forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Rei Hakurei

N88 wrote:

darkmiz wrote:

What's the optimal resolution for "menu-button-background.png" and "menu-button-background@2x.png"?
It's best to keep it the same size as in the default skin template. Here is a template (for @2x, small version is just 2x smaller) with approximate locations of text and stars.
well well well, i think you need to do carefully for this thing,
as this thing were used on another places...

like gameplay leaderboard, etc.
darkmiz

N88 wrote:

It's best to keep it the same size as in the default skin template. Here is a template (for @2x, small version is just 2x smaller) with approximate locations of text and stars.
Thanks a lot!

Rei Hakurei wrote:

well well well, i think you need to do carefully for this thing,
as this thing were used on another places...
like gameplay leaderboard, etc.
I just posted a feature request to separate it into different elements for song menu, score leader board panel, etc
razavana
Quick question, I have started experimenting with combo numbers and i need to make them perfectly overlap each other for combos higher then 10, I understand it's skin.ini related but can't pinpoint it.
N88

razavana wrote:

Quick question, I have started experimenting with combo numbers and i need to make them perfectly overlap each other for combos higher then 10, I understand it's skin.ini related but can't pinpoint it.

wiki wrote:

HitCircleOverlap: <number>
where <number> is the number of pixels that two images from the first font are allowed to overlap (e.g., how much the "1" and the "2" can overlap when making the number "12").
I haven't tested it, but this should do it if you set it as the width of your numbers.
razavana

N88 wrote:

razavana wrote:

wiki wrote:

HitCircleOverlap: <number>
where <number> is the number of pixels that two images from the first font are allowed to overlap (e.g., how much the "1" and the "2" can overlap when making the number "12").
I haven't tested it, but this should do it if you set it as the width of your numbers.
thanks!
quaternary
Hi, I'm having a weird problem.

My letters look like this in-game (other icons look similar, esp. when scrolling fast). They seem to have a white line on areas that border a transparent area, but only sometimes?
Here is the letter image:
I use Gimp. What can I do to fix my letters?

--

While I'm here, any antialiasing tips for gimp? The "Antialias" filter doesn't do squat, and I'm stuck with this hitcircle: http://puu.sh/72Dlu.png
Topic Starter
MLGnom

tuddster wrote:

Hi, I'm having a weird problem.

My letters look like this in-game (other icons look similar, esp. when scrolling fast). They seem to have a white line on areas that border a transparent area, but only sometimes?
Here is the letter image:
I use Gimp. What can I do to fix my letters?

--

While I'm here, any antialiasing tips for gimp? The "Antialias" filter doesn't do squat, and I'm stuck with this hitcircle: http://puu.sh/72Dlu.png
Because it still have white border. (You probably created white letter and just painted it with fill tool).
Easiest way to fix this : Select "Colours" tab and find there "Colour to alpha", select colour (white is by default) and confirm.

For creating nicer circles, use feather edges option.

Tanakinha
That Tutorial was awesome and that was very good to teach other persons.

Now i can make skins! Thanks! 8-)

~Black_Dragonite
quaternary

MLGnom wrote:

Because it still have white border. (You probably created white letter and just painted it with fill tool).
How did I not notice that? XD
Thanks for pointing it out
For creating nicer circles, use feather edges option.
Oh, did not know that was there :3

thank you so much <3
phopos
I was told to come here for help with my spinner circle and approach circles. I need some help cleaning and sharpening them. They both work but are both kinda fuzzy. Can someone pm me for assistance?
Eden333
hey guys, i need some help for my skin: ...-background.jpg

i read the thread:

MLGnom wrote:

Okay, so here is what I have done so far.
Made 3 templates that should correct any problems with missing texts on backgrounds and make things readable.
Easiest way to use them, simply put your picture under template layer. One thing, template of search-background is in 1024x768 resolution so for widescreen use, you only need to change it's width canvas (workspace) to 1229px to make it fit correctly. And download : Template Backgrounds

And of course example how they looks.

Please tell me if these are okay, maybe I missed something? If these are fine I can add them to normal skin template.

Edit: Updated template skin. Added these background templates.
the menu-background.jpg is loading but the: [search-background.jpg], [matchsetup-background.jpg] and the [lobby-background] is not loading
can you pls help me.

i want this backgrounds:

screen resolution: 1600x900 Window mode (borderless)
Rio-
If I remembered It right... those three pictures aren't supported anymore (even If You're a supporter)
Kyuunei_old

phopos wrote:

I was told to come here for help with my spinner circle and approach circles. I need some help cleaning and sharpening them. They both work but are both kinda fuzzy. Can someone pm me for assistance?
Adding outer glow will almost always make your picture less pixelated and remove sharp edges.
Eden333

satriobp wrote:

If I remembered It right... those three pictures aren't supported anymore (even If You're a supporter)
ohh maan why??

but thx
Kyouka
hi, i just have a slight skin problem with sliders. both of these screenshots are 2 different skins

in this picture above the regular single notes and sliders BOTH have black inside of them while in this picture below

the regular single notes have black inside of them but the slider does not.

can anyone tell me how to make it so both the slider and single note have the black inside of them? i can't seem to make the slider have that black inside like the single notes do.

some stuff i tried: ( played around with both skins)
1.) "approachcircle" same in both
2.) "playfield" same in both
3.) "sliderb0" same in both
4.) "hitcircle" same in both
5.) "hitcircleoverlay" same in both
6.) "hitcircleselect" same in both
7.) "lighting" is same in both

**skin.ini text is the exact same in both

thanks to anyone who can help me ^_^
Smilepool

Kyouka wrote:

hi, i just have a slight skin problem with sliders.

in this picture above the regular single notes and sliders BOTH have black inside of them while in this picture below

can anyone tell me how to make it so both the slider and single note have the black inside of them? i can't seem to make the slider have that black inside like the single notes do.

Maybe the black inside is because that area is transparent, don't you think?. I can see that in the first picture the slider color is black, then being the hitcircle transparent its have that color. But in the second picture the slider color isn't black. You can change the slider color of your skin in the ini with the SliderTrackOverride, that force a slider track to a certain colour. I'm pretty sure that's the problem.
Kyouka

Smilepool wrote:

Kyouka wrote:

hi, i just have a slight skin problem with sliders.

Maybe the black inside is because that area is transparent, don't you think?. I can see that in the first picture the slider color is black, then being the hitcircle transparent its have that color. But in the second picture the slider color isn't black. You can change the slider color of your skin in the ini with the SliderTrackOverride, that force a slider track to a certain colour. I'm pretty sure that's the problem.
but like i said" **skin.ini text is the exact same in both "
both of these screenshots are different skins. if that helps at all.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
It must be SliderTrackOverride, nothing else can change colour of slider.

Make sure that in skin.ini it doesn't have "//" before.

And if it still doesn't work, provide both skins or something.
Kyouka

MLGnom wrote:

It must be SliderTrackOverride, nothing else can change colour of slider.

Make sure that in skin.ini it doesn't have "//" before.

And if it still doesn't work, provide both skins or something.
thanks! it was the // before. didn't notice
DaGi

N A L U wrote:

MLGnom wrote:

Let's leave that to the skinner because it's only information for players if there were any updates ("oh, I have v0.5 of skin xxx but there is already v0.73) , but commonly v1.0 should be version of skin where skinner made everything that he/she wanted to do (after all it should have some parts skinned, for example - all gameplay parts).
Thanks.
mugasha
Is the spinner background supposed to be dimmed in-game?
Kyuunei_old

mugasha wrote:

Is the spinner background supposed to be dimmed in-game?
Yes.
dionzz99
What is the source code to:
1. making the spinner glow. i see the default osu! skin can make them.
2. insert another picture to the spinner instead only one spinner-circle. the default osu! skin can make those too
Hatsune Chiyo
What's exactly the taiko-bar-right dimensions? I tried something and it's always stretched in-game..

here-'s in-game look

1280x800 (16:10)
Did that part only works with standard resolution, e.g. 4:3?
Nathanael
Haven't you checked the default template? Its 845x200.

Edit: Kotori <3
Hatsune Chiyo
Just remembered the reason why I made my taiko-bar-right wider than the template:
because of my stretching issue :p

does it means taiko-bar-right isn't widescreen-compatible?
OsuMe65
Maybe it's because that's the default behavior of that element.
Hatsune Chiyo
you mean, filling out the bar by stretching it?
OsuMe65
Possibly

I won't test it out yet since I'm using a 4:3 monitor.
Hatsune Chiyo
Just did it.
211x200px taiko-bar-right.

No, it isn't filling up.. :|
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Hatsune Chiyo wrote:

Just did it.
211x200px taiko-bar-right.

No, it isn't filling up.. :|
What resolution you are using in game?
tokaku
I have a few questions...

Okay so ever since I was a noob, the first non default skin I used was a skin I mixed and matched around because I didn’t like how one skin had one part but I liked this other part etc.
But recently I started altering the skins to more of my likings. Now to the point where I created some parts by myself with the help of a base.
I have a few questions because I’m nervous of calling it a skin I made all by myself and reassurance.

1) Is it okay if my skin resembles other skins?
I’ve seen on osu! Skin forums where people are using the same follow point I see everywhere (the one where it looks like a line) without crediting. Did they make it themselves and it’s okay to have it look almost exactly the same except it’s remade by the poster?
I’ve also noticed that most of my ideas have been made already except maybe slightly different after looking around at other things. Is it okay or do I need to make a full on makeover?

2) How do you make hitsounds?
I know what I want for menu-click, failsound etc. But the ones for play is the ones I’m not sure. Did people take them from other free music sites and alter them? Where/how did they find such sounds? Or do they make them themselves? How is each sound suppose the sound like? (I can’t find a download the default skin apparently. There probably isn’t any. So I can’t have a proper template to figure it out)

That’s pretty much my fears and concerns for it. Any help?
OsuMe65
1) Yes. As long as the element DOESN'T PERFECTLY MATCH another element.
Some of the skinners here ask permission to the original authors for some elements. Some of them replicates an element (like me in some cases) and some of them places an element that he/she didn't create for the sake of his/her skin (illegal here, but not in userpages and signatures).

2) Google is your best friend if you don't like to do the hitsounds in a hard way. The template skin is also your best friend too. Some of us (RARELY... I MEAN IT...) uses a Digital Audio Workstation / DAW in making hitsounds. Best examples of these are FL Studio and Cubase. If you want to know the actual sounds of the default skin, simply go to the first page of this thread. There's 2 download links available; the choice is still yours.
tokaku
Thank you so much now I know what the heck I should do
Hatsune Chiyo

MLGnom wrote:

What resolution you are using in game?
1280x800
deadbeat
just posting to say there's a new mod icon:
[peppy] Add cinema mod. Watch storyboards with no interruptions!
BasedGod

deadbeat wrote:

just posting to say there's a new mod icon:
[peppy] Add cinema mod. Watch storyboards with no interruptions!
I can't find the mod with the default skin :/
deadbeat
the mod is located under Auto
guessing the file name is selection-mod-cinema.png
BasedGod

deadbeat wrote:

the mod is located under Auto
guessing the file name is selection-mod-cinema.png
i think he removed it again or restricted it to Auto. (check the changelog)
deadbeat
wish i was at home so i could do testing on this >_>
show more