forum

So my virus scanner thinks Osu is a virus [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zeon Twilight
Norton says it's a virus before the download is even done, so I can't install the game. Now I'm curious what about osu's installer makes Nort think it's a virus.

Help on this matter, or at least an answer as to why would be very appreciated, since I can't really trust it (Or install it) If my virus scanner kills it with fire as soon as it exists.
James2250
Related to this (and there are a few other threads)
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=44128&p=662836&hilit=norton#p662836

Not sure there is too much you can do about it apart from turn Norton off for a minute or two. Don't worry the download is safe

(As for what is causing Norton to do this I have no idea, peppy or someone might know)
Topic Starter
Zeon Twilight
Yeah, I don't really think it's a virus, people who play EBA have to be cooler than those who wanna infect other people's computers with Malware, but I'd still like to know why (Other than "Norton sucks lol")
peppy
Are you getting the error when downloading the osu! install itself, or for beatmaps? Previous reports of Norton having issues have been when downloading beatmaps from certain mirrors, not the install itself. Is this what you are experiencing?

Including a copy+paste or screenshot of the error would help greatly.
Topic Starter
Zeon Twilight
It was for the program itself, I guess I can take a picture...

Picture attached, it basically kills the download as soon as it gets in, so, it REALLY doesn't trust it. Maybe someone messed with your download file? I'm not sure, let me know if this is normal though.

Also, this isn't with a mirror, it's with your main download that can be found in the download tab.

peppy
I like how it says "under 5 users" then "many users reported as a thread". I suggest uninstalling Norton software and moving to a better anti-virus suite.
Topic Starter
Zeon Twilight
Unfortunately that is not an option. It's an oddity, I'm really more curious what you think is causing it than the actual warning though. I'll probably run it by the virus scanner on my other computer and see if anything comes up, probably nothing will. Still, curiosity what do you think is doing it?
Polymelia
Download Malware bites. Pretty good for the free vrs. And AVG. B)
peppy
Did you read the message? It explains exactly what is causing it. Norton had 0-3 users report the executable as dangerous. So basically anyone who feels like calling a file dangerous will make it impossible for you to run it.

Norton are horrible; thread closed.
-Lune
oh then i played 3 months...but mum have virus this is really real? O_O
help like that O.O
-Lune
norton is really a virus i already deleted haha
Kittyneko
malwarebytes think osu! is a virus too
Keiger
lock this
Flanster
No need to bump threads which have been dead for years.