forum

Gradual BPM changes.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +22
Topic Starter
kup
There are a lot of beatmaps with bpm changes which don't happen in an instant, but gradually change over time.
The way to work with this at the moment is to have a lot of timing points with increasing bpms which match the song at the points time.
I'm suggesting a system which allows the BPM to gradually change over time from one timing point to another.
A way to visualise it is with this.
Frozen_Rhythm
Will really help mappers. I like it.
CaptainET
Same with audio!
Endaris
If you know that it is a constantly increasing bpm during a section, placing the according timing sections barely takes a minute.
I'm not against it but I don't really deem it necessary.
Bara-
'A lot'
Please define a lot. I have 8000 beatmaps, and the only one I can think of which has it is DeltaMax. Setting Red lines isn't that much of a hassle though
WingSilent
You got a point, it'll help a lot of mappers, including myself.
Seijiro
As if there are tons of mappers taking up such kind of song.
Gradual BPM increase/decrease is almost as easy as finding a single BPM, not to mention how when music is produced it doesn't use a gradual BPM either but rather a BPM reset every new downbeat.
Knowing this I can state it would actually be troublesome to get the exact snaps for your notes with such BPM you're asking for.

On a more personal note, this feels really like a request made by those who barely touched any harder timing than a single BPM per song.
It's not a problem if you didn't but as someone who can do it I can ensure you that contant increasing/decreasing BPM is easy as pie to determine.
If ever, I'd rather have something to help us with really complex stuff and not this. (since as I said it takes nothing)
Full Tablet

MrSergio wrote:

[...] when music is produced it doesn't use a gradual BPM either but rather a BPM reset every new downbeat.
Knowing this I can state it would actually be troublesome to get the exact snaps for your notes with such BPM you're asking for.
It depends on what method was used to change the bpm in the music. For example, if one takes a song with constant bpm, and applies a pitch/tempo bending effect, then the bpm during the bending becomes a smooth function of time (as far as discrete samples in the sound file allow); in the case of using the pitch bending effect in Adobe Audition, the bpm changes according to an exponential function if the pitch change (in semi-tones) is set to be linear, or a more complex function if one uses arbitrary polynomial splines for the pitch change.

In those cases, the only way to be accurate is setting a new red timing point for each note in the map (in that case, the bpm set in each timing point becomes irrelevant). For approximating, allowing linear increases in speed would reduce the amount of timing points needed for a good approximation (and even less if quadratic changes are allowed, and even less if cubic changes are allowed, etc...); the example cheekyKup posted could be mapped exactly with linear changes in bpm.
Bonsai
This would probably be very hard to program for sliderlenghts, snapping a slider that crosses just one new timing section already seems too troublesome, I'd expect this suggestion to be even more complicated. And from my epxerience in timing a lot, I too think that not many songs would actually be correctly timed with this.