forum

How the f**k do YOU hold YOUR mouse when playing Osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ashens
Ok... The rage as gotten to me... As you can see from the title of this thread.

But anyway I ask one question and one question only, How do YOU hold your mouse. Because apparently sometimes my hand is grip is COMPLETELY FINE but the others times it like my f**king hand is having a meltdown and my accuracy goes all over the place ;_; Just imagine... A Velociraptor having a seziure AND a stroke at the same time and step- Well 'jumping' around on hot coals.... Yeh, Thats my hand most of the time.

Help... Please XC

Tornado
Read this first. t/240983

Just play slow maps and then get used for harder maps
Zain Sugieres
Mouse is for scrubs
-Makishima S-
Guy who played STD for 180k hits complain about mouse.

Good idea - take out your dick out of pants, put on mouse and play more...
You will develop proper grip with time.
But you don't fuckin play this game, you didn't even touched this game properly!
Stop posting bullshit screamer gifs and play more.
N0thingSpecial
Not sure if this is just a rant or you're legitimately asking for advice, either way play more
Aquamarine
Ideally first you want a proper grip. Remove the tension from your hands and arms by stretching them. Relax your fingers and shake them to stabilize blood flow. Although not ideally perfect, here's a method on how to find a grip. Take your left hand a place it on the keys you use on Osu. Now observe your right hand and attempt to replicate the general feel and shape of your left. It should feel relaxed and potentially a bit too loose. That's ok it's supposed to be like that. It does not have to look perfect, in fact it's not recommended unless it feels natural. You do not want strain on your grip, your muscles will learn how to aquire it's shape on its' own. Now, place the palm of your right hand onto the middle of the mouse's center of gravity. There probably is errors and left out details in this methodology but I do not care to write in length.

After you have a grip on your mouse, move your hand up-down-left-right and all extremities while fixating your eyes on the cursor. This is important as it helps your brain connect the nerves you are utilizing on your new grip to visual and peripheral.

If you are having a "meltdown" as described, your brain is probably trying to process an overload of information which is fine but as a result, it may temporary toss out some other functions such as grip of mouse and exact precise location of the cursor or circle which leads to you not learning the muscle memory of your right hand. That may be potentially why you describe the word "stroke" om the OP. A stroke may occur under very extreme amounts of mental and physical pressure but of course it doesn't happen often and thankfully if it does happen you do know the roots of what caused the stroke which simply means you just have to relearn the game again... by simply playing with conscious effort. Prioritize your technique and take things at your own pace. I do not clearly understand what causes a seizure but it would make sense for some reason that it may be associated with eyes and brain- your brain is not identifying the shapes and patterns and colors that your eyes see and the overload of pressure results in after imagines to your brain enough to cause the brain to spazz out, or something.

Anyways I'm rambling. There's so much details and potentially mislead information in my writing but I don't want to write in length unless I know there's interest in the other side.

BTW, people that say mouse is inferior or tablet is better simply has not thought about it deeply, or are unable to due to various factors. It's simply the norm to listen what the majority believes and hold it as fact so much as to be vocal about it. There's are benefits and cons to mouse or tablet usage and it's mostly related to learning, not "skill". If you're used to a pen grip like you have your entire school years writing and looking at the time, it might make sense that it appears you do better with a tablet, you know. I have not thought about it too deeply but I believe mouse is superior actually. The grip is more ideal as it intuitively replicates the shape, nerves, and pressures of the other hand. The result of a more even circulation of blood pressure in your entire body results in clearer thinking and focus. Also, I know for a fact from in-game experience that there is unlimited potential in the movement and accuracy and velocity of my mouse. I have also played with mouse and tablet for extended long amounts of time playing maps with of all difficulites which includes 6-8+ ones. I have used tablet with its size as small as possible, and full area, and everything in between. Again, this was not for a short time; for small, for large, etc. I have changed my pen grip a few numerous amounts of time. The inconsistency here is that I change my grip progressively but whatever. For mouse, I have played with speed around 800dpi and I believe 2000dpi. Currently I play with a X/Y axis custom 600/900 windows setting 6. There may be a way for higher velocity in mouse movement related to windows speed, but really I do not want to bother with something that feels near perfect.

Many edits because OCD. Always something more to add on to.
Fxjlk
My brother has played video games since he was 2 so he holds the mouse 90 degrees off of the usual grip and uses his thumb to left click and his index to right click. You should try it, its free pp
Aquamarine
I do something similar to that with my left hand, have been since I was little. It's part of my muscle now I believe. It's that big bump below your wrist, I think? The tension you place on that hand makes the hand stronger. I remember how my guitar teacher once complimented me like he was in awe, referring to that hand. I remember him saying he wished he had a hand like that and later wondering to himself the reasoning why, "you play piano right?" Intertwine your fingers together in front of you, with your palms facing away from you showing its back. Have your arms parallel to the floor. Now rotate your hands only, by 90 degrees outward. Next, lift your hands only, downward to the floor. Yours hands are set now, do not break the tension and use your arms if you want to position yourself somewhere. Be sure to stretch on occasion or else it would sense that you will develope arthritis.

Now that I think about it, I do this with my right hand now too. My left is much more dexterous probably because of experience. Only started using my mouse properly a few years ago, in addition my left hand grew up during my learning spree, so to speak.

To create the imagine your friend has, where it appears it is 90 degrees, the shoulders need to be repositioned. Simply twist your arm inward to you. I don't know if that's a good idea BTW. I do not know well the effects of shoulder stress I mainly just use my hands. As I think about it, poor technique with shoulders may lead to heary attack or stroke, depedning on the side. Rotating shoulders is not the correct way btw, and I do not want to bother figuring out what is correct right now.

I think thumb as a click may just be bad habit, but I only say this because it's usual at first glance. Your thumb is a very strong muscle naturally, as well as your index. Hmmm I can see it working. But really, when your train your fingers eventually they all become the same strength as the work you put into it. Using your thumb means you can only stabilize your mouse from one direction which would be the right part of your hand. I do not care to bother to think if this is a benefit or hindrance.
I Give Up
Probably you are using a bad mouse or laser sensor w/e. Mouse can be very frustrating to play with because of drift. Ensure you are using a good mouse like in the list here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0 Eat healthy and get plenty of rest before you play. Good luck.
Endaris

Mouse wrote:

Hold me tight.
Gah.
Firm yet gentle.
Frikandel
Sometimes I feel like I have a bad grip too but idk. It's probably all in my head cuz if I keep playing it usually sorts itself out within an hour.
Topic Starter
Ashens
Thanks for the advice everyone! I will take it in my stride!

F**k you [Taiga]...

=)
Topic Starter
Ashens
KukiMonstor and Frikandel, thanks for actually helping instead of just crying ^_^

#F**kyoutaiga
-Makishima S-
Spare ... are senpai ^_^
Cannot get serious guy who consider well known blatant cheater as "senpai"...
Vohlx
I don't hold my mouse.
Buster
i have the same problem
im rank #152k in std and i also farm top 50 on new and old maps
i play with mouse but everytime i get to the middle of a song i lost my grip causing my mouse to shake a little
but still im not giving up to be a mouse player
cocoalatte
Rn, I'm using a claw/finger grip with pressure on middle finger + 4/5th fingers as far down on the side of the mouse as they can go (without stopping movement)
also stopped using a mousepad so my wristbone (w/e you call that thing that you pivot your arm around on) sticks to the table.
solved all my slipping issues for now