forum

The reason why tablet is (probably) better than mouse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Railey2
In light of current events

This thread is dedicated to everyone who thinks that it is "just" preference

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Some people may remember my last thread, where I made an outrageous statement by saying the following:
People have vastly different talent, and as a result of that, it is impossible for the majority to make it to the very top.

This thread is meant to continue my personal quest of debunking false statements that infested this communities collective mind.

My claim: Tablet is indeed generally better than mouse, when it comes to the purpose of gaining ranks in osu.

While there might be some pieces of anecdotal evidence that indicate the opposite, I believe that there is a large body of evidence that points in the other direction. There is also an argument to be made to refute the "just preference"-belief thoroughly.

1. The large body of observational evidence.

SPOILER
Keep in mind that some of following argument aren't knockdown arguments. There might be alternative explanations for why we observe things as they are. The observations do, however, suggest that my claim is true or at least more likely to be true.

1. most of the top-players do use a tablet (9 out of the top10), even though the rest of the player-base is notably divided.
    This is, of course, not a definite argument for my claim, but it is something we'd expect to see if tablet was in fact the better option, and something we would not expect to see (to such a big degree) if tablet and mouse were completely equal. This imbalance might be explained by other factors (such as tablets being popularized by star-players, or tablet feeling more comfortable while not necessarily giving any real benefits). I do, however think that the imbalance is too big to just be explained away with the two counter-explanations I gave.
    Here is spreadsheet of (most) high-ranked mouse players
  2. There are many instances where players reported a sudden and sharp increase in skill over a short period of time after acquiring a tablet, even though they had no prior experience with tablets.
    Now this is big. This is not something we would expect to see if tablet was less viable or just as viable as mouse.
    This, paired with a lack of reports of people buying a tablet and playing consistently worse with it, even after prolonged training, makes for a strong argument that tablets are generally more viable.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. "It's just preference"

SPOILER

Imagine you have a complex machine. That machine is huge, it gets millions of inputs and has millions of processing components, most of which are interconnected. At the end you get a result, which is a picture with 3 billion pixels, every single pixel being calculated by all the components of your machine, based on all the millions of inputs. Most bits of your machine had an effect on the result.
Now imagine you go in and change those inputs quite a lot, and you do a lot of twisting to the bits that do the processing and alter some variables here and there. Do you expect the very specific picture you get as output to still be the exact same?

The obvious answer here would be: No. Depending on how much you change in the system, the picture might resemble your old one, but at least some pixels would be missing, or have a different color.

The argument here is as follows: If you have two very complex systems that meticulously process all the information you give them, and you give them two significantly different inputs, you would never expect to get the exact same results.

Our brains are complex systems like that. To believe that "it doesn't matter what you put in, just what feels best to you will be ok“ (which is basically the argument for preference as I understand it), is simply wrong. Our brain is a supercomputer that is unbelievably intricate. Our intuition or feelings do not provide sufficient oversight. Not to mention that the brain adapts to the inputs you give it (that's why muscle memory is a thing, and thats why we can "learn" to read AR10.3). You change the system itself by feeding it different sorts of input. It is not „just preference“. When you talk about complex system such as the brain, you can always get a better result when you change some inputs around, and changing from mouse to tablet is quite a big change. To expect no difference between the two, is very unrealistic.

Suggesting that the input (aka using mouse or tablet, which use inherently different movements, absolute vs relative tracking, effective area, weight and agility) doesn't matter, or can be wholly analyzed just by seeing how you feel about it at the moment, is INSANE. You don't know which one of the two is better, and you also can not claim that the two are the same (aka: "it doesn't matter, it's just preference"). If you think it is that easy, just because it feels like that to you, then you are wrong.

In conclusion:

It is already false to assume that tablet vs. mouse is "just preference" (see argument 2). While there are examples of top players who use mouse, the majority of successful players use a tablet. On top of that, we have a large amount of players who gained a lot of skill pretty fast after acquiring a tablet, and a lack of reports on people buying a tablet and playing consistently worse with it, even after prolonged training. This, while not being definite proof, seems to suggest that tablet is the better option.
I concede that there will be exceptions. I claim that tablet is generally the better option for most people, long-term.
In absence of sufficient evidence to the contrary, I find it hard to believe that mouse is better than tablet.

There can be things said about relative vs. absolute positioning and mouse drift, but this thread is already long enough. However, these things that I don't touch on in this post, also favor tablet over mouse.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tl;dr:

it is
a) very unlikely to be „just preference“ from the way our brains work. It is to be expected that one is generally better than the other, as the two are so functionally different, so it becomes unlikely for them to have the same exact efficiency.
b) more likely that tablet is better, when we consider the observational evidence (skill-surges and number of high ranked players with tablet vs. high ranked players with mouse)
Therefore: If you're using mouse, buy a tablet. You'll probably be more successful with it.

What I didn't say (please don't get me wrong):
"It is impossible to get good with mouse"
"Tablet will always be the better option, for every player"
"AngelMegumin is a bad player"

discuss.
Zain Sugieres
lol.
E m i
yes this thread is better than the previous one at least

Railey2 wrote:

lack of reports on people buying a tablet and playing consistently worse with it, even after prolonged training.
That's definitely me as it took me a month to get as good with tablet+kb as i played mouse only lol
Topic Starter
Railey2

Momiji wrote:

yes this thread is better than the previous one at least

Railey2 wrote:

lack of reports on people buying a tablet and playing consistently worse with it, even after prolonged training.
That's definitely me as it took me a month to get as good with tablet+kb as i played mouse only lol
You'd be the first person I know who tried to play with tablet for a long period of time and failed. It seems rather uncommon. Of all the people I know (myself included), all of them stuck with tablet and also experienced the skill surge that I mentioned in my first spoilerbox.
Some even switched back and forth a couple and times just to stick with tablet.

Either way, I conceded that there might be exceptions, but that the overwhelming majority will profit from using a tablet over a mouse, making tablet the generally superior option.

Thanks for your comment.
Rurree
ctb is better anyway
KupcaH
play mania
Endaris
Topranks are gained via superior aim and speed. Tablet gives a very easy way to acquire the mobility needed for speedaim-maps out of the box while it has to be earned through a lot of practice with mouse. Tablet will still only get you so far as long as your tapping hand keeps up with the superior mobility.

My personal opinion on the whole matter is that it is arguably a lot easier to climb ranks with tablet at first but that true osu!-mastery is independent from the choice of your aimdevice as long as it's not a trackball or something similar as tablet and mouseplayers alike tend to get stuck with their tappinghand control somewhere.
B1rd
I could barely fc 3 stars with mouse. I used it for idk, 10k play count maybe.
E m i
Meh I don't think it's a failure since I wouldn't have gotten to this point playing mouse only and I can tell from having gone back and forth a lot. Tablet was always a lot less intuitive for me though, hence the ever-present difficulties that I'm having -.- :(
N0thingSpecial
Mouse is a preference cause I'm a cheap ass hoe that doesn't want a tablet in addition to my gaming mouse
dung eater
mouse has is better for staring at cursor because more responsive and smoother
Mahogany
Tablets have absolute tracking whereas mice do not.

That is literally the only advantage gained by using a tablet

Everything else comes down to the individual's skills and own proficiency with each device.

Christ railey stop posting stupid shit please
Rurree
just don't use shitty laser mice
Topic Starter
Railey2

Mahogany wrote:

Tablets have absolute tracking whereas mice do not.

That is literally the only advantage gained by using a tablet

Everything else comes down to the individual's skills and own proficiency with each device.

Christ railey stop posting stupid shit please
I don't think that you understand my post.

Of course it comes down to peoples skill and proficiency with each device. That's only stating the obvious. What I am saying is the following:

People tend to be more proficient with tablets compared to mice. When playing the same time with mouse and tablet, they tend to perform better with a tablet. I never took a guess as to why exactly it is the way it is (absolute vs. relative tracking might play a major role). I just took some observational evidence into account and made an argument to refute the "it's just preference"-belief, which led me to the conclusion that tablets are generally better.

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension. You had some pretty weird things to say in the other thread too.
Tae
the fun never ends
Stefan
taiko is fun

you don't need mouse to play so it saves money B)
Endaris

Railey2 wrote:

I never took a guess as to why exactly it is the way it is
10 minuspoints for misleading threadtitle then.
LoliPantsu
i didnt even read the thread but +1 postcount
Mittew

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Mouse is a preference cause I'm a cheap ass hoe that doesn't want a tablet in addition to my gaming mouse
this
Fxjlk
Here is a brief overview of your points you made to support the claim tablet is better than mouse:

1: The imbalance of tablet to mouse users among top players is too large to be a coincidence

A: Placebo effect, witch doctors and other false healers were insanely popular. Just because its popular doesn't mean it actually works. Its popular because everyone wants an edge and tablet is perceived to give that edge.

2: Sharp increase in skill after getting a tablet (Rohulk example)

A: I think that there was a sharp increase in skill not because he got a tablet but because "08.01.2015 - Started playing seriously"

3: Lack of reports where player play worse with mouse

A: This is best explained by an explanation I got off another mouse user on reddit

"I personally believe this is a motivation issue for a big part.
At some point all players hit a skill ceiling, and obviously they'd like to get past it. So, people start looking for ways to improve other than to "play more".
One of these attempts is switching to a tablet. When they do switch, regardless of whether or not they play better, they will keep playing with a tablet because they won't want to admit wasting money.
It also makes the game fun again, since it's a new challenge and something to learn, but not as frustrating as starting from scratch.
Forward a few weeks and they start improving, because they started playing more. This again makes them play more, because improving is fun.
Most top players will have gone through such an episode. That's why most top players play with a tablet."

4: Tablet and mouse are very different because the brain is a very complex system and its impossible to tell which is preferred

A: Not sure how this supports the objective of this post where the claim is that tablet>mouse. Yes they are very different especially when the brains perspective is concerned but what this thread is about is the skill advantage the peripherals give. They are different to the brain but indistinguishably close when it comes to skill ceiling. When people say its just preference I think they mean that you should use whatever feels more natural and this depends on what youve had more practice with in the past. For me its mouse because I've played waaaaaay too many video games on PC. For others its tablet because the pen is very similar to a pencil.

Final Note: Lets keep this discussion objective please, I liked Raileys last interesting thread but I couldn't be a part of it because it got locked.
show more