forum

Nardis - Cosmo Memory

posted
Total Posts
show more
B1rd
Don't like the highest difficulty much. The overuse of slow sliders just makes it an awkward map with no flow and it doesn't emphasize the music properly. The map up until the second kiai time is good, it feels like the map is building up to something. But the second kiai time is a real let down, it's the most intense part of the song yet it's mapped to the background beat with more slow sliders and occasional difficulty spikes. I think it needs more to be mapped more intensely (even if it's overmapped a bit) with more objects, a high spacing with less spacing variance and a better flow. Maybe some fast sliders could be nice here to contrast with the slow sliders at the start.

Just my opinion.
Topic Starter
Shiirn
You're entitled to that opinion, I agree that the map doesn't quite capture the power of the music, but given the limitations of this game (we're given a board and two buttons to click with, as opposed to other rhythm games with 4+ keys or other layers of capability) it's not going to be possible to pull out the power without either absolutely redonkulous spacing, or heavy overmaps that ignore what makes the music feel powerful to begin with.

Bear in mind Cosmo Memory was literally composed for a different rhythm game; one with 7 keys to play with. If you look up the gameplay videos of it (or play them yourself!), it very accurately captures the power of the hits by using three keys at once, and still being able to simultaneously follow the 1/2 melody with 2-3 other keys.

I can't do that here, so I used slow sliders and massive spacing. It's not going to be as effective, but I decided it was the most suitable way to follow the music without butchering it by simply making the sections formless 1/2 clicking sections.
Jakomo73
I personally love the hardest diff, I think it captures the music a lot with the emphasis. finally qualified tho WOOOOO
IamKwaN
Why isn't BMS in the Source?
Topic Starter
Shiirn
I honestly forgot to check whether it was necessary for BMS of fighters stuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't ever remember to actually put it in, I always assume I put it in at some point. Metadata is always a pisser.

DQ at will.
Kyouren
Where is hard icon diff?
Kyubey
Ugh... That's a fail I didn't expect to allow myself to do. However, since we shouldn't judge the difficulty by stars, this shouldn't really matter, I think?
IamKwaN
You can call me back.

KittyAdventure: Please always judge difficulty level by gameplay elements. If the spread is reasonable without consecutive icon, the concern does not exist. But if you find the spread really problematic, feel free to point it out with justification.
Kyouren
I mean Advanced diff is really far with hard diff (2.23 with 3.76) (Actually, I don't know about it ;__;)
Stjpa
Spread still fits because the only difference is spacing as Advanced has lots of 1/2 already.
Topic Starter
Shiirn
Updated with BMS as source.

KittyAdventure wrote:

I mean Advanced diff is really far with hard diff (2.23 with 3.76) (Actually, I don't know about it ;__;)
Star rating is a shit metric.
Izzz
In the top diff, the first timing point has 50% volume. Seems like it should have 5% considering the volume fade-in also done in ongaku's another.
Topic Starter
Shiirn
that would be an oversight with hitsound copying bugging over all over the place (Ongaku did his diff, copied to mine, we modified the hitsounds on mine, then copied it down, shit got confusing and buggy) and apparently the first line got overwtitten with the 50% the other diffs had at some point even though i swear to god i changed it to 5% at some point

KwaN is letting me change it to 5%.
IamKwaN
we are back
Weber
im dead on the inside
Lunicia
gj qualified
still shitmap bc of that diff mika's advanced LOL (just a joke pls don hurt me)
B1rd

Shiirn wrote:

You're entitled to that opinion, I agree that the map doesn't quite capture the power of the music, but given the limitations of this game (we're given a board and two buttons to click with, as opposed to other rhythm games with 4+ keys or other layers of capability) it's not going to be possible to pull out the power without either absolutely redonkulous spacing, or heavy overmaps that ignore what makes the music feel powerful to begin with.

Bear in mind Cosmo Memory was literally composed for a different rhythm game; one with 7 keys to play with. If you look up the gameplay videos of it (or play them yourself!), it very accurately captures the power of the hits by using three keys at once, and still being able to simultaneously follow the 1/2 melody with 2-3 other keys.

I can't do that here, so I used slow sliders and massive spacing. It's not going to be as effective, but I decided it was the most suitable way to follow the music without butchering it by simply making the sections formless 1/2 clicking sections.
The game is limited if you limit yourself to using the two keys to follow the music. You're forgetting that the thing that makes osu! unique is the aiming aspect. You can represent the music using a variety of different hit objects and spacings. You don't have to strictly map hit objects to different beats. You can map streams to emphasize a continuous sounds, you can map 1/2 jumps to the same, you can create your own mini sub rhythms, you can map hit objects to one sound while using flow and spacing to emphasize another sound, and you can switch between representing one sound of the song to another, et cetera. You can do all this while making a map that goes with the map very well.

I think with your current mapping you're actually ignoring what makes the music feel powerful. The long continuous sounds call for it objects that put the cursor in constant flowy motion, but with the spacing you've got you're emphasizing the background beat with the slow sliders and big transition jumps in between. You're also ignoring a lot of other background sounds that are great opportunities to map.
I had a go at mapping the song and I was able to fill the section with lots of fast 1/2 sliders, 1/4 sliders, spaced streams and jumps that are mapped to different parts of the music and follow the song well (sorry I don't know much music terminology). So I think a mapper like you should be able to do better.

btw, there is nothing really wrong with your newer creative style maps but I liked your old style better.
Kyouren
Gratzz >w</

EDIT: Why you adding BMS again in tags? xD (It's should be delete because already add to source lol)
Kyubey
Because it's a part of "bms of fighters". People will more likely find info about this event if they see it in the tags instead of just "of fighters".
erlinadewi-
can you give me source of Background?
Topic Starter
Shiirn

B1rd wrote:

The game is limited if you limit yourself to using the two keys to follow the music. You're forgetting that the thing that makes osu! unique is the aiming aspect. You can represent the music using a variety of different hit objects and spacings. You don't have to strictly map hit objects to different beats. You can map streams to emphasize a continuous sounds, you can map 1/2 jumps to the same, you can create your own mini sub rhythms, you can map hit objects to one sound while using flow and spacing to emphasize another sound, and you can switch between representing one sound of the song to another, et cetera. You can do all this while making a map that goes with the map very well.

I think with your current mapping you're actually ignoring what makes the music feel powerful. The long continuous sounds call for it objects that put the cursor in constant flowy motion, but with the spacing you've got you're emphasizing the background beat with the slow sliders and big transition jumps in between. You're also ignoring a lot of other background sounds that are great opportunities to map.
I had a go at mapping the song and I was able to fill the section with lots of fast 1/2 sliders, 1/4 sliders, spaced streams and jumps that are mapped to different parts of the music and follow the song well (sorry I don't know much music terminology). So I think a mapper like you should be able to do better.

btw, there is nothing really wrong with your newer creative style maps but I liked your old style better.
The issue with using the style that maps streams over continuous sounds and alternative interpretations to beats is that while I absolutely agree with you on this, and actually really want to map like this again, combining my old interpretive mapping style with my more modern structure and aesthetics, it's nearly impossible for me to rank something that doesn't adhere heavily to some form of modern standard.

Do you realize how incredibly difficult it would be for me to rank a map that has a stream over a continuous sound? Do you realize how incredibly frustrating it is to have even a slightly generous change in a musical pattern be ranked?

The current mapping community demands that maps be direct interpretations of the beat points in the music's rhythm. Doing anything other than that requires either sneaking your map into qualified/ranking with little to no fanfare until it's too late (Extremely subversive and slimy), or having such a strong 'political' pull on BNs and QAT to just push it anyway, which I don't have because I don't bother kissing ass or praising people to gain political points.

Overmapping beats is basically heresy. Utilizing constant flowbreaks is also basically heresy.

Cosmo Memory utilizes a specific style that lets me adhere to these modern rules while still pushing at least some creativity. It's not as much as it could have been, but it's hard enough for me to convince BNs to check my maps given my, and my map's, reputations.

One of the few things I feel that I do right as a mapper is that even people who are fans of some of my maps will dislike other maps, while people who are not fans of me will admit they like some of my other maps. This is because I try to vary my maps to fit the music, and when you map a large variety of music, you get a large variety of styles as a result. Nobody is going to like all my maps, and I'm quite proud of that. Every map of mine has a niche. You're just not in this one. That doesn't make me wrong, that just makes you not the target audience. Sorry, you're out of luck this time. Try my next map.
B1rd
I am not intimately familiar with the ranking system myself but I've always disliked it and the heavy regulations and restrictions it puts on mappers, and how it forces maps to conform to an the arbitrary standard of quality defined by the ranking community. I've spoken to a couple mappers who are frustrated about the difficulty of ranking good quality but unconventional maps. Well, it can be done, as Hollow Wings has shown, if you're willing to do a bit of pushing.
I think it's important for people to push the boundaries of the ranking criteria and I think mappers should do so if they have a good map that deserves to be ranked, rather than doing the equivalent of self-censoring their maps to conform.
Topic Starter
Shiirn
The fact of the matter is I'm willing to self-censor to rank my maps. If you don't like that, well, tough. I still bring fairly off-the-wall concepts and ideas, I'm just trying to make them palatable.