forum

Unable to install. [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
:|

I've been wanting to play this forever and finally got a new computer. Except it won't install.

Upon launching the installer it wants to download .NET, I've already installed .NET 4 so I continue past that part.
Then near the end of installation it will error "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.", Then it uninstalls.

If I try again but attempt launching Osu from /Program Files/osu!/ it will give me this error ".NET Framework Intialization Error / Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application.".

Other apps that use .NET install and function properly.
Running XP Home SP3.
On a side, This computer does not have internet access and .NET was installed via the Installer app downloaded onto a FAT32 formatted flash drive earlier today.

Hope this is enough info to help diagnose my problem. *takes out DS and EBA in the meantime*

edit: I forgot, I've already restarted since installing .NET 4.
Echo
Download the updater and put it in your osu! folder (by default C:\Program Files\osu!) and try running it from there. It should download all the necessary files.
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
As I said(or did I?), I don't have Internet on that computer.

Do you know if that might work if I use a different computer to do that and then send the files via flash drive to mine?
Randy96
It should
Echo

Weremuffin wrote:

Do you know if that might work if I use a different computer to do that and then send the files via flash drive to mine?
Why wouldn't it?
peppy
Install .net framework v2. It is linked on the download page.
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
@Echo: I'll be trying that first.
Also, I figured "osu" did something like assigning a unique ID to each to computer to prevent cheating high scores, So sending to another computer would make it not work/disable high scores.
That's why I asked.

@Peppy: Ah, The creator(yes?). So I shall need to downgrade?
Hm, Okay. I'll do (almost)anything to be able to play this.
Also Happy "Over 9000" Post Count.

edit: Well the Echo suggestion doesn't seem to work, Gonna try Peppy's suggestion.
peppy
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
Yes, I heard(well, read) you the first time.
I know it says 2.0+, So I had installed 4.0 since it was newest.

So I'll be downgrading from 4 to 2 and see if that does anything.

edit: Not sure if this place has Double Posting or Necro Posting rules, So editing this.

Got .NET 2 installed, Game works perfectly.
Guy-kun
4 to 2 is not a downgrade.
.net 4 functions on top of .net 2, if .net 2 is broken, everything that uses it is broken.