forum

Improving aim.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Baro-san
I wanna know other people's opinion on how much each of these things matter in osu! : Hardware, Technique, Skill. Ok so first of all, when I say technique I refer to the kind of grip you use: claw, palm or fingertip. Some people might say it is part of the skill thing, but when I say skill I mean just playing and getting better bit by bit.

Now let's begin with why I started this discussion: I kind of hit a wall and I don't know if it is only skill related or it's also my hardware and technique that are holding me back. My mouse is decent, I would go for a bigger one so I don't touch the mouse pad with my hand as much as I am right now but I think the biggest issue is my mouse pad, it's really old and it has the same surface on both faces, it doesn't have a sliding surface on the upper side and a gripping/sticky surface on the lower part, it has a sticky surface on both sides so it sometimes slides off when I move the mouse too fast because it can stick to my hand, and can really ruin my combo. I tried using double tape and it held it in place but I didn't feel any difference maybe because I got used to making small movements in order for it to not slide, so I was probably instinctively holding myself back, and it would take a lot of time to get used to it, but I discovered I like to move my mouse pad from time to time so I can't just tape it down anyway. Another thing that it stops me from doing properly is using my pinkie or thumb for more mouse control since it is hard to make a smooth slide on it, it's more like short sudden movements. I think this is all of the things I can't do because of my mouse pad. But the thing is, I don't know if these things are really impossible to do because of the mouse pad and I should buy a proper one, or they can be canceled out with enough practice.

Another thing that I think might help me is the grip I use. Right now I think the grip I use is called palm grip, really basic stuff, I just hold it like I held the mouse for the first time in my life, but maybe a claw grip or a finger grip might be better suited for Osu!, but I do not know if I am doing right and it feels really impractical after so much time using a palm grip.

In the end this topic has gotten quite long and maybe it fails to express what I wanted it to, so I'll say it again, will all of the problems be solved with enough practice or should I go to the store and get a decent mouse pad?
Endaris
Hardware can be a major drawback but only if it's a really shitty hardware setup.
Right now for example I'm sitting at my dad's PC and it's virtually impossible to play because the input devices have like 40-50ms input lag, the keys have pretty inconsistent actuation forces (tends to require more force on the keys closer to the edge), the mouse is not good (usually not a problem until like minimum 1500pp) and the mousepad is colored and doesn't have an even surface which means that my aim here is extremely wonky and the input lag makes it impossible for me to play with hitsounds here because it just sounds like garbage.
This is a setup that is definitely garbage and it's also a setup that you will probably never encounter on the desk of someone who plays video games of any kind in his free time.

If you think that a new mousepad would be a good investment you should definitely go for it as gaming is probably your hobby and reliable hardware - including a good mousepad but also a mechanical keyboard and stuff - just makes playing and working with your PC much more enjoyable. Regardless of osu!.

I would claim that the mousepad is not the cause of your problems to advance though as you simply did not play very much yet and your ranking graph is still rising. You shouldn't be worries about "not improving" as long as your rank is still getting better. It has to look like mine or even worse for you to be worried about that.
dung eater
60hz monitor is really shitty for aiming. The delay and low refresh rate of feedback makes being consistent very taxing. When improving, it can help you improve your blind awareness of aiming hand (muscle memory?). For performing 60hz is an extra burden.

You need a mouse and a keyboard that do not have flaws in their basic operation. If the mouse skips or jumps or kb doesn't register they are flawed. Whatever is under the mouse has to be something that works well with your mouse.
Kunino Sagiri
The real mystery is how you got a decent mouse and somehow screwed over a mere mousepad. Doesn't matter if you get every cheap non-gaming sub-optimal hardware as long as you invest in a good mousepad. It doesn't have to be expensive, just make sure it's smooth/rough depending on your preference and the surface is even.
I Give Up
Surface is just as important as the mouse sensor. You have to pick the friction and precision requirements that is right for you. The difference in consistency between playing on my warn out desk and my mousepad is HUGE. I wish I had a mousepad sooner could've saved a lot of headache!

If you're looking at getting a mousepad, I recommend a steelseries qck heavy (slippery) or a qck+ (not so slippery) as good starting points. Personally I'm using the heavy coz it is similar feel to my desk surface before it got warn out.