forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Akeipoid VM-01 wrote:

Something that's been bothering me when I make a skin are the slider tracks is there a way to edit them at all or does that not exist?
(I mean like adding gradients glows etc I know I can edit the color base and type in the skin.ini)
All you can do with sliders is in skin.ini part.
So no, you can't do any gradients etc. :/
Akeipoid VM-01

MLGnom wrote:

Akeipoid VM-01 wrote:

Something that's been bothering me when I make a skin are the slider tracks is there a way to edit them at all or does that not exist?
(I mean like adding gradients glows etc I know I can edit the color base and type in the skin.ini)
All you can do with sliders is in skin.ini part.
So no, you can't do any gradients etc. :/
Shame that would be such a nice feature to have :/
jemhuntr
it's somewhere beneath feature requests. It's about skinning slider tracks.

Oh btw, you won't be able to see clicktostart.png and dragtobrowse.png anymore. It only exists for arcade builds, and it became unskinnable lately. it's my fault, I mentioned it in tech support
Don-Tan
guys... i have bad news XD the end of the matchsetup-background.png is comming :cry:

EDIT: but it doesn't look all that bad :/
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Oh for the god sake... so matchsetup-background now also uses menu-background? :/
OsuMe65

MLGnom wrote:

Oh for the god sake... so matchsetup-background now also uses menu-background? :/
for the love of Pete... NO! (if this happens now... skinning life might suck a little bit)
Don-Tan
it happened XD the only bit of hope i have now is that they don't change the special menu background XD..... no seriously if that happens i'm gonna write a featured request if anyone hasn't done that before T_T
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Holy Crap... making proper tutorial is way harder than I thought and it's taking much more time than expected. </3

1. Introduction - done!
2. Basic - 75% - need to add way more information here.
3. Skin.ini - 95% - need to test something.
4. Standard skin elements - 5% work in progress <3
5. Catch the beat elements - 0% - need to create it first...
6. Taiko elements - 75% - need to rewrite few things, and explain it better.
7. osu!mania skin elements - 50% - need to update it and explain properly.
8. Creating .osk file - done!
9. Posting a skin - 75% - need to add few things, explain it a little better.

So, I have started working on Standard skin elements. Hope this time it will be more helpful than previous one.

Also, I have added 2 small tutorials how to cut characters for comboburst in comboburst section. It should somehow help... I think so...?
Someone will need to correct my crappy grammar after I finish with everything.
Aquamarine
Nice update.
Squichu
Aah, such a nice tutorial. Helped me with creating my own skin soooo much! >3<

But I don't really get why it says you can't do countdowns horizontally.. (made one myself and it works perfectly..) o-o
Here is a screenshot of the countdown (yh, it's terrible, but who cares.. D:), since I can't really explain how it works.. xD *sucks at english*
Topic Starter
MLGnom
I have found something guys!

Something that really helps with making countdowns for any resolution.
In wide-screen update, anchor positions and behaviour of countdown have been changed. So it's possible to make horizontal countdown. <3
Most likely countdown is not restricted by size any more.

How this works :
As always height of countdown should be 768px.

Count 3 - Anchor position of it's at left side. Left side of picture will start here.
Count 2 - Anchor position of it's at right side. Right side of picture will start here.
Count 1 - Anchor position is at centre of screen. Centre of your picture will be here.

But remember that count 3 is first, next is count 2, and count 1 will be covered by these two.

Well... let's continue with update...

Edit :

[ Squirrel ] wrote:

Aah, such a nice tutorial. Helped me with creating my own skin soooo much! >3<

But I don't really get why it says you can't do countdowns horizontally.. (made one myself and it works perfectly..) o-o
Here is a screenshot of the countdown (yh, it's terrible, but who cares.. D:), since I can't really explain how it works.. xD *sucks at english*
Oh you! You were a little faster than me. <3
Squichu

MLGnom wrote:

Oh you! You were a little faster than me. <3
Haha. :b (Wanted to post this quite a while ago, but kinda forgot about it... xD)
But it's nice to know how it works thanks to your graphic. *__*
Didn't really get how mine was working.. |D

& btw, does anyone know if there is a way to get a different scorebar for osumania?
I'd love to change mine, cause my customized one looks awful.. :\
(and I dun wanna change skins every time I play mania. ... -lazy-)
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Sadly, we can't do anything about that right now. There is already few future requests about separate skin elements for different mods but nobody know if they will be added or when.
Squichu
Aww, darn it. u.u
But oh well, maybe it'll be added some day.. gotta keep switching skins then, I guess. >o<
jemhuntr
i can remember myself requesting for a different mania hp bar, since i use a 1366x768 hp bar so it appears on the bottom in standard. I'm just not that sure if I actually requested that or that was just an imagination
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Standard skin parts done at 70%... if someone is bored and can make/find more example pictures for parts... that would be really helpful. <3
Garygoh884

Now you can use Taiko font for title and author by adding taiko.ttf to your skin folder.
Rei Hakurei

Garygoh884 wrote:

Now you can use Taiko font for title and author by adding taiko.ttf to your skin folder.
nice, i like this feature :3
Garygoh884

Don't forget the new modifier (osu!mania only) Fade In. Add the file selection-mod-fadein.png to your skin folder.

What I call this modifier is Sudden, like in StepMania and O2JAM.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Ah, yes. Thank you. I didn't follow after last week updates.

I'm here to explain skin parts, not game mechanics. ^^;

Edit :

Finally finished Standard skin elements.

1. Introduction - done!
2. Basic - 75% - Need to add few things.
3. Skin.ini - done!
4. Standard skin elements - done! - still need grammar/style corrections, but I will take care of them after finishing everything.
5. Catch the beat elements - 0% - Not many elements. Will do that tomorrow.
6. Taiko elements - 75%
7. osu!mania skin elements - 50% - need to update it and explain properly.
8. Creating .osk file - done!
9. Posting a skin - 75% - need to add few things, explain it a little better.
x1. Sounds - To be added in the future.
x2. Installing skins - To be added in future.

Meh, I'm going to sleep now...
Rumerjose
Thanks for this nuclear hot contribution

My friend is gonna appreciate it :D
HakuNoKaemi
someone should remove the nuke
Rei Hakurei

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

someone should remove the nuke
umm why you didn't revert the icon into then ? since some subforum allows icon changes by non-staffs.
OsuMe65
a nuke is hot according to him...
Garygoh884
I had made a discovery involving the osu!mania .ini files. This discovery involves the numbers of ColumnWidth (CW) and ColumnStart (CS).

These numbers deals with how many pixels on a 640x480 screen. When you're playing a osu!mania map on a W x H screen,

The left side of the play area starts at CS*H/480 and the right side ends at (CS+Sum of CWs)*H/480).

I made that discovery after realizing when I play on a 4:3 window with the settings CS =440 and (sum of CWs) = 200, the right side of the play area was just at the right side of the window.

The maximum width for the left stage sprite is 738 pixels, which covers the left side of the play area when you set ColumnWidth to 460.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
HD skinning is here!

peppy wrote:

Double resolution skinning is now supported. Simply provide files with @2x suffix as you normally would. You still need to provide a standard resolution version too.

Example:
hit300g.png (300x300)
hit300g@2x.png (600x600)

High resolution sprites are used for resolutions 1600x and higher.
Soon I will continue with updates, please wait patiently. <3
jemhuntr

MLGnom wrote:

HD skinning is here!

peppy wrote:

Double resolution skinning is now supported. Simply provide files with @2x suffix as you normally would. You still need to provide a standard resolution version too.

Example:
hit300g.png (300x300)
hit300g@2x.png (600x600)

High resolution sprites are used for resolutions 1600x and higher.
Soon I will continue with updates, please wait patiently. <3
<3 but is there still no way to skin multiple resolution backgrounds? that would solve screen ratio issues.
Topic Starter
MLGnom

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

<3 but is there still no way to skin multiple resolution backgrounds? that would solve screen ratio issues.
Why would you need this? You know there is few different aspect ratios and if you would like to make background for every of them it would take some pointless space... especially if someone is using only one.

Just make it 1366x768 and you will cover every standard aspect ratio, because on lower width (4:3) pictures are cut from both sides.

Before someone tell me "But my bg doesn't fit for that Aspect ratio but fit perfectly on another!". So do/use a bg that will fit to every resolution or just make another version of skin specially for that ratio...
Jenny
Question: Is there any way to properly turn an SD skin (normal resolution) into a HD one (doubled resolution) without the .psd files? (Talking about the image files here, not the skin.ini)
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Jenny wrote:

Question: Is there any way to properly turn an SD skin (normal resolution) into a HD one (doubled resolution) without the .psd files? (Talking about the image files here, not the skin.ini)
It's kinda hard to make it the same as SD without original work file.
You can try to resize it with correct interpolation. (As I know people recommend " Bicubic Smoother" for enlarging, I personally prefer using Lanczos interpolation). You should try few others and use the one that fit you most. If your image is a little blurred after resizing,you can use "unsharp mask" filter.
Remember that the smaller picture is, the harder to enlarge it smoothly.
Jenny
Could you add that (more worded out) to the opening post? As of current happenings, I think it'd come in handy for more people.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Sure, in few days I'm going to continue with updates (probably this weekend), so I will add that. :3
AussieEvil
Now is there a skinnable font for the song title bar in Taiko mode?
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Yup, rename your font as "Taiko.ttf" and add to your skin folder.
AussieEvil
Thanks for the advice:
XK2238
my osu keeps hanging when I play a map in Taiko and then quit the map with my custom Taiko font (in which I renamed it to Taiko.ttf, of course), am I doing it wrong? ?_?
also: the font DIDN'T load at all too. :c
Topic Starter
MLGnom
What is your original font name and extension that you are trying to use?
Rei Hakurei
maybe because "the font name (not file name) contains UTF-8" characters and/or the extension is not originally TTF.
(i need to suspend my 1st and 4th skin taiko.ttf because of that)
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Yup that's why I have asked for extension name.
Picked up few different fonts that I have. Only TTF works. OTF doesn't load at all.

If you convert it in some way (I have used this site as it was first in google ^^; ) font should work. :3

Still need to test few of them but most common should work that way.
Aaoi
Not sure where to post this but I'll try here, I'm trying to make a Mania Skin and I'm doing ok I think but I can't seem to find the right name to name my Miss note "mania-hit0" doesn't work, I've tried looking at other Mania skins and noticed theirs don't work either, I really don't wanna leave my skin unfinished
Any ideas? :o
show more