forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Hanyuu
For mania i think there arent too much helpfull things. Notes is probably the most important. They have a great effect when playing or the stagelight. You can have that big or invisible or just hardly noticeable, it all makes a difference what a player prefers. Column width is also a good thing to edit in the skin if a player has less less trouble with reading wide or super wide skin. The lighting effect can also make some difference when you notice it when playing but i think it is minimal because you have to pay attention for other things. I dont think there is any sort of in skins for mania that makes you alot better, only user preference.

Edit: For CTB note im not a really CTB player but i can imagine a round fruit skin that looks the same for anything, like just a blue ball or something could make a difference. Also making the numbers transparent maybe? Since i read some people complaining they are blocking in fl mode but i dont know. Just an idea
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Thank you guys, that helps a lot, but still would like to have few more opinions.
And would be great if someone could tell me something about "pro" taiko skin.
(I think, I will need to find some good players and ask directly :/)
CloudNep
I'm having trouble with the lobby-background.png cuz whenever I go into the lobby there isn't any image... Help pl0x~
Topic Starter
MLGnom

CloudEdge wrote:

I'm having trouble with the lobby-background.png cuz whenever I go into the lobby there isn't any image... Help pl0x~
Lobby background has been removed. Now background of main-menu is used as lobby background.
chibi2ki
Cool~ I'm a bit of a newbie, but this is pretty helpful since I'm just starting to make a skin and I just have no idea at all how to do it.
jemhuntr
for osu!mania:
no pro osu!mania player plays with a ddr based (or anything similar) arrows as the notes nor use a clear playfield.
grid colors should be alternating, mania-hint should be perfectly aligned to the judgment line, and note colors should be contrasting.
alternating grid colors are better than alternating grid transparencies with the same color.
some people prefer copying the note color setup from whatever similar game they play to make it more familiar.
border between stage sides and playfield should be noticeable.
if you plan to not use column lines, make sure to at least put line(s) on the center column(s). those center lines will help you a lot, especially in 6K, 7K or 8K.
don't use overrated stage lightings. (the lighting that pops up behind the grids when you hit notes)
try not to use lighting N's and L's that are too flashy, people focus their eyes on that point when they want a high accuracy (although I use a flashy one since I look higher on the screen while playing)
"don't block the driveway", hitbursts will always be there, so never make your hitbursts too high. smaller or thinner is better for some people. just don't forget to make 300 different from 300!.
use a larger miss hitbursts than the other hitbursts.
i prefer using note holds with a vertical gradient, it tells me how long a slider is and tells me when it's about to end.
make your stage right and stage left as fancy as possible, no one looks there while playing.
try not to make the hp bar too distracting.

taiko:
i don't really play taiko, but I think it would be better if the stage right contrasts the note colors (blue and red-ish)
don't use a distracting pippidon animation
colors should be dominant on the outer part of the circles
don't use a stage right glow that is too bright/glowing
make sure the hitbursts don't block incoming circles
make sure that the border between stage left and stage right is noticeable

ctb:
i also don't play ctb but...
use drop shadows for the fruits
try to make the fruits look as closely as possible to each other
make use of the fruit overlays to add lighting effects and shadows to the fruits to make the fruits more visible
try to make the font simpler, thinner, and smaller

meh can't think of any more now >.<
Ritsuko_old_1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTf-Y4immCM

What's this is skin?
Please tell me skin's name :D
chibi2ki
Question: Why does the template have no skin.ini inside?
Rei Hakurei

chibi2ki wrote:

the real template had it, have you checked the osume.exe and open extras tab?
Topic Starter
MLGnom

chibi2ki wrote:

Maybe next time check skin folder first before you post something that will confuse me? :<

Both templates have skin.ini inside (template here and that one you can have via osume.exe)

(Yes, he probably got typical "Missing skin.ini file" in game.)
hyisz
Question ^^

as I can to star2.png appears all along like in relax...?
_-_Sakura_-_
rename it to star.png
Rei Hakurei

_-_Sakura_-_ wrote:

rename it to star.png
star.png and star2.png have different function.

star.png -> difficulty star
star2.png -> effects on mouse, kiai fountain, etc.
star3.png unskinnable -> main menu kiai fountain
Topic Starter
MLGnom

DDarkAnime wrote:

Question ^^

as I can to star2.png appears all along like in relax...?
If you are asking about star2 that appears all the time from cursor then no. You can't do that.
The similar effect only appear when map have kiai time.
Heibel

Repulser wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTf-Y4immCM

What's this is skin?
Please tell me skin's name :D
go to thelewa's userpage and get it. And why on earth are you asking in here?
jemhuntr

Rei_Fan49 wrote:

star3...? O.o isn't that the same as star2?
OsuMe65
it's unskinnable... (star3.png)
(shit...)
Topic Starter
MLGnom

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

Rei_Fan49 wrote:

star3...? O.o isn't that the same as star2?
No it isn't the same file. It only use the same picture as default star2.
L_P
any idea of where i could find the default drum-hitfinish?
Rei Hakurei

L_P wrote:

any idea of where i could find the default drum-hitfinish?
osu!stream :v
btw http://puu.sh/1Ol5O
(well, for taiko drum hitsound is 100% silence, i will give temporary fix for that)
Akeipoid VM-01
Something that's been bothering me when I make a skin are the slider tracks is there a way to edit them at all or does that not exist?
(I mean like adding gradients glows etc I know I can edit the color base and type in the skin.ini)
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Akeipoid VM-01 wrote:

Something that's been bothering me when I make a skin are the slider tracks is there a way to edit them at all or does that not exist?
(I mean like adding gradients glows etc I know I can edit the color base and type in the skin.ini)
All you can do with sliders is in skin.ini part.
So no, you can't do any gradients etc. :/
Akeipoid VM-01

MLGnom wrote:

Akeipoid VM-01 wrote:

All you can do with sliders is in skin.ini part.
So no, you can't do any gradients etc. :/
Shame that would be such a nice feature to have :/
jemhuntr
it's somewhere beneath feature requests. It's about skinning slider tracks.

Oh btw, you won't be able to see clicktostart.png and dragtobrowse.png anymore. It only exists for arcade builds, and it became unskinnable lately. it's my fault, I mentioned it in tech support
Don-Tan
guys... i have bad news XD the end of the matchsetup-background.png is comming :cry:

EDIT: but it doesn't look all that bad :/
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Oh for the god sake... so matchsetup-background now also uses menu-background? :/
OsuMe65

MLGnom wrote:

Oh for the god sake... so matchsetup-background now also uses menu-background? :/
for the love of Pete... NO! (if this happens now... skinning life might suck a little bit)
Don-Tan
it happened XD the only bit of hope i have now is that they don't change the special menu background XD..... no seriously if that happens i'm gonna write a featured request if anyone hasn't done that before T_T
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Holy Crap... making proper tutorial is way harder than I thought and it's taking much more time than expected. </3

1. Introduction - done!
2. Basic - 75% - need to add way more information here.
3. Skin.ini - 95% - need to test something.
4. Standard skin elements - 5% work in progress <3
5. Catch the beat elements - 0% - need to create it first...
6. Taiko elements - 75% - need to rewrite few things, and explain it better.
7. osu!mania skin elements - 50% - need to update it and explain properly.
8. Creating .osk file - done!
9. Posting a skin - 75% - need to add few things, explain it a little better.

So, I have started working on Standard skin elements. Hope this time it will be more helpful than previous one.

Also, I have added 2 small tutorials how to cut characters for comboburst in comboburst section. It should somehow help... I think so...?
Someone will need to correct my crappy grammar after I finish with everything.
Aquamarine
Nice update.
Squichu
Aah, such a nice tutorial. Helped me with creating my own skin soooo much! >3<

But I don't really get why it says you can't do countdowns horizontally.. (made one myself and it works perfectly..) o-o
Here is a screenshot of the countdown (yh, it's terrible, but who cares.. D:), since I can't really explain how it works.. xD *sucks at english*
Topic Starter
MLGnom
I have found something guys!

Something that really helps with making countdowns for any resolution.
In wide-screen update, anchor positions and behaviour of countdown have been changed. So it's possible to make horizontal countdown. <3
Most likely countdown is not restricted by size any more.

How this works :
As always height of countdown should be 768px.

Count 3 - Anchor position of it's at left side. Left side of picture will start here.
Count 2 - Anchor position of it's at right side. Right side of picture will start here.
Count 1 - Anchor position is at centre of screen. Centre of your picture will be here.

But remember that count 3 is first, next is count 2, and count 1 will be covered by these two.

Well... let's continue with update...

Edit :

[ Squirrel ] wrote:

Aah, such a nice tutorial. Helped me with creating my own skin soooo much! >3<

But I don't really get why it says you can't do countdowns horizontally.. (made one myself and it works perfectly..) o-o
Here is a screenshot of the countdown (yh, it's terrible, but who cares.. D:), since I can't really explain how it works.. xD *sucks at english*
Oh you! You were a little faster than me. <3
Squichu

MLGnom wrote:

Oh you! You were a little faster than me. <3
Haha. :b (Wanted to post this quite a while ago, but kinda forgot about it... xD)
But it's nice to know how it works thanks to your graphic. *__*
Didn't really get how mine was working.. |D

& btw, does anyone know if there is a way to get a different scorebar for osumania?
I'd love to change mine, cause my customized one looks awful.. :\
(and I dun wanna change skins every time I play mania. ... -lazy-)
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Sadly, we can't do anything about that right now. There is already few future requests about separate skin elements for different mods but nobody know if they will be added or when.
Squichu
Aww, darn it. u.u
But oh well, maybe it'll be added some day.. gotta keep switching skins then, I guess. >o<
jemhuntr
i can remember myself requesting for a different mania hp bar, since i use a 1366x768 hp bar so it appears on the bottom in standard. I'm just not that sure if I actually requested that or that was just an imagination
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Standard skin parts done at 70%... if someone is bored and can make/find more example pictures for parts... that would be really helpful. <3
Garygoh884

Now you can use Taiko font for title and author by adding taiko.ttf to your skin folder.
Rei Hakurei

Garygoh884 wrote:

Now you can use Taiko font for title and author by adding taiko.ttf to your skin folder.
nice, i like this feature :3
Garygoh884

Don't forget the new modifier (osu!mania only) Fade In. Add the file selection-mod-fadein.png to your skin folder.

What I call this modifier is Sudden, like in StepMania and O2JAM.
show more