forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Rei Hakurei
skin it, since you can't specify it
Khorux
Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to add animations to the playfield, similar to the dancing kurousagi on this person's vid:

I'm not sure if it's part of the skin, or just video animations
Ayesha Altugle
It is made from the scorebar-colour I think.
FieryLight
Quick question: how are numbers aligned? does the centre of the image just align to the centre of the hitcircle?

Thanks in advance! =)
Hatsune Chiyo
yes, it aligned to the center of the circle :)
Hykisho
Quick question, can you make a HD skin out of a SD skin? If so, how? Do you need to recreate every sprite in HD for it?
OsuMe65
It must be the other way around.
(If you're skilled enough, why not recreate them in HD?)
-Jaunty-
Does anyone here know how to make REALLY good custom skins? If so please reply. ;) ;) ;)
Nya Nya Neko
ive got a question
what is about the key overlay
in some skins they are costumized in some not
How do I create these overlays.
I couldn't find an image in my skin
Timorisu

not94 wrote:

ive got a question
what is about the key overlay
in some skins they are costumized in some not
How do I create these overlays.
I couldn't find an image in my skin
inputoverlay-background.png

inputoverlay-key.png
Hykisho

OsuMe65 wrote:

It must be the other way around.
(If you're skilled enough, why not recreate them in HD?)
Well, I don't really know how and I'm too lazy to find out. :D
deadbeat
i know there's volume-bg.png
but what's the element for the effects volume. it is just effects-volume-bg.png?
Haskorion

deadbeat wrote:

i know there's volume-bg.png
but what's the element for the effects volume. it is just effects-volume-bg.png?
it's volume-bg-effect.png
deadbeat
excellent. thank you
P-San
Why is it that some ranking-panel s fill my screen but others only fill parts?
OsuMe65

PandaDoctor wrote:

Ranking screens vary because of their image resolutions.
Also, skin behavior matters
P-San

OsuMe65 wrote:

PandaDoctor wrote:

Ranking screens vary because of their image resolutions.
Also, skin behavior matters
What do you mean by skin behavior?
OsuMe65

that one
Khorux
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to control the speed of the scorebar-colour animation. I've tried to add extra frames to make the animation slower or delete frames to make it faster, but these frame changes only come into effect when previewing the skin. When I'm in game the animation speed is always the same no matter how many frames there are.
OsuMe65
AnimationFramerate: (value in numbers)
This code applies to skin.ini
This will help. The lower the #, the slower the animation.
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Stort wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to control the speed of the scorebar-colour animation. I've tried to add extra frames to make the animation slower or delete frames to make it faster, but these frame changes only come into effect when previewing the skin. When I'm in game the animation speed is always the same no matter how many frames there are.
I will just quote thing that I wrote 5 month ago. :D

MLGnom wrote:

That depends which one part you are actually animating.

With adding to skin.ini "AnimationFramerate: <Number of frames per second>" - This option will affect every animation that you have in your skin (except hitbursts and sliderball).
But now how to control speed with it and how to make different speed on different parts?

This is a tricky part. As stated AnimationFramrate is affecting amount of frames used per second.
Example: We have animated lifebar that contains 8 frames and animated skip button that contains 20 frames. We are setting AnimationFramerate to 4.
Full loop of lifebar animation will take 2 seconds , 5 second for skip button.
In other words The more frames you have and lower Animation Framerate is, then slower animation will be.

But now case where we want fast animation for skip and very slow for lifebar. Let's say we are using the same amount of frames as previosly stated (8 and 20)
You are setting AnimationFramerate to 10. Now you have pretty fast skip button but way too fast lifebar (less than 1 second to do loop) but you want it to be slow. So the only way is to increase amount of frames. You will need to duplicate frames few times.
Example :
scorebarcolour-0, scorebarcolour-1, scorebarcolour-2 and scorebarcolour-3 are using picture number 1. scorebarcolour-4, scorebarcolour-5, scorebarcolour-6, scorebarcolour-7 are using picture number 2 etc.

After that you will have "8 frames" as 40. So now with AnimationFramerate it will take 4 second instead less than 1.
It's not taking that much time as it's looks to duplicate frames. Generally only renaming them is a little annoying but still is possible to do this in few minutes.

(menu-back is not affected by normal duplication of frames. You need to add AnimationFramerate to control it's speed).
[ Zan ]
I don't know if this is just me but after today's update all of the hitcircle combo colours that are a part of a slider have turned black (not that I'm complaining cuz it looks pretty cool but I'm wondering if this is a glitch?)

Example:
Rio-

[ Zan ] wrote:

I don't know if this is just me but after today's update all of the hitcircle combo colours that are a part of a slider have turned black (not that I'm complaining cuz it looks pretty cool but I'm wondering if this is a glitch?)

Example:
Yes It is...
t/192473
[ Zan ]

satriobp wrote:

[ Zan ] wrote:

Example:
Yes It is...
t/192473
Thanks, didn't see that post.
Galagrawr
On one of the skins that I use, the cursortrail lasts too long for my cursor and just gets in the way, and i cant deal with it xD
How do you fix it? Thanks!
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Remove cursor-middle from skin.
Arcanine
how to get rid of fuzziness for hit circle borders

everytime i make a white one it ends up looking pixelly or w/e
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Arcanine wrote:

how to get rid of fuzziness for hit circle borders

everytime i make a white one it ends up looking pixelly or w/e
While using GIMP

For making nicer circles, use feather edges option.

Uruoki

Hatsune Chiyo wrote:

Just remembered the reason why I made my taiko-bar-right wider than the template:
because of my stretching issue :p[/box]

does it means taiko-bar-right isn't widescreen-compatible?
Just to let you know, I messed with that element for a hour. It is a pain in the ass to get perfect. I gave up.
OsuMe65

Hatsune Chiyo wrote:

Just remembered the reason why I made my taiko-bar-right wider than the template:
because of my stretching issue :p
does it means taiko-bar-right isn't widescreen-compatible?
I have doubts that taiko-bar-right stretches from left to right (assuming that taiko-bar-right has a text).
Topic Starter
MLGnom
First peppy finally fixed spinner background

[peppy] Fix spinner background opacity being completely wrong.
But next

[peppy] Restore spinner background dim. Fix using SpinnerBackground = 255,255,255 in skin.ini.
He needed to restore it. Many people are used to that dim and I understand that. But we have alternative way to fix dimming.
Great option for people who can't use editing programs and just want to have more or less dimmed spinner background.

As stated in change log, add SpinnerBackground: 255,255,255 under [colours] section to remove spinner background dim. <3

And by changing RGB code in SpinnerBackground: 255,255,255 you can manipulate colour of that dim. For example :

Hatsune Chiyo

Uruoki wrote:

Just to let you know, I messed with that element for a hour. It is a pain in the ass to get perfect. I gave up.
Actually, there IS a solution, by 'squeezing' your taiko-bar-right, but, yeah, I feel ya

OsuMe65 wrote:

I have doubts that taiko-bar-right stretches from left to right (assuming that taiko-bar-right has a text).
It DOES stretch from the right edge of taiko-bar-left, but probably only for non-standard res (4:3), as I told you earlier (or not?)..
Arcanine
wtf is a hitcircleselect
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Ctrl + F on first post of this thread :

MLGnom wrote:

Hitcircleselect
Hitcircleselect is a sprite for "selected object" in beatmap editor.
It's a blue glow on the picture.
Arcanine

MLGnom wrote:

Ctrl + F on first post of this thread :

MLGnom wrote:

Hitcircleselect
Hitcircleselect is a sprite for "selected object" in beatmap editor.
It's a blue glow on the picture.
o lord im blind. thx :3
Owntrolf
Is it possible to change Osu Mania bar positions example

|_|_|_|_| |_|_|_|_|

So that it has a space in the middle?
Hatsune Chiyo
it's okay to post a solution instead of just asking for support, right? :p
[ for widescreen (16:10/16:9) skinners ]

I'm assuming you've already saw my post about stretching taiko-bar-right issue, so I'm giving y'all a solution :

Make the taiko-bar-right(-glow) HALF of the size template, which is originally 845*200 to 423*200, But, instead of just a canvas resize, do an image resize, or 'squeeze' your image.

NOTE: For Photoshop users don't add any blending options (glows, shadows) AFTER you 'squeeze' the image. Instead, flatten your layers first, then resize.
Same thing goes for any image editor.

But there's a catch:
your taiko-bar-right WILL be blurry (looks like you've just used a JPG on this element/not HD even on standard). A possible workaround would be make this element the only HD element on a standard resolution skin, thus the element dimension would be 845 x 400 (haven't tested yet, If anyone have tested this, let me know :D )

as an example below, I've just ONLY 'squeezed' the text, but method I gave above will work, hopefully.

this solution is dedicated to Uruoki, who has messed with this element for an hour, and finally gave up :p
Don't giving up, Uruoki, you can do this~! :D
Cataku
Is it possible to have the two taiko circles (red and blue) have different images? I tried taikocircleoverlay0 and 1 but it wouldn't work D:

Also, I got a custom taiko pippidon.. which disappears after the idle time. Vanishes and doesn't come back again.. Any idea why that happens?
ninfiia
hello, i was wondering how you would go about making the taiko-slider transparent?
Hatsune Chiyo

Tokiiko wrote:

hello, i was wondering how you would go about making the taiko-slider transparent?
Put a transparent taiko-slider instead of not skinning it (this will make your skin uses default taiko-slider)
Here, use mine, if you're too lazy :p
SPOILER

yes, it's there, right click and save :D

Cataku wrote:

Is it possible to have the two taiko circles (red and blue) have different images? I tried taikocircleoverlay0 and 1 but it wouldn't work D:

Also, I got a custom taiko pippidon.. which disappears after the idle time. Vanishes and doesn't come back again.. Any idea why that happens?
1. No, you can't. taikohitcircleoverlay# is for animated overlay (?) You can only have different images for normal and big notes..

2. Probably you're missing some images that is required:
Quoting from this thread:

The rules of the character (thx to peppy) :

clear animation
animates with sequence: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 5 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

pippidonclear0
pippidonclear1
pippidonclear2
pippidonclear3
pippidonclear4
pippidonclear5
pippidonclear6