New screen
59.91%
Keep old
40.09%
Total votes: 232
Topic Starter
Arnaud
Hey whats up guys
I wanted to know if it is necessary to update my 60hz screen to a 120hz or even 144hz,
because I cannot read patterns anymore because they are so quick xD

I have tried lowering my scroll speed but that only made it worse..

Should I buy a new screen or no?
Ayaya
I'm using a 60hz monitor and look how far my top scores are. Pretty sure it isn't the 60hz screen problem you can't read patterns at certain speed, just that your eyes aren't use to the speed. You could upgrade your monitor maybe for a slight push but make sure you have more than 120 or 144 fps.
snoverpk_old
it's irrelevant until you're really good at the game
Topic Starter
Arnaud
its just that it has been a while since I got better at the game.. I have been stuck for about 3 months and its annoying
Yuudachi-kun
Im using 60hz too~~~
juankristal
If you are planning to update your monitor just because of osu then, you might as well just keep yours. I dont even know if it is that needed in mania anyways.

Most of the players I know plays with 60hz and they are good as hell.
abraker
Only plus side to higher hertz is less note ghosting, in which case I'd just wait until the new osu! gets pushed where vsync doesnt destroy the fps
Tripletth
If you lower your native resolution in windows you might be able to get more Hz from your monitor. Mine goes from 60>75 if I slash my resolution in half.
abraker

Tripletth wrote:

If you lower your native resolution in windows you might be able to get more Hz from your monitor. Mine goes from 60>75 if I slash my resolution in half.
Do you happen to have CRT monitor (not a flat display)?
Bobbias
As Ayaya said, you're not being limited by the refresh rate of your screen. You've never said what speed you use, so I can't say for sure that "ghosting" is the problem, but it's very likely. It's completely possible to learn to read speeds where ghosting becomes an issue properly. Buying a higher refresh rate monitor will make things a bit easier to read, but it will not magically make you better at the game either. If you have other reasons to buy a high refresh rate monitor (for example, if you also play FPS or other games that benefit from high refresh rates, and particularly if you have a graphics card that supports something like gsync) then it might be worth it. But if mania is the only reason you're considering this i'd say it's not really worth it.
Sorafu_old_1
The jump fron 60 to 120 is pretty extreme in games like FPS's but in osu! it isn't that needed to replace your old one unless you had the money to do so. Having bad days or not performing as good as you want isn't your monitor, it's your skillcap and once your break that threshold and start improving then maybe the monitor will come in handy. Patterns being too difficult has nothing to do with your monitor.
B1rd
I'd definitely recommend a 144hz monitor, especially for osu!mania. I can't promise it will make you play a lot better but it is much nicer to look at.
Kempie
You don't need a 60hz screen. There are a lot of people playing VSRG's on 60hz monitors, including overjoy BMS players, and it doesn't seem to hold them back a whole lot. The same applies to mechanical keyboards. There are some really good players using membrame keyboards. If you have trouble reading, you're much better off practicing.

If ghosting is an issue, you can try lowering your scroll speed. Then add a lane cover to your skin, or raise your hit position in your skin to reduce the amount of notes visible at any time.
Bobbias
Or play flashlight. Flashlight is an extreme way to reduce the amount of stuff visible, meaning a much lower scroll speed to compensate.

Anyway, the answer is indeed the same as mech KBs. It's not gonna make you better, but it could help. Basically the price isn't worth what little effect it might have. But if you really want a high frequency monitor it's not gonna hurt anything other than your bank account.
Yuudachi-kun

Bobbias wrote:

Basically the price isn't worth what little effect it might have.
That is entirely subjective and a terrible statement
Bobbias
1: Buying a high frequency monitor will not make you better at mania. (see: every thread discussing mechanical keyboards, this is exactly the same)
2: High frequency monitors are still more expensive.
3: The only benefit from high frequency monitors is a reduction in ghosting at high scroll rates, which is a minor advantage at best, since it's been proven that top tier players do not require this to read high scroll rates and complicated patterns where ghosting could actually make a difference.
$: In conclusion, it's not really worth it, unless you're rich enough to not care, or have other reasons for buying a high frequency monitor (or you just want one, regardless of any other reason).

Can he still chose to buy a high frequency monitor? Sure, it's his money, and I'm not gonna say it's completely useless. The question is whether or not the advantage is worth the cost, and in my analysis it's not. Just like mechanical keyboards. There are benefits, but those benefits are not enough to be worth the price of using them. It comes down to preferences, rather than cost effectiveness. I can't speak for his preferences, but I can speak for the cost effectiveness of high frequency monitors.
ArcherLove
i use 59hz (60) old monitor ww
Topic Starter
Arnaud
woah thanks guys for all the responses ! :D i appreciate it.
Topic Starter
Arnaud
UPDATE:
Got a 160hz screen (overclockable to 180hz, which I always will do), not only for osu! purposes.
Totally worth it. I love it.
yetii
But did you actually improve by getting it?
Topic Starter
Arnaud
i wouldnt say i improved but it does feel way easier