forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
N A L U
I don't think spinner-osu.wav (or .mp3) sounds are used anymore.
Even if they are barely used in most osu skins :/
KingisNitro

MLGnom wrote:

1. Just create new thread in skinning.
2. Yes, don't post anything that contains nudity or any explicit continent. Ecchi is fine but you should give a warning in your thread. About blood, please don't post guro. It's should be somewhat safe. (we have already skin that contain "blood" but this kind is okay).

3. Pause-overlay must be .png like other parts of skin. (Exception are beatmap skins where you can have backgrounds as jpg).
4. Are you sure it's flipped? Please test this sliderball (added skin.ini with it). I don't know why you have differently.
5. SliderBallFrames will affect speed of animation of sliderball.
6. Are you sure you don't have "OpenGL" or "low end PC" turned on in options? Because of OpenGL skins will have forced sliderstyle : 2 and only style 2 and 3 will work.

Skin.ini is inside of every skin, also in template, so no need. :3c

Damn it. Don't know why I called it "Kaiai". Corrected. D:
1,2, Thanks for helping!
3, I didn't notice almost all the files are PNG xD Sorry about that.
4, The thing you sent me did work the correct way; However. In the template, when set to 1, it works. In an edit I made from template, it works the other way around (it is flipped horizontally when set to 0). I didn't change the SliderBall sprites anyhow yet though, so I don't know what it might have got influenced by. (In case it's needed, I can send the theme so you can see yourself.)
5, Hmm I see, thanks~
6, Aha there's the problem. I am using OpenGL because it runs smoother and doesn't give my computer BSOD as much as the other option (more like it does not do that at all.) It is kinda irritating with a longer hold and welp how to play it (I couldn't see the exact way it went) >_> But oh well I can't do anythign about that then though. Thanks!

As for Skin.ini, yes I know, but better add it in the first post so people won't ask about it xD
Once again thanks for all the help! ^^ In case I would need any help I will come and ask. ^^
lSolar_old
Thank you, now I can be happy with this tutorial :3
KingisNitro
I've got another question.
What are default-[number].png used for? I've tried changing 0 but I can't see any place where it'd change. Thanks in advance!
Topic Starter
MLGnom
By default they are used as "Hitcircle numbers".
But if you have edited where they are used , they won't be changed.

This is default part in skin.ini
[Fonts]
HitCirclePrefix: default
HitCircleOverlap: 3
ScorePrefix: score
ScoreOverlap: 3

By editing it in this way, hitcircles will use score numbers instead. (or vice versa)
[Fonts]
HitCirclePrefix: score

That's why sometimes you should use template skin.ini instead of ini from any skin.
OsuMe65

KingisNitro wrote:

I've got another question.
What are default-[number].png used for? I've tried changing 0 but I can't see any place where it'd change. Thanks in advance!

MLGnom wrote:

By default they are used as "Hitcircle numbers".
But if you have edited where they are used , they won't be changed.

This is default part in skin.ini
[Fonts]
HitCirclePrefix: default

By editing it in this way, hitcircles will use score numbers instead. (or vice versa)
[Fonts]
HitCirclePrefix: score

That's why sometimes you should use template skin.ini instead of ini from any skin.
that's right
at first, i'm confused but i realized it as soon as i made my own osu! skin

don't worry, there may be a lot of discoveries [maybe]
[like play-unranked.png]
SPOILER
here's the picture:
KingisNitro
@MLGnom, OsuMe65; Thank you both! I actually copied the template, renamed the copy and started editing it; I couldn't see the change because I only edited 0 xD And you don't see that one that often. I've tried editing 1 now and it works perfectly. Thanks for help again! ^^
OsuMe65

KingisNitro wrote:

@MLGnom, OsuMe65; Thank you both! I actually copied the template, renamed the copy and started editing it; I couldn't see the change because I only edited 0 xD And you don't see that one that often. I've tried editing 1 now and it works perfectly. Thanks for help again! ^^

@KingisNitro: you're welcome... :) we're always here to help... ;)

@MLGnom: new discoveries and their image dimensions:

play-unranked.png (mentioned earlier)
Dimensions: 133x30

spinner-rpm.png (NEW!)
Dimensions: 279x56

that's all i discovered that works...
Topic Starter
MLGnom
I wondering who are you asking about these things? And where are you getting this kind of information? xD
Will add them later.
OsuMe65

MLGnom wrote:

I wondering who are you asking about these things? And where are you getting this kind of information? xD
Will add them later.
i got it when i downloaded an unofficial add-on for osu
it's hard and sucks so i deleted it [except the images in the Data folder]

i'm curious about those images so i tried them one by one
and i'm surprised to see some good results

:)
Topic Starter
MLGnom
I see, so you simply got a chance to see default skin that is actually used (or was in use).
Well, okay. Thanks for sharing. :3c
OsuMe65
you're welcome
P.S.
you're still the best :)
hydrosilver
can i make a skin using micromedia flash 8 portable??
KingisNitro

OsuMe65 wrote:

KingisNitro wrote:

@KingisNitro: you're welcome... :) we're always here to help... ;)

@MLGnom: new discoveries and their image dimensions:
SPOILER

spinner-rpm.png (NEW!)
Dimensions: 279x96
Oh, this seems to be useful! Thanks for more info~ (Could you maybe upload them and post links?)
And I have a question not really related to skinning but - how do you take a video? I mean, what program/online site do you use? Any video I take lags horribly so one can't see anything. :/ I'd really like to make a video preview but I can't. (I did use the Replay option instead of recording while playing.)
Topic Starter
MLGnom

KingisNitro wrote:

Oh, this seems to be useful! Thanks for more info~ (Could you maybe upload them and post links?)
And I have a question not really related to skinning but - how do you take a video? I mean, what program/online site do you use? Any video I take lags horribly so one can't see anything. :/ I'd really like to make a video preview but I can't. (I did use the Replay option instead of recording while playing.)
Personally I'm using this but you can also use this

For play-unranked.png and spinner-rpm.png simply create new file, use any size you want (larger, smaller anything that fits you) and save with correct file name. (just test it for correct size ^^)
OsuMe65
Fraps seems good enough like what MLGnom posted...

I use Camtasia 7 but the only thing is the lag during my own recordings...
:(
i just need to upgrade my pc / uninstall some useless programs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spinner-rpm.png and play-unranked's default size is the one mentioned earlier
but indeed, it can be customized depending on the skinner
pixeldesu

OsuMe65 wrote:

MLGnom wrote:

Will add them later.
i got it when i downloaded an unofficial add-on for osu
it's hard and sucks so i deleted it [except the images in the Data folder]

i'm curious about those images so i tried them one by one
and i'm surprised to see some good results
Can you please tell me more about this "add-on"? (name, link to download) maybe over pm?
KingisNitro

MLGnom wrote:

KingisNitro wrote:

Personally I'm using this but you can also use this

For play-unranked.png and spinner-rpm.png simply create new file, use any size you want (larger, smaller anything that fits you) and save with correct file name. (just test it for correct size ^^)
Well, yes, I know I can create them myself, but I like to copy the basic shape of it. It kind of feels, well... more similar than the shape I'd probably use (like I usually make buttons with straight lines). But well what you said is apparently the only way to do them C:
Oh and thanks for the link, I will try and see if I can get any decent results with them! A friend of mine (who is playing DDR on keyboard) was using PlayClaw, but that was lagging horribly too. :(
OsuMe65

TechnikaFlash wrote:

Can you please tell me more about this "add-on"? (name, link to download) maybe over pm?
that add-on is the unofficial O2Jam (osu!Beta1.2.9[JFF1.0]
I'm not good at this so i deleted it. except the images in the data folder
http://puu.sh/EUTC

P.S.
it sucks(crashes may encountered)... and i don't know who created this beta...
pixeldesu

OsuMe65 wrote:

TechnikaFlash wrote:

that add-on is the unofficial O2Jam (osu!Beta1.2.9[JFF1.0]
I'm not good at this so i deleted it. except the images in the data folder
http://puu.sh/EUTC

P.S.
it sucks(crashes may encountered)... and i don't know who created this beta...
KingisNitro

OsuMe65 wrote:

spinner-rpm.png (NEW!)
Dimensions: 279x96

Okay so this is exactly why I wanted them to post it online.
I've tried editing the spinner-rpm.png, by the size said, and osu! 'ate' lower half of it. That's why I rather copy the originals and see where the text/other stuff is positioned. Nevermind & thanks again for sharing the info!
My skin will be done in a while fufufu I hope
OsuMe65

KingisNitro wrote:

OsuMe65 wrote:

Dimensions: 133x30 (pixels)

spinner-rpm.png (NEW!)
Dimensions: 279x96 (pixels)

Okay so this is exactly why I wanted them to post it online.
I've tried editing the spinner-rpm.png, by the size said, and osu! 'ate' lower half of it. That's why I rather copy the originals and see where the text/other stuff is positioned. Nevermind & thanks again for sharing the info!
My skin will be done in a while fufufu I hope
what happens at spinner-rpm.png:

default size works
lemme see yours and your sample :)
let's see what can i do... :)
KingisNitro
Well my skin is published here since yesterday, you can go on and try it out. Maybe post me a screenshot, I'd like to see how does it look on other computers! C:

EDIT: Oh wait now I know why. In the comment, you stated 279x96 while the picture in the photoshop is 279x56 which is 40 pixels less.
OsuMe65
thanks for the correction

[sorry, i'm 13 years old and i forgot it already the actual size ^^V]

SPOILER
I'm already that old? OwO
KingisNitro

OsuMe65 wrote:

SPOILER
13 and "already that old"?

Also forgetting is exactly the reason why I either write things somewhere or let them open until I need to write them somewhere else. I am also pretty paranoid about this stuff so yeah. Cx
Allyses
I'd like to try this tut. Thanks
OsuMe65

Allyses wrote:

I'd like to try this tut. Thanks
no worries... and more discoveries will come

KingisNitro wrote:

OsuMe65 wrote:

SPOILER
13 and "already that old"?

Also forgetting is exactly the reason why I either write things somewhere or let them open until I need to write them somewhere else. I am also pretty paranoid about this stuff so yeah. Cx
agree... XD
OsuMe65
another discovery...

[pooting fresh and pooting late]
his name is selection-mod-nightcore.png
his dimensions are the same as his fellow mods
[69x65]

Topic Starter
MLGnom
I know already about it. ^^'

Edit:
Added short information about spinner-rpm, play-unranked and nightcore icon.
OsuMe65

MLGnom wrote:

I know already about it. ^^'
(yeah, it's pooting late)
Edit:
Added short information about spinner-rpm, play-unranked and nightcore icon.
(thanks... :) [except for the Nightcore icon])
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Okay, I'm trying to update skin template right now. Will add all missing parts and taiko skinning. (At least will try to make is similar to default skin).

Edit:
Okay, this will take a little time because need to test sound samples and prepare information about taiko skinning.
KingisNitro
What does that Nightcore thingy do?
OsuMe65

KingisNitro wrote:

Nightcore is a new mod in osu! which has a score multiplier of 1.12 [just like DT].
It modifies the pitch (+ the function of DT that doubles the song's playback speed) and adds some claps and cymbal crashes...

P.S.
I don't play this mod because it's weird... O_O
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Reuploaded skin template. It should contain all missing parts,updated skin.ini + removed no needed elements.

Now, time to write few words about taiko elements.

In nearest future will try to add information about editing sounds .
KingisNitro

OsuMe65 wrote:

KingisNitro wrote:

Nightcore is a new mod in osu! which has a score multiplier of 1.12 [just like DT].
It modifies the pitch (+ the function of DT that doubles the song's playback speed) and adds some claps and cymbal crashes...

P.S.
I don't play this mod because it's weird... O_O
Okay I have tried making selection-mod-nightcore.png, taking selection-mod-doubletime.png away and nothing changed (only the icon for DT is now the classic one). How do I add it in? Owo (My osu! updated like every day for the last week)
Topic Starter
MLGnom

KingisNitro wrote:

Okay I have tried making selection-mod-nightcore.png, taking selection-mod-doubletime.png away and nothing changed (only the icon for DT is now the classic one). How do I add it in? Owo (My osu! updated like every day for the last week)
You don't take it away from skin.
While in game click and hold double time icon and just move it.
OsuMe65

KingisNitro wrote:

great...
that selection-mod-nightcore.png can be added on your skin but don't delete the selection-mod-doubletime.png

like this:
OsuMe65
another discovery

his name is ranking-winner.png
his dimensions are 200x214
he can be found during multiplayer ranking screen

[still revamping mine... :(]
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Please use spoiler box for screenshots. Thank you.

Yeah I noticed that too. I will test these skin parts from that mod, maybe there is more. xD
KingisNitro
@OsuMe65, MLGnom: Both thank you! ^^
And thanks for new info too! :O I will have a lot of things to add/re-do in the skin apparently. :C
show more