forum

I've always wondered!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CrescendoFuri
How many people here play maps of songs they truly like, and how many people just play whatever map they can get their hands on in order to better their rank? Nothing against either type of player, just wanting to get a little more involved with the community and to further understand them.

I'm somewhere in between, I play more stuff I like but if there's something that just seems good despite not knowing it I'll grab it.
45Traeath
Side comment

SuiGeneris wrote:

just wanting to get a little more involved with the community and to further understand them.
Only for that, I would have thought it wouldn't belong to "G&P", but then I saw this:
Gameplay & Rankings
Discuss your scores, strategies etc. Challenge people. Anything about playing Osu!
I don't know how to react anymore.
Back to the question, my answer is quite the same as this:

SuiGeneris wrote:

I'm somewhere in between, I play more stuff I like but if there's something that just seems good despite not knowing it I'll grab it.
I could expand on the reasons, but I don't have time '-'
iridi
I don't recognize a lot of songs that I end up playing so I can't say I love or necessarily like all of it. But I DO avoid things I definitely do not like (e.g. country, excessive screaming, most metal). Occasionally I'll search around for artists/songs I love but most aren't mapped, or when they are, they're really crappy unranked maps that aren't worth playing.
Banbeucmas
I just find songs that Sound pretty nice to hear, mostly Cookiezi stream have a lot of them
Red Moon
Most songs I like only have hard maps, so I aim to play them one day :(
Edgar_Figaro
Personally I do a mixture. I will go out of my way to play maps of music that I like but I also am willing to download almost any map to improve as long as the preview of the song doesn't disgust me.

I will admit I do have a stigma about downloading mutiple maps for the same song over and over. Not that I am but if I were a BN I would only bubble songs that didn't already have a ranked beatmap set for as I think Osu needs more music and not repeats of the same thing over and over. Exception would be people mapping the same song but to a game mode that wasn't done before.
Domo3311
I mainly play unranked maps because there are better songs there :^)
Endaris

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Personally I do a mixture. I will go out of my way to play maps of music that I like but I also am willing to download almost any map to improve as long as the preview of the song doesn't disgust me.

I will admit I do have a stigma about downloading mutiple maps for the same song over and over. Not that I am but if I were a BN I would only bubble songs that didn't already have a ranked beatmap set for as I think Osu needs more music and not repeats of the same thing over and over. Exception would be people mapping the same song but to a game mode that wasn't done before.
Pretty much this. Even though I'm taking it slower on the improving part.
chainpullz
I just play whatever I feel like. Rank is just a number at the end of the day.
Runiel
I used to play whatever 3* + DT for ranks.
Nowadays, i only play maps that has nice songs and fun.
I Give Up

SuiGeneris wrote:

How many people here play maps of songs they truly like, and how many people just play whatever map they can get their hands on in order to better their rank?
The hardest thing for me about this game is the music honestly. It took me so long to be able to build resistance to a lot of these japanese meta maps, because I personally can't stand cutesie anime music. I can tolerate most of it now. But if its dubstep, metal, trap, groove rock, speedcore, orchestral, game music, piano, then I have no problem grinding these maps all day. I like a wide variety of genres so I won't list them all, but (most) anime/loli music is definitely not in my list.
JeromeTT
I just get whatever beatmap it gives me in the Ranked beatmaps section.
gooder101
Most of the time i find the songs and maps good,maybe because i have low expectations.
Cheers.
Fxjlk
I only play songs that I like, unless I think I'm decently under ranked for my skill level and then farm for a while. 95% fun maps 5% farm
o x
I used to do both, I would play maps just to improve my rank but recently I just play maps and songs i enjoy. I am not taking the game very serious at the moment :)
StephOsu
PP has the priority I play songs that looks fun or sounds nice
KupcaH

StephOsu wrote:

PP has the priority I play songs that looks fun or sounds nice
tatoe
Endie-
I play everything and love everything
Ideal
i just play anything for fun
pls enjoy game
Jude
i just play whatever my ears can sink into. i'm not that big of a fan of most music here, so i just go with "ok" and go from that to practice. but like if i can't stand a song or it's just plain boring i delete it as soon as i start playing
mizuki-chan
i try to give every map a chance, even if i dont like the music that much.
if i dont like the music , i play it only once.
if i like the music, i play it more than once.
if the mapping annoys me as hell, i play it once regardless of the music.
KeXagon
I think you have to find the middle of that. But never forget that it's just a game to entertain. I usually play beatmaps I like of songs I like. But when I feel to play for pp, I play some other maps. However, in opinion you get the best osu! records with songs you really love to hear.
Espionage724
I play songs only if I like them (with the exception of multiplayer matches; I play whatever is chosen).
Rektango

KukiMonster wrote:

SuiGeneris wrote:

How many people here play maps of songs they truly like, and how many people just play whatever map they can get their hands on in order to better their rank?
The hardest thing for me about this game is the music honestly. It took me so long to be able to build resistance to a lot of these japanese meta maps, because I personally can't stand cutesie anime music. I can tolerate most of it now. But if its dubstep, metal, trap, groove rock, speedcore, orchestral, game music, piano, then I have no problem grinding these maps all day. I like a wide variety of genres so I won't list them all, but (most) anime/loli music is definitely not in my list.
highly agree with you here. theres just certain genres that i can't play
Charre
If I see a song I like, I download it. if I see a song that has a difficulty that I think I can do okay on, I download it. If I don't like a song or if I don't agree with how its mapped I delete.
KtkC

KukiMonster wrote:

SuiGeneris wrote:

Literally this

I don't care about rank but playing the same song over and over again, even if I like it, gets old fast. That's probably how f2p o2jam died back in the MGame days, not enough accessible songs. Got old fast

I won't play a song I won't like though. Don't see how that's worth it, I'm playing a music rhythm game for fun here, you know? :)