forum

What is wrong with CTB and how to fix it

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kyptoric
Tbh I think people should just stop caring and not do threads like this and or stop complaining about everything like amlink
DeletedUser_6709840

Fantasy wrote:

how to fix ctb

dont play it, k solved it
Coming from the drama lord himself, smh.

On the original topic: Pretty much the community is either, from my personal experience when it comes to how the cancer gets started, 1. Too easily disgruntled over subjective stuff that often doesn't matter (like PP or mapping meta, DQs, opinions in general), 2. Don't really care so they don't participate (which can sometimes be for the best) or 3. Actively trying to start trouble due to either their own personal issues or boredom.

The chat at this point has become a meme factory and communication between players and mappers is downright shameful. We're low on modders and nominators to bring good maps into the light and the community itself is tiny and bound to cause issues quickly. There's not much that can be done about it other than remember to respect on another and be civil.
If you can't do that, then how do you expect to fix the drama?

I think one of the ways that can help is if more diverse maps are created and if we just trying to understand one another. Otherwise, Ctb is just gonna stay stagnant.

I have hope for some change after the next BN exams though, since our community isnt dead yet.
Topic Starter
o x

Kyptoric wrote:

Tbh I think people should just stop caring and not do threads like this and or stop complaining about everything like amlink
I dont see anything wrong with having a discussion thread about a topic everyone talks about in #ctb anyways
CrescendoFuri
Well, I just want to throw my hand in there and say I haven't been around online in forever to see the CtB community and such but I look at it as a whole from what I read, people should stop blaming the entire community and point out the people that are causing the issues, preferably in private, and handle them. It really worries me how my last online CtB was years ago yet the rank I'm at would be high for standard, I'm totally willing to meet the good upstanding members of the community, and even though I know there's issues, I'm still totally willing to join it in hopes that it can be better one day. This was more sparked by the fact I can actually be proud of myself in CtB.

But aside from that I think it's more just call people out on their garbage and show that it isn't the full community and more certain individuals. Because it appears as though everyone is like that which isn't true since people are trying to fix it, so if it's brought to light the people that cause trouble then the other's will be seen as the good members they are.

Yeah I know I'm new and my online rank is probably garbage, so my words probably don't have the same weight as people much higher ranked. But I wouldn't feel right joining a community in trouble and not trying to fix it to be something that I'd want to be in.
Topic Starter
o x

SuiGeneris wrote:

call people out on their garbage and show that it isn't the full community and more certain individuals.
I know what you mean, there ae good people in the community and they shouldn't be bunched with the people who arent so good.

SuiGeneris wrote:

Yeah I know I'm new and my online rank is probably garbage, so my words probably don't have the same weight as people much higher ranked.
Your online ranking doesnt mean you cant voice your opinion, most people wont decide whether your post is good or not based on rank

SuiGeneris wrote:

But I wouldn't feel right joining a community in trouble and not trying to fix it to be something that I'd want to be in.
This is what I mean when i say it feels like new players are being pushed away because of how people are in #ctb
iiyo
has nothing to do with drama im saying the real fix, stop talking about fixing ctb, theres nothing wrong with it. just enjoy the game and play. If you think theres something wrong with the community then ingore it, Community is subjective many people see it differently, #ctb is a lot like #osu and #mania. the only real community i consider "real" is taiko, but taiko is closed off and its very inside, ctb is outside, meaning a lot of discord servers and skype communities are more predominate. I still remember #ctbterror, good ol' times
CrescendoFuri

Fantasy wrote:

has nothing to do with drama im saying the real fix, stop talking about fixing ctb, theres nothing wrong with it. just enjoy the game and play. If you think theres something wrong with the community then ingore it, Community is subjective many people see it differently, #ctb is a lot like #osu and #mania. the only real community i consider "real" is taiko, but taiko is closed off and its very inside, ctb is outside, meaning a lot of discord servers and skype communities are more predominate. I still remember #ctbterror, good ol' times
At the risk of sounding stupid, but what do you mean by "the real fix", gameplay wise I don't think there's anything I believe needs fixing, I just enjoy the game as is.

I see osu! is a community based game and people shouldn't have to go to somewhere else just to be with other players, they should all be able to get on the game and talk and whatnot, and it's hard to ignore such a predominant issue, because if ignoring it was a possibility there wouldn't be this thread and it be so full.

Also thanks for responding so much to me Cawub. I just wanted to put in what I saw and felt.

EDIT: I also see as there shouldn't be real or fake communities, people should just get along and play the game, but since it's the internet that's too much to wish for.
iiyo
you have much to learn grasshopper
CrescendoFuri
Fantasy, I probably do, but being quiet and sheltered isn't the way to learn.
Topic Starter
o x

Fantasy wrote:

stop talking about fixing ctb, theres nothing wrong with it.
Mappers getting death threats isnt something wrong? #CTB is pretty bad now its mostly meme spam. Some people may like that but it gets to the point where it keeps players from wanting to play ctb and talk in #ctb. The reason I kept playing CTB was because all the people were nice to talk to and it was fun talking in #ctb. I'm not saying there arent good people I'm saying I don't like talking in #ctb because all anyone really does is spam memes. The lack of mods in #ctb dont help either.

Fantasy wrote:

If you think theres something wrong with the community then ingore it, Community is subjective many people see it differently
Community is a subjective matter but community is what keeps osu! alive. If mappers in the community keep quitting because of the ctb community there wont be much to play. I am voicing my opinion and it seems like people agree with what I said. If you ignore problems how are they every going to get fixed.

You may not see that there is anything wrong but I do, and that's why I made this thread. If you don't agree with me you can just ignore me.
MBomb

Cawub wrote:

Fantasy wrote:

stop talking about fixing ctb, theres nothing wrong with it.
Mappers getting death threats isnt something wrong? #CTB is pretty bad now its mostly meme spam. Some people may like that but it gets to the point where it keeps players from wanting to play ctb and talk in #ctb. The reason I kept playing CTB was because all the people were nice to talk to and it was fun talking in #ctb. I'm not saying there arent good people I'm saying I don't like talking in #ctb because all anyone really does is spam memes. The lack of mods in #ctb dont help either.
Whilst I appreciate that this is still a bad thing, I'm assuming the "mappers getting death threats" thing is referring to the death threats I got, however, this only actually happened like three times, all around the same point in time, so whilst it is an issue, mentioning it this much makes it seem a lot more common than it actually is (Although, maybe there are other mappers who have got these too, and I just never heard of these cases).
Stefan

Cawub wrote:

#ctb used to be quite active a while ago even with less players, but now it ends with everyone repeating each other and spamming nonsense more than less. Some people may find the chat fine like this but I want to go back to having it as active as it used to be instead of going inactive every 10 minutes.
I've barely seen #ctb being /really/ active but that could be me. Also, 10 minutes without a message is considered as "inactive chat"?

Cawub wrote:

Lots of the drama/arguments that have been happening in #ctb aren't even related to CTB and they just go into #ctb to vent. Venting isn't bad but I wish they would find somewhere else to do it.
It isn't necessarily required that the topic is ctb-related since the channel is created for the community, not for the mode mainly. Obviously, things which are too sensitive shouldn't be topics to talk about.

Cawub wrote:

I want people to more constructive if they hate a map and tell the mapper what they don't like about said map. If not it's just useless hate that no one benefits from which usually results in mappers getting upset that their maps get bad rating. (Mostly agree with what Kurokami said in his post)
I tried that a lot of times with #taiko and #german to explain why they call xyz map as shit. it doesn't work to 100% however. Some may try at least to explain but other players will just dislike it because they hate how it plays, you don't need a specific reason for this. sure, shittalking shouldn't become something common but then again you can't stop one saying they dislike the map. You can try to tell them they should use a better wording to describe their opinion but that's all.
iiyo
death threats on a fruit catching game? oh man

when fruit becomes serious
Ibuki Mioda

Fantasy wrote:

death threats on a fruit catching game? oh man

when fruit becomes serious
Would be suprised. Some take mapping way too serious and sometimes takes it out on whoever made it thinking it has to be perfect or a certain mapping style. That happened to Shiro when that Wagakki Band - Tengaku map was ranked, which was a lot more publicly involved.
Buster
how to make #ctb better
-have more ctb players
-ban butthurt people
-add more #ctb moderators
-ban butthurt and mean ctb nominators
Colin
why is this forum post still alive?
zove
The game mode is a little rough around the edges *cough Cough* star rating system *cough cough*, but the gameplay mechanics aren't the problem its the community. People dislike maps being not worth what they are worth and start trouble with the mappers when in all honesty its not there fault its the games the mechanics cause the game to rate the maps what they are not the mapper. I whole heartedly believe that if the SR system was more accurate CLSW and Koli's (there are more mappers but they are the most known ctb mappers so I think of them first don't ride my ass plz thx) maps would be exactly the same just worth less. The map with the super hard jumps but few FC's would have more FC's if it was rated accurately because PP draws more attention and more motivation to complete something.

I do believe that the community would be much better if we could all get along but in reality that is impossible. Its not possible for everyone to like everyone else but why do some people go out of there way to explain they don't like someone in a public chat. Its one thing going to pm and saying "I hate ****** because he has a bad attitude..." it should stay on the pm and be final. Drama should not go out to #ctb or twitter or youtube. People should learn to keep hatred private and ignore the person you dislike. If the person you dislike is irritating you or pming you then ignore him/block him.

I understand I am an irrelevant player. I am guilty of doing some of the things I mentioned that are wrong, but I enjoy ctb and conversing in #ctb and I would hate to see that all go away because of some pitty drama about mappers or players.

P.S necro bump cause I like to converse

P.S.S Pumpkin Collab Hella OP
Rurree
If players would stop meddling with other players' affairs, that'd be great.

There's nothing much to fix really. The game is fun, the community is decent, pp is pp... Can't see anything worth complaining about unless you're salty as fuck with your own rank because you're firm in not wanting to farm pp maps. (which is okay, but please, don't call people out for farming, why should you care anyway?)

CTB is nice and all, but going full drama over trivial shit like this stupid, imho..
Ibuki Mioda

Rurree wrote:

If players would stop meddling with other players' affairs, that'd be great.

There's nothing much to fix really. The game is fun, the community is decent, pp is pp... Can't see anything worth complaining about unless you're salty as fuck with your own rank because you're firm in not wanting to farm pp maps. (which is okay, but please, don't call people out for farming, why should you care anyway?)

CTB is nice and all, but going full drama over trivial shit like this stupid, imho..

Goes a little deeper than just maps, ranks, pp, or things like that. Have seen a number of people straight out never log back on a single time due to some of the things that goes around on in forums. Some transfer over to the game also, it hasn't really happened much lately, then again there is only the same people on as usual. Have seen a lot of new people wanting to get started but they keep disappearing not long after for some reason.
Ascendance
here's how we fix ctb:

1. ignore the imaginary numbers on your profile
  2. don't blame mappers because their maps give pp
  3. shut the fuck up about farming
  4. move on with our lives because in 2 years no one will give a damn if you SS'd image material and got top 50
Ibuki Mioda

Ascendance wrote:

here's how we fix ctb:

1. ignore the imaginary numbers on your profile
  2. don't blame mappers because their maps give pp
  3. shut the fuck up about farming
  4. move on with our lives because in 2 years no one will give a damn if you SS'd image material and got top 50
lol sounds about right.
Topic Starter
o x
As a lot of people have been mentioning that people need to stop caring about rank and pp I don't see anything wrong with it. osu! is a competitive game if you want to play it as such so aiming for higher score or rank isn't a problem in my eyes. I agree some people take it too far sometimes but generally it shouldn't matter how others choose to play the game.

Cawub wrote:

I'm assuming the "mappers getting death threats" thing is referring to the death threats I got
I wasn't referring to the threats you got nor was I aware of them, this also shows it's a bit more common.

Stefan wrote:

It isn't necessarily required that the topic is ctb-related since the channel is created for the community, not for the mode mainly. Obviously, things which are too sensitive shouldn't be topics to talk about.
The reason I made the point that lots of arguments weren't even ctb related was because I would see personal arguments and people arguing about things that imo shouldn't be in #ctb

Lolinator2000 wrote:

add more #ctb moderators
Ascendance
I don't blame the people who want to play the game competitively. I play osustandard and ctb and my main goal is to rank up, regardless of the maps or mods I have to play. My MAIN issue is those competitve players who cry about every new map and say "I wont play image material cause its too easy" then say "waaa why is everyone passing me stupid farmers". Farming is literally just playing the game. By saying "don't farm" it's like saying "don't play".
He Ang CTB
The chat becomes inactive more often than before

If I become the chat mod it'll be full of me talking nonsense all day :O But if I do that now probably get silenced :X Ask Wesley why he got silenced that time XD

There is tons of drama surrounding ctb

It's just a few people D: And arguments aren't bad, I don't see why players deem every public disagreement and debate as "making trouble". It's not making trouble if they don't bomb your house or something. Policing drama will result in The chat becomes inactive more often than before, because people are not allowed to make unpopular comments/conversations, so all you see in the chat is pretty much "Motion's new 2 miss DT on Big Black and hyper saying uaaa". #ctb should not be an all time foolishly happy place, that's what I think. Of course there are people who do name callings and public defamations and false accusations with bad intentions and bringing personal conflicts to the public eye etc, these are what we often associate as "drama". My advice to these people would be to make personal affairs personal, bringing it to the public will make it worse. Otherwise if people have legitimate arguments to raise, we should not pressure them not to just because we are offended by honest disagreements.

There is a lot of hate towards CTB mappers

I don't hate them D: But there are real problems I find with many maps. Firstly too many long maps have no breaks, and slow sections are not the same as breaks. It's just like how doing less homework is different from sleeping. Please have minimally 2 breaks in maps that are above 5 minutes. Also this links to the overall problem of many maps being overly saturated. Way too many 1/8s 1/4s on supposedly "simplistic music". Maps that has more 1/2s and 1/1s are very challenging like NevereverLand Avalon WingMyWay etc. This is the main reason players find pp system broken, is that pp system favours speed over accuracy, which can be applied in all other modes fairly well with the exception of CTB. Unless Tom revives or someone takes over his position, sadly we'll have to sit idly and wait for things to happen :C
Shocolade_old
What is wrong with CtB?
If you're talking about the game itself, i would say it's no longer interesting to play ctb competitively. Just competitively, it's still fun in general, fun ctb maps still getting ranked everytime. The problem is competitive players can never be satisfied with that. Just having fun to play without achieving what they want isn't enough. In the end, they will get aggresive towards the mappers and the war between "people who supports mappers" and "people who hates pp system" starts, leading to dramas and butthurted players. Personally, i think it's impossible to just say "stop caring about ranks and pp" because they're the big aspects that makes the game more interesting, every competitive game. But, it's also wrong to blame people who contributes so much to the community and treat them as people who destroyed everyone's fun by ranking overrated SR maps.
Still though, if mappers would just take consideration to the maps they're going to rank and how it will affect the ctb pp system which is unbalanced, and ofcourse players who can't accept it, they won't be getting so much disrespect as they are now. (you know it's for the sake of this game not for each individual).
I respect mappers, i enjoy their work and i'm not here to insult, but to give opinion ;)
Topic Starter
o x

Ascendance wrote:

Farming is literally just playing the game.
I don't see anything wrong with the term "farming" it isn't a bad thing in my eyes. If someone wants to farm ranks and improve then good for them. But people that criticise that person just because they don't play like them are wrong imo.

He Ang Erika

He Ang Erika wrote:

And arguments aren't bad
I am not saying arguments are bad. Criticism is a good thing that everyone can benefit from as long as it's constructive, what I am saying is that when people argue about senseless personal problems in public chats it's annoying. I would prefer people keeping their personal affairs private.

He Ang Erika wrote:

Firstly too many long maps have no breaks, and slow sections are not the same as breaks.
I actually disagree with you on this point. I love long maps and maps that don't have breaks. I feel like if the song doesn't call for a break there shouldn't be one. I like mapping that follows the song not mapping that just follows the parts where complex and fast patterns can be used. This is more just our different liking in mapping styles :c

He Ang Erika wrote:

pp system favours speed over accuracy
This ties in with the point above, I feel like players with higher stamina should be rewarded for being able to keep consistent accuracy through long maps and now just from short bursts.

Shocolade

Shocolade wrote:

it's no longer interesting to play ctb competitively
I still have lots of fun playing CTB competitively, I am happy with how far I got so that is why I am taking a break.

Shocolade wrote:

if mappers would just take consideration to the maps they're going to rank and how it will affect the ctb pp system which is unbalanced, and ofcourse players who can't accept it, they won't be getting so much disrespect as they are now.
I don't think mappers should have to change the style of mapping they have just because some people don't like the pp system. Mappers should be allowed to map whatever they please and not get mindless hate for it just because the pp system decided to overweight the map.

Shocolade wrote:

i'm not here to insult, but to give opinion
:) Thanks for your opinion!
Badis
:?

Ascendance wrote:

here's how we fix ctb:
[*] move on with our lives because in 2 years no one will give a damn if you SS'd image material and got top 50[/list]
This is true actually , like I remember a time when SS airman was dope lmao :V