forum

Community Mentor Program Winter 2016 [Ask questions here!]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yuii-
The second cycle of the Community Mentor Program was announced and we thought it would be a great idea to allow the community ask any sort of questions regarding the program. Mostly for those who cannot post in the Beatmap Management forum.

I will probably edit this post and make a little FAQ below if I see something worth highlighting.
thexo
How are you/the mentors deciding the mentee they pick? It's not first to come first to serve, is it?
Topic Starter
Yuii-
No, not at all. Mentors are completely free to decide who they want to choose as their mentee(s). They first look up for those people who applied to them as first/second option; if they don't feel comfortable with any of them, then they are completely free to go throughout the whole list.
_DT3
You should …
have ranked osu! beatmaps of any kind
This part in the mentor section, what do you mean with "any kind"?
Topic Starter
Yuii-
Standard, Taiko, Catch the Beat, osu!mania

Basically we want to make sure mentors truly know the ranking process and how it works/how to behave, as well as being able to explain their mentees in case they want to push something forward!
Okoratu

Yuii- wrote:

Basically we want to make sure mentors truly know the ranking process and how it works/how to behave, as well as being able to explain their mentees in case they want to push something forward!
actually i was referring to GDs and your own sets as examples of ranked maps but whatever yuii said applies as well, somewhat. ha
Grim Rapper
is it already closed?
HYPE!
Kin

Yuii- wrote:

so someone that miss ONLY one mod not ranked can't be mentor ? As example, I've mapped and ranked every mod except mania.
Okoratu

Okorin wrote:

actually i was referring to standard GDs and your own sets as examples of ranked maps but whatever yuii said applies as well, somewhat. ha
_DT3
What I thought about that was basically: Have something ranked (GD or own mapset) of any mode to fit one criteria of the mentors...?
Okoratu
it's worded as a guideline, having experience on how to go through the ranking process never reallly hurts, the mode doesn't matter much though it'd be cool if standard mappers mentored standard mentees lol.
Endaris
Reading competence is probably one of the undocumented requirements *runs*

Also since when can I no longer delete posts when none answered ? :/
[Hiiro Sakaki]
The selection of mentee only happens once the applications are closed? Or if we apply early, and a mentor wants us, we can be selected earlier?
Okoratu
To clarify:

mentors may make their choice at any time when they found someone they want to work with. That way we aim to keep the amount of people which are denied in the same step relatively low in comparison to the other alternative of waiting it out until the end
tejjy
As mentees, will we be notified if we're picked up by a mentor, or should we just keep checking the thread?
EDIT: Also, if both of our top choices pick another mentee, should we resubmit preferences, or do we just hope someone else picks us?
Okoratu
Seems like we'll outline the Application process in more detail on the thread as that seems necessary :D

To answer that question: Feel free to resubmit if both your top choices pick someone else if you're unsure. We'll just assume the most recent application is the only one existing so you should come up with reasoning for the other mentors you would like to be taught by.

Mentees will be PMd and given the choice to decline the invitation if they don't feel comfortable.
[Hiiro Sakaki]
What's the probability so far not to be choosen?
_DT3

[Hiiro Sakaki] wrote:

What's the probability so far not to be choosen?
It always depends on the mentor's preference/amount of current applicants to that mentor
Rhythm Frienemy
Is it possible to know which mentors aren't mentioned yet or only have 1 mentions?
Okoratu
We discussed that most of the not so popular choices were kind of sad about it and didn't want to be mentioned, but we'll continue mentioning who is gathering a lot (10+ apps) interest, so you can just combine that the rest isn't gathering as much attention
Ritzeh
literally send me to any mentor next time. i dont care