forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
dws123

Chaoslitz wrote:

CommAshen wrote:

What's with play-warningarrow always showing up red in-game? How can I make it the correct color?
The new version of skin.ini will force it to show in red colour so can't @@
Actually possible, but will have to make skin into Version 1
CommAshen

dws123 wrote:

Actually possible, but will have to make skin into Version 1
Making skin version 1 would cause a thousand other problems even if it fixes this 1, so not worth.

There is no other way?

Why is this new "upgraded" skin style taking customizability AWAY from the user and making my skin look ugly? I don't get it...
Z e t s u k i
Hey guys, this is the first time I ever posted anything in osu!forum so please forgive me if there is something wrong with my post, thank you.
I tried some skinning myself (just mixing some skins) and I found one skin with combobursts. As I heard the voice in the combobursts, I immidiately want to apply them in my skin. So I just copy and paste (so sorry if that was rude, but I do not claim them as mine, it was this skin t/224240 )
But I cannot get them all to work when I play. I can only hear the combobreak sound.
It wasn't a big disappoint to me until today, when I record a replay I played, I can hear them VERY nice. And it just pisses me off

Can any1 help me please?
- Milhofo -

-Shireishi- wrote:

Hey guys, this is the first time I ever posted anything in osu!forum so please forgive me if there is something wrong with my post, thank you.
I tried some skinning myself (just mixing some skins) and I found one skin with combobursts. As I heard the voice in the combobursts, I immidiately want to apply them in my skin. So I just copy and paste (so sorry if that was rude, but I do not claim them as mine, it was this skin t/224240 )
But I cannot get them all to work when I play. I can only hear the combobreak sound.
It wasn't a big disappoint to me until today, when I record a replay I played, I can hear them VERY nice. And it just pisses me off

Can any1 help me please?
There's really no reason for them not to work :/ They all work on both my desktop and laptop, are you starting to name them on "comboburst-0"? They should work. Also they're not mine, I took it from another skin after seeing it on several others as well.
Arcanine
Are we able to disable thumbnails for a specific skin?
kyjelly
Is anyone able to make/find this hitsound this person has? I dont mind if its something similar but it sounds so awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5FW0F1gQI4
Rio-

kyjelly wrote:

Is anyone able to make/find this hitsound this person has? I dont mind if its something similar but it sounds so awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5FW0F1gQI4
I think It's Shizuru-'s old Hitsounds...
http://puu.sh/90f2h/eb164caba9.rar

Arcanine wrote:

Are we able to disable thumbnails for a specific skin?
There's an option where You can disable thumbnails in the options menu
-Viselc-
can i ask if someone has this snow default number? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHFMuCW ... -B0qHHCEtQ
Z e t s u k i

Milhofo wrote:

There's really no reason for them not to work :/ They all work on both my desktop and laptop, are you starting to name them on "comboburst-0"? They should work. Also they're not mine, I took it from another skin after seeing it on several others as well.
I didn't change anything from yours :( I just copied and pasted, nothing more :( it's really weird how they do not work while I play, or when I watch replays. But when record it sounds just fine :(
Topic Starter
MLGnom

-Shireishi- wrote:

Milhofo wrote:

I didn't change anything from yours :( I just copied and pasted, nothing more :( it's really weird how they do not work while I play, or when I watch replays. But when record it sounds just fine :(
Do you have enabled "Use skin's sound samples" in options?
Mara
Hey #skinninsupport, I have a custom skin for a mapset. What happens to players using HD skins if my beatmap skin only has SD stuff? Will the player see them or...?

Also I heard some skin.ini commands can be added for the beatmap skins too. How and which ones?
Arcanine

Mara wrote:

Hey #skinninsupport, I have a custom skin for a mapset. What happens to players using HD skins if my beatmap skin only has SD stuff? Will the player see them or...?

Also I heard some skin.ini commands can be added for the beatmap skins too. How and which ones?
I think they'll use the SD version if HD isn't available.
Mara
Can someone with HD skin in use test this?

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/458638 I removed all HD skin files from that map. Do you still see the custom skin?
- Milhofo -

Mara wrote:

Can someone with HD skin in use test this?

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/458638 I removed all HD skin files from that map. Do you still see the custom skin?
All works fine :) don't know if you changed the hitcircles or not but they're pretty similar to the standard ones, also, that cursor ._.

As long as the SD versions are there, the skin will work, it only picks up HD versions if the computer allows it and the elements are actually there.
Mara
Hitcircles are default (forced from the map settings), so you saw it right. Thank you for checking!
Z e t s u k i

MLGnom wrote:

Do you have enabled "Use skin's sound samples" in options?
Ah I did but it didn't work.
Turns out it was because of some program on my PC blocking it..

Thank you, the comboburst works out just fine now :D
ritsu101nightshade
Sorry if I'm posting at the wrong place, but I think it's the right place...

Anyway, is there are way of getting rid of the pictures that appears in the newer skins in the song select? Thank you ^^a
[cocoa]_old

ritsu101nightshade wrote:

Sorry if I'm posting at the wrong place, but I think it's the right place...

Anyway, is there are way of getting rid of the pictures that appears in the newer skins in the song select? Thank you ^^a
disable this
ritsu101nightshade
Oh o . o Thanks, I didn't see it was in options...
- Milhofo -
Ok I have kind of a weird question. Is there an easy way to convert HD elements of a skin into SD versions? Is the SD size exactly 50% size of the HD element? Because I'm doing my skin HD and I really don't want to go changing element sizes one by one ;-;
Uruoki

Milhofo wrote:

Ok I have kind of a weird question. Is there an easy way to convert HD elements of a skin into SD versions? Is the SD size exactly 50% size of the HD element? Because I'm doing my skin HD and I really don't want to go changing element sizes one by one ;-;
Batch actions in photoshop.
OsuMe65

Milhofo wrote:

There's actually a tool (3P software, I forgot where the heck I DL'ed ) that easily scales HD to SD.
- Milhofo -

Uruoki wrote:

Batch actions in photoshop.
Did one and it converted all files in a minute, thank you so much, didn't know that about PS.

OsuMe65 wrote:

Milhofo wrote:

There's actually a tool (3P software, I forgot where the heck I DL'ed ) that easily scales HD to SD.
Photoshop did it for me, thx though :)
CommAshen
Hey, I have a question.

When playing the beatmap "Within Temptation - The Unforgiving," the slider border color is set to black (using the map's skin), but I would like it to be white. I didn't see an .ini file or something inside the song's skin, so I am wondering, what is making the border color black (my skin's is set to white).

(Happens on other beatmaps with their own skins also, that's just a random example)
nalaa
I tried to make my own score numbers, but when I look at them in game they look all jaggy, rough, not smooth, unsure how to say it.

http://i.imgur.com/pzKteSc.png You should be able to see with this image.

If someone can help make them look better, that would be great.

Download to numbers. http://puu.sh/aie0z/c737f207ca.rar

EDIT: If someone can help with the percent sign too, one of the circles in it look like a square even though when I look at it in paint.net it looks exactly the same

Thanks in advance for the help.
- Milhofo -

notNala wrote:

I tried to make my own score numbers, but when I look at them in game they look all jaggy, rough, not smooth, unsure how to say it.

http://i.imgur.com/pzKteSc.png You should be able to see with this image.

If someone can help make them look better, that would be great.

Download to numbers. http://puu.sh/aie0z/c737f207ca.rar

EDIT: If someone can help with the percent sign too, one of the circles in it look like a square even though when I look at it in paint.net it looks exactly the same

Thanks in advance for the help.
If you're playing widescreen then you should make HD versions of the numbers (twice the size), because you're using lower quality numbers for a higher resolution. It's always easier to make the HD version first (add "@2x" at the end) and then resize it 50% smaller for PC's with lower resolutions. Because if you do the SD version first you will lose quality making the HD version.
Haskorion
He didn't clean them enough. When checking them on a black backgroundlayer they have lots of undeleted semi-transparent pixels. To the percent: All numbers are scaled by a bit. They never appear in their given resolution. Scaling stretches them a bit and makes one of the "o" look like a square.

Also HD resolution usage has nothing to do with widescreen usage. As long as the game resolution is at least 800 pixels in heigth and 1000 pixels in width the "@2x"-elements are used. The aspect ratio has nothing to do with it.
DahplA
Can someone tell me what the file name for this is called
Catgirl
Sorry if it's been asked before and I couldn't find it. Is there a way to skin away the hit lighting in CTB whenever you catch a fruit? It gets quite distracting when using FL.

OsuMe65

DahplA wrote:

Can someone tell me what the file name for this is called
skin.ini (SliderBorder: R,G,B)

Decon082 wrote:

Sorry if it's been asked before and I couldn't find it. Is there a way to skin away the hit lighting in CTB whenever you catch a fruit? It gets quite distracting when using FL.

no possible way, so far
Catgirl

OsuMe65 wrote:

no possible way, so far
I didn't think so. Thanks for the reply!
DahplA
What about this pink-ish glow on the font
Rio-

DahplA wrote:

It's star2.png I think... or if You mean the colour of the font :
SongSelectActiveText: R,G,B
SongSelectInactiveText: R,G,B
DahplA

Rio- wrote:

DahplA wrote:

It's star2.png I think... or if You mean the colour of the font :
SongSelectActiveText: R,G,B
SongSelectInactiveText: R,G,B
Thanks.
Tumor
While it's possible using other skins, I somehow can't change the menu-background and the menu-glow in mine. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Of course I added "MenuGlow: 189,27,27" to [Colours] in my skin.ini, and I also have a menu-background.png in my skin's folder.
deadbeat

Tumor wrote:

While it's possible using other skins, I somehow can't change the menu-background and the menu-glow in mine. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Of course I added "MenuGlow: 189,27,27" to [Colours] in my skin.ini, and I also have a menu-background.png in my skin's folder.
dunno about the MenuGlow, but it's menu-background.jpg not .png
try add the MenuGlow to other sections of the skin.ini
Dudge
Is it possible to move the play-warning arrows more to the left?

OsuMe65
can't
Dudge

OsuMe65 wrote:

can't
Thanks for the quick reply.
robin
Am I able to have two section pass sounds?
show more