forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
dws123

Inori wrote:

The problem is that the scorebar-colour image doesn't fit correctly even if it's aligned with the scorebar-bg image in a photo editor, it's a god awful thing but what you're going to have to do is:
  1. crop the area where the bars are present in the colour image
  2. adjust it on its x and y axis until it fits correctly in game.
OK then, thanks for the help :)
rcmero

Vlerias wrote:

so where to download PSHOP
Buy it. Or get GIMP, which ever's best for you.
Vlerias
oh really?
Thank :D
FunnyFunkyCow_old
~noob question~

I'm trying to make the mod icons in my skin at the moment...
I want to use certain images within the icon, so I created the icons, made it look pretty, etc. etc.
I shrinked it down to 65x65 and now it looks horrid.

How should I create the icons so it won't be as horrid?
Rio-

FunnyFunkyCow wrote:

Try Using 90x90, It's HD Resolution...
OsuMe65

FunnyFunkyCow wrote:

~noob question~

I'm trying to make the mod icons in my skin at the moment...
I want to use certain images within the icon, so I created the icons, made it look pretty, etc. etc.

130x130 for HD
65x65 for SD

Start making mod icons at 130x130
Then resize to 65x65

I hope that helps
Ayesha Altugle
In short HD first before SD
FunnyFunkyCow_old

satriobp wrote:

Try Using 90x90, It's HD Resolution...

OsuMe65 wrote:

130x130 for HD
65x65 for SD
Start making mod icons at 130x130
Then resize to 65x65

I hope that helps

vahn10 wrote:

In short HD first before SD

Ahh, okay, thanks for the help :)
Didn't really have any HD elements, didn't bother with process of enlarging all of them.. thought it'd be weird if I just had HD icons...

but I saw Wallpaper icons and did something similar to it..
Made all my icons 113x80, which was about the max size without having them overlap when selected.
Then just pasted in a ~5:3 wallpaper and it worked like a charm.

Oh, another question, I noticed that the snow is mode-osu-small...
but isn't that also the icon for the mode selection? I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of having this:
Yukyy
It's menu-snow.png now. I think it was the same, but peppy changed it soon after.
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/changelog?v=b20131216.26
Garygoh884
The usage of menu-snow.png looks great on the main menu if you use it right:

rcmero

Yukyy wrote:

It's menu-snow.png now. I think it was the same, but peppy changed it soon after.
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/changelog?v=b20131216.26
If the skin doesn't have a menu-snow.png file, it uses the mode-X-small.png files, otherwise it uses that.
OsuMe65

rcmero wrote:

If the skin doesn't have a menu-snow.png file, it uses the mode-X-small.png files of the current game mode you're playing, otherwise it uses that.
fixed
Mamat
How to upload my skin to forum?
Rio-

willia02 wrote:

How to upload my skin to forum?
You can't upload It directly to the forum... You need A Cloud Service, like puu.sh or Mediafire... And then put the download link when You post Your skin
rcmero
Is skinning done differently on osu!droid? I copied the files for my skin to my phone yet the slider was untouched.
Rei Hakurei
yes, skin.ini is not applied there.
OsuMe65
in osu!droid: only SD elements are tolerated; no skin.ini
pielak213
­
rcmero

OsuMe65 wrote:

in osu!droid: only SD elements are tolerated; no skin.ini
Yes, I know, but the slider ball is still the same.

pielak213 wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1199671
i cri evrytim
wat is this i dont even
jaxter0987
How do I stop these from appearing?

Also, how can I set the spinner to be the current osu default spinner?
I see image files pertaining to this spinner but I don't know what to do to get this to show instead of the orange spinner.
rcmero

jaxter0987 wrote:

Make that a transparent 1x1 PNG.
OsuMe65

jaxter0987 wrote:

I see image files pertaining to this spinner but I don't know what to do to get this to show instead of the orange spinner.
First of all... tick on Prefer new default, found in the Skin tab.

And, you can't stop that 30/10 if you're using the new default. It's only possible if you're using a custom skin with a blank sliderpoint10.png and sliderpoint30.png
jaxter0987

rcmero wrote:

jaxter0987 wrote:

Make that a transparent 1x1 PNG.
Are you referring to sliderscorepoint and sliderscorepoint@2x?

OsuMe65 wrote:

jaxter0987 wrote:

And, you can't stop that 30/10 if you're using the new default. It's only possible if you're using a custom skin with a blank sliderpoint10.png and sliderpoint30.png
Same question, since I don't see sliderpoint30.png and sliderpoint10.png in the new default template. It probably sounds like a stupid question, but I want to be sure before I fiddle around with things.
Nevermind, seems like I needed to add in the files myself. Thanks for the help guys.
Ayesha Altugle
disable new behaviour, then add 1x1 transparent sliderscorepoint10 & 30.png

don't tell me it doesn't work because it is really
OsuMe65
jaxter0987 wrote

OsuMe65 wrote:

jaxter0987 wrote:

2. Same question, since I don't see sliderpoint30.png and sliderpoint10.png in the new default template. It probably sounds like a stupid question, but I want to be sure before I fiddle around with things.

OsuMe65 wrote:

jaxter0987 wrote:

First of all... tick on Prefer new default, found in the Skin tab.
3. Now I guess my gripe is that there's a spinner approach circle that shows up that doesn't show up in the new default even with the option ticked.

1. Actually, if you're using the new default of peppy (the one that is present in the skin selection but doesn't appear in the skins folder), you can't stop them from appearing in the slider.

2. In the template, that isn't found, yes. You have to make it on your own. If you want to get rid of those, make a 1x1 sliderpoint10.png and sliderpoint30.png.

3. If there's spinner-approachcircle.png inside your skin's folder, that will show on the spinner. Make it a blank 1x1 PNG file, if you don't want.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

vahn10 wrote:

disable new behaviour, then add 1x1 transparent sliderscorepoint10 & 30.png

don't tell me it doesn't work because it is really
@vahn10: What a butthurt files you gave. Those files doesn't work, a-hole.
Ayesha Altugle
@OsuMe65
Words
That Message made me cry because you are trying to call me a butthead, please learn this:
NEVER insult others. because I am just a newbie too learning how to skin. Don't tell me you are right and I was wrong.because I GIVE ONLY SOME SUGGESTIONS THAT SOMETIMES LEAD TO RIGHT OR SOMETIMES WRONG. next time you do this AGAIN, I will call a moderator to remove that kind of post.

hope you never do this again and let us stop this fight once and for all
jaxter0987

OsuMe65 wrote:

1. Actually, if you're using the new default of peppy (the one that is present in the skin selection but doesn't appear in the skins folder), you can't stop them from appearing in the slider.

2. In the template, that isn't found, yes. You have to make it on your own. If you want to get rid of those, make a 1x1 sliderpoint10.png and sliderpoint30.png.

3. If there's spinner-approachcircle.png inside your skin's folder, that will show on the spinner. Make it a blank 1x1 PNG file, if you don't want.
1. That's weird because I've always been using the new default of peppy and those 10 and 30 point ticks never popped up. It was only when I downloaded and used the new default template in this thread that those 10 and 30 point ticks popped up.

2. We should fix the template then in my opinion. Ideally, I should be able to see an image file for all things that are customizable so everything can be as simple as making an image with the same dimensions and renaming that image accordingly.

I had already solved my problem but thanks for the info regardless.

Edit: I've been reading through previous pages and its interesting to see just how much I can customize my skin. I haven't read everything yet, but I'm wondering if it's possible to customize the background of the chat.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well but I'm talking about this part.
OsuMe65
simply no

Since the chat background is a part of the osu!UI and can't be customized.
And by the way, that artwork behind the chat? Can't be customized either.
[ Zan ]
Is it possible to change the volume of the hitsounds (asking about what program allows me to edit the hitsounds)? Asking this because 1 of my hitsound file is abnormally quieter than the rest of the hitsounds and I wanted to make it a bit louder.
OsuMe65
Audacity will do.
quaternary
Here's a tip when it comes to sound effect production.
Q: How do I-
A: Audacity.
Jerome
So my skin (for recording by reviz) has been doing this at the scoreboard http://puu.sh/605EQ.jpg

Someone says I need to enable "new style skin behaviour" - this does fix the scoreboard but then disables the custom spinner.
deadbeat
it doesn't disable it, so much as it'll use the other spinner animation :<
but yeah, if you want to fix that scoreboard issue, either use the new style skin animation, or fix the ranking panel element itself
OsuMe65

tuddster wrote:

Here's a tip when it comes to sound effect production.
Q: How do I-
A: Audacity.
He asked for an easy software to adjust the volume of the hitsound; not an easy software for producing hitsounds.

Read the context before posting your so-called "tips", tuddster.
Foneza
.wav should work as hitsounds right? Why can't I get my sounds to change? Is it restriction of not becoming a an osu!supporter or is it the format?
Foneza

ACEsushi wrote:

.wav should work as hitsounds right? Why can't I get my sounds to change? Is it restriction of not becoming a an osu!supporter or is it the format?
Solved it. I didn't enable sound change... =.=
_Ennea
Are there any settings one could change that affect the cursor trail? For example, this map has a neat cursor, but when trying to replicate a similar effect in a skin, it doesn't work. The cursor trail on the map seems to fade faster, with more trail images being drawn in general, and with a different draw mode (not additive). Can I change this behavior in the skin.ini or in another way? I couldn't find anything about it so far.
ivan
x
CsavarNat16

ivantaowns wrote:

What if i jsut want the change the circles? Like i want the circles from one skin and i want to merge it with the other skin i like
You can take hitcircle.png from the skin folder you like to your current skin folder.
ivan
x
show more