forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
TouchFluffyTail

dezno wrote:

Hi, I recently downloaded a skin called Default by Default. Found it in the desc of this video; ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71l07AHFHLQ )
But when I try to use it myself the skin looks like this "in-game" http://prntscr.com/1lfsn0 As you can see it's kinda stretched. The download was a zip file, so I unzipped it into osu!>skins. How can I fix this? thx
It doesn't look stretched at all? It looks totally fine.

dezno wrote:

Update: Tried another skin, this time it's not stretched, it's more shrinked. Screenshots: http://prntscr.com/1lfvk1 , http://prntscr.com/1lfvn2 . I didn't get this error with the other skin.
I think that has something to do with your system's language conflicting with the format of the .ini, I had a friend from Norway run into the same issue and I can't remember how he fixed it.
dezno

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

dezno wrote:

Hi, I recently downloaded a skin called Default by Default. Found it in the desc of this video; ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71l07AHFHLQ )
But when I try to use it myself the skin looks like this "in-game" http://prntscr.com/1lfsn0 As you can see it's kinda stretched. The download was a zip file, so I unzipped it into osu!>skins. How can I fix this? thx
It doesn't look stretched at all? It looks totally fine.

dezno wrote:

Update: Tried another skin, this time it's not stretched, it's more shrinked. Screenshots: http://prntscr.com/1lfvk1 , http://prntscr.com/1lfvn2 . I didn't get this error with the other skin.
I think that has something to do with your system's language conflicting with the format of the .ini, I had a friend from Norway run into the same issue and I can't remember how he fixed it.
Trust me, it's really stretched on the one skin and minimized on the other skin or w/e. You should be able to see a clear difference from my screenshots and the guys video. I have a 1920x1080 resolution and the whole thing is stretched like sh#t. Also, when I put it to the default osu skin it was stretched and I had to uninstall my skins to have it normal again.
Topic Starter
MLGnom

dezno wrote:

Was asked to post my question her, so just copypasting my post. Apparently it was in the wrong forum and I was told to try to ash here:

Edit: Please watch the video, then the screenshot to compare.

Well, video was posted almost year ago. Same with the skin that wasn't updated since that time. This year there was a lot of changes in skinning, including changes in some osu!mania options. You can try to fix it on your own.

Find in this skin files called 4k.ini 6k.ini and 7k.ini (well should be more of them but we will leave that).
Open desired option file (4k for example) and find line :

ColumnWidth:56,56,56,56

And edit it in the way that you need. If is too stretched lower values to ColumnWidth:50,50,50,50 or less. Save and select skin in options again.
aliciasimoned
Somebody needs to help me with this skin of Rozen Maiden. help please.
Topic Starter
MLGnom

aliciasimoned wrote:

Somebody needs to help me with this skin of Rozen Maiden. help please.
What kind of help you need? o.o
Some problems with incorrectly working skin parts?
TouchFluffyTail

MLGnom wrote:

Well, video was posted almost year ago. Same with the skin that wasn't updated since that time. This year there was a lot of changes in skinning, including changes in some osu!mania options. You can try to fix it on your own.

Find in this skin files called 4k.ini 6k.ini and 7k.ini (well should be more of them but we will leave that).
Open desired option file (4k for example) and find line :

ColumnWidth:56,56,56,56

And edit it in the way that you need. If is too stretched lower values to ColumnWidth:50,50,50,50 or less. Save and select skin in options again.
Note that mania notes bug out if you change their widths (which I think is what he's talking about, since his screenshot is totally fine), if you play 7k then play 4k the 4k notes will be super thin. Using non standard height notes just makes this worse. The only way to fix this is to restart osu and then not go into any other modes that change the widths.
aliciasimoned
i need help making the whole skin. Do I use pictures or something like that for the skin?

The skin i want to do is a tribute to the anime, Rozen Maiden, Rozen Maiden Traumend, Rozen Maiden Ouverture, and the current one that is airing Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen.
TouchFluffyTail

aliciasimoned wrote:

i need help making the whole skin. Do I use pictures or something like that for the skin?
You need to read the entire opening post.
aliciasimoned

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

aliciasimoned wrote:

You need to read the entire opening post.
I dont know about that and i need a collaboration partner to help me with this skin.
Heibel

aliciasimoned wrote:

I dont know about that and i need a collaboration partner to help me with this skin.[/size]

t/51694/start=0 <--- Click and read
dezno
Hey guys, this is how it looks with normal skin: http://prntscr.com/1lsg39 Trust me, it's more stretched than normal. Compare it to my other screenshots.
OsuMe65
it's the skinner's preference
Dexus
Does anyone have the menu-button-background.png for the new default skin? It's not in the template t/129191/ Not sure where to ask, I posted that it wasn't in there but I don't think anyone is going to respond in that thread.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
I would post it, but I'm at work right now. Will do that after returning to home. (but probably someone will be faster than me. ;).

You know what? Today I will test, select and edit/correct parts for new default template. Official template was posted in April contains only gameplay part (with few issues...). Now we have middle of August, yet still no updates.
Also, will correct old default template since some parts were removed from use.

So there will be 2 templates. Old one and New one. :3
Dexus
Sounds great, thanks so much
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Added new style template, a little updated with new parts, little mixed with old one to fill all missing parts.
Updated old style template by removing all parts removed from actual use, added missing parts to fit it to new skin.
Downloads in first post.

Probably missed something. If something missing is found I will add it... later. ;)\

It's me or custom particles doesn't work? o.o
TouchFluffyTail

MLGnom wrote:

Added new style template, a little updated with new parts, little mixed with old one to fill all missing parts.
Updated old style template by removing all parts removed from actual use, added missing parts to fit it to new skin.
Downloads in first post.

Probably missed something. If something missing is found I will add it... later. ;)\

It's me or custom particles doesn't work? o.o
Editing the hit particles works, but you HAVE to change the paired hit×.png aswell or it doesn't use the edited particle×.png.

Also I looked over the new template and I don't think you missed anything other than selection-mod-random.png but even I don't have that file.
Topic Starter
MLGnom

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

Editing the hit particles works, but you HAVE to change the paired hit×.png aswell or it doesn't use the edited particle×.png.
Oh... Now it's works.
This is what you get when you only test new parts. ;P
aliciasimoned
My Computer wont allow me to make a skin
Dexus
You're missing these

drum-hitsounds
aliciasimoned

Dexus wrote:

You're missing these

drum-hitsounds
no for real my computer cant do it
OsuMe65
optimum lags or insufficient RAM, i... guess?
aliciasimoned

OsuMe65 wrote:

it is actually both mosty lag and RAM what can i do about it
TouchFluffyTail

aliciasimoned wrote:

OsuMe65 wrote:

Learn to work with what you have or get something better. Your only other option is to look for someone who is currently doing commissions, of which no one is doing so in this thread.
aliciasimoned

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

aliciasimoned wrote:

Learn to work with what you have or get something better. Your only other option is to look for someone who is currently doing commissions, of which no one is doing so in this thread.
where do i go to from someone who is currently do comissions
Oyatsu
OK. Here you go!
aliciasimoned

Oyatsu wrote:

OK. Here you go!
will you help make my skin
Dj Ali

MLGnom wrote:

Thanks. Didn't noticed that minor mistake. ^^'
SeaRhapz
Awesome
xelivous
I'm currently trying to make some fancier hitscores for mania mode, but am having some troubles due some of the default settings.

(failing on purpose to show all the different images, or at least trying to)

As you can see, the hacks I use to get around the current limitations (as I know them) have some weird side-effects. Also it only works in a single mode at a time; you have to replace the hitscore images if you change modes.

So basically my questions are:
  1. In the mania-specific ini files (4k.ini, 7k.ini, etc), is there a way to specify a horizontal offset for the "ScorePosition"? Everything i've tried has failed to parse, so I assume it's not implemented.
  2. Is there a way to disable hitscore animations in a skin.ini type of file? Just some way to stop it from being transformed/rotated after creation like it's doing in the video.
And if neither of those features are implemented, would the proper procedure be to make a new thread for it in the "Feature Requests" subforum?
TouchFluffyTail

xelivous wrote:

So basically my questions are:
  1. In the mania-specific ini files (4k.ini, 7k.ini, etc), is there a way to specify a horizontal offset for the "ScorePosition"? Everything i've tried has failed to parse, so I assume it's not implemented.
  2. Is there a way to disable hitscore animations in a skin.ini type of file? Just some way to stop it from being transformed/rotated after creation like it's doing in the video.
And if neither of those features are implemented, would the proper procedure be to make a new thread for it in the "Feature Requests" subforum?
1. Unfortunately not, you can only specify global vertical placement
2. Again unfortunately not.

Mania skinning is incredibly severely limited.

Feature request would be where you'd ask, although I believe there's a general thread for all the things that need to be in mania skinning in there already, though I forget what it's named.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Yay, wrong icon.

Let's fix it. Again. ;_;
Garygoh884
I tried to use the sprite taiko-barline.png file but it doesn't work. I think this skin part was ignored all the time.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Probably something changed with skin update... well need to remove it now.
Bl4ckk
Ok, I just wrote a post but someone said me to come there xD
So, this was the post:
Hi all! First, I'm sorry if I've a bad english, I'm italian and that's not my first language... I don't use translator cause I know it fails a lot <.<
However, I've a questions about the kiai time.
I'm doing a dubstep beatmap, I'm new in this.
You know there's the drop, and I wanted to add kiai time for that... But when I use it, there's only once the fountain and no flashing colours.
I saw dubstep beatmaps and there were a lot of flashing colours, just try "Fire Hive - Knife Party" and see by yourself.
I want to know how can I add flashing colours or any animation at the kiai time.
I tried also to put a video but it doesn't work, and in the other beatmaps, there's only an image...
By the way, I already searched on the forum but I didn't find anything, maybe I'm blind or maybe I'm just a n00b beatmapper ?-?
And I searched on Google too. Nothing.
Can you help me?
TouchFluffyTail

Dasheroo wrote:

Ok, I just wrote a post but someone said me to come there xD
So, this was the post:
Hi all! First, I'm sorry if I've a bad english, I'm italian and that's not my first language... I don't use translator cause I know it fails a lot <.<
However, I've a questions about the kiai time.
I'm doing a dubstep beatmap, I'm new in this.
You know there's the drop, and I wanted to add kiai time for that... But when I use it, there's only once the fountain and no flashing colours.
I saw dubstep beatmaps and there were a lot of flashing colours, just try "Fire Hive - Knife Party" and see by yourself.
I want to know how can I add flashing colours or any animation at the kiai time.
I tried also to put a video but it doesn't work, and in the other beatmaps, there's only an image...
By the way, I already searched on the forum but I didn't find anything, maybe I'm blind or maybe I'm just a n00b beatmapper ?-?
And I searched on Google too. Nothing.
Can you help me?
This isn't really a skinning inquiry, the beatmap in question uses storyboard effects and lots of kiai on/offs to pull off its look, and If videos don't show for you globally you might want to check your options to see if you disabled them.

My advice would be to open that map up in the editor and study how the storyboard is used then experiment in your own map.
Bl4ckk
I tried, but I only found kiai time activated, nothing about flashing colours T.T
Bl4ckk
How can I use things in the left in the "design" tab?? I tried with fade but nothing happened

Edit: Ok, I tried to press "Colour" and than to add a keyframe. It asks to choose a colour, I do it. Than I press ok. I try to test, nothing happens.
TouchFluffyTail

Dasheroo wrote:

How can I use things in the left in the "design" tab?? I tried with fade but nothing happened

Edit: Ok, I tried to press "Colour" and than to add a keyframe. It asks to choose a colour, I do it. Than I press ok. I try to test, nothing happens.
Read this thread; t/46111

If you need any further help you should try searching the storyboarding subforum; 20
Bl4ckk
Oh God, finally!! Thank you man, I love you<3
show more