forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
MLGnom

hydrosilver wrote:

what will i do when is unable to import? :?
What do you mean? What you are unable to import?
OsuMe65

MLGnom wrote:

hydrosilver wrote:

what will i do when is unable to import? :?
What do you mean? What you are unable to import?
he meant the .osk file
[he was unable to import the osu! Skin]
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Personally I don't know how to help with this problem. I think it's often caused by opening .osk file without osu! running. (via .osk you will launch osu!). Simply try again with having osu! already running.
Tringley
I dont get it, am i supposed to have a skin.ini file downloaded? I got a templateskin.osk file from the HERE thingy in the tutorial, i dont understand how im supposed to make a skin.ini out of it ._.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
After adding skin, you can find skin.ini inside template skin folder.
Tringley

MLGnom wrote:

After adding skin, you can find skin.ini inside template skin folder.
Thank you c:
JeSsYkA_old
Thank yoou [2] :3
pyransc
How can i change SliderBallFlip in beatmap skin??
KingisNitro

pyransc wrote:

I don't think it's possible in Beatmap skin, however better wait for a response from MLGnom or OsuMe65.

However in the skin as a whole, you can change it in skin.ini. (Which is missing in skins just for specific beatmaps.)
OsuMe65

pyransc wrote:

it is possible...

put a skin.ini and set SliderBallFlip at 0 (no flip) or 1 (with flip)
i tried it recently
:)

Example of a skin.ini (for beatmaps)
[General]
SliderBallFlip: 0
CursorRotate: 0
CursorExpand: 1
CursorCentre: 1
SliderBallFrames: 10
SliderStyle: 2
HitCircleOverlayAboveNumer: 0
CustomComboBurstSounds: 50,100,200,300,400,500

[Colours]

Combo1: 255,150,0
Combo2: 5,240,5
Combo3: 5,5,240
Combo4: 240,5,5
Combo5: 240,5,5

SliderBorder: 237,237,237
//SliderTrackOverride: 0,0,0
SpinnerApproachCircle: 77,139,217
StarBreakAdditive: 0,109,220

SongSelectActiveText: 0,58,90
SongSelectInactiveText: 255,255,255

[Fonts]
HitCirclePrefix: default
HitCircleOverlap: 3
ScorePrefix: score
ScoreOverlap: 3
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Since when you can add skin.ini to beatmaps? Are you sure you disabled "SliderballFlip" in your skin before testing? Because skin.ini of your skin will affect beatmap skins.
OsuMe65
oh sorry...
i didn't noticed that earleir

^^V

P.S.
told ya... i'm very old even f i'm 13
pyransc
Then it is impossible to do? I no have any idea how i can do this. It's a pity.
OsuMe65

pyransc wrote:

yes, it is impossible...
-_-

[hoping that it's possible :( but doesn't matter anyomore]
Topic Starter
MLGnom

pyransc wrote:

In the future probably will be beatmap skin.ini but right now it's impossible to do. :<
WASSHOI
It isn't possible to change the colors of song select tabs?
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Which one tabs?
ziin

pyransc wrote:

Put it in skin.ini and call the skin. Every time someone puts a skin in a beatmap, I feel like they just gave me the middle finger.

WASSHOI wrote:

You can only change the text colour. Menu-button-background.png is coloured into white, blue, red, pink, or orange via reducing the RGB channels. Red, for example, is achieved by removing the blue and green channels. You can use this to make different colours, but many colours are just not possible.
WASSHOI

MLGnom wrote:

Which one tabs?
menu-button-background.png, the colors that are used for unselected tracks, unopened folders, unplayed songs, etc.

ziin wrote:

WASSHOI wrote:

You can only change the text colour. Menu-button-background.png is coloured into white, blue, red, pink, or orange via reducing the RGB channels. Red, for example, is achieved by removing the blue and green channels. You can use this to make different colours, but many colours are just not possible.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Has Peppy ever said he was against that part of osu! being skinnable? I'd image a lot of people would rather use their own color values, especially if they have a skin themed around a set of colors already.
OsuMe65

WASSHOI wrote:

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Has Peppy ever said he was against that part of osu! being skinnable? I'd image a lot of people would rather use their own color values, especially if they have a skin themed around a set of colors already.
Yes...
[title.png]

this title.png is a forbidden part in a skin...
you need to put it in the "Data" folder of osu! (replacing the 1x1 title.png) in order to work...

[and peppy doesn't allow any skinner to do that (even most skinners disobey this)]
Topic Starter
MLGnom

OsuMe65 wrote:

Yes...
[title.png]

this title.png is a forbidden part in a skin...
you need to put it in the "Data" folder of osu! (replacing the 1x1 title.png) in order to work...

[and peppy doesn't allow any skinner to do that (even most skinners disobey this)]
The hell you are talking about? He asked about menu-button-background colours not about title.png. Read again his post.

WASSHOI wrote:

I think there was a topic about this, but I don't remember if peppy was against about changing these colours. But I think he wouldn't like to change them. Yeah I know it doesn't help anyway...
OsuMe65

MLGnom wrote:

The hell you are talking about? He asked about menu-button-background colours not about title.png. Read again his post.
i forgot...
but i know that it's forbidden
and i'm still 13... give much patience plz...
-_-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for the colours... no news... -_-
waiting for a new one
:|
rikku_hanamura
Nice..
i wanna test this
Hakito
Doesn't seem like anyone knows of this one: options-background.png

The image I used is 1100x780, and I can't be bothered to find the exact size...
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Hakito wrote:

Hah. I will check and test for size later. Thanks for information.
OsuMe65

Hakito wrote:

it's legit

thanks for the information
OsuMe65
i created some ranking-winner and spinner-rpm that looks like the default ones... (but not look exactly as the default ones)

http://puu.sh/MDVv

Don-Tan
nice theard :) but does anyone know how the slider-like things between the fruits in catch the beat are called :?: (filename) i can't find it :?
OsuMe65

xXDoNiXx wrote:

nice theard :) but does anyone know how the slider-like things between the fruits in catch the beat are called :?: (filename) i can't find it :?
well... if you mean the droplets between the fruits, it is called fruit-drop.png. it comes along with fruit-drop-overlay.png (if i'm correct...) for a stylish look...

but if you mean something else, then i don't know...
Don-Tan
yeah thx that was what i meant XD
WASSHOI

Hakito wrote:

Mind posting the exact image you used?
Don-Tan
i tested it and for me it fits perfectly in 1024x768

here is the prove :<
WASSHOI

xXDoNiXx wrote:

i tested it and for me it fits perfectly in 1024x768

here is the prove :<
What point in the image do you cut off the top so the image won't overlap the black bar on top?
Don-Tan
you have to include the black bar on the top cause if you don't add the black bar osu goes LSD XD

options-background.png example without the black bar on the top:

i hope this could answer your question :)
OsuMe65

xXDoNiXx wrote:

you have to include the black bar on the top cause if you don't add the black bar osu goes LSD XD

you can exclude the black bar if you take the risk of this "LSD"
if not, then use a black bar
WASSHOI

xXDoNiXx wrote:

Is the black bar a separate skin element? Or is there a point in your background image where you need to manually cut off and make your own bar?
Hakito

WASSHOI wrote:

xXDoNiXx wrote:

*Space Saver*
Is the black bar a separate skin element? Or is there a point in your background image where you need to manually cut off and make your own bar?
... No... The bar is part of options-background.png, and it should be around 85 pixels high.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Ehh... I was hoping for someone to explain this instead of me... but I see I must do this.
So let's begin.

1. So "options-background.png" doesn't have constant size like spinner-background or anything else in gameplay. What I mean? That you must remember about people that use different aspect ratio : 16:9, 4:3, 16:10 etc.
So if you are going to add it to skin and release, remember to add different sizes of this for different people.

2. Simple example how it's look for me as I'm using 4:3 (1280x960).

3. "But the tabs looks bad!" - Don't worry, these tabs are 83px lower than top of the picture.

4. So let me show you quick example how could it look if you want edit it.

So basically you should use size 1024x768 or 1024x600 but this is up to you.

Don't make it transparent because things will mess up!
OsuMe65

MLGnom wrote:

Ehh... I was hoping for someone to explain this instead of me... but I see I must do this.
So let's begin.

1. So "options-background.png" doesn't have constant size like spinner-background or anything else in gameplay. What I mean? That you must remember about people that use different aspect ratio : 16:9, 4:3, 16:10 etc.
So if you are going to add it to skin and release, remember to add different sizes of this for different people.

2. Simple example how it's look for me as I'm using 4:3 (1280x960).

3. "But the tabs looks bad!" - Don't worry, these tabs are 83px lower than top of the picture.

4. So let me show you quick example how could it look if you want edit it.

So basically you should use size 1024x768 or 1024x600 but this is up to you.

Don't make it transparent because things will mess up!
any size is legit enough for a basic design... even it is 16:9, 4:3, 16:10 blah, blah, blah... (i used a 1366x768 options-background)

but for images, one size is no good

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: thank you, MLGnom for a wonderful explanation... :)
Dark_Ai
How can I use options-background btw ??
show more