forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
jemhuntr
i can remember myself requesting for a different mania hp bar, since i use a 1366x768 hp bar so it appears on the bottom in standard. I'm just not that sure if I actually requested that or that was just an imagination
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Standard skin parts done at 70%... if someone is bored and can make/find more example pictures for parts... that would be really helpful. <3
Garygoh884

Now you can use Taiko font for title and author by adding taiko.ttf to your skin folder.
Rei Hakurei

Garygoh884 wrote:

Now you can use Taiko font for title and author by adding taiko.ttf to your skin folder.
nice, i like this feature :3
Garygoh884

Don't forget the new modifier (osu!mania only) Fade In. Add the file selection-mod-fadein.png to your skin folder.

What I call this modifier is Sudden, like in StepMania and O2JAM.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Ah, yes. Thank you. I didn't follow after last week updates.

I'm here to explain skin parts, not game mechanics. ^^;

Edit :

Finally finished Standard skin elements.

1. Introduction - done!
2. Basic - 75% - Need to add few things.
3. Skin.ini - done!
4. Standard skin elements - done! - still need grammar/style corrections, but I will take care of them after finishing everything.
5. Catch the beat elements - 0% - Not many elements. Will do that tomorrow.
6. Taiko elements - 75%
7. osu!mania skin elements - 50% - need to update it and explain properly.
8. Creating .osk file - done!
9. Posting a skin - 75% - need to add few things, explain it a little better.
x1. Sounds - To be added in the future.
x2. Installing skins - To be added in future.

Meh, I'm going to sleep now...
Rumerjose
Thanks for this nuclear hot contribution

My friend is gonna appreciate it :D
HakuNoKaemi
someone should remove the nuke
Rei Hakurei

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

someone should remove the nuke
umm why you didn't revert the icon into then ? since some subforum allows icon changes by non-staffs.
OsuMe65
a nuke is hot according to him...
Garygoh884
I had made a discovery involving the osu!mania .ini files. This discovery involves the numbers of ColumnWidth (CW) and ColumnStart (CS).

These numbers deals with how many pixels on a 640x480 screen. When you're playing a osu!mania map on a W x H screen,

The left side of the play area starts at CS*H/480 and the right side ends at (CS+Sum of CWs)*H/480).

I made that discovery after realizing when I play on a 4:3 window with the settings CS =440 and (sum of CWs) = 200, the right side of the play area was just at the right side of the window.

The maximum width for the left stage sprite is 738 pixels, which covers the left side of the play area when you set ColumnWidth to 460.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
HD skinning is here!

peppy wrote:

Double resolution skinning is now supported. Simply provide files with @2x suffix as you normally would. You still need to provide a standard resolution version too.

Example:
hit300g.png (300x300)
hit300g@2x.png (600x600)

High resolution sprites are used for resolutions 1600x and higher.
Soon I will continue with updates, please wait patiently. <3
jemhuntr

MLGnom wrote:

HD skinning is here!

peppy wrote:

Double resolution skinning is now supported. Simply provide files with @2x suffix as you normally would. You still need to provide a standard resolution version too.

Example:
hit300g.png (300x300)
hit300g@2x.png (600x600)

High resolution sprites are used for resolutions 1600x and higher.
Soon I will continue with updates, please wait patiently. <3
<3 but is there still no way to skin multiple resolution backgrounds? that would solve screen ratio issues.
Topic Starter
MLGnom

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

<3 but is there still no way to skin multiple resolution backgrounds? that would solve screen ratio issues.
Why would you need this? You know there is few different aspect ratios and if you would like to make background for every of them it would take some pointless space... especially if someone is using only one.

Just make it 1366x768 and you will cover every standard aspect ratio, because on lower width (4:3) pictures are cut from both sides.

Before someone tell me "But my bg doesn't fit for that Aspect ratio but fit perfectly on another!". So do/use a bg that will fit to every resolution or just make another version of skin specially for that ratio...
Jenny
Question: Is there any way to properly turn an SD skin (normal resolution) into a HD one (doubled resolution) without the .psd files? (Talking about the image files here, not the skin.ini)
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Jenny wrote:

Question: Is there any way to properly turn an SD skin (normal resolution) into a HD one (doubled resolution) without the .psd files? (Talking about the image files here, not the skin.ini)
It's kinda hard to make it the same as SD without original work file.
You can try to resize it with correct interpolation. (As I know people recommend " Bicubic Smoother" for enlarging, I personally prefer using Lanczos interpolation). You should try few others and use the one that fit you most. If your image is a little blurred after resizing,you can use "unsharp mask" filter.
Remember that the smaller picture is, the harder to enlarge it smoothly.
Jenny
Could you add that (more worded out) to the opening post? As of current happenings, I think it'd come in handy for more people.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Sure, in few days I'm going to continue with updates (probably this weekend), so I will add that. :3
AussieEvil
Now is there a skinnable font for the song title bar in Taiko mode?
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Yup, rename your font as "Taiko.ttf" and add to your skin folder.
AussieEvil
Thanks for the advice:
XK2238
my osu keeps hanging when I play a map in Taiko and then quit the map with my custom Taiko font (in which I renamed it to Taiko.ttf, of course), am I doing it wrong? ?_?
also: the font DIDN'T load at all too. :c
Topic Starter
MLGnom
What is your original font name and extension that you are trying to use?
Rei Hakurei
maybe because "the font name (not file name) contains UTF-8" characters and/or the extension is not originally TTF.
(i need to suspend my 1st and 4th skin taiko.ttf because of that)
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Yup that's why I have asked for extension name.
Picked up few different fonts that I have. Only TTF works. OTF doesn't load at all.

If you convert it in some way (I have used this site as it was first in google ^^; ) font should work. :3

Still need to test few of them but most common should work that way.
Aaoi
Not sure where to post this but I'll try here, I'm trying to make a Mania Skin and I'm doing ok I think but I can't seem to find the right name to name my Miss note "mania-hit0" doesn't work, I've tried looking at other Mania skins and noticed theirs don't work either, I really don't wanna leave my skin unfinished
Any ideas? :o
XK2238

MLGnom wrote:

What is your original font name and extension that you are trying to use?
was Taiko no Tatsujin Official Font.ttf, I tried (re-)converting it into ttf using the site you've given but it still doesn't work. Do I have to rename it before putting it into the folder? :s
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Inside skin folder you should have as Taiko.ttf, yes you should rename that font.
I just downloaded it and works just fine. D:
Also, have you reloaded skin before testing?
XK2238

MLGnom wrote:

Inside skin folder you should have as Taiko.ttf, yes you should rename that font.
I've done everything but it just keeps like that D: happens in both 4:3 and 16:9
also wtf acc
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Flandre XKarlet wrote:

MLGnom wrote:

I've done everything but it just keeps like that D: happens in both 4:3 and 16:9
also wtf acc
Hmm... Here try the one I have downloaded. It works just fine for me : http://puu.sh/26zDA

Aaoi wrote:

Not sure where to post this but I'll try here, I'm trying to make a Mania Skin and I'm doing ok I think but I can't seem to find the right name to name my Miss note "mania-hit0" doesn't work, I've tried looking at other Mania skins and noticed theirs don't work either, I really don't wanna leave my skin unfinished
Any ideas? :o
I don't really know why it's not working. Everything is fine at my side.
Can you upload and send me your skin by PM?
XK2238

MLGnom wrote:

Hmm... Here try the one I have downloaded. It works just fine for me : http://puu.sh/26zDA
still not working. orz
or maybe it's because of the .ini? D:
EDIT: nope. It doesn't work on any other skins. Maybe it's my osu. ;_; may I take a look on your osu.user.cfg, MLGnom?
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Aaoi : I just tested your skin and your mania miss is working. I don't really know why that happens. :/

Flandre XKarlet wrote:

MLGnom wrote:

still not working. orz
or maybe it's because of the .ini? D:
What do you mean by "because of the .ini"?
Got a question, have you tested any other .ttf file? Are they working correctly? Is text in default skin working??
XK2238

MLGnom wrote:

Got a question, have you tested any other .ttf file? Are they working correctly? Or in default skin?
brb checking.
...meh nope
Aaoi

MLGnom wrote:

Aaoi : I just tested your skin and your mania miss is working. I don't really know why that happens. :/
Hmm I don't really understand myself, I've done exactly what I've been told and it's the only note to not work
I don't know how to fix it maybe it'll fix itself in a later patch or something
Thank you for having a look though :D
Rei Hakurei

Flandre XKarlet wrote:

MLGnom wrote:

Got a question, have you tested any other .ttf file? Are they working correctly? Or in default skin?
brb checking.
...meh nope
no relation of taiko.ttf and skin.ini lol.
Kratoz-x
Why nobody adds information about the skinnable sounds D: ?
Also, if i use a soundless .wav it will work? like a blank png...
because the claps in every click are kinda distracting and its too simple use effects volume to 0% D:
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Kratoz-x wrote:

Why nobody adds information about the skinnable sounds D: ?
Also, if i use a soundless .wav it will work? like a blank png...
because the claps in every click are kinda distracting and its too simple use effects volume to 0% D:
Because someone needs to create/gather some info about it.
I have planned to add sound section. ^^;

Using soundless.wav is working fine for me, but if you will have any problems create a file with generated "silence" in it.
Replace normal-hitclap.wav and soft-hitclap.wav

Also remember to select "Use skin's sound samples" in skin selection screen.
Kratoz-x

MLGnom wrote:

Also remember to select "Use skin's sound samples" in skin selection screen.
So, that why it was not working (Im stupid)

Either way, osu! sees .wav and .mp3 as the same thing, i use sectionfail/pass.wav and it works o.o
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Kratoz-x wrote:

So, that why it was not working (Im stupid)

Either way, osu! sees .wav and .mp3 as the same thing, i use sectionfail/pass.wav and it works o.o
Yeah, you can use either .mp3 or .wav but there is important difference between them.

osu! wiki wrote:

WAVE files are best in all cases, as mp3s will not loop correctly and have a short (0-20ms) gap before they are heard, adding an extra latency variable.
Kratoz-x
ALSO I remenber something, try volume-bg.png 38x232px
i had a really old skin that uses it, i finished reading THE ENTIRE THREAD and nobody mentioned it yet, sooooo.... here you go :3
show more