forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
ychao
Just open the skin.ini with notepad and change the necessary elements.
Ryu_old
How can I do dat? Help meeeeeeee :?

justin-chan
nice tutorial but i have a problem when i make the hitcircles and others there is this white squared portion and it is not transparent compared to the other skins what should i do?
justin-chan
and where can i find skin.ini?
ziin
download it from other skins, or start with the template skin (download it through osume, it will be in your skin folder).
justin-chan
i dont understand a thing, honestly i wish there was a video tutorial! XD
Accelerator-sama
Woah.. nice tutorial!
I prefer become a skinner than a mapper..
Thank you! :) :) :)
-SaMuRaI-HeArT-
How to put Comboburst on beatmaps? can u tell me pls
exlicht
this helped me a lot, thanks X3
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Hey there. I did a small search today and found 5 interesting things that you can add to skin.ini.
Add these in [General] part.

CustomComboBurstSounds: 50,100,200,300,400,500 etc. Combo sound will be played at specified combo number.

SpinnerFadePlayfield: 0 If this is set to 0, background of spinners will be transparent (you will be able to see map playfield/video)

CursorTrailRotate:0
If this is set to 1, the cursor trail rotation will rotates with the cursor.

AnimationFramerate:"Number of frames" Defaults to playing all available frames per second. Applies to all animated sprites except slider ball. The lower amount of them, the slower animation will be.

SpinnerNoBlink:1 Defaults to 0. When set to 1, it will stop spinners from "blinking" the top of the metre as they rise/peak.

(Funny thing these options were available already for around 3 years :/)

In nearest future I will add a little about Taiko/CtB skinning.
exlicht

MLGnom wrote:

Hey there. I did a small search today and found 5 interesting things that you can add to skin.ini.
Add these in [General] part.

CustomComboBurstSounds: 50,100,200,300,400,500 etc. Combo sound will be played at specified combo number.

SpinnerFadePlayfield: 0 If this is set to 0, background of spinners will be transparent (you will be able to see map playfield/video)

CursorTrailRotate:0
If this is set to 1, the cursor trail rotation will rotates with the cursor.

AnimationFramerate:"Number of frames" Defaults to playing all available frames per second. Applies to all animated sprites except slider ball. The lower amount of them, the slower animation will be.

SpinnerNoBlink:1 Defaults to 0. When set to 1, it will stop spinners from "blinking" the top of the metre as they rise/peak.

(Funny thing these options were available already for around 3 years :/)

In nearest future I will add a little about Taiko/CtB skinning.
hmm, gotta try it
and i will looking for Taiko and CtB skinning :D
are you gonna making byakuren skin? O.O
emergist

MLGnom wrote:

Blue lines show the anchor position for scrorebar-colour and if you want to fit them in the same place, try moving the scorebar-background. Also you don’t need to keep length of the lifebar, you can make it shorter or longer (for widescreen).
A bug to fix: "scrorebar-colour".
OsuMe65

justin-chan wrote:

i dont understand a thing, honestly i wish there was a video tutorial! XD
nice idea...

lemme try to make one based on this (MLGnom's) forum...

:)
T-Scarlet
when hitting notes, the hitclrcles go larger and fade out.. but how can i change that to just rings with empty space at center(dont know how that will be explained) instead of hitclrcle number and hitclrcle.png popping up together? sorry if my explanation is bad...

edit: .... i just read the post 3more times and noticed it was lighting.png srry
emergist

MLGnom wrote:

d) CursorRotate – controls whether the cursor rotates or not.
e) CursorExpand – when turned on, the cursor expands when clicking.
f) CursorCentre – while turned off the action point of the cursor will be in the top left corner of the image, rather than the center.
g) SliderBallFrames – amount of sliderball frames(pictures) used in the skin.
h) HitCircleOverlayAboveNumer – if turned on, makes numbers appear under the “hitcircleoverlay”
Are these options seleted between 0 and 1? If they are, you can add 0/1 to the thread.
OsuMe65
You can use 72 dpi as your image resolution [that's the web image resolution] to maintain a low memory space but still, a good looking element
:D
Netoxic
just a question, i see there can be more than 1 comboburst.png image andthey are named comboburst-0.png, comboburst-1.png, comboburst-2.png etc. Do i have to specify in the .ini file that the skin uses more than a comboburst? Can combo burst images be slected randomly when performing a combo?
ziin
Name:
Author:
SliderBallFlip: 0
CursorRotate: 0
CursorExpand: 1
CursorCentre: 1
AnimationFramerate: 30
SliderBallFrames: 5
HitCircleOverlayAboveNumer: 0
ComboBurstRandom: 0
SliderStyle: 2

[Colours]
Combo1: 255,255,0
Combo2: 255,0,0
Combo3: 255,0,255
Combo4: 0,0,255
Combo5: 0,255,0
Combo6: 0,255,255
Combo7: 255,128,128
Combo8: 128,255,128
SliderBorder: 192,192,192
SliderTrackOverride: 200,160,0
SpinnerApproachCircle: 250,250,250
StarBreakAdditive: 128,128,128
SongSelectActiveText: 78,0,0
SongSelectInactiveText: 255,215,228

[Fonts]
HitCirclePrefix: default
HitCircleOverlap: 3
ScorePrefix: score
ScoreOverlap: 3

Here's all the stuff I have in my skin.ini that works (I think I gave up on animationframerate and sliderballframes though). There is a toggle for random combo bursts, and you don't have to specify # of images in the skin.

Note the underlined stuff. I just found it today.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
So these were correct...
Thanks.
Added to "skin.ini" part :

SongSelectActiveText: 0,0,0
SongSelectInactiveText: 0,0,0

netoxr2000 wrote:

just a question, i see there can be more than 1 comboburst.png image andthey are named comboburst-0.png, comboburst-1.png, comboburst-2.png etc. Do i have to specify in the .ini file that the skin uses more than a comboburst? Can combo burst images be slected randomly when performing a combo?
You don't need to specify amount of comboburst. If you want to randomize combobursts add this to [General] part in skin.ini .
ComboBurstRandom: 1
OsuMe65
@MLGnow: how about play-unranked.png?
here's the picture:
KingisNitro
I have got a few questions;

Where am I supposed to post a new thread with my new skin? Somewhere in Skinning?
Secondly, is there anything forbidden to post? I suppose things that are related to blood or R-18 or something? Are there any rules on what can't be posted? (Just asking whether skins based upon characters from Fandoms are okay or not xD I wouldn't want to get banned or something from osu! for such stupid thing.)

A few notes;
Pause-overlay has to be a .PNG file, it didn't work with .JPG for me. May not be correct, I dunno.
In Skin.ini, the SliderBallFlip works exactly the other way around for me, when it's 0, it flips the sprite.
As for SliderBallFrames, I tried editing one theme and it automatically took the sprites I added, without the need of editing Skin.ini. Not sure about that though.
Further, SliderStyle does nothing for me (I added it and made sure to put it under [General]).

Thanks for any help with that! It would be pretty wonderful.
I'vegot 50 files out of 160 done already, maybe I will have finished it by the end of the next weekend! ^^ seriously doubt that though ahaha;;;

Btw seeing how many people ask about Skin.ini, you should maybe put it into the tutorial too x'DD
Oh and Kiai time is misspelled as Kaiai somewhere there. (Skin.ini spoiler, StarBreakAdditive is the exact place.)
Topic Starter
MLGnom
1. Just create new thread in skinning.
2. Yes, don't post anything that contains nudity or any explicit continent. Ecchi is fine but you should give a warning in your thread. About blood, please don't post guro. It's should be somewhat safe. (we have already skin that contain "blood" but this kind is okay).

3. Pause-overlay must be .png like other parts of skin. (Exception are beatmap skins where you can have backgrounds as jpg).
4. Are you sure it's flipped? Please test this sliderball (added skin.ini with it). I don't know why you have differently.
5. SliderBallFrames will affect speed of animation of sliderball.
6. Are you sure you don't have "OpenGL" or "low end PC" turned on in options? Because of OpenGL skins will have forced sliderstyle : 2 and only style 2 and 3 will work.

Skin.ini is inside of every skin, also in template, so no need. :3c

Damn it. Don't know why I called it "Kaiai". Corrected. D:
IppE

MLGnom wrote:

(we have already skin that contain "blood" but this kind is okay).
You flimsy poo just had to go and link that :roll:

So going to spam you with more guro just for the fun of it <3
OsuMe65

IppE wrote:

MLGnom wrote:

(we have already skin that contain "blood" but this kind is okay).
You flimsy poo just had to go and link that :roll:

So going to spam you with more guro just for the fun of it <3
that's yours, anyway ;)
N A L U
I don't think spinner-osu.wav (or .mp3) sounds are used anymore.
Even if they are barely used in most osu skins :/
KingisNitro

MLGnom wrote:

1. Just create new thread in skinning.
2. Yes, don't post anything that contains nudity or any explicit continent. Ecchi is fine but you should give a warning in your thread. About blood, please don't post guro. It's should be somewhat safe. (we have already skin that contain "blood" but this kind is okay).

3. Pause-overlay must be .png like other parts of skin. (Exception are beatmap skins where you can have backgrounds as jpg).
4. Are you sure it's flipped? Please test this sliderball (added skin.ini with it). I don't know why you have differently.
5. SliderBallFrames will affect speed of animation of sliderball.
6. Are you sure you don't have "OpenGL" or "low end PC" turned on in options? Because of OpenGL skins will have forced sliderstyle : 2 and only style 2 and 3 will work.

Skin.ini is inside of every skin, also in template, so no need. :3c

Damn it. Don't know why I called it "Kaiai". Corrected. D:
1,2, Thanks for helping!
3, I didn't notice almost all the files are PNG xD Sorry about that.
4, The thing you sent me did work the correct way; However. In the template, when set to 1, it works. In an edit I made from template, it works the other way around (it is flipped horizontally when set to 0). I didn't change the SliderBall sprites anyhow yet though, so I don't know what it might have got influenced by. (In case it's needed, I can send the theme so you can see yourself.)
5, Hmm I see, thanks~
6, Aha there's the problem. I am using OpenGL because it runs smoother and doesn't give my computer BSOD as much as the other option (more like it does not do that at all.) It is kinda irritating with a longer hold and welp how to play it (I couldn't see the exact way it went) >_> But oh well I can't do anythign about that then though. Thanks!

As for Skin.ini, yes I know, but better add it in the first post so people won't ask about it xD
Once again thanks for all the help! ^^ In case I would need any help I will come and ask. ^^
lSolar_old
Thank you, now I can be happy with this tutorial :3
KingisNitro
I've got another question.
What are default-[number].png used for? I've tried changing 0 but I can't see any place where it'd change. Thanks in advance!
Topic Starter
MLGnom
By default they are used as "Hitcircle numbers".
But if you have edited where they are used , they won't be changed.

This is default part in skin.ini
[Fonts]

By editing it in this way, hitcircles will use score numbers instead. (or vice versa)
[Fonts]
HitCirclePrefix: score

That's why sometimes you should use template skin.ini instead of ini from any skin.
OsuMe65

KingisNitro wrote:

I've got another question.
What are default-[number].png used for? I've tried changing 0 but I can't see any place where it'd change. Thanks in advance!

MLGnom wrote:

By default they are used as "Hitcircle numbers".
But if you have edited where they are used , they won't be changed.

This is default part in skin.ini
[Fonts]

By editing it in this way, hitcircles will use score numbers instead. (or vice versa)
[Fonts]
HitCirclePrefix: score

That's why sometimes you should use template skin.ini instead of ini from any skin.
that's right
at first, i'm confused but i realized it as soon as i made my own osu! skin

don't worry, there may be a lot of discoveries [maybe]
[like play-unranked.png]
SPOILER
here's the picture:
KingisNitro
@MLGnom, OsuMe65; Thank you both! I actually copied the template, renamed the copy and started editing it; I couldn't see the change because I only edited 0 xD And you don't see that one that often. I've tried editing 1 now and it works perfectly. Thanks for help again! ^^
OsuMe65

KingisNitro wrote:

@MLGnom, OsuMe65; Thank you both! I actually copied the template, renamed the copy and started editing it; I couldn't see the change because I only edited 0 xD And you don't see that one that often. I've tried editing 1 now and it works perfectly. Thanks for help again! ^^

@KingisNitro: you're welcome... :) we're always here to help... ;)

@MLGnom: new discoveries and their image dimensions:

play-unranked.png (mentioned earlier)
Dimensions: 133x30

spinner-rpm.png (NEW!)
Dimensions: 279x56

that's all i discovered that works...
Topic Starter
MLGnom
I wondering who are you asking about these things? And where are you getting this kind of information? xD
Will add them later.
OsuMe65

MLGnom wrote:

I wondering who are you asking about these things? And where are you getting this kind of information? xD
Will add them later.
i got it when i downloaded an unofficial add-on for osu
it's hard and sucks so i deleted it [except the images in the Data folder]

i'm curious about those images so i tried them one by one
and i'm surprised to see some good results

:)
Topic Starter
MLGnom
I see, so you simply got a chance to see default skin that is actually used (or was in use).
Well, okay. Thanks for sharing. :3c
OsuMe65
you're welcome
P.S.
you're still the best :)
hydrosilver
can i make a skin using micromedia flash 8 portable??
KingisNitro

OsuMe65 wrote:

KingisNitro wrote:

@KingisNitro: you're welcome... :) we're always here to help... ;)

@MLGnom: new discoveries and their image dimensions:
SPOILER

play-unranked.png (mentioned earlier)
Dimensions: 133x30

spinner-rpm.png (NEW!)
Dimensions: 279x96
that's all i discovered that works...
Oh, this seems to be useful! Thanks for more info~ (Could you maybe upload them and post links?)
And I have a question not really related to skinning but - how do you take a video? I mean, what program/online site do you use? Any video I take lags horribly so one can't see anything. :/ I'd really like to make a video preview but I can't. (I did use the Replay option instead of recording while playing.)
Topic Starter
MLGnom

KingisNitro wrote:

Oh, this seems to be useful! Thanks for more info~ (Could you maybe upload them and post links?)
And I have a question not really related to skinning but - how do you take a video? I mean, what program/online site do you use? Any video I take lags horribly so one can't see anything. :/ I'd really like to make a video preview but I can't. (I did use the Replay option instead of recording while playing.)
Personally I'm using this but you can also use this

For play-unranked.png and spinner-rpm.png simply create new file, use any size you want (larger, smaller anything that fits you) and save with correct file name. (just test it for correct size ^^)
OsuMe65
Fraps seems good enough like what MLGnom posted...

I use Camtasia 7 but the only thing is the lag during my own recordings...
:(
i just need to upgrade my pc / uninstall some useless programs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spinner-rpm.png and play-unranked's default size is the one mentioned earlier
but indeed, it can be customized depending on the skinner
show more