beatmaps with their own skins also, that's just a random example)
Maxchar
I've been fooling around with a personal skin (Creating images, sounds and such just for fun) But I ran into the problem of Sliderpoint10 and Sliderpoint30\s showing up, and I don't know how I got them on nor how to get them off. I also have no idea how to change the overall colour of objects (I want to make my hit circles and such much darker as I have a hard time with light colours). I can see where it sais it on the tutorial but how to edit the skins (Aside from pasting images and sounds into it) escapes me. Is there a program that can be used to edit skins and such?
Rio-

Maxchar wrote:

But I ran into the problem of Sliderpoint10 and Sliderpoint30\s showing up, and I don't know how I got them on nor how to get them off.
on : Use sliderpoint10.png and sliderpoint30.png as usual
off : copy a blank *.png picture and replace those 2 images

Maxchar wrote:

I also have no idea how to change the overall colour of objects (I want to make my hit circles and such much darker as I have a hard time with light colours). I can see where it sais it on the tutorial but how to edit the skins (Aside from pasting images and sounds into it) escapes me.
edit Your skin.ini inside Your skin folder and edit
Combo1: R,G,B
Combo2: R,G,B

Maxchar wrote:

Is there a program that can be used to edit skins and such?
Photoshop or GIMP are pretty useful :)
Nya Nya Neko
are shader elements skinnable?
tokaku
Two questions. One, how do I make my skin the new skin version type? Two, how do I add hit lightning behind each of the end of a combo like this? http://youtu.be/DlQr8Oxnclk
sheela

tokaku wrote:

Two questions. One, how do I make my skin the new skin version type? Two, how do I add hit lightning behind each of the end of a combo like this? http://youtu.be/DlQr8Oxnclk
One: Go to your skin folder and open skin.ini. It should mark Version:<number>. Replace the number by 2.2 (not sure if 2.3 is here).
Two: The file name should be hit-300g.png, hit-300k.png, hit-100k.png. You can replace those file by the image file.
manjumochi

tokaku wrote:

Try making a particle300g.png (just guessing, I don't know if it exists).
sheela

manjumochi wrote:

tokaku wrote:

Try making a particle300g.png (just guessing, I don't know if it exists).
Ah. I was searching for that.
Maxchar

Rio- wrote:

Maxchar wrote:

But I ran into the problem of Sliderpoint10 and Sliderpoint30\s showing up, and I don't know how I got them on nor how to get them off.
on : Use sliderpoint10.png and sliderpoint30.png as usual
off : copy a blank *.png picture and replace those 2 images

Maxchar wrote:

I also have no idea how to change the overall colour of objects (I want to make my hit circles and such much darker as I have a hard time with light colours). I can see where it sais it on the tutorial but how to edit the skins (Aside from pasting images and sounds into it) escapes me.
edit Your skin.ini inside Your skin folder and edit
Combo1: R,G,B
Combo2: R,G,B

Maxchar wrote:

Is there a program that can be used to edit skins and such?
Photoshop or GIMP are pretty useful :)
Ahh. I just created the folder and started throwing crap into it. I hadn't had a skin.ini folder created. This makes everything MUCH less confusing. Thanks :3
Inori
EDIT: Nevermind.
BlackTasty
How do I change the colour of those windows:
http://puu.sh/apz7V/a51b0e2582.jpg
Inori

bl8ckdr8gon wrote:

How do I change the colour of those windows:
http://puu.sh/apz7V/a51b0e2582.jpg
You can't
CommAshen

CommAshen wrote:

CommAshen wrote:

Hey, I have a question.

Another beatmap example is Animal - Neon Trees

Seems like a simple enough question... no answer?
BlackTasty
okay. Now I have a problem with my Lifebar :/ in the skin selection the Lifebar looks fine, but ingame the position of the colour is wrong:
http://puu.sh/apDLT/6aba6b273d.jpg
Haskorion

bl8ckdr8gon wrote:

okay. Now I have a problem with my Lifebar :/ in the skin selection the Lifebar looks fine, but ingame the position of the colour is wrong:
http://puu.sh/apDLT/6aba6b273d.jpg
Use scorebar-ki, scorebar-kidanger, and scorebar-kidanger2 instead of a scorebar-marker.

CommAshen wrote:

CommAshen wrote:

Hey, I have a question.

Another beatmap example is Animal - Neon Trees

Seems like a simple enough question... no answer?
Make sure you have enabled "ignore all beatmap skins" in the options and if you want to play with the songs skin untick "ignore beatmap skin" during the short period bfore the song starts playing. Seems like the only way to play with custom slidertracks and borders while using beatmap skins atm.

Also beatmaps never have ini.files. They define all color settings in the osu-files for the difficulties in the [Colours] section in the same way as on the skin.ini-file (combocolours and slidercolours).
Cryphos
I have this skin mash-up for some time until this major revamp on osu come and BAM. Things look wrong.
http://puu.sh/arQj8.jpg

For now, I just want to fix the overlay between the rank icon and the song title, can i do anything about it? I tried inserting some space at the right of these icons but it doesnt seem to work... http://puu.sh/arQIH.png
OsuMe65
The image size itself is big enough to cover that title. Try to resize and resize until you get it right. (I'm telling that you can use the Trial And Error method. Although this takes time, the results will be better)

I'll give a headstart if you really need it: Keep its ratio and set your width to 34
show more