forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Yuki-kun

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

halp halp halp
I can't force osu! to use high resolution elements!! osu! keeps modifying the osu!Admin.cfg everytime it starts up. any ideas?
Any error screenshot? @@
DarkLance
how to change the color to the play-warningarrow? in the skin's folder the arrow is red, but then appears blue.... why? I suppose it is possible to change the color in the skin.ini

here is an example:

how is the arrow

how appears

sorry for the bad pictures, but I think the point is clear :P
jemhuntr
@Lance5 the play-warningarrow was recolored since the last last last update. We won't know how to change it back until peppy releases the template skin.

yuki-kun, what? there are no error messages. it's just that osu! rewrites osu!Admin.cfg and overwrites the HighResolution setting everytime I start osu!.
Jackyyy

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

it's just that osu! rewrites osu!Admin.cfg and overwrites the HighResolution setting everytime I start osu!.
Tried making the file Read-Only in the properties?
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Are you sure you are editing it BEFORE running osu! ? If you have osu! running in background and you edit config file, then restart osu! it will be replaced with last settings from game.
Rei Hakurei

MLGnom wrote:

Are you sure you are editing it BEFORE running osu! ? If you have osu! running in background and you edit config file, then restart osu! it will be replaced with last settings from game.
addition: osu only stores data during exit program process, so if it was terminated forcefully, it won't overwrite the data. (osu!.username.cfg, osu!.db, scores.db, etc)
and only reads data during initiation process (which requires you to restart as he said)
jemhuntr
lol MLGnom I actually kept on trying to change it that way XD haha, okay I'm dumb XD

edit: another question: can all elements have a @2x graphics?
Ginky
The template skin provided in this post no longer matches the defaut skin of the recent versions.
Yuki-kun

bayun lan wrote:

The template skin provided in this post no longer matches the defaut skin of the recent versions.
We already know that and still waiting for peppy. xD
Ayesha Altugle

Lance5 wrote:

how to change the color to the play-warningarrow? in the skin's folder the arrow is red, but then appears blue.... why? I suppose it is possible to change the color in the skin.ini

here is an example:

how is the arrow

how appears

sorry for the bad pictures, but I think the point is clear :P
will merge to my topic and duplicated
Yukki

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

lol MLGnom I actually kept on trying to change it that way XD haha, okay I'm dumb XD

edit: another question: can all elements have a @2x graphics?
afaik almost all element can have HD version of it.
except : score-0.png(up to 9), sliderpoint10.png, sliderpoint30.png, and umm... most of background element (?) e.g: spinner-background.png, matchsetup-background.png
cmiiw

edit : lol didnt realize it until now
SPOILER

Yuki-kun wrote:

Actually it doesn't have any limit for the size of any image in this game. That limit is only used to make sure it shouldn't break the game interface.
In my case, i still use a cursortrail 60x60.

Edit: LoL, your 499th post and my 466th post xD

MLGnom wrote:

No, it isn't limited. If you want 80x80px do it, if you want more...do it. ^^;

But remember "cursor trail" have different behaviour if you add "cursor middle". If you are making large cursor trail together with cursor middle it requires more powerful PC to looks good (because it can heavily reduce fps).

thx for this useful information
Rei Hakurei
isn't everything able to have it's 2x ?
OsuMe65

Rei Hakurei wrote:

isn't everything able to have it's 2x ?
everything has...
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Well, since "default" template has be released (at least half of it ^^;) I can slowly continue with updates. :3
Jackyyy
Was there any change to the skin.ini cause none of my skins will load its settings except for the name and author?
jemhuntr

MLGnom wrote:

Well, since "default" template has be released (at least half of it ^^;) I can slowly continue with updates. :3
what what where where

you mean the new template skin???
Yuki-kun

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

MLGnom wrote:

what what where where

you mean the new template skin???
t/129191
:p
Rei Hakurei
sadly i didn't see the skin.ini update :(
asking him on happy or privately would be the better way imo,
pixeldesu

Rei Hakurei wrote:

sadly i didn't see the skin.ini update :(
asking him on happy or privately would be the better way imo,
I don't know if I got it right...but I think the new template skin has no skin.ini, everything needed is handled by the game itself now.
jemhuntr
gosh, I didn't see it because it was stickied. although sadly, there's still no skin.ini.
AussieEvil
I think there are some things in skin.ini that are kinda required so that it does all the new skin stuff even when "emulate old behavior" is on...
Rei Hakurei

AussieEvil wrote:

I think there are some things in skin.ini that are kinda required so that it does all the new skin stuff even when "emulate old behavior" is on...
like Tinting Selection Cursor on Pause Menu?
jemhuntr
WAT
jemhuntr
How to center osu!mania stage.
osu!mania Stage Centering Guide!
osu!mania Stage Centering Guide!~
Below is the method to acquire the ColumnStart values to center the osu!mania stage. This method works for all skins and for all screen resolutions, be it windowed or full screen.

1. We'll use this equation: columnStart = ((480 / (screenHeight / screenWidth)) / 2) - (columnSum / 2)
  1. columnStart - value that we will put on each nK.ini file.
  2. screenHeight - height of your screen in pixels (or height of the osu! window if you play windowed)
  3. screenWidth - width of your screen in pixels (or width of the osu! window if you play windowed)
  4. columnSum - sum of all the values on the ColumnWidth field.
Note: Since we're dividing the screen height with the screen width, any values of the same ratio would make the same answer. This means that all 16:9 screen resolutions would have the same columnStart values (given that the columnSum is constant). Same goes with other screen ratios.

2. In order to get the value of columnStart, you need to know the values of each variable (remember that these values may vary depending on the key you're currently calculating). Let's have an example for this guide. Let's say I use a custom windowed resolution of 1200px by 700px. Below are the column sizes of the stages inside my nK.ini files.
  1. 4K: ColumnWidth: 46, 46, 46, 46
  2. 5K: ColumnWidth: 46, 46, 50, 46, 46
  3. 6K: ColumnWidth: 42, 42, 42, 42, 42, 42
  4. 7K: ColumnWidth: 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40
  5. 8K: ColumnWidth: 38, 38, 38, 38, 38, 38, 38, 38
3. Let's start with 4K. The values we have now are:
  1. screenHeight: 700
  2. screenWidth: 1200
  3. columnSum: 46 + 46 + 46 + 46 = 184
We now have all values needed in order to solve for columnStart. Let's substitute the values to the equation:
columnStart = ((480 / (700 / 1200)) / 2) - (184 / 2)
columnStart = ((480 / 0.58333) / 2) - (92)
columnStart = (822.86 / 2) - 92
columnStart = (411.43) - 92
columnStart = 319.43
columnStart319
since we can't use decimals for the columnStart value, we have to round it off to the nearest integer.

Now that we know columnStart, we can go ahead and write the value inside 4K.ini.

4. Repeat the process for all the other keys. If you try to solve for the other values using the same situation, you should get the following values:
  1. 5K: 294
  2. 6K: 285
  3. 7K: 271
  4. 8K: 259
5. After getting all the values and putting them into their respective ini files, reload your skin. Now go ahead and play some osu!mania and notice how your stage is now perfectly centered on your screen!

Note: Due to the rounding off of values, the stage may be a bit off by 1 pixel to the left or right. If you followed the instructions above correctly, I assure you that the stage will never be off by 2 or more pixels from the center.
XPJ38
Is it just me or the new follow points animation is always disabled when using a custom skin, even if "Prefer new default" is ticked?
jemhuntr
yeah, it is disabled.
XPJ38
edit: Damn, too bad it is, that's my favorite animation ;_;
primrose
Template only have like 50% the elements that's skinnable according to this http://blog.ppy.sh/post/46924535831/thi ... -in-osu-13 ;_;
Yukki
how do i fix this ?
i tried to make ranking-panel full-screen, but as you can see there is a little space between ranking-panel and title box
i tried to use 1280*800 and 1440*900 even 1440*1000 but still same :(
Topic Starter
MLGnom
This is actually a minor bug. If you really need to fix that, just make those 3-4 pixels transparent from above (leave it's actual size).
Will3x
Can anyone help me here? :P

when I create a png image with illustrator, lets say a mod icon, there always seems to be a weird white pixelated border around it when i eventually use it in game..
Do I need to change the dpi resolution? any colour settings? I dont really know much about this stuff

I can post some screenshots if anyone wants to see once i get back home!
boat
You should rather toss in a skin element in particular that has this issue.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Hmm... There were few cases where this happened. I think it's something with saving options or picture itself. When I opened one with GIMP and just saved, it still had some white pixels, but way less (after coping picture into new image and saving it, white pixels disappeared). So you should check your settings, but to be honest I don't know what is causing this. :/
Will3x
I think i got it fixed! but thanks anyways :)
Yuki-kun
Anyone here has idea about this error? (the back button)

OsuMe65

doesn't happen to me
even in native reso...

inb4 400th post
NatSumE_KuN
..thanks..this helped me a lot.. :D
Yuki-kun

OsuMe65 wrote:

doesn't happen to me
even in native reso...

inb4 400th post
In my case, only 1 of my custom skin has that, another is not.
That's strange, cause i can't find any reason :/
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Yuki-kun wrote:

Are you sure, that you haven't changed one of these in skin?
mode-mania-small
mode-osu-small
mode-taiko-small
mode-fruits-small
Because I don't see any of this on your "selection-mode".
You could make something that I'm doing often, taking one random part of skin and rename it to other to test if it work or where it's used.
Yuki-kun

MLGnom wrote:

Yuki-kun wrote:

Are you sure, that you haven't changed one of these in skin?
mode-mania-small
mode-osu-small
mode-taiko-small
mode-fruits-small
Because I don't see any of this on your "selection-mode".
You could make something that I'm doing often, taking one random part of skin and rename it to other to test if it work or where it's used.
I'm pretty sure that i didn't touch to those part.
This skin is still normally before the biggest update that changed whole default skin.
Also, if i used those part with new default part skin, nothing happen.
I can upload whole my folder for testing.
show more