forum

osu! World Cup 2016 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Athrun
It feels weird not seeing Japan on that list.
Frc
Welcome to the worst OWC this far! I'm so hyped for this!
Izzz

fartownik wrote:

with the Loved section added I believe the maps chosen could also automatically gain that status after being picked for OWC. This could sort out some issues with maps being reused over and over plus it would give mappickers a lot more space to work with.
You should really consider doing this with other modes at least, since they all use a ton of unranked maps. I'd really appreciate it if you could retcon past world cups too, since otherwise maps such as https://osu.ppy.sh/b/885078&m=3 and https://osu.ppy.sh/b/697682&m=3 will never have a scoreboard :(
Nakatoru
Sir, why didn't we qualify this time? :(
Athrun

Frc wrote:

I sense OWC 2014 Deja vu
buny
No drama or complaints yet, actual constructive discussion in the tournament thread, as well as responsive management.

I think this is the best one so far yet.
Frc

Athrun wrote:

Frc wrote:

I sense OWC 2014 Deja vu
2014 at least had decent teams LUL
fartownik

a loli wrote:

No drama or complaints yet, actual constructive discussion in the tournament thread, as well as responsive management.

Wait for it 8)
Frc

a loli wrote:

Wait wait this is sarcasm right
Nwolf
yes OWC is so bad because Japan isn't playing!!

wait they only got to Group Stage last year because Japanese players didn't want to play then too...
Osten
Cof cof cof South Korea XD
Frc

Ntiger wrote:

wait they only got to Group Stage last year because Japanese players didn't want to play then too...

Nice meme saying OWC is bad just because of Japan.

I mean it's pretty much already known lots of teams don't get competitive players because they don't even care about OWC at this point with the mess of other years.
Caput Mortuum
better prepare some popcorn.
Topic Starter
Loctav

Frc wrote:

Ntiger wrote:

Nice meme saying OWC is bad just because of Japan.

I mean it's pretty much already known lots of teams don't get competitive players because they don't even care about OWC at this point with the mess of other years.
you must be following a different tournament than I do.
Frc

Loctav wrote:

You must not have asked a lot of players then lol, pretty much everyone in Spain was like that
chainpullz

Frc wrote:

Loctav wrote:

You must not have asked a lot of players then lol, pretty much everyone in Spain was like that
Spain has a lot of players? :? :? :? :? :?
Athrun
Seeing how the mappool looked like back in 2015, I'm honestly looking forward to this year's mappool.
buny
Spain is pretty low rank without waaiiru who didn't sign up this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't qualify in the 32 spots.
moonrabbit2

Loctav wrote:

We don't need 500 people suggesting THE BIG BLACK (again)

lmao xd
Frc

a loli wrote:

Spain is pretty low rank without waaiiru who didn't sign up this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't qualify in the 32 spots.

Well they classified too bad for you 2015
buny
Didn't actually see the updated roster, just assumed they weren't on there since there was a post from a top rank Spain player that was asking why they weren't on the list.
Mashiro-
here's a comprehensive list I made, hopefully it helps
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... k/pubhtml#
Topic Starter
Loctav
massive roster update, just one team missing \:D/
nya10
Hello , might I ask about how seeding works this time?
Is it from the top 4 average pp or top 6/8 average pp?
Kert
To the tournament staff:
Please, keep in mind that some teams don't have a single timezone for all of its players. This is very important.

And one more thing:
> Rescheduling after the release of the Schedule on the wiki can not be done in any circumstance.
I would like to suggest one possible exception to this rule. All conditions should be met.
Allow the rescheduling to take place if captains of both teams agree and the new time for the match is still within the same weekend. In double elimination stages the new time must not overlap / influence the time of the possible further matches.

The team availability should have a higher priority than the availability of people who livestream the matches.
Thank you.
chainpullz

Kert wrote:

To the tournament staff:
Please, keep in mind that some teams don't have a single timezone for all of its players. This is very important.

And one more thing:
> Rescheduling after the release of the Schedule on the wiki can not be done in any circumstance.
I would like to suggest one possible exception to this rule. All conditions should be met.
Allow the rescheduling to take place if captains of both teams agree and the new time for the match is still within the same weekend. In double elimination stages the new time must not overlap / influence the time of the possible further matches.

The team availability should have a higher priority than the availability of people who livestream the matches.
Thank you.
The only issue I see with this is as soon as you introduce more wishy-washy rules like this you end up with situations where one side begrudgingly accepts a reschedule with uncertainty about whether everyone can make it (since it's at a time other than the scheduled one) but if they were to decline they would look like bad sports. Fast forward a few days, some people can't make it like they thought they could, there are arguments over who should get the free win, it all blows up because there are thousands of spectators and reddit is always hungry to turn anything into a major drama.

TL;DR: Sounds like a good idea but in practice there are a lot of ways it can blow up.
Topic Starter
Loctav
We are not altering the scheduling rules, especially not to what you proposed, because it backfired at minimum 6 times in the course of 2 years when we did exactly that.
Team availability or availability of people to stream the stuff has no input in scheduling. Scheduling happens solely around the intention to give everyone a suitable time to play. We are not allowing rescheduling, because if one team requests it, all teams request it and then we have OWC#2 all over again, where one team never makes it to the Grand Finals, because they constantly want to reschedule - or TWC#3 where one bunch of teams was kind enough to make arrangements to attend to the matches, whereas other people felt like they have to reschedule just because they can't get ther ass up out of bed before midday.
Topic Starter
Loctav
On other news, all rosters are now complete!

I am excited to see how these teams will play in this year's competition. Keep in mind that the drawings will take place on Friday, 4. November 2016 at 12:00 UTC+0 on the osulive twitch.tv channel. After the drawings, we will showcase the mappool for Group Stage. The schedules for Group Stage will be released on Sunday, as always.
Chikarou
Made a few tables to do with team pp averages and top 4 pp averages if anyone's interested. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8R1J30WdQJ1THFpQlJmRkR2b3M/view
nya10

Loctav wrote:

We are not altering the scheduling rules, especially not to what you proposed, because it backfired at minimum 6 times in the course of 2 years when we did exactly that.
Team availability or availability of people to stream the stuff has no input in scheduling. Scheduling happens solely around the intention to give everyone a suitable time to play. We are not allowing rescheduling, because if one team requests it, all teams request it and then we have OWC#2 all over again, where one team never makes it to the Grand Finals, because they constantly want to reschedule - or TWC#3 where one bunch of teams was kind enough to make arrangements to attend to the matches, whereas other people felt like they have to reschedule just because they can't get ther ass up out of bed before midday.
Regardless of the scheduling I think based on the previous world cup, the tournament manager has did well in scheduling the game, I rarely see (or never) the match outside their usual biological sleep and wake cycle. I hope this year scheduling will go well again
Ambrew
No xilver on team USA,, ? #saddayinosu :c
He Ang CTB
Wow :O This map pool has Nightcore maps and 07th Expansion maps! It also has a few CWC songs, I'm so HYPED \o/

Sadly I will only be able to play decent Osu!Standard in about 2030 :X
Kert
I love the Group Stage mappool.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Schedule is out. I will update the wiki with groups and stuff tomorrow, when I feel a tad better. Check the wiki for more details!
fabriciorby

Loctav wrote:

Schedule is out. I will update the wiki with groups and stuff tomorrow, when I feel a tad better. Check the wiki for more details!
Brazil is UTC-3 on Saturday and UTC-2 on Sunday, it confused me a bit.
FoxCat

This year OWC:

Hahah ^_^

Note: Nothing against lewa btw
Topic Starter
Loctav
fixed some oddities in the schedule regarding local times. the UTC times remained unchanged for all (so no actual schedule change)
fartownik
I think you forgot to add groups into Wiki
CXu
Do we get a stream schedule? To know which matches are being streamed.
nya10
I wonder where is the data spreadsheet.
show more