Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Rei Hakurei

[ Y P ] wrote:

thx MLGnom
also another question,
does "Epilepsy Warning Message" editable ? nevermind this one, already got an answer :)
also what is Circularmetre.png ?

i think it's not skinable, and it's the progress bar that shows "PIE" type
OsuMe65

Rei Hakurei wrote:

it is NOT SKINNABLE for sure
kona x taros
I'm hoping skinnable :roll:
Kagamin3-chan

OsuMe65 wrote:

Rei Hakurei wrote:

it is NOT SKINNABLE for sure
it IS skinnable but only at the test build :P

Rei Hakurei

G4R4Su wrote:

even mode-X-small on beatmap listing and star3 (turned into star2) lol,

maybe i'll test skin osu-direct.png before expires *runs*
OsuMe65

G4R4Su wrote:

oh supporter feature
Yukki
that's kind of sad news :(
well i hope it will be skinnable for the commercial client soon since peppy put it on the skin template
Topic Starter
MLGnom

[ Y P ] wrote:

that's kind of sad news :(
well i hope it will be skinnable for the commercial client soon since peppy put it on the skin template
First, peppy haven't put them into official template. (yet, but nobody can confirm that he will do it someday)
Second, you can do a lot more in test build than in normal relase, so if you are testing skin or skins parts do that in actual build. You can never be sure what will be added in next upadate.
OsuMe65

MLGnom wrote:

First, peppy haven't put them into official template. (yet, but nobody can confirm that he will do itnpredictable someday)
Second, you can do a lot more in test build than in normal relase, so if you are testing skin or skins parts do that in actual build. You can never be sure what will be added in next upadate.
to avoid long talk, let's make this short:
new skinning elements are unpredictable
Saoji
Hi !

I would like to know if it's possible/how to make the light on a basic lighting.png shorter in the game?
Like...I like the light, but it stays ...forever and can be confusing, so i'd like to make it shorter. is that possible?

Thanks !
Heibel

Yales wrote:

Hi !

I would like to know if it's possible/how to make the light on a basic lighting.png shorter in the game?
Like...I like the light, but it stays ...forever and can be confusing, so i'd like to make it shorter. is that possible?

Thanks !
You can make it a bit more transparrent, That works for me atleast
Saoji

Heibel wrote:

You can make it a bit more transparrent, That works for me atleast
I tried, it's quite better, but not really what I want. I saw in the osu-template that there's a lot lighting.png, (like lighting-1.png etc.) I wonder if it's possible to do it with frames then. I tried to put several pictures of the hit lighting, but it's not working... i_i
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Yales wrote:

I tried, it's quite better, but not really what I want. I saw in the osu-template that there's a lot lighting.png, (like lighting-1.png etc.) I wonder if it's possible to do it with frames then. I tried to put several pictures of the hit lighting, but it's not working... i_i
It's only to make animation of lighting. We can't change the time of how long it will be displayed on screen. :/
Saoji

MLGnom wrote:

It's only to make animation of lighting. We can't change the time of how long it will be displayed on screen. :/
Even if I make some totally transparent frame in this animation? ... Well I guess it can't take the color of the circle if I do this that way..

It's ok, thank you very much for your answers.

I appreciate :).
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Yales wrote:

MLGnom wrote:

Even if I make some totally transparent frame in this animation? ... Well I guess it can't take the color of the circle if I do this that way..

It's ok, thank you very much for your answers.

I appreciate :).
Yes, animation doesn't extend the length of lighting. It simply have it constant. More frames = faster animation.
SigLogicalMaxiss
I made an animation for my Back button but it's going too fast,is there any way to make it slow? Adding more frames doesn't seem to work..
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Use "AnimationFramerate: X" frames in skin.ini. But this option will also affect any other animations if you have them.
Or to make animation slower add frames in other way. "play-skip-0" and "play-skip-1" is using same picture number 1, "play-skip-2" and "play-skip-3"is using same picture number 2 etc.
If it's still too fast add more frames as "frame 1" "frame 2" etc.
OsuMe65

MLGnom wrote:

Use "AnimationFramerate: X" frames in skin.ini. But this option will also affect any other animations if you have them.
Or to make animation slower add frames in other way. "play-skip-0" and "play-skip-1" is using same picture number 1, "play-skip-2" and "play-skip-3"is using same picture number 2 etc.
("Summary"):

AnimationFramrerate: (insert number here)
- defines a constant framerate for any animated elements (skin.ini option)
eg. AnimationFramerate: 20 (every animation will go 20 frames)
Note: the lower the number, the slower the animation

if still too fast

Repeating Frames
- by using a single image for 2 frames, the animation will go slower than usual, but the consequence is: skin size will increase
eg. Image1 = play-skip-0 and play-skip-1, Image2 = play-skip-2 and play-skip-3

if still too fast

use a single image for 3 frames
Klaudia Klose-KL-
Great tutorial. Can I translate this into Chinese for my friend? I won't release it on any other places.
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Klaudia Klose-KL- wrote:

Great tutorial. Can I translate this into Chinese for my friend? I won't release it on any other places.
Sure, go ahead. I don't mind if you will give it to someone else. It's good to have it translated into other languages.
SigLogicalMaxiss

OsuMe65 wrote:

MLGnom wrote:

("Summary"):

AnimationFramrerate: (insert number here)
- defines a constant framerate for any animated elements (skin.ini option)
eg. AnimationFramerate: 20 (every animation will go 20 frames)
Note: the lower the number, the slower the animation

if still too fast

Repeating Frames
- by using a single image for 2 frames, the animation will go slower than usual, but the consequence is: skin size will increase
eg. Image1 = play-skip-0 and play-skip-1, Image2 = play-skip-2 and play-skip-3

if still too fast

use a single image for 3 frames
I did what has been said,8 single image with 8 frame each,it still doesn't work :cry:
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Can you provide it for me? I want to check what's wrong.
Zero Black_old

xXDoNiXx wrote:

you have to include the black bar on the top cause if you don't add the black bar osu goes LSD XD

options-background.png example without the black bar on the top:

i hope this could answer your question :)

Can you gift me link download :D
Rei Hakurei

Zero Black wrote:

xXDoNiXx wrote:

you have to include the black bar on the top cause if you don't add the black bar osu goes LSD XD

options-background.png example without the black bar on the top:

i hope this could answer your question :)

Can you gift me link download :D
it's not supported anymore,
options-background, match-background, lobby-background, osudirect-background are replaced by menu-background.jpg which is only for supporter
FunnyFunkyCow_old
Not too sure why, but my ranking-retry isn't working and instead it's using my pause-retry.... This applies for all of my skins..
And ranking-replay/ ranking-back isn't working either... Anyone have any clue why?
OsuMe65
try to deselect "Prefer new default when skin behaviour (animations etc.)" in the Skin tab (Options)
FunnyFunkyCow_old

OsuMe65 wrote:

try to deselect "Prefer new default when skin behaviour (animations etc.)" in the Skin tab (Options)
It worked!

Another question based off of this one though, I like the spinner when this is checked A LOT more than when it's checked off... is there a way to use only the spinner?
Rei Hakurei

FunnyFunkyCow wrote:

OsuMe65 wrote:

It worked!

Another question based off of this one though, I like the spinner when this is checked A LOT more than when it's checked off... is there a way to use only the spinner?
spinner-top
spinner-bottom
spinner-middle (time limit)
spinner-middle2

p/2190350/

edit: i didn't know about that o.o
TouchFluffyTail
If you have the new default skin option disabled osu will use the old spinner style even if you have the new spinner elements in your folder. If you want the new spinner you have to use the new style.
FunnyFunkyCow_old

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

If you have the new default skin option disabled osu will use the old spinner style even if you have the new spinner elements in your folder. If you want the new spinner you have to use the new style.
Oh ok, and aside from a few things in the ranking, are there any other changes in the new style?
TouchFluffyTail
Well I'm not entirely sure what the option toggle reverts, the skin update changed a lot of things. Hit circles fade differently, slider track points animate into place, judgement hits (300 100 50 miss) draw and decay differently and have an animated particle effect, the spinner was completely redesigned, the HP bar changed in style, and the countdown also completely changed.

The rank menu buttons being unable to be skinned with the new skin was an old bug I believe? I forget since I never really messed with it, you should try using the prefix of 'pause-' on the buttons instead and see if that works. 'pause-back' 'pause-replay' and such.

Edit: this of course means with the NEW default style enabled.
FunnyFunkyCow_old

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

Well I'm not entirely sure what the option toggle reverts, the skin update changed a lot of things. Hit circles fade differently, slider track points animate into place, judgement hits (300 100 50 miss) draw and decay differently and have an animated particle effect, the spinner was completely redesigned, the HP bar changed in style, and the countdown also completely changed.

The rank menu buttons being unable to be skinned with the new skin was an old bug I believe? I forget since I never really messed with it, you should try using the prefix of 'pause-' on the buttons instead and see if that works. 'pause-back' 'pause-replay' and such.

Edit: this of course means with the NEW default style enabled.
Read a bunch of the older posts, I have a general gist of it. Extreme emphasis on general.
It just looks strange because I made the pause-retry on the left side, so on the ranking, there'd be a retry in the ranking panel xD
Thanks~

edit: Pretty sure this is old news, but when you have two monitors with new style, you can't move your cursor out without alt-tabbing :P
FunnyFunkyCow_old
Found this online, is it possible to change the main screen icons? (the big Osu! button/ play/ edit/ options/ the icons in the top right/ online users/ show chat)
TouchFluffyTail
That's a screenshot of an old main menu design, and no, it's not possible to skin anything on the main menu other than the background. (which is supporter only)
ScarletFrost
Is there a way to slow down the menu-back-(0,1,2,etc...) gif? My gif is going by way to fast and looks bad.
Topic Starter
MLGnom

ScarletFrost wrote:

Is there a way to slow down the menu-back-(0,1,2,etc...) gif? My gif is going by way to fast and looks bad.
The only way to slow down menu-back is adding "AnimationFramerate: <number of frames per second>" to [General] part in skin.ini .
Lower value will slow it down.
Example :
AnimationFramerate: 3 - will load 3 frames of animation per second.

Remember that it wll affect any other animations (excluding slider ball).
ScarletFrost
Why does my Skip button and back button going at different speeds if they have same AnimationFramerate:?
Would it be, because of amount of frames you have for each set of picture?
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Correct.
For example :
If your skip button have 12 frames, menu button have 28 and you have set "AnimationFramerate : 4" skip will only take 3 second to make loop and for menu back it will take 7 seconds.
ScarletFrost
Thanks for the help <3
Saft i Glas
Thanks for the help :)
show more